Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

annsixty Mon 26-Aug-19 19:16:18

Susan, my D has a cavachon named Stevie

He is the most delightful dog and the family can't imagine life without him.
He is 2 and a half, very ⁷loving and affectionate but very needy.
They may have made him like that though.
He goes very happily to Doggy day care a couple of times a week and loves it.
He wants to be friends with everyone he meets.
Lovely with children and all other dogs.
He tolerates their 3 cats and will sleep with one of them if he feels like it

Can't recommend them too highly

NanaandGrampy Mon 26-Aug-19 19:21:50

Evening all,

Just a super quick pop in as I am melted!

Hello Susan56 , I don’t think we’ve met!

We have a Cavalier King Charles called Sam, and just as you described , he is the sweetest boy. He’s not our first Cavalier and I have to say over the years we have had other breeds also and each dog is different. There are always some underlying characteristics but each has its own little personality . So, in your search be aware you might not get a Harry replica. If you’re prepared for that I would definitely get another , they are so wonderful with children.

I’ve never had a Cavachon ( a cross Cavalier/ bichon I presume?) . Please don’t think me harsh but I dislike these designers breeds immensely . Both of those breeds are wonderful little dogs but when you cross breed you never get 50/50 . It might be 10/90 for instance. So there is no way to be sure the characteristics you like and want will be in the puppy you pick. It’s like the fairy tale that all Cockapoos are non shedders. That’s simply not true, admittedly some are but an equal amount are not . Do your research into what faults each breed has because, you could end up with a pup with all the worst faults.

I am envious of your search for a new puppy ( don’t tell Sam lol ) and hope you fin the perfect dog for you and your family. I hope there will be pictures 😁... this is Sam !

Susan56 Mon 26-Aug-19 19:23:48

Thank you Ann,that is exactly everything I needed to know,sounds absolutely perfect for our family.The hunt is on now for the right pup.
💐 for you Ann,hope you are feeling better.

Susan56 Mon 26-Aug-19 19:29:41

Thank you for your reply too n and g,crossed posts.Sam is adorable,they are a lovely breed,every cavalier we have met has a lovely personality.I will definitely be posting pics when we find our pup.I don’t know how long the search will take,but even if it’s six months so long as we get the right boy.
I have hopefully enclosed a picture of our darling Harry.

Izabella Mon 26-Aug-19 20:22:31

morethan I am so sad. The words wont come, but could not pass your heart wrenching post.

mrshat Mon 26-Aug-19 20:34:06

morethan - your post brought a lump to my throat. You and your family have managed so well with DiL's illness. You are all amazing as indeed is she. I hope and pray that she is able to see her daughter settled which will bring her comfort and peace. Sending my thoughts and prayers for all of you. With love and prayers and positive vibes. flowers

MawB Mon 26-Aug-19 20:43:30

I had a Tricolour Cavalier as a child - Hamish and a cuddlier, soppier, wimpier dog could not imagine
I loved him dearly and was devastated when he had to be PTS the same day Winston Churchill died.

NanaandGrampy Mon 26-Aug-19 22:05:16

Susan56 what a cute face Harry had ! I can see why he is so missed . I think you’re very wise to take as long as it takes to find a new pup .

I always feel the right one chooses you 😀

Susan56 Mon 26-Aug-19 22:19:36

Nana and Grampy,thank you and yes,my daughters say I mustn’t be fixated on what I want as when it is the right pup both the pup and I will know.
Maw,I can imagine your devastation at losingHamish,many years between him and Harry but they sound very similar.

Charleygirl5 Tue 27-Aug-19 09:21:58

Harry and Sam are so handsome.

Sam knows there is a home here, albeit temporary when he wants a change.

It is so hot here- 33C yesterday- a repeat performance today.

annsixty Tue 27-Aug-19 09:32:56

Good morning all.
For the first time ever, the milk in the small jug I take upstairs at night for my morning cuppa from my Teasmade has curdled.
It was warm last night but not as hot as many nights recently .
Does that mean thunderstorms to come I wonder?
After a really bad weekend I am being taken out for lunch today, I hope it stays fine.
TOYA

Synonymous Tue 27-Aug-19 10:04:27

Ann I wonder if we are just becoming accustomed to the heat? We have an ice pack collar which fits small jugs and tumblers and keeps everything cool. We have had it so long that I have no idea where it came from but there must be something like it available on the internet. Tea in the morning is essential!
Enjoy your lunch out, the company, food prepared and no washing up - what is not to like! smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:47:48

Oh dear Annsixty when you really want a cup of tea in bed.....what a nuisance!!!

It’s really hot in the South East, but I have jobs to do, changed the bed, and generally potter before cleaners tomorrow.

Might find myself drawn to the sun lounger later.

TOYA

soop Tue 27-Aug-19 14:04:19

Apologies! We've been home for a very short time. MacSporran needed an asthma update at the surgery. It all took an absolute age.

Susan56 I'm pleased that you shared your post with us lot. I also agree that you "will know" when you meet the right dog for you and the family.
I would very much enjoy painting a watercolour of Harry. It will be a gift to you. Since I had the mastectomy way back in March, I have neglected my easel and arty farty hat and have become lazy when it comes to taking on a challenge. If it's okay with you, I shall make a copy of the photo and begin sometime soon.

soop Tue 27-Aug-19 14:07:19

N&G Would you also like a wee watercolour of wee Sam? A gift, naturally.

Susan56 Tue 27-Aug-19 16:08:49

Soop,thank you,that would be wonderful💐

soop Tue 27-Aug-19 16:28:50

Right! Susan56 using the photograph that you kindly shared with us, early next week, I shall prepare the way for dear Harry's wee portrait. I need the challenge. Thank you. I shall do my best to do him justice.

I've done another load of ironing. A glutton for punishment. wink MacSporran has been busy with the strimmer. I shall make him a brew.

Tomorrow, I shall doing my pal's ironing, after which, I hope to join you lovely lot.

Until then, TOYA smile moon

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Aug-19 18:59:43

Evening all,

I am in a snit this evening so please pass the leg of lamb!! I managed to drop a jar getting it out of the cupboard. It has dry soup mix lentils etc in it. And what did Grampy say you may ask ..........

“Why did you do that”?.

Is there a more stupid question ???

I told him so and he followed up with .....

“ don’t jump down my throat , it’s the hot weather , you’re out of sorts’!!

As the red mist descended over my eyes, I reached for the knife block, carefully selecting the butchers knife, I turned round and plunged it into the top of his head as he was bending over sweeping up. I then popped out to the garage for the chain saw and dismembered him, taking the time to wrap each body part in cling film........

Then the red mist cleared and he was there sweeping up and huffing.

But it was touch and go!

Men! I should pose a question on GN - what is the most ridiculous/obvious question your husband ever asked. There should be a competition!!

Sighs...... pass me a strawberry mivvy please I am off to look for my former good humour ( and size up the ditch for a disposal site 😬😬😬) x

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Aug-19 19:01:23

Ah Soop I have the previous one you did in pride of place on the wall , it is much admired . I feel I can’t take advantage of your talent twice - you’re in for a treat Susan , Soop captured a wonderful likeness of Sam x

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Aug-19 19:22:05

NanaandGrampy I am sorry that has made me laugh out loud !!!!

Susan56 Tue 27-Aug-19 19:35:00

Soop,thank you again,your wonderful offer to do a portrait of our little Harry made me quite emotional,in a good way!and nanny and grampy Sam’s portrait sounds amazing🐶

Ann,I hope you are feeling better after your outing today.

We have had a funny old day!Our main job today was to go up to Cheshire to help my mum with her finances but first we were having a cupboard delivered and a quick trip to the hospital for DH’s pre op.The time for cupboard delivery came and went.Some 30 minutes later we had a call from the local charity shop,had we meant to donate a brand new sideboard still in its packaging.No we hadn’t😂luckily my mobile number was on the side of the box so they had called me and very kindly delivered the sideboard.The delivery driver had got his deliveries all messed up.Laughing about it now but slightly stressful at the time.
Next to the hospital where all went well.We came out and the gentleman who looks after the car park asked if we had considered buying what is basically a season ticket.I know we have had a lot of appointments but didn’t realise it was that many!Anyway,we bought the ticket which will work out at only £1 for future visits.

Finally got to mums,went for lunch,sorted the banking and did her months shopping and set off for home.A few minutes into the journey a friend messaged to say could they come over tomorrow so back to the supermarket for another shop.

Just got home,will unpack and sort the new sideboard then I think collapse with a stiff drink each!!Think you could do with one too nannyandgrampy!

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Aug-19 19:45:21

I am recovered my good humour GrannyGravy but oh it was touch and go !! And you're right Susan I might even need more than one !!!

Charleygirl5 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:25:14

N&G you need to be on the lookout locally for major road works where there is a deep trench and cement has to be added. Grampy would make a good base- pity he has lost so much weight. I would also have murdered him.
TOYA

kittylester Tue 27-Aug-19 21:41:46

Evening all!

I have been keeping an eye on you all but haven't quite had the wherewith all to post! However, I've lost two mini pizzas and wondered if they were in this kitchen rather than my own? I'm fairly sure I bought them because dh remembers seeing them in the fridge. Ellie and Lottie were going to customise them and have them for tea. A quick run to the shop was necessary.

No doubt they will turn up somewhere totally random and totally unrecognisable because they have gone all green and hairy. Oh dear. I expect it will be Pa's fault!

TOYA

Nannytopsy Tue 27-Aug-19 22:12:12

Nothing quite like a furry pizza Kittygrin
We are still waiting for exchange on our house, since Friday when it was expected. Our buyers are paying their deposit in three tranches - last one tomorrow, we hear! Then maybe we will know when we move - early next week, we hope. I am losing the will to live.

kittylester Wed 28-Aug-19 06:54:05

topsy, you must be tearing your hair out. I hope it gets finalised soon.

morethan2 Wed 28-Aug-19 08:20:32

Thank you all for your kindness and for your prayers and positive thoughts for my wonderful DiL. I’m sorry for such a distressing post. I had the worst two weeks ever. I was with her when she was told there was nothing more they could or would do and they advised telling the children. It was just awful, she was so distraught. She asked me to tell her family, my family and my son. Telling her mum was the worst, I had to watch her crumble. I never want to do that to another mother ever again. Throughout I never showed any emotions even though I felt sick. It felt as if I was swallowing and pushing down all this black bile. Then some of my relatives rushed down to see her staying with me. No sooner did one leave then another turned up. So watching this wonderful sick girl at the birthday party knocked the lid off my emotions. I’ve nowhere else to go with them, even my husband is starting to look visibly upset if I talk about it to him. It’s not that we’re not supporting each other, we are but the way we deal with it to try to pretend it’s not going to happen. It’s too painful to talk about it, we want to try to make the best of things and not upset her or each other. Of course occasionally someone is overwhelmed and because I’m one step away from it her family come to me for a safe place to let it out. I’m more than happy to be here for them but as most of you know when we close the door on people we’re fond of who’ve been crying on our shoulder thankfully unknown to them we feel the burden of their emotions. So I’m sorry I passed the burden to you on a particularly lovely bank holiday. Please know I am really grateful.

cornergran Wed 28-Aug-19 08:22:29

I’m admiring your restraint n&g. Talk about living dangerously grin.

Oh nannyt, what a palaver. Fingers crossed for you.

That sounds a bizarre sort of delivery susan, hope the new sideboard is perfect.

Hope the milk survived the night ann, nothing like the first cuppa in bed. We used to do the same before the days of a bungalow, seems daft now when the kitchen is close by.

No blue sky this morning, I’m missing the sun already.

TOYA, take care everyone.

dragonfly46 Wed 28-Aug-19 08:32:52

Morethan you are carrying and incredibly heavy burden and it sounds as if you are carrying the rest of the family's as well.
Please feel you can come here and let it out. This is such a cruel disease and it sounds as if your DDiL is amazing.
As you say maybe the only way to try and cope is pretend it isn't happening but easier said than done.
I think about you all often - sending hugs

aggie Wed 28-Aug-19 08:37:43

Morethan plenty of broad shoulders to lean on here , as said before , feel that you can let it out here , you are in my thoughts and prayers , xxxxxx

annsixty Wed 28-Aug-19 08:40:41

morethan you must know we are the last poeople to need any apology from you.
We are helpless to do anything but give you our love and our prayers.
It is so hard for you to be the recipient of everyone else 's outpouring of grief, your own is more than you can bear.

The milk situation was solved for this morning thankyou corner , my GD stayed overnight and she brought the milk up at 7.30 as she left for work so it was cool and fresh.
Now to plan for tomorrow

I had a lovely lunch out yesterday, a nice pub with a somewhat better menu than most and I had z delicious mushroom and lemon risotto, with of course a glass of chilled white.
My friend was in good form and apart from feeling envy at all their holiday plans, at least four a year two of which will be medium to long haul, it was great.
Her H has worked very hard all his life until well past 70 and they do deserve it.
TOYA.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Aug-19 08:54:04

morethan, you must find the time to take care of yourself as well as everyone else.

No apologies needed in this kitchen as you are amongst friends, who are only a computer click away.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family 💐

🍓🥝🍇🍉🥐🥖🍯☕️☕️☕️☕️

Have left newly baked croissants and bread along with fruit and honey on the side.

TOYA x

eazybee Wed 28-Aug-19 09:13:56

morethan2, I have admired the courage and bravery of your daughter in law, you and your family for some time, and I remember the photograph you posted of the lovely grandchildren.
There are no words that can alleviate the suffering, but you cannot and should not, carry this burden unsupported.

Have you any links to a church? Ministers are acquainted with grief and accustomed to dealing with life and death; in my experience, not as harrowing as yours, they gave unconditional support. Also, the Samaritans.

Susan56 Wed 28-Aug-19 09:20:04

Morethan,I echo dragonfly’s post,she has put into words perfectly what I was trying to say,I too think about you often.
Ann,I am glad you enjoyed your lunch yesterday.
Corner,the sideboard is in place and looking lovely!
TOYA

Carillion01 Wed 28-Aug-19 09:46:14

Dear Morethan, love, prayers, thinking of you at this devastating time for you and all the family. X

morethan2 Wed 28-Aug-19 09:46:41

Hi all can you give me some quick advice one of my visitors is here with her dog, she’s been sleeping in the bedroom so with the heat the whole house smells doggy. She leaves tomorrow and my son comes down on Friday how can I get rid of the smell, he’s really fussy

annsixty Wed 28-Aug-19 09:55:32

Try Febreze,it’s good at smells, you need the one for fabrics, not just the air spray.We generally on GN don’t like aerosols but sometimes needs must.
Spray the curtains, carpet and bed.
Good luck.

annsixty Wed 28-Aug-19 09:56:28

Windows open from now until he arrives will also help.

Panache Wed 28-Aug-19 13:48:12

My heart bleeds for you dear Morethan.Words at such times prove so truly inadequate, but please,please know how much we care and wish we could offer some real changes in the circumstances you face.You have proved so very brave and as for your Dil..........a very remarkable and courageous lady indeed.Our thoughts and prayers wing their way to you all, with special thoughts for those dear little ones.

So very pleased hearing that your husband has had all the tests and scans Dragonfly ruling out those particular nasties.However I can well appreciate how each one is worried sick about the other.
Perhaps these excercises are exactly what your man needs and they will make a new man of him over a period of time.
Just hoping all will go smoothly for you on Monday, just know we shall all be holding both of you up in prayer.

Whilst loving reading your posts I so enjoy all the beautiful pictures and when the chat turns to our 4 legged friends.......dogs.......I am in my seventh heaven!!!

Our BBQ went well and with the sun shining it meant we enjoyed a little stroll around the garden.Later a special treat came in the shape of our friends bringing their well behaved dogs, as well as a very pretty bunch of colourful roses.These look almost too perfect to be real,gracing our new sitting room indeed.
The hall table has duly arrived and looks just what I had in mind,pretty,attractive but small, yet big enough to take a table lamp .
Bit by bit this flat is truly getting to be every inch a home.
Amazingly I seem to have found nooks to house everything.

Nannytopsy however I truly feel for you and this very off handed way your proposed move is being handled.It must be driving you up the wall.It is a stressful time at the very best, but having such uncertainty hanging over you is just not on,it is bang out of order.

Sending blessings and TOYA always XX

soop Wed 28-Aug-19 14:42:45

A very warm welcome to easybee. smile

morethan2 Please, never feel the need to apologise to us lot. We are here for you. You can share all your feelings come what may.
As for the pong...Fabreze may be of some help together with plenty of real fresh air.

N&G Your post made me hoot. It was on par with some of the scariest real crime dramas.

Ann I am always happy to hear that you have have enjoyed a treat.

GrannyGravy Yum!

The ironing session was a tiring event. Am now waiting to see GP with another suspected UTI.

soop Wed 28-Aug-19 14:49:10

Nannytopsy Stay strong. Us lot are rooting for you.

Latest news on Brodie. We understand that five traps may have been delivered to the farm where Brodie and his brood live. If all the cats oblige by entering the traps, they will be taken to a vet for neautering. After which, they will be returned to the farmland. It is for their own good. Please let them not play silly b's and give the would-be rescuers a difficult time. Rory would not cooperate at first. However, after moving in with us, he became more agreeable.

soop Wed 28-Aug-19 14:49:52

Neutering. blush

NanaandGrampy Wed 28-Aug-19 15:03:06

morethan we will always be here for you to offload , you never need to apologise x

For doggy smell you can sprinkle very sparingly the scented bobbles that you put in the washing machine on the carpet . Leave for an hour and hoover up . I always put a spoonful loose in the bottom of waste bins . A scented candle can work wonders .

If all else fails you can buy a spray for the actual dog ( for next time) , Sam’s is called baby powder , a quick squirt and he’s like a little mobile air freshener !! They sell it on Amazon 😀

eilyann Wed 28-Aug-19 15:54:45

morethan I can only echo what everyone else has said. You and your family are in my prayers flowers

chicken Wed 28-Aug-19 16:35:27

morethan you are being so brave and supportive at such a terrible time, Take care of yourself so that you can still be strong for those who need you.

I've been looking out of the window at our rough and bumpy gravelled driveway where there were two deer, a mother and a "teenager". Mum was busy having a tasty snack from the hedge, but youngster was much more interested in tormenting Mr Henry Pheasant and his lady wife who were trying to have their supper of the dropped sunflower hearts from the bird feeder. They were not amused. The deer were there for quite a long time until some hikers emerged from the footpath over the road and scared them away.

Thank goodness it's a bit cooler today. I thought I was going to melt into a puddle yesterday and the bedroom temperature was still 26C in the wee small hours.

Scones and newly made plum jam on the work top.

TOYA

soop Wed 28-Aug-19 17:44:44

chicken I was drawn to the kitchen by the delicious aroma of scones and newly made plum jam. I have a plate and I shall sample your wares.
We have deer visit our back garden fence that skirts the forest. We also have a pheasant - Freddie - and oftimes his wifey - Freda - accompanies him.

Hello, eilyann. We're about to log off the computer for another day. Day started with light rain and has ended with bright, warm sunshine.

callgirl1 Said hello to David. The campsite is packed. Folk having picnics and thoroughly enjoying the Kintyre sunshine.

Until tomorrow. TOYA. Much love. smile moon

callgirl1 Wed 28-Aug-19 17:51:24

Thank you Soop. We haven`t made it up there yet this year, but I live in hope. It`s like coming home once we reach Tarbert.

Anneliese63 Wed 28-Aug-19 19:06:45

Morethan I have no words except to send love and prayers. 💐

Since DHs diagnosis, I have valued the help and support of my children more than I can say. DD in particular is a rock, despite having the challenges of a disabled child. Today they went on a much needed holiday, and they came to spend time with us yesterday. When I went to bed, I found a lovely card, thanking me for all the help I give them, and a little gift bag with some sweets she knows I like, and little bottles of red and sparkling wine, so that I could have some fun while they are away. I must admit I shed a tear or two! I am so proud of my strong and thoughtful daughter.

TOYA. 💐

Nannytopsy Wed 28-Aug-19 19:12:51

Well we still haven’t exchanged but the buyer has been to visit. I was convinced it would turn into a threat to pull out if we didn’t drop the price. Happily, she was lovely and is as keen to get it over as us. A large gin later, I am feeling more relaxed.
Morethan, my troubles are so minor when I think of you and your family. Hugs and prayers.

Doodle Wed 28-Aug-19 19:51:36

morethan please come in the kitchen and let rip whenever you want to. You must be a very special person that all the family can come to you but you need taking care of too. 💐

NanaandGrampy Wed 28-Aug-19 21:52:33

Evening all!

Good to hear your worst fears didn’t come to fruition NannyT . You’ll be glad when it’s all over.

Getting Brodie neutered might make him more amenable to visiting more often soop . I do hope so.

We’ve been privileged this evening , sitting in the garden in the dusk and watching the bats, we were surprised to turn and see a barn owl, wings full stretch , gliding silently across the field in search of supper. We’ve often hear him roosting but this was the first time we have seen him in flight.

I shall have my camera handy next time!

Dentist tomorrow...so I’m already miserable. I’ll be into the kitchen when the deed is done !

cornergran Wed 28-Aug-19 22:37:22

Evening All. Our posts crossed this morning morethan, I know this is late but please listen to us all and never, ever consider an apology. Just come and share whatever you need to. Sending love to you all.

I love reading about all the encounters with animals, from cats to owls. We spent quarter of an hour hoping not to see deer this evening driving back from a meal with friends along a road notorious for deer fatalities. Fortunately the deer were absent and we could breathe again.

Wishing the cat catchers luck soop. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if n&g are right and Brodie visits more after his, err, procedure. Hope you are comfortable and the UTI fear was unfounded.

That’s sounding almost positive nannyt, I think you can dare to hope now.

Weary now so it's off to bed here. TOYA, sleep well everyone.

grannyqueenie Wed 28-Aug-19 22:56:24

morethan you’re often in my thoughts and prayers. Please never apologise for “saying it like it is”. It’s just not possible to carry the heavy load that you have to bear without having somewhere for a bit of support for yourself. You have been and continue to be so strong for everyone else, please let us all support you as best we can from a distance. I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing there was more I could do to help.

Lots of news both happy and sad in the kitchen these last few days and as always humour too but it’s late and time for bed so I’ll wish you all what I hope for myself - night of refreshing sleep and as always toya x

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 11:45:21

Anneliese Your daughter has expressed her love and gratitude and in doing so, has made you extremely happy. Priceless. flowers

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 11:53:03

NG* Lucky you. We often hear the owl hooting. I have not seen it. The sparrow hawk has become extremely cheeky. He/she takes time to rest awhile on the terrace. The wee birds know when to keep a very low profile.

corner A lady phoned last night. Two young cats had been trapped, taken to the vet and given anti-bios. They are now back at the barn. Two more traps were set late last night in the hope of further success.
The couple who are feeding the cats are going to take a wee break shortly. We shall step in and put food out for the feline family in their absence.

NannyT Remain upbeat. smile

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 11:54:11

granniequeenie (hugs) x

Panache Thu 29-Aug-19 11:56:17

Indeed never does a day go by than I am thankful for stumbling across Soop`s kitchen,with its varied interesting subjects,queries,advice,humour and pictures, but perhaps even more it is that one place you really can let it rip!!!
Please take this to heart Morethan we may not always find the right words, but knowing you can wander in and out,share your most intimate and troubled times.... being sure they fall on listening,caring ears.This has proved a life line for so many, myself included.It is such a comfort.

I read your post with more than a hint of warinessNannytopsy for after having 2 aborted purchases for our house fairly recently it is the last thing I want for you...............or indeed ourselves again.
However things look more promising and I guess that move is now nearer and you are feeling lots more optimistic............hope the champers is on ice in anticipation!!

Me too Corner I love all things to do with wildlife, be it anim als,birds or all things green and floral!

Weather a little bit "iffy"....but again not much of the wet stuff and plenty of sunshine although now taking on an autumnal tinge.

Lunchtime in our establishment,when we collect and enjoy a natter over our meals.These are pre arranged by a weekly menu where upon we are given a fair choice of three courses,their puddings are usually rather mouth watering!!!

Have yourselves a lovely day my friends.TOYA XX

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 13:18:33

Yay! Brodie has had the snip. The lovely couple who helped to set the traps have been to-ing and fro-ing between the farm and the vet in Lochgilphead. On returning home with Brodie, they discovered another trapped feline. They phoned from Lochgilphead to update us. By now, that should be four out of five cats operated on and given anti-biotics.
We've been asked, do we want Brodie to be released in our garden. We were torn between heart and head. Decided that he should remain on "his patch with his family". We are fully prepared to motor to the farm to feed the cats, and we shall, for as long as we remain here, continue to put extra dry food in the wee chalet. The road along which he occasionally travels is busy. Hopefully, he'll not feel it necessary to take that walk if there is food provided on his own territory.

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 13:19:05

Panache smile (((hugs))) xxx

dragonfly46 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:29:51

Anneliese what a lovely daughter you have. It must be a great comfort to you.
My DD has arranged to be up with us next week when I have my op. It was totally unexpected but very much valued.

Nannytopsy we have our fingers crossed for you.

Panache your place sounds amazing - I am so pleased you are settling and enjoying life there. I am sure your house sale will be completed soon.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:34:58

morethan prayers and love to you all. Please, please lean on us and all who wish they could make a difference although we cannot. Take all help offered. Send bedding to the laundry, online shop etc. Let a neighbour cut the grass etc.

I don’t like febreze at all. I would buy a large bag of bicarbonate of soda, sprinkle, leave for a couple of hours and vacuum. Maybe wash the curtains or just hang them outside?

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 14:32:47

Feelingmyage55 I would never spray Fabreze on to fabric or surfaces. Just a quick squirt into the air, if absolutely necessary

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:09:34

Must we move out of this kitchen- I am so settled.

morethan please, please use us to shout and scream at-

dragonfly the very best of luck for next week- it will soon be all done and dusted.

soop as the nights become colder, I think Brodie will remember the lovely food and the cosy shelter with which he is acquainted. I do hope he returns.

Panache selling the house will be the icing on the cake.

TOYA

Baggs Thu 29-Aug-19 16:16:20

Hello Kitcheners! This afternoon I'm busy making biscuits in the hope that Saturday's weather will not prevent MrBaggs and me from popping in to see soop and macsporran on our way back from an Argyll Bird Club meet near Campbeltown.

Fingers crossed! 🍪🍪🍪

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 16:28:42

Woop! Woop! Message to Baggs...we have a wee store of special choc biscuits put by. Not home-made, I confess. wink

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 16:30:43

Charleyg The wee chalet wouldn't be warm enough for Brodie to live in during the winter months. It's really meant to be used as a dry shelter for the dish of food.

Bellanonna Thu 29-Aug-19 16:53:19

Good news about Brodie, soop. It must have been quite a shock for him though. I do hope he will continue to visit the chalet.
Panache, it sounds as though you are back eating “normal” food again, including mouth-watering puddings. That’s good news indeed. Fingers crossed now for the house sale.

Panache Thu 29-Aug-19 17:23:09

Sadly Bellanonna the truth is I can rarely partake of the menu here although supposedly they cater for my fat free or low fat diet.............however I do manage the odd pud.............well it would be such a shame leaving them go begging now would`nt it??!!
Still it is good seeing my man tuck into a good meal and neither of us have had to lift a finger or do the washing up!!
Perhaps ..............one day...............I can but keep hoping.

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 17:23:55

Bellanonna Have spoken on the phone with the lady who has been kind enough to trap the cats. One remains free for the time being. She'll be feeding Brodie diced cooked chicken this evening (inside his carrying cage), after which, he'll be set free to return to the barn where the feral family live. Tomorrow afternoon, we'll be visiting the farm and getting to know where to leave the rations. Maybe, in due course, Brodie will visit us again. We want what's best for him. The vet said that he'd been in plenty of scraps. Now that he's neutered, he should become much less fierce.

soop Thu 29-Aug-19 17:26:48

Not a bad day. Sunshine together with positive news regarding the felines.

Sending good wishes to all our kitcheners. TOYA. Until tomorrow afternoon, smile moon

Bellanonna Thu 29-Aug-19 17:32:01

I’m glad you are enjoying the occasional pudding, Panache, and pleased to hear your husband is tucking in!
I read your last sentence as hoping one day to do the washing up! Now that would be strange!! Hopefully, though, you will be able, in time, to eat a little bit more and enjoy the three-course meals!

Bellanonna Thu 29-Aug-19 17:33:22

That sounds like a good plan for Brodie, soop!

Baggs Thu 29-Aug-19 17:36:14

"Special choc biscuits" put by sounds good, soop. I'm making crunchy oat cookies and killer chocolate squidgies* (if the recipe works out as expected).

* not brownies, at least brownies aren't the plan 😉

Nannytopsy Thu 29-Aug-19 19:43:07

Good evening all. We have run out of gin. Does that tell you how the moving process is going? Tomorrow the email will announce to our solicitor that if we DONT complete on Tuesday, they will be paying our lost deposit to the removers. Not exchanged yet.

NanaandGrampy Thu 29-Aug-19 20:10:26

Just popping in , tomorrow we set off for the weekend. Amazingly our baby will be 40 on Saturday !!

Sadly, Grampy has been prescribed antibiotics for a gum infection so he cant drink !!I shall be taking up the baton...and will undoubtedly be squiffy !!

I shall return on Monday with tales of daring do and pictures lol !!

Susan56 Thu 29-Aug-19 21:01:42

Just popping in to say TOYA.
We have had a full day of driving,first over the border into North Wales to collect our 3 year old granddaughter and then down to West Wales to see my husbands parents.We have just checked into the travel lodge and as soon as grandpa and Matilda have unpacked the car we will attempt to persuade her that it is way past her bedtime and really is time for sleep.
Will catch up on all the kitchen posts when home at the weekend.💐🥂

merlotgran Thu 29-Aug-19 21:31:16

I loved Tracey's 'St. Shula of the Holy Martyrs' line.

grin

merlotgran Thu 29-Aug-19 21:34:01

Oooh. I'm sorry I'm in the wrong place/posted on the wrong thread.

I'm supposed to be in Ambridge. grin blush

cornergran Thu 29-Aug-19 21:39:06

Evening All. Made it back from visiting our friend. Horrific journey. Nearly 6 hours, at least two too many

I’ve been having a wobble. Seeing how my articulate, clever and ordered friend struggles to express her thoughts hurt me more than I can explain. Physically she is very restricted, easier to accept for some reason. I do wish we were closer, I’ve no idea when I will see her again.

You sound so much more relaxed panache, I’m delighted your husband is able to eat well and you can manage a little at times.

That was quite a trip susan, hope your persuasive powers excelled and all is quiet.

You sound so pleased about the cats soop, time will tell if Brodie will be less jumpy. Hmm, chocolate biscuits sound good. A pack wouldn’t survive unopened here for long. Fingers will be crossed on Saturday for a visit from baggs.

Wishing you a fun weekend n&g, commiserations to grampy, not good timing for sure.

I’m off to bed. Hope a good sleep will settle me. TOYA, take care everyone.

grannyqueenie Thu 29-Aug-19 22:00:23

I thought I’d pop in before we have to move to a new kitchen. Then thought I’d wandered into the wrong place, you had me confused for a moment there merlot, it’s been a long day! 😂

N&G celebrating for 2 now that’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it! Hope poor Grampy feels better soon.
Good luck with bedtime Susan. Hopefully it’ll be easier than it sounds after a long day of travelling and you’re tucked up in bed before too long.

Good news on the cats soop, I do hope Brodie remembers his way back to visit the salubrious cat hotel you’ve provided. NannyTopsy, if ever a woman needs gin it’s in mid house move! What a frustrating time you’re having, hope it ends positively for you. Dd4 has just put her flat in the market, having had a mini makeover in the hallway. A wall had been discoloured with dampness at the beginning of the year. A repair was duly carried out and she was assured all would now be well but just to be certain she’d waited till last month to re- decorate... then a couple of weeks ago there was monsoon type rain and it would seem the repair has not resolved the original problem after all. She is not best pleased! But it’s a lovely flat so hopefully will sell in spite of it all.

Well bedtime for me, sleep well kitchen friends as always toya xx

grannyqueenie Thu 29-Aug-19 22:04:52

corner how sad it must be to see someone you care so much about visibly failing. It must have been hard to walk away not knowing when you’ll see her again and how she may be by then. Sending you a hug x

Galen Thu 29-Aug-19 23:21:43

Nanatopsy
Out of gin!!!🤭😨😡
That’s disaster!
Will you survive until you can restock?

Nannytopsy Fri 30-Aug-19 06:36:15

I found a bottle of cider... 🤪

annsixty Fri 30-Aug-19 07:13:15

My disaster last evening was nearly as bad, no ice!!
The first time in living memory.
I had to force myself to drink without it.
It wasn’t good.
(sorry for flippancy but sometimes we have to be normal)

kittylester Fri 30-Aug-19 07:50:25

Thank goodness, made it before we moved!!

I'm sorry for everyone suffering from major disasters like lack of gin, ice or the required permission to drink. I'm also very sorry for Brodie lacking special, important bits of his person.

morethan, thinking of you and your courage at this awful time. I reiterate what everyone else said. We are here to be used whenever you need us.

Last day of 2 x dgd. I love them to pieces, especially at a distance!!

Please leave clear directions to the new kitchen.

NanaandGrampy Fri 30-Aug-19 08:51:57

Morning all,

No news is good news from Norfolk 😁

Grampys infection is settling down so at least he won’t be in pain while I’m getting squiffy ! Sam has been bathed and groomed and is looking ( and smelling) party ready .

We have gin, AND ice . Quite frankly we’re ready!!

WhTs with the reoccurring mattress posts on GN by the way? There’s. New lengthy one this morning that I was going to make a pithy reply to, then I thought ‘I just can’t be bothered’ !! Am I turning into a grump? 🥴🥴🥴

Anyway, wishing you all a great weekend, and I shall be back in the new kitchen to catch up with you all ( when I have sobered up!) 🥂🥂🥂

grannyqueenie Fri 30-Aug-19 09:01:15

Kitty I love all my grandchildren in the same way as I love posh chocolate, only a wee bit at a time! 😂

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Aug-19 09:17:59

grannyqueenie, your analogy made me giggle, I do totally understand.

I am so behind with kitchen news.

Annsixty I agree about ice, it makes all the difference in a G & T or Vodka & T in my case.

I am battling a plague of what I think are "fruit flies" I detest the little blighters!!!

Wishing you all a peaceful Friday, and look forward to,seeing the new kitchen.

TOYA x

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Aug-19 09:48:55

Merlot I really thought I had "lost it" more so than normal.

I do hope that Brodie is not in any pain and as it is a different patch from yours he will not associate you with temporary pain and misery so will hopefully return.

I have workman beavering away, my car has gone for MOT and servicing- I am waiting for another person to give me an estimate (huge) on something else. Later I may well be lying in a darkened room.

Last night, because of the work, I had to sleep on a single bed and Tara of course wanted to join me. I nearly knocked my knee replacements out when I turned over and hit the wall. She bagged my pillows- not the best night's sleep.

The weather here is gorgeous- hopefully it will stay like that at least until the two fellows have finished work because doors and windows are wide open. My poor neighbours.
TOYA

Synonymous Fri 30-Aug-19 10:13:37

Charleygirl it sounds full on in every way in your home - including Tara! We are in the embryonic stages of something similar and will probably feel like doing what Smokie is doing at the moment - burrowing under the big rug in the hall! Himself is going to "sort him out" and retrieve his slipper which suddenly flew down the passageway! Hope everything gets finished in short order and you are pleased with the outcome, trying to sleep somewhere other than your own bed rarely ends well!
We have an architect drawing up plans based on what we have tried to convey to him and I am really hoping that he has caught the vision - and then some! A tad concerned at the possible price tag as it always is far more than the first estimates. hmm

Synonymous Fri 30-Aug-19 10:15:37

P.S. the weather here is atrocious and I have to get Himself to the surgery! I hope to return soon.........

Feelingmyage55 Fri 30-Aug-19 10:37:33

Hello everyone. I have posted very little as it is the silly season here - well not silly, so much as overwhelming. I have had loads of visitors, family, friends, and friends of friends (popular tourist area). I love to see them all but this week I loved to see them go! I am in fact feeling my age but presume they have not noticed! I should be flattered rather than be grumpy I have decided that sometimes I will need to send all the bedding to a laundry and also pay someone to come in and help me get sorted before they arrive so that I can enjoy the company. I have had a lot of fun but might have to lie in a darkened room next week - oh no I can’t - more lovely family arriving. Could we have a virtual dark, dormitory in the next kitchen for those of us who are worn out, suffering from big bills, have awkward neighbours or just feel older than they are? I am half joking because I have had some wonderful days and fun evenings but will have learn to delegate - if only I knew how plus it is not the done thing here to ask for help. All my visitors are hard working young people who need down time. IDEA - I can hibernate come winter 😁😁😁. I would be so disappointed not to have these special times but must work out how to not be cream crackered (turn the clock back?). All suggestions gratefully received and special cake and wine for the best ideas.
panache. I am sooooo enjoying your posts and delight in your well deserved new home. Was there a vitual housewarming? Should we have one?
annsixty. No ice ☹️ How did you force it down? 💐 for being brave😁
morethan2. You are in my thoughts.
soop. I think febreze is itself a bad smell - shudders.
Thinking of you all and although I don’t post often I catch up most days and am so in awe of you all. Medals to everyone for stoicism, kindness to your families, putting up with poor health, loneliness, sharing, advice and love. 🥇🏆 soop says it all “you are all special people”.

grannyqueenie Fri 30-Aug-19 11:23:58

Feelingmyage I’ve enjoyed our “summer season” here too... but please can you book me a space in that dark dormitory it sounds very relaxing... oh no on 2nd thoughts perhaps not.... I’ll snore and might lose all my lovely kitchen friends!

I have to own up that being in the kitchen this morning is shameless diversionary activity. I should be packing, well I’ve done a bit! We set off tomorrow for a holiday that somehow has become a road trip involving sleeping in 5 different places over 11 days. What started out as relaxed sentimental visit to the Holy Land aka Bonnie Scotland (where the weather sadly doesn’t look too promising) has somehow morphed into something a little different! Hey ho it’ll all be fine and we may even still be married at the end of it!

Sorry to moan, that must sound so ungrateful, I know we are so blessed to have the good health to do it and each other to share it with. It’s small beer indeed compared to the struggles I know many of you have on a daily basis. I’m just frustrated that what I hoped for when I first suggested this holiday hasn’t quite worked out to be the reality.
Right that’s enough now... best get pack to the packing. x

soop Fri 30-Aug-19 13:47:28

Baggs The weather had better improve on today's. It's been piddling down hereabouts.

N&G Have a wow of a time. Take lots of pics.

Nannytopsy Good grief! I had better gat a magnum bottle of gin in readiness for the move to the new kitchen.

soop Fri 30-Aug-19 13:52:29

Susan I'm looking forward to starting the painting on Monday. You will need to private message me your address in due course.

merlotgran So...it's yourself we have to blame for the lack of gin. Ambridge! grin

Doodle Fri 30-Aug-19 13:55:44

Watching the weather forecast last night I gather that much of the North and Scotland are due storms and heavy rain today. We are still basking in the sunshine but thankfully a bit cooler. I find the sun makes me exhausted and I can’t sleep at night. Would be nice if we could just have mellow weather all over 😊

soop Fri 30-Aug-19 13:56:43

ann No ice! Now that really is a buggeration too far. wink

corner flowers and (hugs)

grannyqueenie grin very droll.

soop Fri 30-Aug-19 13:59:54

Doodle I have always loved autumn. My time of the year is about to happen.

Feelingmyage Thank you for a much welcome update. smile

Almost time for me to open the new kitchen. Hang on and I shall find the key.

soop Fri 30-Aug-19 14:00:51

Thank you all for your companionship. You are wonderful peoples. flowers

soop Fri 30-Aug-19 14:01:21

That's it. I shall open our new kitchen. See you soon.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion