Gransnet forums

Chat

Children in Pubs

(76 Posts)
WadesNan Wed 26-Jun-19 09:19:12

A local pub is in the news because it has posted "rules" for children on its premises:

No children under the age of 10 to be in the pub after 6.00 pm.

All children must be sat at a table with adults whether eating or not

No free roaming, running, scootering or climbing

Parents are also asked to be mindful of other customers if their children start screaming and shouting.

The landlord was interviewed on local radio and he said he recently had to quickly scoop up a child who was in front of the kitchen door just as a waiter came through with platefuls of hot food.

One parent complained saying the rules put "too much pressure on parents"

I think it sad that any establishment has to post a set of rules which are basically just good parenting anyway.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:27:38

I agree that it's sad that it's necessary to put these rules up. Dare I say 'nowadays' some parents who let their kids run wild spoil it for the others.
I used to clean at a nursery - two signs appeared.
1. Please make sure that the plug-hole in the sink is left clear after use.
2. Wash your hands after nappy-changing.
These should be 'common sense' - but they're not. How standards have fallen.
The boss told me that with every new in-take the children and their parents were worse than the previous.

TwiceAsNice Wed 26-Jun-19 09:35:25

Food for him! I took my children and my daughter takes her children out to eat since very small . They were not allowed to run around we took plenty of things to amuse them at the table and actually talked to them ( don’t get me started about parents on phones for whole meal and children ignored!)

As for not having to be reminded about hand washing that’s disgusting but I have seen many adults leave a in toilet without washing their hands and then presumably going back to their table and touching food

TwiceAsNice Wed 26-Jun-19 09:36:06

Good not food damn autocorrect

TerriBull Wed 26-Jun-19 09:36:33

I think his rules sound pretty reasonable, of course it's nice to take children out to eat, but there have to be some caveats, such as instilling in them the need to consider the other people around them. We did take ours out from an early age and they knew it was a treat that could be withdrawn if they didn't behave, we always took books, colouring pencils etc. to keep them amused between courses. We went to France a lot when they were young and ate out when we were there quite a bit and I always remember French children never got up at careered around quite the way I have observed that, on occasions, here. My stand out memory was being in a coffee chain and 2 very young children, under 5, were racing around the tables, whilst customers were gingerly stepping round them with cups of coffee. It takes a lot to rile the staff in such places but when one fell over a member of staff did come over to the parent in question and ask them to leave, the laid back dad had made no effort to try and get them to stop shock

WadesNan Wed 26-Jun-19 09:43:30

Just heard a mother interviewed on local radio saying that just because she is a parent and takes her child out it doesn't mean she wants to spend the whole time with her child! I am really having a problem getting my head round that one.

I know the majority of parents are responsible but there is a growing minority who think being a parent means rules don't apply to them.

Septimia Wed 26-Jun-19 09:44:54

There seems to be a lack of parenting skills, common sense and respect for others.

I can't believe how often you see toddlers trailing around after parents who are taking no notice of them. The child could be abducted, wander into the road, or just simply get left behind. My DS and later DGD were always held by the hand (or on reins - how many times did I stop DS falling over!) or under close scrutiny. DS quickly learnt not to interfere with things in shops as my mum worked in a chemists and he was told in no uncertain terms not to touch. He was so well-behaved in a shop in Bergen that they gave him a present!

Cabbie21 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:57:44

My grandchildren are a delight to be out with as they have been well brought up and know how to behave. I love having conversation with them. I have to say though that if there is a children’s play area outside, they do ask if they may play there after they have finished eating. They are horrified by other children who are allowed to run around or make excessive noise. It spoils it for others. Often I have left a cafe early as it is too noisy to hear yourself speak.

lmm6 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:08:10

I don't like children in pubs. I like old-style pubs with old furniture and decor and subdued lighting. I think what the OP is talking about is gastro pubs which are more restaurants than pubs. This is different but parents definitely should keep their children under control. I agree with that landlord 100%. A pub chain near us gives children coloured pencils and colouring books. The floor is often covered with these things once the children leave. DH and I don't go there any more. It's not what we want from a pub. It's more like a creche.

Sara65 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:08:40

Wadesnan

That is just awful!

sodapop Wed 26-Jun-19 10:15:58

Those rules are eminently sensible and as you say Wade'snan just good parenting.
Can't believe that mother on the radio, hopefully she is in the minority.

goldengirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:43:21

What's the old adage? Children should be seen and not heard!!! Couldn't agree more. Three cheers for the pub landlord. If there'd been an accident you can bet it wouldn't be the parent landing in the dock

JessK Wed 26-Jun-19 10:49:13

Yes, buy that man a drink! Can't stand parents who think everyone else should be delighted by the antics of their children whilst they completely ignore them.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Jun-19 10:51:32

My parents were publicans I lived in/above pubs growing up, my children grew up staying in "Grandads pub".

