Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1000 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

Luckygirl Mon 22-Jul-19 12:38:55

Ah - a blank space! I never contribute to the kitchen because I always seem to be behind on the latest news of people's lives and well-being and fear I might give offence by not commenting on someone's needs - reading it all takes a long time!

But here I am this morning; waiting patiently for the promised heatwave, and recovering from bronchitis. smile

kittylester Mon 22-Jul-19 12:47:00

Lovely new kitchen, soop thank you for providing us with yet another space.

Hi, lucky. We have a special greeting now to allow for missing someone by mistake. T (hinking) O(f) Y(ou) A(ll)

I'm in hiding (and hanging my head in shame blush) from the man cleaning the cooker.

Back later and TOYA.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 12:53:21

Welcome to the new Kitchen and all who sit in her

Lucky, poor you. That’s something you could do without at any time

Kitty you made me laugh aloud, I felt just the same when a man came to do ours.

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 13:11:15

Luckygirl, Bronchitis is a major buggeration. Take it easy and get well soon.

Sharing this photo of our smiley great granddaughter Mila, who, like all children, loves splashing in puddles.

EllanVannin Mon 22-Jul-19 13:20:23

Aww, isn't that photo just a treat ? You can't help but smile smile

Synonymous Mon 22-Jul-19 13:41:23

Found you! Hope that this will be a very happy place with minimal problems for all of us. smile

Cookies and some of that elderflower cordial made by Himself are on the work top hmm

Has anyone else found that italics no longer work?

dragonfly46 Mon 22-Jul-19 13:45:19

no Synonymous mine work.

Sorry to hear you are ill Lucky - not really what you need.

Think you just have to think you are keeping the man in a job Kitty so no need to hide!

Lovely Mila.
TOYA

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Jul-19 14:17:58

Pleased you are back with us Soop, you were missed!!

These are some of my Birthday flowers, I have left cake and fizz on the side for you all.

Hope you are feeling better soon Lucky.

Kitty I just blame Mr.Gravy when my oven man comes,

🎂🍾🎂🍾🎂🍾

Charleygirl5 Mon 22-Jul-19 14:44:58

Mila is such a pretty young lady and so happy splashing through the puddles. Like the rest of the gorgeous children in the kitchen, she is growing so rapidly.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 15:12:08

Agreed, Charley, she is just lovely. Such a happy little soul.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 15:26:48

Thanks for the fizz GG and hope you had a lovely birthday .

Charleygirl5 Mon 22-Jul-19 15:28:27

I was told a couple of weeks ago by the electrician doing work here how clean my oven was- I must clean it frequently. I just agreed with him, not daring to tell him how new it was!

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 15:30:50

As yet unused, maybe, Charley? 😄

Charleygirl5 Mon 22-Jul-19 15:39:56

I was asked that question but I do use it- okay I no longer cook roasts but it is working several times a week for simpler meals.

I have just seen a fabulous newly refurbished hotel near Kings Cross in the newspaper. A standard room being £385 a night, breakfast I did not think was included. At that price, Tara and I could move in permanently!
TOYA

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 16:05:03

Remember, Tara needs her own room, CG, but that’s still only £770 per night. Bargain.

kittylester Mon 22-Jul-19 16:07:25

I have a sparkly cooker with a newly 'bushed' door! Salads from here on!

Lovely photos doting grans.

Is it your birthday today, gg? Happy birthday. Lovely flowers and lovely cake and fizz.

Now I must make a salad!

annodomini Mon 22-Jul-19 16:45:12

Another lovely new kitchen, Thanks for the welcome, soop.
Sorry to hear that you're poorly Lucky. Or not so lucky at the moment. There's a cough going round here but so far hasn't turned into bronchitis. Hope you feel better very soon.

Syn, some of that elderflower cordial will go down nicely on my 'scratchy' throat. Thanks for donating it.

Happy Birthday GG and a great year to come.

soop Mon 22-Jul-19 17:06:43

I am chuffed beyond measure to be back in our kitchen. You are, without doubt, the most special group of Granspals that I have had the pleasure to get to know. So there!

Tomorrow, as you know, is care home visiting day. I shall return to the kitchen as soon as I return. PLEASE may the broadband connection continue to behave. I've run out of the vilest of expletives. shock

A lovely sunny day. Breezy but beautiful with it.

TOYA smile moon

Nannytopsy Mon 22-Jul-19 17:13:27

Welcome back Soop and get well soon Lucky. My cooker man is very understanding but when I paid for DiL’s, the man wasn’t! I use an iPhone for GN and can do bold and italics but not strikethrough any more.

