Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(83 Posts)
annodomini Wed 10-Jul-19 10:07:51

I'm a world-class procrastinator. At the moment I am putting off ironing a duvet cover.
What are you putting off?

ninathenana Wed 10-Jul-19 10:12:04

Finishing of some paperwork I've started to deal with.
I have until the end of August to send it. I think that's the problem.

tanith Wed 10-Jul-19 10:14:25

Two shrubs in the garden need a serious clipping but it’s very warm out there so here I am with iPad and cuppa. 😂

humptydumpty Wed 10-Jul-19 10:25:23

Putting off contacting friends blush

MiniMoon Wed 10-Jul-19 10:25:33

I'm putting off ironing too. I wish the clothes would just straighten themselves.
I wouldn't bother ironing the duvet cover, unless it's very creased, or you are inviting guests to see your bedroom!

Teacheranne Wed 10-Jul-19 10:27:09

Can't be bothered doing anything!

I wish I could blame the hot weather but the heatwave seems to be missing my region - only had the odd day of sun here in Manchester!

Maybelle Wed 10-Jul-19 10:27:51

keep planning to sort through the Christmas decorations, throw out the tatty ones and rebox the ones we want to keep.
I have a new, large storage box. I have the cupboard space planned to store them in. All I need now is the get up and go !

Not the right season to even think of Christmas ?

I agree it's not.

And I have managed to procrastinate over this task for 2 1/2 years now , through all seasons, including when I get them out in December to when I put them away in January . . .

Feelingmyage55 Wed 10-Jul-19 11:14:55

My “get up and go” has got up and gone! Need to go to the dump and then the charity shop, wash the windows and pot up some bedding plants that have completely outgrown the tray! I could go on..... and on ........on. Wimbledon at 2 o’clock so will try ...... but now I am on GN - someone please give me a nudge?

Septimia Wed 10-Jul-19 12:58:47

Everything! In favour of the tennis. Unfortunately I have to go to a meeting and can't put that off.

Keeper1 Wed 10-Jul-19 13:10:34

Starting my diet!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 10-Jul-19 13:20:31

I'm putting off the ironing here too. It's warm and clammy and I don't want to do it. The longer I leave it the drier it'll get and it'll be more difficult to get the creases out - so why delay? A general lack of enthusiasm, I guess.
There's the vacuuming as well.

Pantglas1 Wed 10-Jul-19 13:33:10

Meant to make a chicken curry for tomorrow night’s supper as it’s always tastier 2nd day but I’ve printed boarding passes, booked airport parking and done general admin instead.

I was a secretary before retirement and still prefer pootling around with office work to being in the kitchen.

crazyH Wed 10-Jul-19 17:26:31

My POAs - started in January and not even half way through.

Day6 Wed 10-Jul-19 17:34:53

I blame retirement. I put off things every single day, because I have tomorrow in which to do them. (I hope!)

I could win gold at the Olympics for procrastination. I assuage my guilt by remembering I have worked like a crazy stressed-out, blue-arsed fly for most of my working years (and it affected my health) so it is a real pleasure and treat now to not have to plan my hours or feel obliged to do things when I don't have the inclination. (I have to do some things in an 11th hour rush sometimes, so I am daft to put them off really. confused )

Wheniwasyourage Wed 10-Jul-19 18:44:35

Well, I've been putting off posting on this thread since I noticed it, so can I have a point for getting round to it now please? I also really need to get on with replying to a couple of emails, which are becoming increasingly urgent. Not to mention the garden...

Minniemoo Wed 10-Jul-19 23:16:21

I'm putting off going to bed. I am so comfortable here. I should be in bed as I'm up and out ridiculously early but I am still sat here.

Olderthanmost Wed 10-Jul-19 23:19:54

Me too. Wife went to bed early with a migraine. I'm putting it off in case I disturb her

Olderthanmost Wed 10-Jul-19 23:20:57

Why early Minn

Mamissimo Wed 10-Jul-19 23:23:58

I’ve been thinking of posting on this thread for a while now...🙂

gmarie Wed 10-Jul-19 23:25:45

Literally writing a piece about procrastination as part of my NaNoWriMo Camp submission! ;)

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 00:11:52

I've been successfully putting off cutting a thick slice of Tiger bread I bought this afternoon and spreading it fairly thickly with French butter and yummy damson jam.
I didn't give in to temptation as I knew that 1 slice would become 3. I had 2 glasses of water instead. grin

gransal Thu 11-Jul-19 00:36:01

The one thing I refuse to do is ironing. dh always helped but I iron everything. Got a great lady who does a brilliant job and is so reasonable.2 pairs of 90x90 heavy curtains cost me £10. My stress levels are most certainly worth lowering for £10.