The majority of parents keep their children under "control", as usual it is the small minority spoiling things for the rest.

Children should not be allowed near the bar, and it was illegal (think it still might be) to have children in an area with slot machines.

Esther1 Wed 26-Jun-19 12:44:48

We take our GC out to eat from time to time and always choose child friendly establishments but I also make sure I have interesting little surprise toys/books tucked away in my bag in case they need a diversion. I wouldn’t dream of letting them run round or annoy other diners and staff. It’s actually quite stressful for me making sure the children stay polite and quiet, and can be quite hard work - but I take this upon myself, to ensure the little ones respect other people but still at the same time enjoy a lovely treat of a meal out. I don’t take them out expecting to have a relaxing time myself - it’s just parenting, and absolutely rewarding when I can feel proud of their good behaviour.

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Jun-19 13:43:17

Talking of badly behaved children...……

A couple of weeks ago DH and I were in a National Trust café having a pot of tea. A family came in, parents, two children and the grandparents. They chose a table, sat down, but then the boy, around 6 or 7 stood up and in a loud voice declared "I don't want to sit here, I want to sit THERE" pointing to another table.

"But we have just sat down here" said the father. "But I want to sit at THAT table" the child repeated.

The petulant boy walked over to the other table, sat down and stared at his parents and grandparents.

This will be interesting, I thought.

To my horror the parents got up and walked over to the other table and sat down. The poor grandparents shot a look at each other, wearily got their jackets from the back of the chairs and walked over to join the family.

Honestly, is this typical behaviour these days ? I couldn't believe how 4 adults could be dictated to by one small child. Heaven knows what the grandparents thought.

sunseeker Wed 26-Jun-19 13:51:26

JenniferEccles That reminds me of the time I was in a cafe with a friend who used to be a teacher. A child was running around, grabbing things off tables and generally being a nuisance - behaviour which was totally ignored by his parents.

He got to our table and reached out to pick something up, my friend, leaned towards him and quietly said "Go Away". The look of shock on his face was a picture - he returned to his parents table and sat there quietly for the rest of our stay! His parents said and did nothing - probably hadn't noticed!

EllanVannin Wed 26-Jun-19 13:52:58

I know what I'd have done had I been the parents of that brat, JenniferEccles, hahahaha.

GillT57 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:53:21

As someone who worked as a waitress in my youth, and spent many a Sunday afternoon dodging small children while carrying plates of hot food, I applaud the landlord. I always avoid pubs which advertise 'family friendly' for it means (a) children making a noise and (b) dreadful food. I know this is a sweeping generalisation, but my children are adults now, were taken out to eat from a very early age, knew how to behave, talk, use cutlery, enjoy the experience, and I have no intention of spending my free time with other people and their children who do not. I also think it is really unfair to take small children out after 8pm and expect them to sit at a table for hours while adults eat, drink and chat, it is little wonder the children get bored and misbehave.

moggie57 Wed 26-Jun-19 15:00:29

i think there should be an area for children. but no children after 6pm is good as most children are tired by then. ok i know some stay up later.but evenings are for relaxing time.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Jun-19 15:03:11

I saw a sign in a shop which read, "Naughty children will be rounded up and sold as slaves" which made me chuckle but I expect we're not allowed to laugh at that any more.
Yes, I know that real slavery is no laughing matter.

suziewoozie Wed 26-Jun-19 15:09:38

I’ve seen in a cafe ‘ unsupervised children will be given a puppy and a double espresso’

Beckett Wed 26-Jun-19 15:17:46

My brother told me of a sign he had seen in a cafe

To avoid accident or injury to your child whilst the little darling is running around this establishment why not hand the little poppet to a member of staff who will be happy to nail it to your table for you

Oldwoman70 Wed 26-Jun-19 15:21:08

I saw a sign in a garden centre which said Naughty children will be composted

Riverwalk Wed 26-Jun-19 15:51:50

I've just returned from Switzerland staying in a small family-run hotel. One morning in the breakfast room sat four very young Swiss children aged about 4-5 by themselves!

They sat quietly chatting and getting up and down to help themselves to rolls, fruit & bircher muesli. In the UK it would have been very anti-social to send your young kids down to breakfast unsupervised! But these parents must have known that they would behave. smile