Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone else do ParkRun?

(41 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 09-Jul-19 12:46:03

My neighbour's GP suggested she gets moving and does some exercise to help her get over her low mood after losing her husband. She's 69 and decided to give ParkRun a go having heard about it from her daughter. She went on her own for the first couple of times - she is not at all "sporty" but boy is she determined to get herself back on track - and then asked me whether I'd like to go with her. I've now done four and I am completely hooked!

For those who don't know, it's a free, walk/run on a 5km course, there are literally hundreds of groups, it is not a race, you only compete against your own personal best time. There is always a "Tail Walker" to look out for stragglers and all levels of fitness are welcome. Last Saturday I walked 5 kms in 51 minutes! We were joined by a woman who has lost 7 stone and had a knee replacement in March! I was so impressed by her.

I'm impressed by myself too!

Anyone else do ParkRuns?

ffinnochio Tue 09-Jul-19 13:03:40

There are occasional ones at our local Country Park, but haven’t be organised enough to do one yet. Think they’re a great idea. I do walk a variety of routes there regularly tho’!
Well done Gk !

paddyann Tue 09-Jul-19 13:10:10

My 70 year old sister and I (65) are training to do the Kilt walk ,thats a walking marathon 26+ miles while wearing a kilt .Its done in aid of childrens charities .We used to run every day up until I hit menopause and I missed not just the exercise but the fun we had while running our 6 or 7 miles every morning .I am enjoying getting back out again ,and if anyone else tells me I shouldn't be doing too much at my age I swear I'll lose the plot and slap them .Enjoy your park runs and be proud of your aheivement

Gonegirl Tue 09-Jul-19 13:14:05

My son does. I don't. Never had. But at 69 I would have thought nothing of it - apart from getting out of bed early on a Sunday.

Gonegirl Tue 09-Jul-19 13:14:22

(walking, that is. Not running)

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jul-19 13:50:06

I'd love to do it and in a way need to but I'm quite paranoid about any over exertion bringing about my A/fib which means a hospital visit if it doesn't settle. It's a bloomin' nuisance. I do plenty of walking and movement though which suits me and my condition.
I've never felt so restricted in all my life. Still, there are those worse off !!

Gonegirl Tue 09-Jul-19 14:15:50

What you do sounds fine EV.

Gonegirl Tue 09-Jul-19 14:18:22

One park run local to me that my son went on, they were joined by Sophie Raworth. Apparently no one took the least bit of notice of her which was nice.

travelsafar Tue 09-Jul-19 14:26:58

I use to run three times a week and loved loved loved it.Now i can just about manage to walk to town and back due to issues with my spine which are affecting me in various ways.If you able to do it i say go for it, the high you get even if you are in the last few stragglers is massive and it makes you feel so good. Well done to anyone doing this. Soooo jealous!!!

Craicon Tue 09-Jul-19 14:36:27

I rarely walk/run it but regularly volunteer at our local Parkrun. Usually, after my volunteering stint, I take the dog for a walk afterwards so he can sniff and take his time.

Our Parkrun is through woods that hug the coastline so is beautifully scenic but quite hilly in parts too.

One of our regulars in her 70’s has two replacement hips and runs it under 40 mins. It really is for everyone.

Grannyknot Tue 09-Jul-19 15:26:58

Thank you for all the encouraging responses and lovely to hear of others doing similar.

Paddyann grin

Gonegirl ParkRuns are on Saturdays... smile

Craicon that's brilliant! I don't think I'll ever run it, I used to run in my 40s but stopped at about 50 - I was getting recurring knee problems.

Gonegirl Tue 09-Jul-19 17:27:01

Oh right. (*Grannyknot*) I am forever asking son if he had a good run, on the wrong day. I just cannot get it into my head. Not even when he's home and goes from here.

Gonegirl Tue 09-Jul-19 17:28:00

I will have forgotten again by tomorrow. shock

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jul-19 17:34:15

Not to worry Gonegirl I'm a bit like that myself sometimes.x

Tashhag Tue 09-Jul-19 18:13:39

A friend of mine joined a park run group where she lives in Shropshire, absolutely loved it and lost a stone and a half. I’d like to do it too but when I looked for one in my area, I couldn’t find anything... I’m London SE14. I really miss regular walks since losing my beloved dog last year and really want to change but - I must admit- am currently stagnating (and making excuses). Keep it up OP smile

SirChenjin Tue 09-Jul-19 19:11:54

I did 4 of them and hated it - which I feel is akin to saying I hate kittens and eat them for breakfast. It seemed full of runners from clubs, serious runners and runners who were much faster than I was - and it didn’t help that the route doubled back on itself so I could see the runners who were finishing as I was only about half way. I was hoping for a fun family type event with a cross section of participants but it didn’t feel like it. I was taking around 40 minutes to run 5k which I didn’t think was too bad but I was well towards the back of the 250/300 runners. I did 4 runs and got fed up of feeling out of breath and demoralised. If I’d stuck at it I’m sure I would have got better so it was definitely down to me and how I felt about myself sad

Grannyknot Tue 09-Jul-19 19:41:53

Crikey SirC I'd be thrilled if I could do it in 40 mins. There are some serious runners in our field of 600 shock but I just ignore them. I get lapped every time before I've even finished the first lap. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. grin

TashHag (great name) I have to bus it to my nearest one wink

Gonegirl smile

SirChenjin Tue 09-Jul-19 19:48:52

I know - it was completely down to me not feeling very good about myself and my fitness levels. With working full time, ferrying our youngest who’s 12 to things, dealing with various uni dramas from the older 2 and voluntary stuff I’m constantly exhausted and struggling to find the time to exercise - so am really unfit and pretty low about my fitness and things generally. Seeing others running way ahead just made me feel even worse <pity party alert>

SirChenjin Tue 09-Jul-19 19:50:11

Well done you for doing it though - I take my hat off to you! smile

Tashhag Tue 09-Jul-19 20:40:35

Grannyknot
Maybe I’ll have to look a bit further afield then smile

paddyann Wed 10-Jul-19 01:38:26

do the Kilt walk Sirchengin you can build up at your own pace and take as long as you like to get to the mileage required.There is one in Edinburgh and Dundee and Aberdeen ,we'll be doing Hampden to Loch Lomond ,my husband has done it a few times ,the first just a few months after 2 heart attacks and my SIL and GS both did it with him last year .Great atmosphere and good hearted crowds to keep your spirits up .I ran for decades when I worked fulltime and when had a baby and a 10 year old too .I found the exercise helped me cope better with stress ,I slept better and just getting out to run gave me thinking time away from the drama queen that was my daughter once she reached 12 .

Humbertbear Wed 10-Jul-19 07:45:29

A friend of mine helps run a regular park run. From what I understand , newcomers and slower runners are looked after, monitored and encouraged. It seems a good way to get exercise and make new friends but I won’t be doing it. I couldn’t run when I was a child??

BlueSapphire Wed 10-Jul-19 08:08:39

I don't do parkrun, the two in my area are a lot of hassle to get to by bus; but I do try and fit in a couple of health walks every week. One is quite a brisk hour, and the other is a gentler 40 minutes or so, but as I have to walk 20 minutes each way to get to that one, by the time I've finished I've done 80 minutes! Not been yet since I got back from my cruise, but hope to start again next week.

Resurgam123 Wed 10-Jul-19 08:10:53

I don't run anywhere. It's hitting the ground as you come down that is painful.

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 08:45:30

My friend has done the kilt walk paddyann and really enjoyed it, but she worked p/t so had plenty of time to train for the 26 miles and still found it tough going. I’m afraid it’s too much of a commitment as I’m out most evenings doing various things to be able to fit in the level of training I would need. I’m always amazed that people can work f/t, have a family, do all the other life stuff and fit in running - I leave for work at 7.45 and don’t really stop until 9pm with one thing and another. I try and manage one or 2 sessions in the gym a week but it’s hard, especially as DH works long hours. Good for you for doing it though smile