Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer?

(103 Posts)
MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 18:28:52

When is the summer coming to Northumberland?
I ask because we are sitting here watching the Hampton Court flower show in catch up. It is bathed in beautiful warm sunshine and everyone is wearing their summer dresses, shorts and Sun hats.
As I look out of my windows here its overcast, raining and cool, Alexa tells me it's 13°c yet in London she says it's 24°c.
Why do we never have two summers the same?
Sorry about the moan, I'm just fed up.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 18:52:30

Ahhh ... MiniMoon I can sympathise with you wholeheartedly and, if it was in my gift to send summer warmth and sunshine your way I would, most definitely.
I have read that there is a heatwave starting this week (called an African plume) starting in the North of England.
Let's hope that it passes from West to East and shares the warmth and rays with you rather than moving South.
Meanwhile ☀️?☀️?☀️? and fingers crossed?that you get your wish.
?

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jul-19 19:35:06

I'm fed up with the weather too MiniMoon. 15 degrees and showers each day now until Sunday. Yes, it's miserable and my right foot is swollen just to add insult to injury so I'll plonk them both in the foot bowl and gaze out at the dampness and grey sky. I know how to enjoy a good night in.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 19:36:07

Thank you Gabriella. I wouldn't feel so miserable if the sun would shine. It's just so grey and depressing.

Grammaretto Tue 09-Jul-19 19:43:26

I put the heating on here in the Scottish Borders. 10 degrees C.
Meanwhile my friend is due to fly to France tomorrow to record breaking heat! They had 45 degrees, higher than ever today.
I'm afraid it's climate change and I don't like either extreme.

SueDonim Tue 09-Jul-19 20:16:43

I'm contemplating putting on the heating here in NE Scotland. For the cats, of course, not myself. wink

I was in London last weekend and although it wasn't brilliant weather, I wasn't cold once. I've got socks on today.

Pittcity Tue 09-Jul-19 20:23:57

It always used to rain during Wimbledon fortnight but there's been none to speak of so far!
Here in East Anglia it's gone from tropical to socks on and back again over the last few weeks....

petra Tue 09-Jul-19 20:24:56

Having been through that awful heat in France bringing a boat to the uk, I know where I'd rather be. OH isn't so happy though, he loved it.

SirChenjin Tue 09-Jul-19 20:32:13

Same here in Edinburgh sad

SueDonim Tue 09-Jul-19 20:37:37

Tomorrow and Thursday will be the same again here, with added thunder and lightening. hmm In fact, I don't remember ever having as many thunder storms as we've had in recent years.

A friend also observed that she doesn't remember the skies being so consistently grey as they have in modern summers. I know two summers ago we didn't have two consecutive warm sunny days to enjoy. You'd get one nice day followed by a cloudy one. It does make you wonder what's happening with the climate.

paddyann Tue 09-Jul-19 20:45:33

its not cold here at Loch Lomond just grey and damp and miserable .On the bright side my OH got some lovely atmospheric shots of low hanging cloud over the water .July is always wet here ,I got married on Glasgow Fair Monday and it peed down so we're used to it .Roll on August and some blue skies?

MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 20:56:55

We are going to the Great Yorkshire Show on Thursday. We set off at 07:00! Guess what is forecast, thunderstorms! ⛈️⛈️

MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 20:59:28

paddyann, my daughter and son-in-law lived near Loch Lomond, in Helensburgh while SiL was stationed at Faslane with the RN.
We fell in love with the town and would love to live there.

SirChenjin Tue 09-Jul-19 21:02:21

Shhh...don’t mention Faslane to Paddyann winkgrin

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 21:48:18

19° right now in Godalming. Was 24° today from noon onwards.
I have to get out and shop early to miss the midday heat or else go to the coast to get some breeze.
Windows open, fan on and wearing as little as decently poss reading on the bed.

grannyqueenie Tue 09-Jul-19 22:44:25

minimoon, if the temperatures are anything like they've been this evening you may need your thermals under your raincoat! ?

paddyann Tue 09-Jul-19 22:49:08

No objection to a NAVAL base just want rid of Trident SirChengin Trident only supports 520 jobs so no massive loss and huge benefits to not having waste in our lochs and rivers .MY opinion you are not obliged to agree .

SirChenjin Tue 09-Jul-19 22:57:55

grin

Ok!

blondenana Tue 09-Jul-19 23:02:27

Oh* Gabriella,* i do hope you are right, i have not heard this about the African Plume, but maybe we are going to get the weather in France at the moment,
My eldest son lives in Spain and loves the sun, but says just now it is even too hot for him, and my daughter is on holiday in France and also spending more time in the shade,almost 50 c yesterday she sent me a pic of the thermometer
I am fed up of this weather here too,it was lovely yesterday, tonight i have put the heating on just for an hour to warm me up a bit
Today they have gone to the Loire Valley, don't know if it will be any cooler,they have a camper van so can move around, i have a feeling they might be home sooner than they planned, another 2 weeks yet
I decided yesterday to order a sun lounger from ebay, then it was dull and cooler today and raining now,so hopefully will get the chance to use it after all

MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 23:19:16

I'm in bed now, but I've pulled my extra blanket up over the summer duvet as I think I might be too cool under a 4.5 tog.
Hey ho, let's see what tomorrow brings.

blondenana Tue 09-Jul-19 23:31:52

MiniMoon i still have my winter one on, also hot water bottle at the ready if needed grin

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 23:34:36

You'll soon be baking hot.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 23:42:55

It's unbelievable that the weather can be so different North and South. I've had no heating on since March and only a sheet to cover me, in fact, I've pushed it to the bottom of the bed.
Ladies, you'll soon be parading barefoot and in flimsies when the plume arrives.
Be careful what you wish for.
35° is no joke. I had 42° in Dubai and sat in a cold bath much of the time.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jul-19 00:15:59

It's warm here.
I have my lounge door open and I'm sweating like a pig plenty warm enough.

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Jul-19 00:28:14

Oink oink... ?? ?
Surely not. Ladies glow.