Panache Mon 22-Jul-19 17:20:29

Wowee!!!! A brand new kitchen yet again,plus the return of our favourite hostess Soop........it does not get better than this!!!

Sorry to hear of you being unwell Lucky......wishing you well and soon.

It seems our buyer wants an early completion which pleases us no end .However since our garage remains stocked up to the rafters with all manner of goods ..that probably date back donkey years!!...........hopefully a couple of dear friends are giving us a helping hand as we are aiming for a Garage Sale, both this saturday and the next.
What with my leg causing even greater hold ups we cannot dare risk two days in a row.Whatever remains will then be going to a clearance sale and hopefully, that indeed will be The End to a certain era of our lives!

It also seems as if my leg wound is slowly making progress so another bit of good fortune.I am so unused to things going this well!!!

Hopefully I may have a few stories to relate after saturday`s events!!
Take care my friends and keep smiling ........TOYA

Nannyfaraway Mon 22-Jul-19 17:33:53

That is a lovely photo of your great Grandaughter Soop. Love her name.
Happy Birthday GG hope you've had a lovely day. Thanks for the cake and fizz.
Hope you are better soon Luckygirl.
I have had a frustrating day off searching for a couple of certificates I need.. Have found all sorts of stuff I haven't seen for ages but not what I actually need.
Oh well I suspect they'll turn up sometime.
Might be off out with my husband tonight. So probably won't be back today.
TOYA

Lins1066 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:01:52

I have just lost my post, I pressed something I shouldn't. 😞
A lovely new kitchen and Soop is back, you have been very much missed.
That is a lovely photo of Mila, some children's activities are timeless aren't they.

Your good luck continues Panache, I'm so pleased for you. Good to hear that your leg is improving too. Wishing you fine weather for your garage sale.

Hope you feel better soon Luckygirl, bronchitis is nasty. I had it some years ago and took a while to get over it.

Happy Birthday GG 🎉🍸
Elderflower cordial, thank you Syn, my DH's gran used to make it. One year a bottle burst in her pantry I remember.

My neighbour is strimming his lawn, whatever he does he makes a b.....y noise. That strimmer sounds like the F1 cars on the starting grid.
TOYA

Galen Mon 22-Jul-19 18:40:16

Facebook thoughtfully reminded me this morning that it was my deceased child’s birthday today!

NanaandGrampy Mon 22-Jul-19 18:51:01

Wow a new kitchen already !! I’ll have to try and find the old kitchen to catch up.

We had a lovely day shopping and the Queen of the Universe just cooked dinner before we take Sam out for a late walk.

Back tomorrow for a proper catch up!

Bellanonna Mon 22-Jul-19 19:00:18

Galen 💐

aggie Mon 22-Jul-19 19:01:35

Oh Galen how awful , xxxx

Nannytopsy Mon 22-Jul-19 19:15:14

As if the day wasn’t already awful for you Galen. So sorry.

Galen Mon 22-Jul-19 19:37:46

Thanks. I’ve survived!
Suspect tomorrow will be worse, depends who’s PM

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Jul-19 20:17:39

Galen sending hugs 💐💐💐

Luckygirl Mon 22-Jul-19 20:22:24

Galen - flowers from me too.

I am struggling to keep up with all the messages and I have only just arrived in the kitchen! Perhaps my brain is just not speedy enough.

Love the GGC pic - they have such zest for life!

Happy nth birthday GrannyGravy1!

Someone in to clean the oven - now that is true decadence!

Has anyone had the heatwave yet? - there's a bit of sun now, but it has been grey (but warm) all day. Maybe tomorrow - sunshine to go with the PM news - I feel I might need it! Managed to get OH into the garden in wheelchair for a few minutes in this flash of evening sun. The sunsets from here are beautiful and not to be missed - and I have grabbed a molecule of VitD!

Lins1066 Mon 22-Jul-19 20:27:28

Galen hugs from me too 💐

Izabella Mon 22-Jul-19 20:37:25

Galen flowers and luckygirl hope things improve.

Very brief from me. Totally whacked but content next to the Irish sea with friends.

TOYA

Greyduster Mon 22-Jul-19 20:43:59

Good evening the new kitchen! This is the first chance I have had to look in as the blasted WiFi has been down most of the afternoon and evening. When it did come back on, DH had commandeered my iPad for his soup recipe. He made soup. Who their right mind makes soup when temperatures are in the eighties? It is very good soup though!

Ah! Small children and puddles! A match made in heaven, Soop. Mila is a treasure and growing up so fast!

N&G your dinner certainly looks appetising! Culinary talent and a burgeoning beauty - what a girl! No, not you, N&G! The QOTU!😁

Galen 💐.

