Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating on Trains

(165 Posts)
Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 11:11:43

Oops I think I may have posted this before , but here I am again sitting by someone who has first eaten very smelly cold meat and is now onto loudly crunching crisps . Think there is such a thing as being phobic about eating noises!!

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 11:15:38

And it isn’t even lunchtime!

Auntieflo Thu 18-Jul-19 11:34:03

It’s horrid on buses as well. I wish they, the buses, would ban food .

EllanVannin Thu 18-Jul-19 12:10:05

I think it's disgusting to go around eating unless it's an ice cream/lolly. As for being on transport and eating it just shouldn't be allowed.

Greenfinch Thu 18-Jul-19 12:29:17

I have to move away if someone near me starts eating a bag of crisps or something smelly. Even an apple I find objectionable. Our buses have a notice up about eating "strong smelling food" and generally people heed this.

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 12:31:38

Glad I’m not the only one. I’ve never seen any notices .

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jul-19 12:36:23

Oh come on if you’re on a long train journey you may need to eat I usually buy a meal deal for when I m on a train journey so make sure you don’t sit near me ?
I don’t agree with people walking around the streets eating or on short bus rides but if you re on a coach or longish journey surely you should be allowed to eat
If you can’t stand people eating near you how in earth do you manage in a cafe or restaurant when tables can be quite close or on a aeroplane when the seat next door may be eating

Fennel Thu 18-Jul-19 12:40:22

Whatever happened to only eating at the table at mealtimes?
No wonder there are so many unhealthy overweight people.

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 12:42:30

I'm no against people eating on public transport. However, there really is no need for the noise people make when eating crisps. My DH is a lovely man but when he eats crisps I could scream. He crunches really loudly then tips the bag into his mouth to get the crumbs. Aargh....

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jul-19 12:51:25

Sounds good to me KatieK ? my kind of guy
I get told off by my over sensitive eared, apart from drum and bass at xxxx number of decibels, grandson, that I nibble at crisps he says I m like a gerbil I never had thought of the likeness but he’s obviously deeply researched it Mind you I think anyone near him offends his ears if they breathe
Some people are more sensitive than others
I certainly don’t know why anyone can’t go to the shop for a couple of hours without walking around with a container of coffee and a wrap or chips or sandwich in their hand and then wonder why the seagulls dive bomb them for their food .....but long journeys yes I eat

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Jul-19 12:51:31

I think there are some very precious people around who might prefer to travel First well away from the hoi polloi who might venture to eat a packet of crisps.
Oh dear, they serve free refreshments in First - lets hope nobody slurps their coffee.
The DDs and I had a wonderful picnic on Eurostar with sparkling English wine, crudités, focaccia, sliced cold meats, olives and macarons - I don't think anybody was too upset by us! Although as we had already been to the Champagne bar at St P’s we were quite mellow smile

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Jul-19 12:53:33

I think it's disgusting to go around eating unless it's an ice cream/lolly. As for being on transport and eating it just shouldn't be allowed

And old people are accused of moaning all the time? hmm .

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 12:55:24

Bluebelle grin It's not important in the great scheme of things, just a little niggle - what with me being perfect n all.

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 12:56:45

I’m not saying people shouldn’t eat on trains . Obviously on a long journey people need to. But it’s the smelly stuff at 10.30 am that gets me! I agree I am over sensitive about crisp crunching. Somehow eating in a restaurant is different .

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Jul-19 13:05:53

Then let’s hope someone brings back dining cars with white tablecloths and silver service! Not holding my breath, though.
To be fair, Atqui your experience could have been a late breakfast or at 11.11, an early lunch.

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 13:06:12

“And old people are accused of moaning all the time? hmm .”
Sorry can’t do italics ....but most posts on gransnet are a moan of some kind or another!!!!

fizzers Thu 18-Jul-19 13:08:59

I don't care when/where and what people eat

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Jul-19 13:10:25

Italics are done by using ^ and ^ directly before and after a word or sentence (no spaces) Like this
Yes, I am saddened by the moaning which seems to permeate much of GN. Perhaps that accounts for the absence of many of the older members like ariadne, gadaboutgran, micelf and others?
Don’t even see much of phoenix sad

Nannylovesshopping Thu 18-Jul-19 13:13:21

When someone is munching near me, and it either looks or smells delicious, think, hmmm... pity they’re not sharing?

SirChenjin Thu 18-Jul-19 13:22:31

Eating on a train is absolutely fine imo, but at least have some consideration for other passengers and leave the smelly food at home - there's a time and a place for egg sandwiches, curry and fish and chips, and an enclosed train compartment isn't it.

I'd happily ban alcohol on trains though. No-one travelling in a group and drinking alcohol for several hours is as quiet as they think they are.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jul-19 13:32:05

Well I ve never ventured a curry or fish and chips on a train and I have to say in my long life and much travel I ve never encounter that but I ll hold my hand up to an egg Sarnie
I was sitting opposite some teen girls eating raspberries and blueberries one trip last year and they asked me if I d like to join them I hope I wasn’t slavering
Not sure what trains have enclosed carriages I thought they went out with the steam trains, all our trains are open plan
I rather smell food than the unwashed body smell I have come across on my travels

SirChenjin Thu 18-Jul-19 13:37:08

Enclosed as in carriage compartments with closed windows.

Please no - not egg sandwiches envy <- not envy. Of course unwashed body smells are horrible too - but this thread is about food on trains!

annodomini Thu 18-Jul-19 13:52:41

The long distance trains I've travelled on all have trolley service in standard class and seat service in first class. Not all companies are equally good in their first class service. Cross Country provide a hot meal if you travel over lunchtime and breakfasts in the morning. On Transpennine you're lucky to get a small pack of biscuits and a bag of crisps - not a 'first class' service by any definition. I usually claim my bag of crisps and since almost everyone seated close by is eating them too, there have been no complaints. I don't think I 'chomp' them!

sodapop Thu 18-Jul-19 14:22:10

When I saw the title of this thread it brought back a lovely memory from many years ago.
A friend and I used to treat ourselves a couple of times a year to a train trip from Norwich to London for shopping. It was in the days of the proper dining car and we would have a full breakfast with white cloths on the tables and very attentive waiters. As much coffee and toast as we wanted after the bacon and eggs. The meal lasted nearly all the journey and we didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. Happy days indeed.

Izabella Thu 18-Jul-19 14:28:07

Atqui I have fond memories from travelling through Russia and China on overnight trians and being invited to feast on local 'cuisine.' An enriching, exciting and amazing experience.

Much better than egg sandwiches on UK trains!!