Gransnet forums

Chat

Another chance! (A lighthearted thread)

(81 Posts)
DanniRae Thu 27-Jun-19 13:47:56

If I get the chance to come back to this life after I have died I want to come back as a "Reckless Tart"!!
I have always been so bl**dy sensible - never done anything in the least bit daring or wild - there has only ever been one man in my life (if you get my drift) and so when I return I will take many lovers, spend all my money on anything that takes my fancy, stay up all night and be thoroughly naughty!! grin wink
Over to you..........!!

KatyK Thu 27-Jun-19 13:59:19

Me too DanniRae. One man, still together after 52 years. No regrets there but I was/am such a wimpy mouse. Can't drive or swim, too nervous. If I was given the chance (like I was in the 60s) to be a dancer on a national TV show, I would take it instead of thinking they wouldn't want pathetic little me and tearing up the letter.

Dottygran59 Thu 27-Jun-19 14:01:38

Ooooooh Katy K - DO tell us more

lovingit Thu 27-Jun-19 23:21:43

I'd like to come back sensible!!

Urmstongran Thu 27-Jun-19 23:29:22

I was bright enough as a child. Passed the 11+ and went to grammar school but once there, as a very end of August birthday (one week later after the summer hols, classmates were a year older) I struggled.

Never better than halfway up the class positions. Mortifying to think they were announced in front of the whole class.

Anyway by GCE’s I wasn’t happy any more. Didn’t do my homework (always an excuse). My grades dropped a Duncan so did my aspirations.

Regrets? I have a few....
?

Urmstongran Thu 27-Jun-19 23:32:10

Duncan?? Where did that come from ha! Should’ve been
‘and’

So to the OP:
Although you can’t put an old head on young shoulders, I wasted what ought to have been a good education.

CanadianGran Thu 27-Jun-19 23:56:14

Well, it might sound like fun, but I know I wouldn't stray too far off the boring but practical path.

I've worked with the type that show up at work hung over, spend all their money on payday and make the wrong choices in the lover department. Short term fun, but nothing to show for it in the end.

DanniRae Fri 28-Jun-19 06:43:07

Reading your post CanadianGran with my sensible head on I totally realise that your second paragraph is true. I also know that my sensible life has brought me a long marriage and 3 sensible children (their dad is sensible too - they didn't stand a chance!) But just sometimes I wonder how it would be to be a bit more reckless...........?? hmm

Sara65 Fri 28-Jun-19 07:16:16

Having been raised in the absolutely most sensible family you can imagine, I left home at fifteen, only to become very very, insensible for several years, letting several good opportunities be lost, because I couldn’t possibly leave the man I was involved with, which did not end well !

I have been married now for over forty years, I do wonder what would have happened if I’d not been so reckless in my teens, but I may not have been any happier

No point in dwelling on what might have been

sodapop Fri 28-Jun-19 07:39:10

I wish I could have been more sporty, I am not good at any sport, can't swim. I would love to be able to excel at just one sport. I have recently started 10 pin bowling because my husband enjoys it and we go with a group of friends. I am even hopeless at that, I'm the person who is left until last when teams are being chosensad

BradfordLass72 Fri 28-Jun-19 07:43:01

According to your definition DanniRae I spent the first half of my life being sensible and ultra moral and the rest of it, even up to the present day, being a Reckless Tart - and it's great fun grin

The lovers were wonderful, exciting and transient - my choice, and may be again if I get the chance. blush

I've done heaps of dangerous things because my philosophy became, never waste a chance or a moment

I've had many exciting jobs (I've usually had 3 jobs at a time, most of my life, not all for money) got people out of refugee camps, fought the government and won, published 2 books and written several more; had my work read on the BBC and in magazines/newspapers; written comedy scripts for TVNZ; invented things, instigated innovations, saved lives (via CPR) and I've just realised how boastful this sounds so I'll cut it short.

Suffice to say, you can cram a lot into 72+ years.

At 3:30 am today I was at the top of a mountain taking part in a sacred ceremony. Totally amazing but very cold for me old bones.

Sara65 Fri 28-Jun-19 08:14:14

Bradfordlass

You are inspirational

From the sound of things, you haven’t wasted a day

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Jun-19 08:20:01

Sometimes I think that next time I will be a woman that can’t!
Must be easier?.
Maybe boring.

Wobbles Fri 28-Jun-19 08:37:59

I'd come back more adventurous, 'a live life to the fullest' type of person.
I watch other people with more fulfilling lives and feel a certain envy.

Glammy57 Fri 28-Jun-19 08:40:47

Bradfordlass love it! ✊

I did some wild things in my youth, and even now do a few I shouldn’t. These days, I always wear a cloak of respectability! ???

Sara65 Fri 28-Jun-19 08:54:48

Pamela

I know what you mean, we all know them don’t we, the helpless little things, the women men fall over themselves to assist, yes, it would be a lot easier!

crazyH Fri 28-Jun-19 09:02:01

If i had my life over again, I would sleep with more men and learn the Kama sutra, as my ex- husband said I was boring in bed, ha ?

Oldwoman70 Fri 28-Jun-19 09:09:52

As a teenager I was always told not to rock the boat - the most adventurous thing I did was marry a man my family disapproved of! Now after over 40 years of happy marriage I am alone and perhaps now is the time to cut loose and do all the things I should have done as a teenager - it is never too late!

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 09:18:33

I've had an exciting life in a modest sort of way. Great childhood and schooldays, met many well known people who weren't half as interesting as they themselves thought they were. Travelled a fair bit (not Africa or very cold climes) and lived through the best eras change-wise.
Happily married for 40 years and now happily single with benefits...sort of.
My only regret is that my children grew up. I just had the best time ever being at home with them and enjoying their company, right through to them each leaving to forge their careers. They were the saddest days of my life.

DanniRae Fri 28-Jun-19 09:20:26

Oh WOW BradfordLass - you are living the life that I wish for!! Great!! grin

petra Fri 28-Jun-19 09:22:25

crazyH
Back in the 80s my OH worked on a pop up karma Sutra book. Absolutely hilarious ?
Bradfordlass used the word boastful so because of the way another thread disintegrated terrible, I'm not saying a word.?

annodomini Fri 28-Jun-19 09:29:45

As girls in my day couldn't join the air cadets, my reincarnated self would become a pilot, either a RAF pilot or a commercial one.
I would be more sensible with money and then blow it all on a sports car or even, if I had been sensible enough, a private plane.

narrowboatnan Fri 28-Jun-19 09:35:26

I’d come back as somebody famous instead of infamous ?

aggie Fri 28-Jun-19 09:37:46

I am still too cautious so wouldn't change anything ,,,,,,,,,, well nothing I am going to say on here wink

Sara65 Fri 28-Jun-19 09:43:31

We’ve always been stuck in the same area, tied by family business, I’d have liked to have moved around a lot more, loved to have lived by the seaside