Griselda Thu 11-Jul-19 09:51:53

...... almost everything.

Leah50 Thu 11-Jul-19 09:55:05

I've been putting off clearing the understairs cupboard for years. Don't think I've ever been to the back of it as I don't like spiders & couldn't escape quickly.

soos45 Thu 11-Jul-19 09:57:03

Sorting out a box (or 2) of old photos....and cleaning the oven

CarlyD7 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:02:04

Literally everything because there's a long list of "things to do" that make me sigh loudly at the thought and want to sleep instead. Have realised that I haven't been giving myself enough fun lately - life is feeling very stale.

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:09:52

CarlyD7
A suggestion: write down each put-off job on a separate bit of paper m, fold it and put in a small box
Take out 1 piece and complete that job in the next 48 hours then throw the paper away. Carry on the same way with all the other bits of paper. You then only have to concentrate on one and not be faced with a whole list.
Good luck shamrockgrin

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:10:23

m

Hm999 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:11:37

Have really struggled since Christmas with getting jobs done. But have been really poorly the last ten days, and done nothing but the absolute minimum.

But today? Up, out, dogs had first decent 'normal' walk since I was taken ill, shopping done, charity shop visited with bag of books, long bath, hair washed and am sat in front of TV watching cricket. Tennis will be monitored on tablet later. Happy days.

Have a good Thursday, girls.

coast35 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:13:58

Clearing out my wardrobe. There are things in there that haven’t seen the light of day since Noah was a boy! I just keep saying to myself I’ll do it tomorrow.
Then there’s the freezer which is choc a bloc with goodness knows what! But here I am on Gransnet again!

nanamac77 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:14:25

Putting off inviting anyone round. The thought of visitors is the only thing that galvanises me to clean the house.
Now let me see, the last time anyone came round was 3.. 4,..5.. weeks ago... or was it more....?

lmm6 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:15:49

Painting the garden bench
Weeding front garden
Ironing
Paperwork
Mopping floor
Taking cuttings in garden
Changing bedding
Pretty much everything.
Agree with Day6 - there's always tomorrow. Must admit I'm getting lazy. A friend of mine (in her 80s) told me she felt she had just let the last 20 years drift and I'm afraid of doing the same. It's the lack of energy really.

Squiffy Thu 11-Jul-19 10:19:16

GabriellaG write down each put-off job on a separate bit of paper m, fold it and put in a small box

I love your optimism - 'a small box' Ha ha ha!!! I'd need a shipping container.

Sadly I think I belong in the Beyond Help group hmm

I can't keep blaming being on GN . . . or can I?

Blinko Thu 11-Jul-19 10:19:31

Claiming some overpaid tax back from HMRC, I've started, so I'll finish....eventually.

Grosvenor Thu 11-Jul-19 10:22:09

I've managed to put off ironing anything for three years. What a waste of time and energy it is.

Itsmyfirstrodeo Thu 11-Jul-19 10:35:22

Gabriella54 what a wonderful idea. I shall try that.
My list is long and varied, but at the top is weeding the allotment, if you could eat weeds, they wouldn't grow half as quick!

mamaa Thu 11-Jul-19 10:35:55

The washing up, going into the garden and collecting up all the weeds I pulled up yesterday on return from holiday...

Diggingdoris Thu 11-Jul-19 10:42:35

Going to the dentist, six years overdue!
Painting the back gate and the garage door. Waiting for a dry day but then it's too hot to stand in the full sun.

seadragon Thu 11-Jul-19 10:47:12

Funny that this is the second item about procrastination that I have seen on line yesterday and now today. I must complete an application for funding for a not for profit scheme to provide professional support for service and ex-service families. It must be submitted next week. We have been developing the project for 6 years and now funding is available which our project perfectly. I was very ill for a virus for 3 weeks last month so was unable to do anything. There have been other stumbling blocks along the way but the truth is, I am a serious lifelong procrastinator. I practise all the tips here and on the previous post but here I am on Gransnet, hiding....

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:53:59

Hurray! I did the ironing early and was washed and dressed before 9.30 which makes a change. There's still the damn vacuuming and dusting.

WoolleySue Thu 11-Jul-19 10:56:50

Septimia : me too! I try to get my work done in the mornings, so that I can sit down and watch Wimbledon all afternoon... had to go out yesterday at 6, and missed the end of the Federer match!

midgey Thu 11-Jul-19 11:00:48

Even now I am mowing the lawn.....not!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 11-Jul-19 11:02:25

I'm also putting off getting the hedge trimmers out to trim a very large privet shrub. I have to get up a step ladder to reach the top and I just can't be arsed.
Only did the blasted thing a month ago and it's all shaggy again.

