Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jul-19 14:50:57

soop I wonder how the latest cat found the meal waiting for Brodie? I hope Brodie never comes "home" to an empty plate! Shortly every feral cat around will be quietly queuing!

soop Sat 27-Jul-19 15:14:03

Charleyg It's a mystery. Although, we recall Rory being the only feline at one time to visit the same chalet. Until that is, he came along accompanied by a female and two youngsters. At that time, he waited outside the chalet and allowed the others to dine undisturbed.

I'm on a roll. I have unearthed all manner of interesting facts relating to the use of vaginal mesh...more importantly, the name of of of the surgeons who dealt with my case, has appeared as promoting the use of. Is it any wonder that I am up against a solid brick wall. No response to umpteen requests for assurance that mesh was not used. Of course not. I am a mere patient. Well, we'll see what my favourite lady GP thinks of the facts that I have gleaned thanks to Google.

soop Sat 27-Jul-19 15:15:23

Sorry about the repeated "ofs"...one will suffice.

chicken Sat 27-Jul-19 15:17:30

Commiserations to all of you with worries and grief over pets. When we had to have our beloved marmalade tomcat put to sleep after a three year battle with unstable diabetes, I used to "see" him, a flash of movement in the corner of my eye, even when I hadn't been thinking of him, and I'm convinced that his spirit, whatever that may be, was still hovering around the house. It was comforting and heart breaking at the same time.

cornergran Sat 27-Jul-19 15:20:41

I've just come in for a hug. A friend 250 miles away, more like a sister, is very poorly indeed. Her daughter is very afraid about the standard of her care and really can't cope. I listen, two long calls so far today, talk to medical staff when the right one is working as I have my friends permission to do so but its oh so frustrating being so far away. I'm told one thing, her daughter observes something else. I need to see, but can't. We came back from there a week ago, just not possible to be there more at the moment. Nothing anyone can do, just needed to share it in a safe place. Sorry to be a misery.

TOYA

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jul-19 15:25:09

soop at least you are now armed with information.

Thankfully, with very few differences, people are now kept informed. In the day that you had that type of surgery- they were "doing their best for you" and really you should be grateful. Times have changed. Sorry I cannot help- I know zilch about it, orthopaedics is more my forte.

annsixty Sat 27-Jul-19 15:42:59

cornergran what a difficult and upsetting time for you, especially when there is little you can do .
soop the vaginal mesh issue is a scandal.
I heard just a few weeks about someone affected not too long ago.
She is currently getting ready to sue.
I hope you will find you can do so as well.
No compensation for what you have suffered over the years though.
Rained all day here ,the gardeners will be happy.
TOYA

cornergran Sat 27-Jul-19 15:51:29

Thanks ann, just had the third call of the day. I'm furious with the hospital staff and can only hope for better things.

Soop have you found the 'sling the mesh' group? Worth a look if not. Wishing you well for your GP visit.

TOYA

soop Sat 27-Jul-19 17:37:19

chicken I often feel the presence of our beloved cat, Rory. He made us both so very happy. The pain of him dying, and watching MacSporran carrying him wrapped in his special blanket up into the forest from whence he came, still remains.

corner You are welcome to come into our kitchen for as many hugs as you need. Thank you for the 'sling the mesh group'. I shall certainly take a look.

Ann and Charleyg - MacSporran has photo-copied several sheets of what may well be relevant info'. Roll on Tuesday!

I'm away to make the chalet look smart and sort out fresh food for whomsoever calls by in the early hours.

TOYA smile moon

callgirl1 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:52:29

When our beautiful Pepper was run over, I said we weren`t having another cat, but a month later David talked me into it, and we acquired Mia. The night before we were to collect Mia, I was standing in our open back doorway, and I KNOW that something warm and furry brushed against my legs on it`s way out. I like to think that it was Pepper saying a final goodbye, as well as approving our getting Mia.

dragonfly46 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:54:23

Corner sending you lots of hugs. You are a true friend and I am sure her daughter really appreciates your efforts.

I hope you can get the info you need about your repair Soop. I believe they are still doing the ops despite the painful after effects.

A friend who has moved away, has just rung me for an hour, as it is free. She spent much of the time telling me about all her friends who have had cancer and how many have died. She has completely sapped my positivity.

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jul-19 21:44:53

corner difficult to know what to say if the daughter is on the phone so frequently. I appreciate that you and Mr. C also have your own lives to lead but it is very hard with such a distance between you and the hospital. You cannot jump in the car at a whim. Is your friend receiving poor care or is it what the daughter has imagined? very difficult.

I am so jealous you live so close to the sea-in this weather I would be in it!
TOYA

NanaandGrampy Sat 27-Jul-19 22:05:22

Evening all,

What a difference a day makes...we are now considering building an ark !!

Knowledge is power soop , I hope it helps your situation.

That’s such a tough thing Corner , is there anyone closer who can help ?

Dragonfly what a shame you were swamped by negativity in your phone call. You are stronger than that! We are all here supporting you x

Some people lack a brain cell ??

cornergran Sat 27-Jul-19 23:16:07

A hero clinician has unlocked the muddle around our friend’s care. Although still very poorly, to use their term, it’s now clear to me at least that her daughters fear about mistreatment is unfounded. The clinician stayed for two hours after her shift, unpicked it all, explained it to her daughter and then phoned me. I think a medal is called for.

Although there was a huge miscommunication this morning that does bear attention in my view the important thing is in spite of her daughters beliefs our friend is being treated both appropriately and safely

Sadly no one closer who is or counts as family. Like many of us family is sparse. I suspect well meaning friends are making the daughter worse. She views us as her second parents. As long as the agitated phone calls tail off all will be well.

Thank you all for your support, it’s good to be able to be honest here as outwardly I don’t show stress and can always sound calm, years of professional training make that possible but it doesn’t mean upset isn’t there.

I plan a good nights sleep and a potter in the garden tomorrow. Monday is acupuncture and the beach. A couple of good days to look forward to.

TOYA, sleep well everyone.

Synonymous Sat 27-Jul-19 23:19:51

soop so glad that you are arming yourselves with all that information. It is scandalous to even suggest they don't know what was used when we are very well aware of all the records that have to be kept which include the numbers on implants etc.
Interesting to hear of yet another nocturnal visitor, do you think they are connected? If only they could talk!

Dragonfly it is only after the call is finished that you wish you had asked exactly why they are telling you such things! I hope she is wondering why she said them too! hmm I hope you have a much better day tomorrow and find your positivity again. flowers

Corner do try not to own the angst in your friend's situation because you will make yourself ill. Been there done that! It is hard trying to help from a distance, you feel so helpless. I do hope things start to improve in every way. flowers

My goodness the rain is pouring down here too N&G! I am so glad not to have had to go out today but am really hoping for a better day tomorrow. Himself is sure he booked a table for Sunday lunch but can't get through to the restaurant to confirm. shock It could be short rations tomorrow or as my Granny would have called it "Whommel" a scots word meaning an empty, upturned dish! I have never written that word down before and I have no idea if it is right so if anyone else knows do tell me. smile

Synonymous Sat 27-Jul-19 23:23:40

Don't know why that posted at that point! confused I was just thinking that my Granny's word might be one of those 'family words' which we all seem to have, but I don't know.

TOYA smile

Synonymous Sat 27-Jul-19 23:26:37

Crossed post Corner hope you can sleep really well now. X

Carillion01 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:01:09

Good morning everyone who'll be in this lovely kitchen today. I've been 'away' for a couple of weeks but firmly back now.

Sending love and support to all kitcheners who have needed it. I don't want to miss anyone so TOYA really expresses how I feel.

I do need to send special thoughts and care to dear soop for Tuesday's visit to the medics. xxxx

For everyone in this lovely place sending you afternoon tea, served all afternoon for anyone lonely, in need or just a bit peckish! xxxx

I've enlarged the background of the photo (I hope) to show you the cricketers who love afternoon tea. X

Charleygirl5 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:05:30

I am hoping to get washing dried outdoors today but that may be pie in the sky. It is still muggy here but I do not have to go anywhere today.

I am hiding behind the sofa because of another thread- maybe I should have stayed in bed?
TOYA

dragonfly46 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:05:45

How gratifying to hear there are still workers in the hard. pressed NHS that go above and beyond. The call must have set your mind at rest about your friend. So sad her D has no one nearer to turn to.

I hope you slept well.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 10:11:35

What a difference there is between honest “sharing” ad the support and sympathy it occasions on this lovely thread, and the grumpiness described on the Moaning Negativity bread.
There is so much going on in kitcheners’ lives, but never to the exclusion of others’ problems.
I was dreading our 49th wedding anniversary last week, I saw the approach of sadness and tears like an oncoming train and I was helpless to stop it. So I took a deep breath and decided not to mark it in any way other than in my thoughts and I came through better than expected.
So safely past that hurdle (?) here is a pic of Paw on his big day with his best man. He was happy, I was happy and I am happy that we were both happy smile
TOYA

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Jul-19 10:15:13

Morning all!

We are betwixt and between today, weather wise , as my Gran used to say. It’s neither one thing or another with intermittent rain, occasional sun and general mugginess .

Carillion ,afternoon tea is my all time favourite !! I’ll pull up a chair if you don’t mind !

I hope your reservation is confirmed Syn or you and MrS can join us for afternoon tea ?☕️

I am so glad things worked out Corner ! Communication is everything isn’t it. How kind that a total stranger went above and beyond to straighten things out . I hope that puts your mind at rest a little .

Our little boys have been on a grand adventure going to both Alton Towers and Legoland in the last 4 days and staying in hotels . We face timed them last night and the highlights were :

1. Cooper did driving on the big boys cars at Legoland and had to tell a fib and say he was 6 ( he’s 5) .... according to Cooper he tells great fibs ?

2. Apparently , small boys would like beer in their packed lunch - mummy to take note !

3. The absolute best thing is they were V.I.K ( very important kids) at the hotel which meant they had their own waitress at dinner and were allowed to eat dessert as a first course!

I love what pleases small people most, their Mum and Dad paid a small fortune for this trip and the upshot is the boys can lie for England, drink beer and eat dessert!

It’s a crafty day here, I have a new gizmo that I still cannot make work so I shall be fiddling with that !

Happy day all!

dragonfly46 Sun 28-Jul-19 10:18:03

Lovely post Maw. Pleased you got through your difficult day without too much sadness.
Love the pictures and others you have posted of the great day where you all looked so happy.

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Jul-19 10:18:40

Crikey , I must have taken time to write that post as I crossed with 3 more lol

I’m glad you got through another first Maw , you can always share about Paw here, we feel we knew him.

Charley what have you been up to now ?

Dragonfly how are you feeling today ? Afternoon tea ? X

dragonfly46 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:10:19

Thank you N&G feeling better - positivity returning and had a good chuckle at the fact that your DD spent a fortune on your DGC teaching them to lie, drink beer and eat dessert instead of dinner! I think my DGC would love that - must mention it to DS.

Afternoon tea looks wonderful can I book a table for 3pm?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion