Gransnet forums

Chat

FaceApp - what do you think?

(34 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 18-Jul-19 09:27:43

Morning all, smile

We've been asked to comment on the new FaceApp feature that allows people to age themselves by about 50 years: www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/17/faceapp-denies-storing-users-photographs-without-permission

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think it's just a bit of harmless fun or think it's offensive to older people? Please leave your comments on this thread. smile

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jul-19 09:33:59

That one pictured is a bit lame they ve kept the same hairstyle just made it white and added a few wrinkles he would probably have jowls, no hair and look quite different If in the original picture he’s 30 that would make the second picture 80 or even 20/ 70 would be much more difference than they are showing
Anyway not much point me doing it I d be 124 and have a bit of a skull and crossbones look

Jane10 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:24:19

My SiL tried it for our DGS- it was amazing. He looked just like my DH. Scary really when he tried it with youngest DGS he turned into my mother!

tanith Thu 18-Jul-19 10:40:25

My whole were doing this on our WhatsApp family thread last night it was hilarious, the Grandsons were just clones of their grandad and one Granddaughter was me. It caused great hilarity and is just a bit of fun, no one needs to use it. I have no need to do it I’m wrinkly and jowly enough already.

tanith Thu 18-Jul-19 10:40:59

My whole family!

annodomini Thu 18-Jul-19 10:49:32

Might try it on the GC, but if I aged myself 50 years, it would make me 128! Maybe a skeleton.

NannyJan53 Thu 18-Jul-19 11:02:07

There is a warning out not to use this App, as all your details can be accessed, and your photo out there forever more, even if you delete it.

EllanVannin Thu 18-Jul-19 11:27:33

I don't need it !

tanith Thu 18-Jul-19 11:39:05

I might add that my family are deleting the app after trying it, it was funny but once you've done it that's it.

ninathenana Thu 18-Jul-19 12:02:02

DD were playing with this yesterday. She becomes the image of me. smile

JenniferEccles Thu 18-Jul-19 12:05:02

NannyJan53 Thank you for that information. I bet a lot of people wouldn’t be aware of that.

Grannybags Thu 18-Jul-19 12:53:03

My son sent me pictures of his family yesterday - very scary! Apparently you can use one to make you younger too so that would be the one for me!

SirChenjin Thu 18-Jul-19 14:01:32

I'm going to try this tonight - can't wait to see what I'll look like when I'm 100!

I did the one which lets you see what you'd look like as a man (or woman). I looked awful - really rough. I hadn't aged well.

sodapop Thu 18-Jul-19 14:13:48

People should be aware that as with any free app the information is being shared. A member of my family who works in communications in the military has warned against this app.

JenniferEccles Thu 18-Jul-19 17:21:13

Thanks also to sodapop for the warning.

fizzers Thu 18-Jul-19 17:35:30

I have read the various reports in the press regarding this app and I won't be using it

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:57:55

I certainly won't be using it.
I've several mirrors around my home which remind me of the passing years and, if I need a laugh, I can go to any funfair hall of mirrors.
I'm not on Facebook, Twitter Instagram et al and definitely wouldn't want Fb to have access to even more data than they already trawl and misuse.
A snake's belly of a company IMO.

Missfoodlove Thu 18-Jul-19 18:13:39

This app has caused havoc on many phones/computers.
Beware!!!!

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 18:21:09

I can't think of anything worse. Why would you want to see bright young faces aging?

More rubbish in this silly world.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:29:57

Didn't it get called into question when someone read the small print? Isn't it Russian? I would stay away anyway but it is always worth being cautious.

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 18:36:14

Do GNHQ think we all need livening up? What with online dating sites and now this. hmm

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jul-19 18:52:04

My DD did something like this with an app that can show how you might look if you changed gender - it was seriously weird!

sharon103 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:52:50

Last night one of my son's showed me himself as an older man using this app also one of his brother and sister. It gave us all a good laugh and I must say it really is brilliant. He hasn't done one of me.....yet. I'll warn him now that I've read these posts. Thanks.

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 21:08:30

I hated seeing my beautiful young grandchildren as old people, actually quite upsetting

SueDonim Thu 18-Jul-19 21:57:47

Anyone using this app has given their photo to the Russian company that owns the app. It can be used in the future for facial recognition and deleting the app makes no difference, they've already got your info, which you agreed to them having when you ticked the T&C's box.