Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you hate as a child?

(200 Posts)
GinJeannie Sun 30-Jun-19 13:05:46

While watching Glastonbury ( briefly!) yesterday, I happened to spot a Punch n’ Judy kiosk directly behind the interviewers and it instantly reminded me how much I hated the whole Punch n’ Judy thing as a child. Just awful, made me feel really ill at ease then, and now! Also hated the rhymes below pictures of Rupert the Bear in those blasted annuals Santa brought every single year! What did you hate as a child?

shysal Sun 30-Jun-19 13:16:20

The Snowfire ointment block for my chilblains. I was convinced by the name that it would burn my toes off! I remember the battles I had with my parents.

DanniRae Sun 30-Jun-19 13:19:21

Pilchards in tomato sauce - I had to eat in a different room if they were on the menu.
Also sn*kes - I still do and didn't want to type the name of them.

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:21:20

At Christmas, never receiving age-appropriate gifts from a cousin of my father who was a teacher. From a very early age, I could just read, Dickens and co. were foisted every year and I had to write a thank you letter each year.

Nannarose Sun 30-Jun-19 13:24:10

I too disliked Punch and Judy, and didn't much like pantomimes either - but loved the musicals that the same amateur theatrical company put on every year.
What felt most odd was that I disliked dolls - I never wanted to play with them, look after them or play 'make believe' with them.
I spent a lot of time outdoors and a lot of time listening in to adult conversations - both of which have stood me in good stead throughout life!

eazybee Sun 30-Jun-19 14:05:45

The big treat at Sunday School of watching Charlie Chaplin films; I thought, and still do, he was incredibly sinister because of that expressionless face. I also dreaded the cowboy and Indian films, because the Indians massing on the hilltop and galloping down to attack the covered wagons really frightened me.

midgey Sun 30-Jun-19 14:07:39

Bovril! I was often ill as a child and spent time in bed, if my dad had been out all day ( he was a farmer) he would come upstairs to chat bringing hot bovril and cream crackers to share! Oh how I hated them both! Yet it was such a lovely thing to do after a very long day.

SueSocks Sun 30-Jun-19 14:27:36

The characters with the big heads in the carnival parade.
Cold slices of beef served with hot veg and hot watery "gravy" (an oxo cube) for Monday tea after the Sunday roast. Put me off beef for years. Coming from the Midlands, tea is what we called our evening meal, dinner was what you ate at midday.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Jun-19 14:27:50

Sunday School - hated every minute of it

Willow500 Sun 30-Jun-19 14:33:56

School milk!! Warm from being stood by the radiators in the winter. Ugh! I've always hated milk since those days - even in coffee or on cereals!

Septimia Sun 30-Jun-19 14:37:08

The TV programme 'Twizzle'. I thought the broom character was a bit of pervert (even in those days) and the cat was really creepy - yet it never put me off cats in general.
My mum's greasy roast potatoes - didn't make them for years after I was married - and sprouts.
And I agree with DanniRae about the last thing on her list. Never could and still can't stand them, even the word makes me shudder, although I have coped in real life when necessary (would rather have not had to!)

Septimia Sun 30-Jun-19 14:39:49

Oh, yes, Willow - school milk put me off, too, although I do take it on cereal and in tea/coffee in small amounts. The only milk I've ever enjoyed was when we camped on a farm and I was sent to collect milk fresh from the cow. It tasted totally different.

crazyH Sun 30-Jun-19 14:39:51

Snakes !!

Septimia Sun 30-Jun-19 14:41:02

Thanks, crazyH !!

EllanVannin Sun 30-Jun-19 14:45:33

Steedman's EE powders and Fennings fever cure. Angiers emulsion, Scotts emulsion wasn't too bad but still made me balk.
The stuff that was painted on my throat if I had tonsillitis.
Clowns.
Mum's cooking/baking made up for the above, it was ace. Her gravy was something else.

cavewoman Sun 30-Jun-19 14:46:23

Boys ! Found them distasteful,grubby and loud.

Right up until I was fourteen............

sharon103 Sun 30-Jun-19 14:56:54

Earwigs. We used to call them earywigs but don't know why. My dad used to grow dahlias and mum used to cut them and put them in a vase on the window sill. They used to crawl out and go walkies! I hated them and those pincers they had at the back. Ugh! I haven't seen any for years though. Hopefully they're extinct. I hate worms too.

crazyH Sun 30-Jun-19 15:07:59

Septimia - it's meant to shock your fear away ?

jura2 Sun 30-Jun-19 15:11:07

Liver sad

... and any form of racism and discrimination or animal cruelty.

sodapop Sun 30-Jun-19 15:13:57

Andrew's Liver Salts, hated the way they fizzed up my nose.

SueDonim Sun 30-Jun-19 15:15:58

Scott's emulsion; prunes; sp*d*rs; thunder storms.

Nothing's changed, I still hate all those things. grin

TerriBull Sun 30-Jun-19 15:17:14

School milk, glad to see I'm not alone on this one. Alas! Margaret Thatcher (aka the milk snatcher arrived too late for me) I still can't drink milk on it's own.

School dinners - milk puddings with lumps, mashed potatoes with lumps, which we were forced to eat.
I wasn't really aware of human rights then, but I always had the subliminal feeling that being forced to ingest anything unpalatable was some sort of abuse. The spurious argument that there were starving people in the world was frequently used and so the premise was that if we ate everything put in front of us that somehow mitigated that, but I couldn't work out how confused

Catechism - forced to be word perfect by age 7ish, not only a fearful experience but a horrible waste of school time, at least learning times tables by rote could be put to good use throughout life. Catechism only ever amounted to a very long garbled meaningless mantra.

Grannybags Sun 30-Jun-19 15:21:32

School!

I was miserable from the moment I started aged 5 till I managed to leave at 15

paddyann Sun 30-Jun-19 15:52:07

My mum "forcing " me to put my book down and go out to play,I used to sneak the book out with me and sit in a shady corner with it..well I still got fresh air .Grannybags I never hated school I just thought it was a waste of time so I left at 15 too.No regrets ,I did what I wanted and was happy with my choice of career .Now when I see young people like my neighbours son,back at Uni for the third time it annoys me ,if he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life in his late 20's when will he ever
ver ?

gillybob Sun 30-Jun-19 16:08:57

I hated being to told to kiss a particularly warty auntie. Not her fault I know but She always stunk of cigarette smoke too . Yuk .