Oh good! The dog up the road that has been barking it’s head off for about half an hour has decided to shut up just as we are preparing to abandon the garden and go in. We might squeeze five more minutes.......
I found a photo about half an hour ago that my GS purportedly WhatsApp’d on Wednesday. He’s holding some sort right of a trophy but I’ve no idea what it is for and am intrigued to find out when he comes tomorrow. Have a pleasant evening. TOYA!

Galen Mon 22-Jul-19 21:15:20

TOYA

mumofmadboys Mon 22-Jul-19 21:39:30

I have to be very brave. Tomorrow our old dog who is nearly 16 is being put to sleep by the vet in the afternoon. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. So sad.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 22-Jul-19 21:47:32

That is heartbreaking, you obviously know it’s the kindest thing you can do for her, buts it’s so hard to say goodbye to a faithful friend, will be thinking of you tomorrow

Urmstongran Mon 22-Jul-19 21:51:29

The tears will flow tomorrow momb our animals become family members don’t they?

Hello to everyone in the smart new kitchen. I don’t call in often enough and you are such lovely, supportive and kind people

💐 for you Galen that must have been a heartbreaking ‘reminder’.

It’s warm and muggy tonight. I slept badly last night so I’m already tired. I think I’m off to my bed as it’s an early get up tomorrow. Over to mind the grandchildren on the first day of their summer holidays and mummy doesn’t finish at her school till Thursday.

We will need our energy!

TOYA. Hope that’s right? x

lemongrove Mon 22-Jul-19 22:18:50

mumofmadboys very sad to lose a loved pet after all those years, even when it’s the right thing to do sad

lemongrove Mon 22-Jul-19 22:22:07

Am not here for a blether, but rather for a huge slice of virtual cake, ginger for preference, but would accept date and walnut or lemon drizzle.
Trying to lose weight so even looking at a slice of cake in the RW is out! 😩

gransal Mon 22-Jul-19 22:34:45

momb my heart goes out to you. Went through the same thing and you know you are doing the right thing but oh my how it hurts.

Nannytopsy Mon 22-Jul-19 23:27:41

MOMB thanks. Our elderly cat is hanging on in there but we don’t know for how long. Mind you, if he wakes me at 4am again tomorrow. .... grin

mumofmadboys Mon 22-Jul-19 23:29:37

We lost our cat last November aged 18 and a half. They grew old together!

gransal Mon 22-Jul-19 23:55:44

momb we lost our beloved cat aged 19 yrs. about 2 years ago. I know it sounds nutty but I still catch glimpses of him . I am not an airy fairy type of person so I think I am just holding on. Thoughts are with you.

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 06:43:57

Lots of hugs galen. flowers

It's hard, momb but a very loving thing to do. thanks

n&g I'm happy to give The Queen of the Universe house room if necessary!

I plan to garden this morning and then watch the political events unfold!

cornergran Tue 23-Jul-19 07:33:26

Hugs from me too galen.

I’m avoiding the political stuff kitty, enough on my mind. We’re meeting friends for coffee then plan to find some shade and watch the world go by. Gardening? Bit warm for that. Remember lots of water.

More hugs for you mumof, I’ve done the same three times. So hard.

Soup greyd? Much healthier than the large portion of chocolate ice cream consumed here yesterday. grin

TOYA, keep cool everyone.

Nannytopsy Tue 23-Jul-19 07:35:35

Are you a masochist Kitty? Mind you, I think we shall all be there to see the full horror unfold!

annsixty Tue 23-Jul-19 08:06:56

MOMB flowers it will be sad day but you are loving to do it.
My TV will stay firmly off.
I very sticky night and Molly was so restless with the heat, she is, of course, now fast asleep.

Out for coffee this morning and my GD is coming to stay the night as she has the day off tomorrow and we can spend it together.
Sincerest good wishes to Galen. Difficult times.

TOYA

Greyduster Tue 23-Jul-19 08:13:36

Things are looking up - I actually have a signal on the iPad this morning! Probably won’t last.

Momb it’s a sorry thing to have to say goodbye to our animals. We have done it too. She had a good long happy life with you so that will be some consolation I’m sure.💐

We are planning to take GS into the Peak District today - to do what I’m not sure, but I hope we will find some cooling stream to sit by (us and half the world probably!). We had thought to go canoeing in the local country park, but the lakes are infected with some sort of toxic algae so that’s a non starter. If all else fails, we can come home and he and grandad can get the water guns out!

I will look in later. Have a pleasant day, kitcheners.

dragonfly46 Tue 23-Jul-19 08:17:10

Galen [flowers}

Mumofmadboys so sorry to hear about your dear pet. It is heart breaking when you have to let them go.