Davida1968 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:04:55

At this particular moment, I'm putting off tidying the kitchen after breakfast, (DH made the breakfast.) I'm having too much fun, fannying about on Gransnet!

travelsafar Thu 11-Jul-19 11:28:04

I too do the bare minimum of ironing.Everything gets folded as soon as off the line, undies and sock straight in the drawer. t shirts on hangers or over the bannister if i cant find a hanger trousers on hangers only special things for going out in get the feel of the seam iron, just cant be bothered anymore I have too many other interesting things to do instead. I love my garden and my knitting, i love reading or listening to audio books, i love my Tv , so many good series and films to watch plus of course all the political senanigans!!!! Not really interested in watching sport, but love playing bowls, going to my various social groups and generally being out and about. I do dither over things like clearing cupboards and wardrobes, even though i know life would be easier if i just did it!!! lol. Daren't look under the bed either. Who knows what lurks there. Glad to know there are so many of us with the same ability to procrastinate!!! smile

Mistymorningstar Thu 11-Jul-19 11:46:42

I haven't ironed since my son left home, and do very well without it. What i have got really lazy about is filing. There is a pile waiting for me to address - and it is massive.

Amry64 Thu 11-Jul-19 12:04:57

Oh yes! Like the previous person, I like to do admin work so have spent the morning at the computer. I always put off getting dressed - it's such hard work, shower, teeth, clothes, make-up etc. If I don't have to go out I'm often in my nightie all day! Comfort before criticism! Now it's stopped raining I might go and do some gardening (or I might not!)

optimist Thu 11-Jul-19 12:27:14

DIETING

goldengirl Thu 11-Jul-19 12:30:22

Washing a load of towels - very unexciting and it will have to be done again next week. Then emptying dying flowers - equally boring though they've given us much pleasure these last couple of week. Oh yes, filling the bird feeders. I'd much rather chill out and read or do some activity I really enjoy.

Purplepoppies Thu 11-Jul-19 12:46:17

Ending a FWB relationship that is very one sided....
I'm more interested than he is sadly.

Ironmaiden Thu 11-Jul-19 12:47:18

gransal I am a professional ironed and doing all those curtains for a tenner is exploitation.

Ironmaiden Thu 11-Jul-19 12:48:02

Ironer, damn you autocorrect!

Sheilasue Thu 11-Jul-19 13:00:38

Should be doing the ironing but......

jenkins Thu 11-Jul-19 13:01:34

I prefer to call it creative avoidance...not sure if I'M avoiding being creative or doing creative avoiding

Rowantree Thu 11-Jul-19 14:01:14

Clearing out cupboards, rooms, my art and textile stuff in boxes everywhere, selling my unwanted clothes on eBay, finding plumber and builder to remedy leaks and damp in the walls, decorating rooms not touched for 40 years plus, exercising regularly, weeding, batch baking....and there's more. Just returned from holiday so need to tackle the mess somehow but now have heard my dad has a health emergency and I'm scared and can't do much more than vacumming and putting washing out....

absthame Thu 11-Jul-19 14:11:24

Breaking my last ties with the labour party, that go back to 1959. I am fed up with Corbyn and his anti-Semitic sidekicks.

Greciangirl Thu 11-Jul-19 14:15:04

Putting of downsizing to a smaller property.

Just the thought of it is exhausting.

Olderthanmost Thu 11-Jul-19 14:45:46

We've talked about downstairs for 15 years

Olderthanmost Thu 11-Jul-19 14:46:13

Edit. Downsizing

Greengage Thu 11-Jul-19 14:51:42

Almost everything! - washing-up, ironing, cleaning, filing, sorting, clearing-up, writing letters, writing emails, gardening, shopping, trips to the dump - I could go on and on. Am in my 70s and would probably have to live to 250 in order to get everything done!!!!!

gransal Thu 11-Jul-19 15:03:17

ironmaiden I pay a tenner becaue that is what I am charged. If I was charged more I would gladly pay it.

marionk Thu 11-Jul-19 15:23:23

Tax return, every time!!

paddyann Thu 11-Jul-19 16:28:28

putting off a visit to the dentist ,I just spenta fortune on a new crown and now I've chipped it too...not that its the cost thats putting me off I really dont like dentists ..really really dont like them.Not that its personal in any way its just a fear I've had since I was a child and smashed most of my front teeth in an accident .The dentists back in the early 60's were butchers and I have to say I've met more than my fair share of bad ones ever since .I WILL call tomorrow..or Monday ,honest

Juliet27 Thu 11-Jul-19 17:11:49

I'm putting off retirement because like pantglas1 'I prefer pootling around with office work to being in the kitchen'

Overthehills Thu 11-Jul-19 17:38:27

Packing for holiday - just faff about a bit before going back downstairs to watch Wimbledon ...

granfromafar Thu 11-Jul-19 18:14:05

Well yesterday I put off defrosting the garage chest freezer but got it done reasonably early today. Found some interesting items to have for lunch!

