Gransnet forums

Chat

Complaining

(59 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 10:31:08

Are you one of lifes complainers?

Do you get satisfaction from righting wrongs, and extracting apologies from companies, banks, and my own personal favourite; The Council?

gillybob Thu 18-Jul-19 10:46:34

For other people I do. I’ve always been the one in my extended family who will fight someone’s cause . Wouldn’t do it for myself though . I hate seeing good people being taken advantage of . I’ve fought and won countless unfair parking tickets, mainly in our local hospital who operate that horrible “parking eye” system .

Anniebach Thu 18-Jul-19 10:50:16

One of my greatest pleasures , battling with the Council and living in one of their properties I have frequent battles , and when I win ? Such joy

gillybob Thu 18-Jul-19 10:55:08

Oh and how can I forget the sweet smell of success taking on the DVLA who decided to cancel my direct debit for road tax . They refused to use the “s” word over the phone but did manage a back handed apology in a letter .

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:58:47

I do give feedback in almost all cases where I am asked to complete a short survey.
I do also write reviews on Trustpilot and occasionally update them.
I have complained to my local borough council about a couple of things and they made a visit within two days and reported back to me with their findings.
I've also reported unsafe paving, kerbs and overhanging branches to the relevant departments at Guildford Council. They were, variously, inspected, marked repaired or cut down within 4 days.
I can't fault either Godalming TC, Waverley BC or Guildford Council for their continuing interest in keeping our boroughs safe, clean and in good order. Their flower displays are wonderful.
As for other companies such as utilities, I won a court case against British Gas re incorrect billing which they just would not admit to although I had solid proof.
Mind you, I've given very much more praise than made complaints.

gillybob Thu 18-Jul-19 11:02:21

Oh About 3 years ago I took on Northumbria water and won too . Forced them to cancel a massive bill and replace my water meter which they swore wasn’t faulty . Bill was for about 20 times our normal use .

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 11:09:01

I took a photo of myself and grandchildren absolutely hidden by weeds and wrote a letter to go with it, explaining we were in the washing line area of our council properties.
(The one that is supposed to be maintained by the council)
I posted it through the door of a local councillor, and finally got the area sorted.

Teetime Thu 18-Jul-19 11:12:03

I do if it's important enough - choose your battles. I could do without any extra anxiety so unless its a lot of money involved or ill treatment I let bad service go and just dont go back.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 11:16:42

It's quite difficult when its your landlord, your life is sort of tied up with them.

EllanVannin Thu 18-Jul-19 11:54:09

I don't complain, I have battles !
After years of sitting back and just letting things happen that have gone over my head I finally learned to fight back. It's the sheer incompetency that gets my back up and I'm left wondering half the time how some managed to get the job they have.
I'm afraid I'm " old-school " when it comes to complaining with the old headmistress/matron hat on.

I went months not able to receive phone-calls though could ring out and according to the company it was a fault inside the property------No it wasn't ! After a couple more months, the fault was found in one of those green boxes in the road.

No apology and I still had to keep paying the bill.
United utilities were wrong with the billing.
Electric company also wrong with their bills even after the meter was read.

Nobody would ever believe the incompetence etc that I've endured over the years so it's little wonder that I'm always ready for a battle as you just get fed up with it. It's a miracle I haven't gone insane altogether.

At the moment I'm battling with a credit card account I had with Nat West some years ago which they swear it had no insurance attached to it when I know it did as it was added to the payments I made. This has been going on since 2011 ! I haven't got the original paperwork from 1982, but they must have records in the archive.

All I can say is that it's a good job I'm on the ball or I'd be fleeced left, right and centre.

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Jul-19 09:04:57

I'm not a chronic complainer, I think I'm a fairly easy going old duck really but there are a few things which get me on me 'orse and charging. smile

I'm far more likely to try and solve the problem rather than just complain about it.

Sara65 Fri 19-Jul-19 09:18:32

It’s so hard to complain these days, you can never speak to the same person twice, if you refuse to pay s bill, till they sort something out, they just cut you off

But I also see the other side, we run a small business, and sometimes mistakes are made, some of our making, more often to do with courier companies, but as soon as we’re aware of the problem, we correct it.
However, often we don’t know about anything being wrong until they leave us a scathing review! If only they talked to us! and the vile and offensive language people use in email is horrendous.

Works both ways

B9exchange Fri 19-Jul-19 09:27:01

Some things make me see red, like the worsening potholes in our roads damaging cars. Since the turn the streetlights off at night, a real risk for anyone walking after dark too. So I post on FixMyStreet.com. Problem sorted within days, followed by snotty letter from the council saying I should report to them, not the website. I know which gets the quicker response....

But then a favourite dress came back ripped from the laundry in Zanzibar. I was upset, but if I had complained, someone's wages would have been docked, and they earn next to nothing anyway. So good bye dress!

jaylucy Fri 19-Jul-19 10:16:05

I didn't used to be, just put up and shut up, but I complain now to shops , businesses, local government and even complained about one of the night staff after a stay in hospital - well they did give me a feed back form!
I have had various vouchers/ giftcards from some shops in recompense.

Saggi Fri 19-Jul-19 10:43:20

NO! Too much to do...and places to go. Shrug it off.

Auntieflo Fri 19-Jul-19 10:52:56

I do now, not when much younger. Recently, the car park behind some local shops was getting dangerous. Huge pot holes and no signs of being repaired. I emailed the council, and was told that the land was the responsibility of the shops. So I spoke to one of the shop keepers and she said it was mostly S........s. So I emailed the CEO. I had a reply from his secretary? and she put things in motion. Result, the car park is now safe again.

Lorelei Fri 19-Jul-19 11:00:39

Depends what it is - I wouldn't say I'm a serial complainer but if I feel I've been unfairly treated, ripped off, wrongly charged etc I will have a good moan - usually by letter as these days phone calls normally result in frustrating automated responses or rude & unhelpful customer services!

A few years back the council didn't empty my rubbish even though I had notified them I was unable to lift the bin over the fence and get it to the roadside. I checked my Council Tax bill, found out the amount charged for rubbish collection and deducted that amount when sending my Council Tax monthly cheque, along with a polite letter of explanation. The following week I observed the binmen doing their job and did so every week from then on so it was worth it!

I have had the odd refund from shops/supermarkets when products have been substandard or unacceptable. I think my best results from complaining were:

1: Once had a bag a 'mixed' nuts with no walnuts in - wrote to the company and a massive box of all their products arrived with a nice letter apologising and asking me to please continue to enjoy their products and they would look at packing to ensure the mistake never happened again. I loved all the raw nuts and some salted ones, my sister, mum and a few friends pounced on all the chocolate-covered ones (that I can't eat). There were other things too but damned if I can remember what now - possibly other chocolates and sweets.

2: Got one of those paintbrushes that promises bristles won't fall out - and they did...I wrote to them and they sent loads of nice brushes and other decorating things with an apology letter - so nice when companies own up and go out of their way to apologise and rectify/appease.

Rosina Fri 19-Jul-19 11:06:15

I do leap to complain if necessary but I am also quick to praise - in a local department store recently every member of staff I encountered was helpful, friendly, and knew their stuff. I asked to speak to the manager when I was about to stagger out with all my purchases; she looked most apprehensive but when I said how good her staff were and how impressed I was she was genuinely pleased - she said that all she ever hears are the odd customer who moans.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Jul-19 11:11:13

Not really, life’s too short I will if there’s really something to complain about, I m not a push over, but I think I m fairly accepting of most things unless they are really bad

Bordersgirl57 Fri 19-Jul-19 11:28:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tigertooth Fri 19-Jul-19 11:35:22

No, often plan it in my head but I don’t really get angry very easily and if I do it soon passes - life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

minxie Fri 19-Jul-19 11:36:32

I’ve just complained to our local MP regarding free TV licence for pensioners.
It does me good to get things off my chest it might not do any good. But I like to have a go.
If I feel its just I’m always on at my MP

KatyK Fri 19-Jul-19 11:39:56

Certain things I will complain about. We have a canal at the back of our house and the litter in the water and on the banks is appalling. It's such a lovely thing to walk along the towpath in the summer but it's blighted by the mess. Some older folks such as us make an attempt to tidy it but it's too much and obviously we can't get into the water! I complained to The Canals and Rivers Trust but they said 'What can we do?'.

maddyone Fri 19-Jul-19 11:45:39

No, I’m not a huge complainer, but DH is a bit of a Victor Meldrew at times.

Pearlsaminger Fri 19-Jul-19 12:03:28

Yes, I complain if it’s warranted. Went for a birthday meal at Harvester and the food was awful. I told the server I was disappointed, as it had ruined my birthday. He was very apologetic and when I went to pay he said ‘Compliments of the company - and come for a free meal next time too.’ Wasn’t expecting that but it was welcomed and second time round the food was much better.

I also compliment. Young lad serving in a very busy Tesco Extra, was very friendly and chatty. Saw my work badge and said he’d just left the college I worked at. Before I knew it the shopping was packed and it was time to pay. Didn’t even realise he’d been bagging my items - I was too busy enjoying the chat!

Walked away and asked at Customer Service to speak to the Manager... he eventually stormed over, red faced and angry demanding to know what the problem was!

‘No problem’ I told him, ‘in fact a compliment for the young lad on checkout 17. If all of your staff were as friendly and as nice as him, the checkout experience was be so much more enjoyable.

He was shocked, said ‘But he’s only just started - it’s his first day!’ Told him that he’s exactly the kind of server I’d look to go to...

A few weeks later I was served by the lad again. He was so proud as he’d earned himself an Employee of the Month Award. smile

Plus I ALWAYS ask for the Manager. Let the good news filter down through the ranks. If you just tell customer services it doesn’t always get passed up to Managers (learnt that through experience!)