Oh well off to see the oncologist today and hoping she is in accordance with my surgeon. I rather suspect there is a power struggle happening there but we shall see.

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-Jul-19 08:21:09

Morning all,

We are all washed out here after a s or hing day and airless night , even poor old Sam looks fed up! We are taking the Queen of the Universe home today on what looks to be another scorcher- just what you need 4 hrs in the car !

So sorry to hear FB threw you for a loop Galen . I don’t suppose your daughter named you as a legacy owner for her page because then you can stop that sort of thing . It’s something we should all use now so much of out data is on line.

Kitty The Queen of the Universe is turning out to be very useful 😁, you are welcome to have her for a week. She is a capable cleaner , has a fair repertoire of recipes but sadly NEVER stops talking and adore train crash TV !!

So sad to hear about your dog MOMB , it doesn’t help but to do the right thing by an ailing or elderly pet-friend is the greatest gift you can give. It takes courage , compassion and a whole lot of love . Thinking of you today 💔

Lemongrove I know how you feel re cake. We have weighin this morning and I have been sabotaged by the QOTU and her excellent cookie making 😬

I am off to grab a shower and collect up all her bits and bobs before we head off... happy day all xx

Bellanonna Tue 23-Jul-19 08:21:28

MOMB. Been there, know how dreadful it is. Thinking of you💐

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 08:40:22

Just in case anyone is worried by 'gardening' I meant deadheading the flower bed and cutting back the mint so we can find the steps to the garage.

I could have been exaggerating a touch to call it gardening! grin

My DH has just done a very kind thing by forgoing a T20 match to watch dgd2 perform in her end of term play. We asked for tickets for Tuesday but she could only get them for Wednesday. She was really upset so will chuffed to see him there.

angelic Tue 23-Jul-19 10:30:11

Ahh MOMB,
So very sad, my thoughts are with you and your family, especially this afternoon.
We went through the same with our Springer who died when he was 15, like yours, just part of the family.

This is my first time in the kitchen but I do read often and think what a lovely, caring place it is.

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 11:07:22

Welcome angelic, did you bring any cake? smile Have you posted on other threads? Tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm jiggered and all I've done is cut back the blinking mint. Now having a cup of tea and waiting for history to unfold! Tea might not be strong enough for what might unfold in the next few days. That is as political as I am going to get though!!!

Back later!

Doodle Tue 23-Jul-19 11:39:04

kitty when I used to have my cooker cleaned I always explained to the ‘cleaner’ that I got it dirty to keep people like him in employment 😊. I have now bought a pyromaniac oven which cleans itself.

Galen ((huggs)) flowers.
dragon hope all goes well with your constant.
Hello soop lovely new kitchen 😀
TOYA

Doodle Tue 23-Jul-19 11:40:42

blush I know I can’t spell but even I know my oven is not a fire starter 😱. You know what I meant 😊

Doodle Tue 23-Jul-19 11:41:46

Sorry forgot to say welcome to angelic 😊

angelic Tue 23-Jul-19 11:46:58

Hi kittylester
Thank you for welcome.
I can do a pretty good Lemon Cake, I will put one on the side in the kitchen!
I do love baking, not so much cooking though😉.
I am a Nurse, retired early 8 years ago due to circumstances.
I spend a lot of time with my one and only 8yr old Grandchild. Grandad is still working.
I do pop in to other threads esp the games ones. But I do not like some of the others!

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 12:02:39

Welcome Angelic I am well aware some people do not like us here because we are civil to each other- tough.

kitty of course you were gardening- you were in the garden and not sunbathing so what else could you possibly be doing?

N&G Sam would like my house as it is always cool in this hot weather. I have no idea why- it was the only good thing the builder did before he went bankrupt.

I am not sure if I could tolerate incessant chattering but maybe if QOTU cooked decent food I could tune her out!

mumofmadboys Tue 23-Jul-19 13:28:24

Our dog was put to sleep about an hour ago. The vet was lovely and it was very peaceful. It went as well as it could. Thanks all for your kind comments.x

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:41:21

So so sad, many of us have been down that route. Are you going to get another animal, having had to put your cat to sleep in November last year?

I am not sure if I will when Tara and I part company because of long term care when I depart.
TOYA

Nannytopsy Tue 23-Jul-19 13:48:26

MOMB flowers.

soop Tue 23-Jul-19 13:51:14

mumofmadboys Many of us understand your feelings right now. I am sending you peaceful vibes. flowers

Welcome, angelic, having virtually sampled your lemon cake, may I ask you to please visit us lot more often. The more, the merrier. sunshine

N&G If the 'Queen of the Universe' continues to take after you, she will forever thank you for your guidance and support.

