Gransnet forums

Chat

Even at my age!

(95 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 19:08:01

My wardrobe isn’t coordinated. It’s definitely not capsule.
I would love to be one of those stylish women with ‘key’ items that mix and match!

At 64y perhaps I will just continue to ‘muddle along’. I’ve particularly noticed it this afternoon because I’m packing a grip bag for 6 days away.

I started out fine, then panicked as space will be at a premium in our little car with its tiny boot and I’ve sadly realised that I have some nice clothes but no flair for putting them together well. Oh dear.
?

jura2 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:11:07

Ah well USG - we are, at last. united.

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 19:12:40

Oh me too Urmstongran I had an auntie always looked amazing , she died quite young and I helped clear out her belongings. She only had about 40 items of clothing . All perfectly coordinated and very stylish .

lmm6 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:17:17

Have you got a daughter? Mine soon puts me right and tells me off if I get it wrong. Keep it simple. Plain colours (be colourful with what colours suit you), well-fitting clothes not loose and baggy. A plain top with nice trousers or skirt, decent shoes, good haircut. I often see clothes which I'd love to wear but now at 70 I realise I just can't (i.e. full-skirted dresses). Plain, simple and classic really is the way to go. If you have some decent shoes, a good haircut, some flattering sunglasses and a nice bag you'll look good. And personally I'd never be without lipstick even indoors as my lips are thin and almost non-existent. One thing DD says is that older women tend to wear any old trousers and then try to jazz them up with patterned tops so I try not to do that. I read that patterns next to the face are usually not flattering and I think that is true. If you identify which colours suit you best then wear them next to your face. The right coloured scarf can be flattering or even a bright beaded necklace. Quite simple things can make a big difference without spending much at all.

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 19:19:15

jura2 ?
and gillybob I’m not alone then!

If I had the money (in my dreams) I’d pile my clothes on the bed and only put back into the wardrobe items that somehow ‘go together’.

My failing is I ‘impulse buy’. Walk past a gorgeous colour or style in a shop window, double take, go in and buy without a thought to what it’ll go with.

How did I get to this age with such an assortment of bits and bobs and no panache?

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 19:21:05

Would you be my personal stylist Iam6?
Good tips though, thank you!

MamaCaz Sat 29-Jun-19 19:32:12

Same problem here. Definitely just muddling along!

The only outfits that I wear with confidence are those bought with input from one of my lovely daughters-in-law.

I still have a number of 'nice' tops bought years ago in the hope that i would eventually find trousers or skirt to go with them (or vice versa). I think that ship has now sailed!

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 19:35:43

Many years ago there was a short trip to Paris, I found in BHS (now sadly gone) a range of separates, lightweight, practically non creasing, in a sort of dark blue check.

Bought the skirt, trousers, and the long shirt style top.

Already had a classic blazer, you know the sort, pure wool, brass buttons, picked mine up in a charity shop for £5, then found it was Jaeger!

Added a couple of white T shirts, pair of jeans, everything went with everything else!

Liz46 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:42:20

I'm just the same Urmstongran. I was told my colours are grey and pink and I agree with this but do I take any notice? One of my daughters took me to the Trafford Centre once and took things from the rails for me to try on and that was successful. I must ask her to do it again sometime. Maybe instead of buying me a 'thing' for a birthday or mothers day, she could give me a couple of hours of her time. That would be so much better but maybe a bit unfair as she is so busy.

Callistemon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:37:01

Urmatongran
How I long for a 'capsule wardrobe' of flattering co-ordinates.

Alas, although I am older than you, I have not yet managed to aspire to one.

Callistemon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:37:26

I can't even spell your name correctly Urmstongran!

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 20:51:20

Maybe when we spot a woman looking stylish, perhaps that’s her ‘go to’ outfit and the rest of her wardrobe is similar to mine!

I think next year (my state pension comes into play) I will try harder.

I’ve heard if wearing separates, the top or the bottom should be plain, with the other a print?

Why is it that I don’t have a small ‘summer’ handbag or cross body bag?

Why is it that this takes me unawares every time the sun (infrequently) shines?

Nannyxthree Sat 29-Jun-19 20:54:25

How about having your 'colours' done and then sticking to that as a guide?

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 20:59:18

No worries Callistemon
Actually I’ve just had to scroll back to check the spelling of your name!
Maybe we should just have all been Anne’s or Mary’s - with no numbers and no fancy pants spellings ha!
?
Simple and streamlined.
Like my new wardrobe will be.

Jessity Sat 29-Jun-19 21:05:43

Another recommendation for having your colours done, my wardrobe took a few years gradually to weed out the wrong colours but after that it actually worked. It’s said that once you’ve taken on board the colours that suit you, anything you then buy, if it’s one of your colours, will go with everything else. I’ve found to my amazement that it works.

Coolgran65 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:28:49

I started a few years ago to work on a capsule. My wardrobe is black, navy, grey, neutral stone shades and white. Almost everything goes with everything else. It really works. I do have colourful shoes and bags and scarves. Earrings are gold coloured, silver or pearls. Usually boho.

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 21:33:39

What is “getting your colours done” ? confused

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 21:37:26

Confession time, once bought something because I was convinced it would go with an item I already had, the colour was there in my mind.

Yes, the colour was in my wardrobe, but was actually the colour of the lining of one of my suits! blush

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 21:57:05

Actually ladies, you’ve just reminded me that a friend dresses in black & white - linen trousers, tees etc and then adds a ‘pop’ of colour - maybe a jacket, a scarf, a handbag etc.

This coordinated and organised styling just seems to have passed me by and it really hit home this afternoon.

I can’t bear to cull my clothes. Why is that? It’s not as though they’re designer or anything! If they are ‘wearable’ I keep them. And then add to them, ad nauseum.

I need to take myself to one side...

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 22:00:01

Oh phoenix that made me laugh! Sometimes we don’t help ourselves much do we!

Bathsheba Sat 29-Jun-19 22:13:09

I bought a pair of trousers yesterday and they go with nothing in my wardrobe at all. I even knew that when I was buying them but still went ahead because I liked them. How stupid?? I will now have to buy something to go with them - or take them back. Hmm, yes, that's what I should do, take them back...

Now where did I put the receipt?

Bordersgirl57 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 22:18:57

Oh don’t take them back Bathsheba I’m sure you must have something lurking in a drawer that matches them hmm

GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:20:52

My go-to are plain white tops ie: tees, shirts, unfussy blouses, no ruffles and usually V or scoop neck.
I dislike heavy thick cuffs (which M&S are prone to do) and prefer 3/4 or long sleeves without the tab fastening.
I can then go to town on coloured, striped or patterned jeans, trousers leggings, skirts.
I like to forget what I'm wearing once dressed.
Yesterday I wore a white V neck, curved hem, 3/4 sleeve tee (£3.50 Primark) with khaki leggings (£2.30 Primark) and chunky white leather trainers (£42 River Island)
I have 3 prs each navy, khaki, pale grey and charcoal leggings. They wash n wear well with no bagging, pilling or see through. That's 12 pairs for £27.60. A bargain and yes, I wear them going out for coffee or shopping...anywhere except a dressy event.
You have to be really honest about what suits you from the front and back view.
Full length mirrors are key.
Friends don't always tell the truth.

Grammaretto Sat 29-Jun-19 22:28:25

I don't think we should try so hard. Rules are made to be broken, especially when they are about colour and pattern.
I once had a personal shopper who talked for over an hour but the clothes she chose for me were the last thing i would want to wear.
My Mil is still stylish at 94 but I've never been.