Gransnet forums

Chat

Never leaving the house again!!

(101 Posts)
WadesNan Wed 26-Jun-19 11:06:11

Just got off the phone with a friend. She told me she has recently read an article which said that people look worse in real life than how they see themselves in the mirror.

Based on that I should either never leave the house again, wear a very thick mask or star in horror films grin

gillybob Wed 26-Jun-19 11:12:49

Blimey me too WadesNan shock

I am an ugly cow when I look in the mirror, so crikey knows what I must look like to others. My face can ruin any photograph so as soon as I see a camera I duck for cover (to save them having to cut round me) grin

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Jun-19 11:13:59

WadesNan..............Noooooooooo!!!!

Don't listen to her, we are all gorgeous, every laughter line tells a story of fun times!!!

crazyH Wed 26-Jun-19 11:16:30

This is a good fun thread.
The back of my head looks better than my face, so I walk backwards grin

janeainsworth Wed 26-Jun-19 11:22:16

My worst moments are when I put a contact lens in. I only wear one in one eye, when I'm going out, so I can read restaurant menus.
Suddenly my lines and frown marks are brought into very sharp focusshock

MawBroonsback Wed 26-Jun-19 11:23:15

I always think my declining eyesight is nature’s way of compensating for my reflection in the mirror

Sara65 Wed 26-Jun-19 11:25:40

Mawbroonsback

That’s exactly what I think!

Anniebach Wed 26-Jun-19 11:33:30

No problem for me, I don’t have mirrors

Riverwalk Wed 26-Jun-19 11:33:37

jane I'm also a one eye wearer so I can read menus and price tags without putting the specs on and off!

It's no surprise to me that we look worse than what we see in the mirror - only have to look at photos or the dreaded live image when you Facetime, etc! shock

HildaW Wed 26-Jun-19 12:06:58

crazyH....I too have a better back of head....my darling Mum would always say of a new haircut....'It looks nice at the back'....that's all, nothing else!

HildaW Wed 26-Jun-19 12:07:30

P.S. if we ALL look worse than we think then its no problem!

sodapop Wed 26-Jun-19 12:15:09

That's right HildaW and its an unwritten rule on GN that all posters are attractive, slim and of course very intelligent. grin

Sussexborn Wed 26-Jun-19 12:19:35

A while back I thought I was looking in the magnifying side of the mirror only to find the wrinkles were the real deal.

Anja Wed 26-Jun-19 12:21:45

I have two mirrors. One which tells the truth and another kinder one.

52bright Wed 26-Jun-19 13:16:54

The older I get the more often I see my mother staring back at me when I look in the mirror. This is very disconcerting on many levels grin

aggie Wed 26-Jun-19 13:20:38

Thats my excuse for sending GS to the shop instead of going myself , don't want to scare the horses smile

jura2 Wed 26-Jun-19 13:20:57

I wish I could see my mother in the mirror- she was very beautiful and elegant - right into her 80s.

DD2 wrote on FB the other day 'sometimes, when I speak, my mother comes out' - we had a good giggle.

She also put a sign in our flat in the UK, which she used for a while 'when I was litttle, I feared I was adopted- but now I fear I wasn't' ...

EllanVannin Wed 26-Jun-19 13:22:56

I just get a fright when I see myself on a pic. Such as last week at our family gathering, feeling sprightly and generally " with it " amongst my family and ready for all the snapshots.
Well I could have cried ! Looking at the faces of the family---then I saw this " old woman " which was me !! It didn't reflect the youth that I felt inside me, it was an old woman.
I don't feel how I look if you can understand that and for a split second I couldn't accept it was me. It could be depressing if I allowed it to be but because I'm the humerous type I'll just get on with it------maybe spray my hair with all colours just for spite.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Jun-19 13:51:50

I don’t like those fitting rooms in shops that have a back mirror as well as front because I thought my hair looked ok from the front then I saw the back view

henetha Wed 26-Jun-19 15:33:45

Who is that wrinkled, grey haired little old lady?
OMG it's me!!!!!

Yorksherlass Wed 26-Jun-19 15:47:23

EllanVannin
Feel exactly the same, hate photos ,I avoid like the plague.
Saw this made me smile and so true ?

Forestflame Wed 26-Jun-19 16:07:30

Growing old is compulsory.
Growing Up is optional............... : -)

M0nica Wed 26-Jun-19 16:18:39

What a lot of self demeaning rubbish everyone is writing. Walking about I see plenty of older people who are perfectly pleasant to look at, some look fabulous. OK wrinkles and grey hair but over all just as pleasant and attractive as a cross section of any other age group in the population.

There is nothing wrong with an older face, you would look ridiculous if you still looked like a new born baby. So stop all this demeaning talk and have respect for yourself and your age. If you all feel like this, no wonder so many people treat older people with disrespect, they have no respect for themselves.

As far as I am concerned I am very ordinary looking and my very ordinary face has changed as I moved from one age to to another: infancy, childhood, adolescence, young adult, middle aged and now, old. I see it in the mirror every morning and am neither happy, sad or anything else at the sight of it. It is quite familiar and looks perfectly normal for my age.

EllanVannin Wed 26-Jun-19 16:19:48

Very true-------I suppose smile Yorksherlass.

Oldwoman70 Wed 26-Jun-19 16:43:46

MOnica I think this is more of a "not taking yourself seriously" thread than a "self demeaning" one