Charleyg Still no sign of "our" Brodie. I shall never give up the daily ritual of servicing the chalet and replenishing the food and water. One day...who knows...

Nannytopsy Tue 23-Jul-19 13:51:43

Just cleared out some hand knits MiL did for our babies who are 33 and 32 and wool baby blankets which were my Dad’s. He would have been 100 this year so I think they can go now! Only a few little moth holes!
What do I do with towels and bed linen which are old but usable?

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 13:56:04

Animal charities, topsy? We have loads too! blush it seems wrong to throw them away.

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:57:27

Nannytopsy I gave mine to a local charity who did not have usable towels at that moment for handwashing so they were very grateful.

soop the problem is that you have no idea where he is and if he is okay That makes it difficult.

I hope you are resting - that is if this roasting hot weather has reached your neck of the woods. We are only expecting 35C here in London.

soop Tue 23-Jul-19 13:57:55

Doodle grin

kitty Oh my! If only I had dead-heading to contend with. I've researched Montbetria, which is attempting to take over our garden. It's classified as a horticultural thug. Reading between the lines - unless we employ a strapping full time gardener who can dig out all the clumps (and burn the foliage), we cannot hope to iradicate it from our plot. It is that invasive, it's supposed to be taken to a designated site for disposal. Buggerations by the barrow-load.

soop Tue 23-Jul-19 14:01:00

Nannytopsy, I agree with Charleyg. A local charity or the Salvation Army would be happy to find such useful items a good home.

soop Tue 23-Jul-19 14:11:43

Galen flowers flowers flowers

Lins1066 The sound of an old fashioned lawn mower was, in many respects, a soothing and comforting Summer sound. Not so the modern gizmos.

Nannyfaraway Our great granddaughter - Mila Johanna - has a Dutch daddy. smile

Panache After so many months of watching and waiting and hoping for a result - Wowee! You have come a very long way in a relatively short time. So much positivity. That leg is a buggeration and it's a fact that as we age, any injury takes an inordinate amount of time to fully heal. Providing it is being monitored and dressed regularly, it should respond before too long. I wish you well.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Jul-19 14:24:00

mumofmadboys 💐💐💐 it is very hard for you at the moment.

I have just returned from eldest Grandsons leavers assembly he is off to High School in September.......and yes I cried along with my DILs Mum!

We were there because of a total breakdown in communication which meant that S and DIL were flying back home at the exact time of assembly, we took loads of photos and videos.

I then stayed and had lunch with him 😘😘😘

It’s very hot and sunny so now in the Garden with 4yr old who has got Grandpa to put the bouncy castle up so he is bouncing and swimming (we have a large hot tub that they have all learnt to swim in)!!!

Being a Grandparent is hard work!!!

Panache I hope your leg improves.

Galen 💐💐💐💐

Soop what a buggeration in your garden.

TOYA

soop Tue 23-Jul-19 17:45:52

GrannyGravy13 Having grandchildren, watching them grow, being there on very special occasions...all super-charged emotional stuff. Photos are essential. Our vast collection of albums is testament to that.
PLEASE keep GrandpaGravy off the bouncy castle. You know that it makes sense. wink
Have been onto the lower lawn and taken a photo looking up towards the top lawn and the verge of the rockery. All that flattened foliage is down to my loss of balance. shock

mumofmadboys I'm hurting with you. Reading of today's sad event, has rekindled my memories of having our beloved Rory and his daughter, Bracken, put to sleep. Before them, we had to go through the same pain with a cat called Hamish. They were all members of the family. That's why the pain of losing them is hard to bear. sunshine Our consolation is knowing that we truly loved and cared for them. x

I am away until after ironing duties for my pal tomorrow morning. Back again early afternoon. Hopefully we won't have more problems with the internet should we have thunderstorms.

TOYA smile moon

Luckygirl Tue 23-Jul-19 19:12:43

mumofmadboys - what a difficult day for you.

Izabella Tue 23-Jul-19 19:24:11

MOMB sad news for you and your family. My thoughts are with you

I hope you are feeling more positive Galen.

A wonderful day here in the Emerald Isle. Some snaps from my cliff walk this morning

annodomini Tue 23-Jul-19 19:26:31

MOMB, I've been there and I feel for you. It's hard saying goodbye to an old friend. flowers
Doodle, I was having severe misgivings about your oven and thinking about summoning the firefighters. I'm glad you cleared that up. grin
soop, is there any point in telling advising you to ca canny in the garden? No? I thought not! My family have me on a warning about falls, but haven't had one since the cracked rib a couple of months ago.
N&G, your QUOTU reminds me of my senior GD who used to take over my computer, print out recipes and then take over my kitchen to produce cookies and cakes. Alas, she grew up and now has her own home. Enjoy yours while you can.

