Gransnet forums

Chat

When you a child, what things did your mother tell you that you've never been able to forget?

(119 Posts)
Chewbacca Sun 14-Jul-19 11:17:06

When I was a child my mother told me that "decent girls never wear shoes with ankle straps because they look like a prostitute". She also said that "decent girls never wear bright red shoes" (similar reason apparently) confused.

Now I'm in my mid sixties and I look back and realise that I have never owned a pair of ankle strapped shoes; nor red ones heaven forbid red ankle strapped shoes because I always have her strange logic still going on in the back of my mind.

Has anyone else found that their mother's ill judged or ridiculous advice has lasted a lifetime and stopped them from doing something perfectly acceptable?

Mossfarr Sun 14-Jul-19 11:20:52

My Mother refused to allow me to wear black clothing because it was 'too old'.
To this day I rarely wear black and have never bought black outfits for my children or grandchildren.

Alima Sun 14-Jul-19 11:23:21

The only thing I can remember is to wear clean underwear in case I got run over and ended up in hospital. Pretty sensible really.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:23:57

I was told only tarts paint their toe nails, I ALWAYS paint my toe nails!

Septimia Sun 14-Jul-19 11:27:31

My mum used to say "If you dress like a tart, you'll be treated like a tart".

She was superstitious about the colour green - long family story behind the reason - so we never bought or wore green things. I feel really uncomfortable about green and never buy anything that colour even for other people. However, I've never stopped DH or DS buying green things for themselves as I don't want to pass that restriction on.

Pantglas1 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:34:59

Ha ha Sara65 I love that one and so do I!

When I used to complain that something wasn’t fair, she’d reply ‘life’s not fair - get used to it’. And I still don’t think that’s fair!

GabriellaG54 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:44:28

Ankle chains and white court shoes were tarty and white shoes also made your feet look like boats.

GabriellaG54 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:45:40

Never bring mimosa indoor. It's bad luck.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:47:39

Or lilac

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-19 11:48:10

My mum told me to beware of a boy/man when his arm started trembling.

I never did get the chance to test that prize piece of advice!

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:52:15

Annodomini

That’s hilarious!

blossom14 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:54:03

My Mum said sitting on the loo reading a book would give you piles. I had no idea what piles were then.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 11:54:18

It was ‘common’ to smoke outside.

You shouldn’t wear stockings or tights with a ladder in and to stop the ladder with nail varnish was ‘common’.

Ditto about white shoes Gabriella making feet like boats!

Flowers in a vase should always be of an odd number.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 14-Jul-19 11:56:16

If you scowl like that when the wind changes, that is how you will always look! and I believed her?

janeainsworth Sun 14-Jul-19 12:00:38

anno grin
Chewbacca I had similar sartorial advice from my mother.
Ankle straps and patent leather shoes were not to be even thought about, and girls whose mothers allowed them were viewed with suspicion.
Anything black was off-limits too.
When I was 30, I made a conscious decision to rid myself of these hang-ups she'd passed on to me and started wearing black, especially in Mum's presence grin
I have several pairs of shoes with ankle straps and my latest indulgence is a pair of multi-coloured sandals from Camper which tie round the ankle and which would have horrified hergrin
Another one was 'saving clothes for best'. What this meant in practice was that the clothes you'd probably spent the most money on, got worn the least, resulting in a very high cost-per-wear.
It's taken me a long time to get over that one, but I now follow the immortal advice from Up the Junction - 'It's no use waiting till yer an old bag' grin

Charleygirl5 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:01:44

Wearing white shoes would show how common I was.
Wearing shorts and/or a strappy T shirt ditto. I do wonder how I did not end up as the local prostitute. Compared with others I was dressed like a nun.

I would rot in hell if I did not go to church-she was a staunch RC, I have never been inside a church since I was 17 for religious reasons.

Teacheranne Sun 14-Jul-19 12:03:13

My mum told me that if I sit on the seat of a public toilet I would get a nasty disease, I had to squat above it!

Teetime Sun 14-Jul-19 12:03:25

My mother told me never to trust a man who wore suede shoes.
Men with a beard have something to hide (both husbands had beards).
Ankle chains are only worn by prostitutes so men know how to recognise them.
Public loos give you VD
and so much more complete rubbish.

Luckygirl Sun 14-Jul-19 12:08:19

Waste not, want not - over and over and over and over again. Good advice I guess, but I am totally neurotic about food waste. I drain the last dreg from every meal, which gets roasted, then stewed, then turned into curry, then soup.....ad nauseam.

DanniRae Sun 14-Jul-19 12:11:46

I was told that about ankle chains and I couldn't get over the fact that the lady serving in our green grocers had one around her ankle!
My mum also advised me to never go out with wet hair.
If I walked around in bare feet, apparently, I would get a 'germ' in my foot which would lead to untold horrors.

cornergran Sun 14-Jul-19 12:17:35

Same public toilet advice teacheranne, and definitely never to go out with wet hair. I still shudder when our granddaughters rush outside with dripping hair.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:19:16

My granny told me, that if I looked into a mirror on the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve, and for some reason, eating an apple, I’d see reflected back my future husband

boheminan Sun 14-Jul-19 12:19:26

If I swallowed an apple pip I'd have a tree grow inside me and if I swallowed chewing gum my insides would get stuck together

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 12:19:34

No hawthorn flowers in the house.
Leave the back door ajar during an electric storm.
My Tangee lipstick made me look like a gangsters moll, my dad used to say and I still think of that when I use orange lipstick and picture dad's face. Though I'm not a make-up person probably due to my parents attitude.

Grannybags Sun 14-Jul-19 12:21:16

Same here Urmstongran Both smoking or eating outside was forbidden. She would let me smoke inside (as long as my Dad was out!) even though I was under age!

Also waste not want not Luckygirl and I do the same as you!