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:25:07

My wardrobe! Full of clothes that no longer fit my menopausal shaped body.

CanadianGran Thu 11-Jul-19 18:27:58

If you ask my hubby he would say I am a great procrastinator, with closets and boxes that need going-through. But I'm actually ok with some 'stuff' piled into backs of closets. I may need it one day!

I do admit to being a procrastinator, but more in the administrative side of running a household. But now I make a monthly list of 'to do's' so things don't get out of hand. This month I need to set up auto-payments for property taxes so we don't get a big bill once a year, but it gets deducted automatically monthly.

vickymeldrew Thu 11-Jul-19 18:45:27

optimist like your style! I was scrolling through thinking ‘someone must say “dieting” ‘ and there you were speaking for many of us !

Grandmama Thu 11-Jul-19 19:21:18

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork - and more paperwork. Years of it. blush

CarlyD7 Thu 11-Jul-19 19:47:18

GabriellaG54
Thank you - I shall try that !

Notagranyet1234 Thu 11-Jul-19 19:53:03

I'm on annual leave and fully intended to get up early and get all the family laundry done as this afternoon I had promised that I'd take all my DPs gardening waste to the tip. Unfortunately I didn't check that my mobile phone charger was plugged in so woke up at almost noon because the phone battery died and I didn't set a another alarm 🙄. Tomorrow I'm definitely going to get on top of it though and I have completely cleared my DPs garden so not a complete waste of a day.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 11-Jul-19 19:54:50

Reading these posts has reminded me of another pesky job.
Going through my box if paperwork and shredding all the old stuff.
Yawn.

trendygran Thu 11-Jul-19 20:30:27

I’m another one putting off ironing. I have a new pair of thin trousers which definitely need ironing after being washed. Wanting to wear them again but just can’t get round to the dreaded job. I tease my best friend because she irons everything. Lives 100 miles away so can’t persuade her to iron my trousers!

Boolya Thu 11-Jul-19 20:38:16

Becoming 70. I can’t possibly be 70!

moggie57 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:24:18

sorting out my family history. got it seperated into three boxes for 3 branches of family.it now needs re-writing and the rubbish throwing out.

grannybuy Thu 11-Jul-19 23:00:20

Some paperwork, and cleaning the outside of the windows ( haven't even thought about doing the insides ). The one thing that I don't put off is the washing and ironing. I don't mind laundry. There's always manyana!

grannybuy Thu 11-Jul-19 23:02:33

Must add reading the manual for the car I've had for two years!

MooM00 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:15:08

Moving the Christmas tree into the garage, it is still in the box with the decorations in the dining room. Only 5 months to Christmas I may as well leave it where it is.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 23:22:11

I'm so glad I started this thread. You have reassured me that I am not alone. grin

Izzipop Fri 12-Jul-19 08:34:59

What is wrong with drivers these days?
Remember the old saying ‘ be a knight of the road?’ I often let cars out in front of me, I always acknowledge drivers who do the same but rarely do other drivers do the same. They act as if it is their right. Don’t mention those drivers who tear past me to join a queue at traffic lights and get no further forward I often have to slam on my brakes to avoid a crash. Can we all be a bit more considerate

Maybelle Sun 14-Jul-19 20:36:09

After posting on here that I had been putting off sorting and reboxing my Christmas decorations for a few years now I finally got down to it this afternoon ( don't watch tennis or cricket!) .
I have thrown some away, tidied others and amalgamated three boxes into one.

Oh well I will just have to find something else to procrastinate over . . .

mcem Sun 14-Jul-19 20:46:40

Last year I decided to replace the bath with a shower and redo the rest.
Couldn't make up my mind - even broke my hip to delay the decision-making.
Finally did it. Everything ordered delivered and stored in dining-room.
Installation set for 15 July (tomorrow) and only now DGD is slapping emulsion on the ceiling.
Still need to clear out cupboards and then it's all systems go (I hope).