Bellanonna Tue 23-Jul-19 20:16:47

Soop, reading your earlier post I get the feeling you may just be trying to talk yourself into getting a “strapping full-time gardener”. Izabella, the pictures are lovely. Would you want to say whereabouts that lovely scenery is? Would it be over to the West?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 23-Jul-19 20:24:32

Kitty your cooker couldn't have been any worse than ours I am sorry to say. It was so bad he took a before and after photo which he will probably use to show people what he can. Mind you, we had been away for 4 months leaving to young people living in the house. I might a the rest of the house was ok. Lin I know what you mean about the noise from a streamer. I just had to look out window to see what was going on, 3 doors away and it sounded like it was outside our house.

grannyqueenie Tue 23-Jul-19 22:05:49

Well I did type a newsy post late last night... seems the poor WiFi connection we have here wasn't able to follow through and actually post the blinking thing.

We had a weekend joining in the retirement celebrations for a good friend, after hearing all the tributes/expressions of appreciation etc the poor man was an emotional wreck by the end of it all. But I have to say it was all well deserved and it was lovely to hear just how much he’d been appreciated. Since Norfolk is closer to where our friends live than where we live we’d decided at the last minute that it would be a shame not have a few days on the North Coast! So we’ve enjoyed 2 very pleasant days enjoying this lovely part of the world and all in beautiful sunshine too. We will meander our way back home tomorrow before real life catches up with us again. I’ll hopefully attach couple of photos but since I think that’s what may have scuppered last nights attempt who knows if it’ll work or not.

I can’t quite get my head round another new kitchen... how did that happen so quickly? But I’m very glad it’s here for us all, a pleasant place to relax, meet “friends” old and new and catch our breath before facing the various challenges large and small that we all have to contend with from day to day.

Won’t risk comments or greetings, as I can’t face another failed attempt at saying hello to everyone, but as always toya, sleep well kitchen folk! xx

grannyqueenie Tue 23-Jul-19 22:14:37

Looks like it worked at last so will risk adding a few more!

Bellanonna Tue 23-Jul-19 22:25:01

Lovely pictures GQ. No wonder RSPB chose the avocet as its logo. What an incredible bill it has.

Lins1066 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:37:22

Mumofbadboys, what a terribly sad time for you and your family. A difficult day for you. I have been thinking of you 💐
Soop I've not heard of that plant, it sounds a demon to shift. I hope Brodie returns to you, you made a lovely B&B for him.

It has been so hot here today, it is our wedding anniversary. It rained then, what a contrast. We have only inside photographs.

Welcome Angelic
TOYA

Nannytopsy Tue 23-Jul-19 23:28:23

The old name for crocosmia was montbretia. I think the new varieties are more thuggish - our Lucifer was a beast and sadly I shall not take any with me!

mumofmadboys Tue 23-Jul-19 23:55:45

Thanks for all your kind thoughts/ comments. I don't think we will have another dog for a few years. We have had pets for most of our married life - 2 dogs and 2 cats and they have all had long lives. One son has developed a cat allergy so no more cats for us. It will be nice to have the freedom to go away without arranging pet care for a while anyway. The house seems odd without her and there is a big space in the kitchen where her basket was until lunchtime. No regrets though- the time for right to say goodbye to our lovely dog.
TOYA I know a lot of you are contending with more serious worries and sadnesses.

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Jul-19 09:23:32

Morning all !!

We have recovered from yesterdays 200 mile round trip in scorching weather- looks like its going to be another hot one here today !

Maybe , in time MOMB you might consider pet sitting - where you have someone else dog for an over night ? That still gives you a dog fix but without being tied down. I can imagine how strange things feel without her - they leave such a big gap in our lives .

You should have popped in GrannieQ !! Lovely pictures - its hard to beat the Norfolk coast on a blue sky day.

Anno there is little doubt the QOTU is going the same way as your granddaughter. She could not be persuaded to go to the zoo or country park this time even though they have been well loved before. I did ask her if she would ever be too big to visit me and she was horrified at the thought :-) so I think I have a while to go yet :-)

Welcome Angelic ….are you ;-)

I am adding a picture of the little boys this morning. The first shot is last September the first day of school and the 2nd today at the end of term . Cooper is dressed as a pirate as his class is having a pirate day to celebrate. They entered class down a slide , through a bubble machine lol ! I wouldn't mind a go of that myself.

Happy day all !

soop Wed 24-Jul-19 14:17:38

anno wink

Izabella The Emerald Isle is very much like the West Coast of Scotland. Just beautiful.

soop Wed 24-Jul-19 14:39:22

Bella, your suggestion re a "strapping young gardener", is a very wise one. grin

Barmeyoldbat Have I missed your coming into the kitchen? If so, I apologise and extend a huge, warm welcome to you. It's possible that we've met before. It's just that my memory bank is a bit dusty at the moment. smile

granniequeenie Yet more winning photos from your camera. Love the creatures.

Lins1066 Be warned...should you ever find one in your garden...you must dig it out because it will multiply and invade all areas available to it.

N&G Delightful boys. Us lot love the bones them.

I arrived as usual to do the ironing for my pal. I had a very uncomfortable seering pain in my pelvc area. Thought to myself, oh, please not the start of another UTI. I completed the latest antibio's just last week. Started ironing and knew that I was about to vomit. Dashed for the cloakroom and did so. My pal shoved me inside her car and brought me back home. I am feeling improved. Sat through Theresa May's final question time and thought to myself...there goes a lady who did her very best to sort out a mess not of her making. hmm What now?

A friend gave us this perenn plant when it was not in bloom. Today, it looks stunning. I must ask her the name of it. One saves the seed pods and sows them in fresh compost next year.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 15:54:52

soop should you not be on the phone to your GP? Something has caused this and we are all aware of the state of your health which you play down. Please, please look after yourself.

I had to go a short journey in my car and it is so hot here it is actually almost unbearable and I am doing zilch. I have asked Alexa for a local weather forecast and it is 31C and apparently is rising to 35C tomorrow. I cannot wait.
TOYA

Bellanonna Wed 24-Jul-19 16:04:02

Soop, Charleygirl is right. See your GP! Especially as you had all that pain.
CG it’s unbearable today! DD is off to a holiday on Mull tomorrow where it’s 17° Wish I was going with them.

Panache Wed 24-Jul-19 16:09:56

Thank goodness the day has been decidely dull compared with the boiling sunshine of yesterday,but sadly there seems no rain and our country is beginning to look rather sad.

MOMB my heart truly goes out to you as we know ......as so many of us do.......the pain and grief that follows the death of a much loved pet.May the memories help to bring you some comfort.

Sorry for the sheer insensitivity of some folk Galen

Whilst Soop you have had more than your fair share of all manner of health issues and I demand you get improved health from this day forth............I might even write demanding such from our brand new Prime Minister!!!

Sincerely hoping your Wedding Anniv ersary was a decidedly happy one for you Lins1066 time you truly had some uplifts...... and may the healing continue.

Lovely pictures that make my mouth water!

Some good news re my leg, as at long last it is showing signs of healing and my nurse is very pleased with progress.

Two trips to our former home this week,clearing out the last of the rubbish although I have a feeling it will not be quite the last!
On saturday the first of 2 Garage Sales and we certainly hope for a nice dry day but please.......... not another scorcher!

Wish me luck as I wave you all goodbye!
Have a lovely day and do keep out of trouble.TOYA.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:10:32

Oh Bellanonna could I be her baggage carrier? I cannot take off any more clothes- it is difficult knowing what to do.

It is nearly 45 years since I last visited Mull- I do hope your DD enjoys it there. Anywhere is better than London- I am assuming she lives here?

Bellanonna Wed 24-Jul-19 16:15:20

Thanks Charleygirl, I’m sure she’d appreciate that but you might have to share a bed with a little one! They live in Surrey where it’s much the same as here. They’ve packed cagoules and boots and I’m sure they’ll have a lovely time.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:25:57

The little one would not sleep well because I toss and turn and being so used to my own double bed the little one may well himself on the floor so maybe I should stay here.

there is a little air coming in the rear French doors. In a few months time, I will be moaning because I am too cold. I may have a shower soon- as I have solar heating and all of this sunshine I do have unlimited hot water so there are some pluses.

dragonfly46 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:35:25

So good to hear your news Panache. Things are certainly moving apace.

Soop ring the doctor and find out what it is you have picked up. You are very vulnerable at the moment.

soop Wed 24-Jul-19 17:23:08

Panache Your good news continues to brighten our day. That leg, if it is responding to the antibio's, will hopefully stop giving you and us lot cause for concern.

Since returning home this morning, I have rested, had plenty of fluids and a Magnum that MacSporran thoughtfully rescued from the freezer as we watched the latest news unfold. The pain is no longer a problem. I am almost certain that I have another UTI. Tomorrow, we'll pick up a pee pot from the surgery. I'm betting on the wee being infected.
The other day, I discovered a newspaper cutting on the matter of mesh implants and the likelihood of repeated infections. As you know, in 2002 I had anterior/posterior ventral suspension surgery. It was carried out in a private hospital in Cornwall, prior to our move to Scotland. Things haven't been right for a very long time. Further prolapses and corrective procedures have taken up much time and repeated journeys to different hospitals in Glasgow. The hospital has not responded to any communication from either Consultants or me regarding whether or not mesh was used. Apparently, although I was in hospital for almost ten days, they have no records because it was 'too long ago'. I have almost given up hoping to find answers. Sometimes, the variety of buggerations become like a millstone around one's neck. Too much faffing makes for discontentment. Life is too short.
If we had the funds, we would pay for a private investigation with an expert. In the meantime, please do not fret about me. I am tougher than I think. There are Granspals dealing with far worse problems and I would sooner they have all our support.

Time for log off. It's a glorious day. Nowhere near as hot as in some parts of the Country. Hot enough! So far, we've escaped a thunderstorm.

TOYA smile moon

cornergran Wed 24-Jul-19 17:29:49

Please see the doctor soop, if nothing else it stops us all nagging smile

Nearly there panache, keep going.

It’s a pleasant 26 here today, usual sea breeze aka howling gale which is unusually welcome. Have done - nothing at all other than read since 10am. Fuzzy head so little coherent thinking and achey bones after early physio but it’s not unpleasant just to sit.

Good to see those happy boys n&g, school wasn’t like that when the dinosaurs ruled the earth grin

Happy anniversary lins. flowers.

TOYA.

cornergran Wed 24-Jul-19 17:31:40

Crossed posts soop, pleased you’ll get yourself checked, hope you have a comfortable night. smile.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Jul-19 20:37:06

Well in SE Essex it is showing 32 degrees, Mr.Gravy has just been sitting in the "big" car with GS watching tv with the air conditioning on to cool him down after a busy day.

Myself and D (who is pregnant) are seriously considering sleeping in same big car!!!

I love the heat but this is on the uncomfortable side, but hey ho better than rain and cold!!!

Wishing you al a good night and sleep well.

TOYA 🌞💐

annsixty Wed 24-Jul-19 22:42:06

I am just back, well half an hour ago, from visiting a friend and we were able to sit in her lovely garden all evening.
I really can't remember the last time we were able to do this here in the NW.
It was such a treat.
We did have a couple of glasses of wine but it is now so hot in bed that I don't think that was the reason.
I don't know if thunder is forecast for tonight like last night but tomorrow is going to be a record breaker.
Stay safe folks

Greyduster Thu 25-Jul-19 08:39:33

Hello the kitchen! I hope we have now got all out tech problems sorted after our ISP sent us a lovely new “super router” hmm. We have a child free day today and it is already warming up outside so we are planning on doing the sum total of nothing, and the thought of spending any time in the car is more than either of us can stand. Add to that the fact that I suspect I may also be joining the UTI brigade so I will hit the cranberry juice and lots of iced water today. We had a long day out with GS on Tuesday and I didn’t take anywhere near as much liquid on board as I should have. Yesterday we were at the swimming pool, which was bliss, and then went for a walk to see how the local blackberries were getting on. We found seven ripe ones and I told GS that when we were his age we would eat them straight off the bushes. He was horrified and insisted we take them home to be washed! What snowflakes these youngsters are! They wouldn’t last five minutes in the wild! (Mind you, neither would I now!). I told him the origin of the phrase ‘to grasp the nettle’ and we dared each other to do it. He chickened out, I got stung!

Soop please look after your health - you sound as if you have been in the wars again. “Getting on a bit”, and all it brings with it, is a complete pain!

Corner sounds like you have the right idea today! A book and a beach! What could be better?

Gq your photos have given me serious Norfolk envy. That avocet is fabulous. We are working on getting down there shortly ourselves, fingers crossed!

N&G young Jim Lad certainly looks the part, but even without the pirate gear, you can see the change in him since the beginning of term!

Good to hear your leg is on the mend, Panache!

Well, I can hear Mr Duster stomping about upstairs (his way of telling me to put the kettle on!), so I had better go and bid him good morning. Have a good day and I will look in later. TOYA!

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-Jul-19 09:11:14

Morning all!

Just a flying visit !

As far as bad days go this is a corker!

Renal clinic in hour , an hour from home. Dentist at 4pm an hour from home the other way ! Add in potentially the hottest day of the year and 4 hrs in the car —— shoot me now!!!

Wish me luck please 😁😁😁

Back later !

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion