Gransnet forums

Chat

Niece's 50th.

(45 Posts)
granzilla Fri 28-Jun-19 12:07:37

Hello fellow Gransnetters.
Over the last few years I've had great advice and help from this site ie. pension, cats, mother of the groom outfit to name but a few.Now need help again please.
Niece (DN) will be 50 next month and I'm stuck for what to buy.
She's a lovely girl woman and quite easy to please.I was thinking of some kind of pamper hamper either posh smellies or gin and nibbles.Budget of around £100.
Any ideas?
Thank you
Granzilla.

Grannyknot Fri 28-Jun-19 12:14:58

Ooh that's a good budget! wink

What about a subscription to a beauty box? They're a lot of fun and she would have a gift every month for four or six months. smile Only snag is she would have to choose her products each month, so it would depend how she is with that, or I think at least some of them make up the boxes from a profile that the recipient sets up. But it's a like getting a surprise every month (I bought a three month sub for my DIL and she loved it).

Here's an article listing the best ones:

graziadaily.co.uk/beauty-hair/hair/best-beauty-subscription-box-uk/

crazyH Fri 28-Jun-19 12:20:39

I am always reluctant to buy 'smellies' as gifts, simply because we dont know whether its what they would like (fragrances, I mean). I would get her a £100 gift voucher towards a spa day and she can choose what 'treat' she would like ....a massage, a facial ..........

granzilla Fri 28-Jun-19 12:22:56

grannyknot Thanks. She's always very generous herself smile
I'll look at that link now.

granzilla Fri 28-Jun-19 14:02:23

Thanks crazyh.
You're right about cosmetics etc being personal.
Someone <looking at you DH > once bought me a very expensive designer perfume.It smelled, to me, like Toilet Duck. It's still lurking in the back of the bathroom cupboard smile

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Jun-19 14:47:23

If you are thinking about a spa experience then look on Secret Escapes. We have been on a couple of really good deals via their site.

janeainsworth Fri 28-Jun-19 15:59:01

Granzilla Sarah Hickey is a jeweller based in Hexham. Her things are lovely. She will make bespoke pieces as well as the things displayed on the site. She has a studio but most of her business is online. Have a look at her website - gift vouchers are available www.sarahhickey.co.uk/product/gift_card
instagram.com/sarahhickeyjewellery?igshid=it76zryw2hf

Smiley4 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:27:00

I think the hamper sounds a lovely idea. I’ve bought these for people before and everyone has loved them.

granzilla Fri 28-Jun-19 17:52:36

Sorry for not getting back sooner but thank you for all of your advice.
I love Gransnet smile

anitamp1 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:49:31

Are you computer savvy? For my son's 30th birthday I made a photo book through Photobox. Once you get the hang of it, it's good fun and makes a lovely keepsake. I started with a picture of mine and DH wedding with both sets of our parents in it. Then moved on 3 years to his birth. Then selections of photos at various points in his life. Pages can be personalised with comments and backgrounds. If you are short of photos perhaps you could scrounge some from other family members.

JessK Sat 29-Jun-19 09:57:17

A pamper day is always well received and you should get quite a good one for your budget.

Lock Sat 29-Jun-19 10:18:33

How about a Theatre Token? They don't expire like other vouchers.
I'm not a big fan of hampers. Inevitably there are items in it that the recipient doesn't like, whether it's food or toiletries. At least with a voucher the recipient can choose exactly what they want and make the best use of it.
( My mum once bought me a shower gel from an expensive brand I occasionally treat myself to. It wasn't the usual scent I bought, and I thought it was awful and couldn't bear the smell of it. Thankfully she liked it so I could hand it back. )

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Jun-19 10:19:11

Is she someone who might like a "flight" in a wind tunnel? I certainly did!!
? There are lots of places to do this - it's sort of sky-diving but you don't need to jump!
I went here:
www.iflyworld.co.uk/

Abuelana Sat 29-Jun-19 10:27:22

Ive just received a bracelet for my daughter from louloujewelery she’s on Instagram beautifully made.

Hm999 Sat 29-Jun-19 10:54:47

DiL bought me a craft subscription last Christmas, a new box of creativity pops through the letterbox every month. Last year was a yarn magazine.

Craftycat Sat 29-Jun-19 10:58:36

A pamper session voucher. One of the best presents I ever got.

nipsmum Sat 29-Jun-19 11:17:32

My daughter was 50 two years ago. I bought her a pendant with her birthstone from Not on the High Street and a bottle of Fancy Gin from a distillery near where she grew up. That went down very well.

annodomini Sat 29-Jun-19 12:06:44

All the next generation in my family are approaching 50, so some of the suggestions here will be taken to heart!

Grandyma Sat 29-Jun-19 12:22:34

You could have a look at Hotel Chocolat they do beautiful chocolate & Gin hampers, you can build your own up to any value or choose one of the standard ones.

TheOldDear Sat 29-Jun-19 12:34:16

Try to think of something that fits her lifestyle but she wouldn’t splash out on herself? (I bought my birthdaughter a breadmaker for her 50th. Big success.)

On other occasions, I’ve bought a handbag/shoulder bag as a present for a woman, with great success. But always fit the present to the person’s own tastes, not to what you would choose for yourself.

Hampers are a last resort for the desperate! grin

Grandyma Sat 29-Jun-19 12:53:38

m.mynamenecklace.co.uk/ My daughter bought me a beautiful bracelet from here last Christmas - very unusual personalised jewellery

pamdixon Sat 29-Jun-19 13:13:59

or if you can be bothered, buy her 50 small gifts! Such fun unwrapping loads of things! I think I might have managed 20 gifts for a friends 70th actually - maybe 50 is a bit over ambitious!!
Or a subscription to flowers every month? always a treat

justwokeup Sat 29-Jun-19 14:27:26

Def not smellies, far too personal. A spa day with lunch for two, if it's her type of thing would be my choice. If it's a bit over your budget then Groupon is a good source of discounts but, in any event, check out the reviews. Don't forget to mention it's her 50th birthday treat - they may provide an extra or two.

cassandra264 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:19:23

You could buy her an 'experience' day she can either do on her own or with someone else. Spa day really good idea; but there are other possibilities depending on her interests. Tea for two somewhere posh; wine tasting; pony trekking; paddle boarding; boat trip to see wildlife; steam train or coach trip somewhere interesting... the list is endless.

Aepgirl Sat 29-Jun-19 21:13:58

I think a spa day is a really lovely gift. A whole day of pampering, and it is something she would probably not buy for herself.