Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Scam

(42 Posts)
Beckett Thu 11-Jul-19 12:45:14

Just received a phone call with a recorded message claiming to be from the credit card section of my bank and stating a transfer of £600 had been made from my card in the last 15 minutes to a foreign bank. I guessed this was a scam as it was a recorded message and they didn't refer to me by name, so I hung up. Just a heads up to other GNs

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 12:51:08

I've had 4 scam calls this morning where nobody has spoken, but yesterday it was about shutting down my broadband.
The number is : 01265278820. Last call 12 noon today.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 12:54:41

Another just now----01234724133

Niobe Thu 11-Jul-19 13:15:54

If I get a suspicious call I go onto a website called 'Who called me' . If you enter the callers number it gives you info as to whether the call is a scam or not. You can leave your thoughts for others too. Then I block that number from my phone.

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:18:24

My phone blocks calls like these so I lead a stress-free life.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 11-Jul-19 13:23:50

I’ve had two emails recently from HMRC saying I have a tax refund due, and to click on the link to claim it. Both scams and both reported. Funnily enough though both came shortly after I had actually phoned HMRC about tax. Makes me wonder ....... or am I being cynical?

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 14:16:56

Although I am TPS registered and rarely receive unsolicited calls, I had a recorded message today purporting to come from Telecom, about my internet connection. I don't have a Telecom connection. My service provider is Virgin.
So I am assuming it was a scam call. I have tried to enter the calling number on the site you mention, Niobe, but it was not recognised.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 14:18:48

Ellanvanin, your call sounds like mine but the number of the recorded message was 01879896644.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 14:45:07

Would you believe I've had 3 more calls since the last one ? 7 calls so far ! B'stards.

I can't use a blocking system because I've got an emergency system linked up to the phone which is important to me.

MiniMoon Thu 11-Jul-19 16:21:26

All the computer generated calls about broadband being terminated have a different number each time. I had 6 in one day recently, and all from different numbers. I blocked them all.

grannysyb Thu 11-Jul-19 16:22:15

I am a member of the telephone preference service, signed up a long time ago, and we started getting rubbish calls. I went back to their website and tried to sign up again, it said I was already a member. The unwanted calls have now stopped, I think they needed a nudge!

Jane10 Thu 11-Jul-19 16:24:27

The telephone preference service is pretty useless. Overseas companies don't pay any attention to it.

NanKate Thu 11-Jul-19 16:42:38

I’m at my son’s and he got exactly the same call as you Beckett 6 times yesterday ?

Nonnie Thu 11-Jul-19 16:52:19

We get the telecom ones all the time and they are often recorded messages. I would like to know how they know who our provider is though. We block each one but they simply use another number.

Hooty we haven't had any from 'our bank' but I have heard a lot about these calls. I don't understand how they can know that Mrs X has £xxxK in a specific bank so they can scam her. It can't be random because there are too many banks and too many of us who don't keep large sums in their bank. They must get the info from someone working at the bank surely?

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 20:26:35

The problemis that TPS only applies to calls starting in the UK. We keep getting calls from international phone numbers.

Our usual process as soon as the international sign flags up international on the screen, is to answer the phone and immediately ring off. Otherwise it goes through to the answerphone and they know it is a 'good' number.

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 20:29:23

I have had the tax rebate emails and I haven't spoken or communicated with the tax office for years.

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 21:21:03

I don't get scam calls as I have no landline handset. Unlimited minutes from Plusnet on my mobile means I have no need of a landline phone.

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 21:23:38

Anyone who falls for these scams nowadays is obviously living in a bubble.
There's enough info out there to sink a ship.

annsixty Thu 11-Jul-19 21:28:07

My latest was a message to say my house had been rebranded for council tax and I had over£300 owing to me.
I just had to call a number and it would be repaid onto my debit card.
What would be wrong with repaying it into my bank as they did last year when I became eligible for a reduction after being the sole occupant of my house?

GrandmaJan Thu 11-Jul-19 21:31:07

I have Sky Shield on my home phone and never get any of these span calls.

Harris27 Thu 11-Jul-19 21:38:05

I use the telephone preference centre and my calls have dropped a lot!

Nonnie Fri 12-Jul-19 10:27:18

We are registered with the TPS for home and mobile phones but we still get the calls on both. The ones to the mobiles are usually the ambulance chasers.

If you can afford it I think it is good to keep a landline for the sake of the callers who can't afford to call you on your mobile and so you don't need to give your mobile number to all and sundry. If I'm out I don't have to answer calls from businesses because I only give my mobile number to friends. I also don't want to be paying to answer calls when away on holiday!

harrigran Fri 12-Jul-19 10:40:09

As I was reading this thread the phone rang and it was the bank telling me that there had been an unauthorised use of debit card and to just confirm card details. Rot in hell criminals hiding abroad.

Katek Fri 12-Jul-19 10:58:50

Had this very call just yesterday! The number that called me was 01624 559902 so ignore any calls from it.

Here’s hoping nobody on GN gets caught out

wildswan16 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:47:37

I've had four or five calls in the last ten days exactly the same as yours Beckett. They come from a different number every time so it is difficult to ignore them.

If I do pick up I put the phone down as soon as I hear the voice.