Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

annsixty Sun 28-Jul-19 11:45:17

Afternoon tea is also a big favourite of mine.
I think you need more supplies Carillion.

Well it has finally stopped raining here, bucketed down all night and then settled down to “ pour”.
Our lawn has a sunken corner which is now sodden.
I have just been out to get runner beans and got wet feet,trouser bottoms and arms from all the rain on the leaves.

My GD is coming for dinner, she hopes to go back to work tomorrow, we shall see.

I am pleased you have had sterling work from at least one member of the NHS corner and also hope your worry levels will diminish.

News of another former neighbour dying this morning, we know we should expect it as we age but it is still a wake up call to try and live life to the full.

TOYA.

dragonfly46 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:48:48

Soop just noticed the word 'Blether' in the title.
When I was first married I taught in Glasgow having come up from the south. I had to learn a whole new language eg. janitor, jotters etc not to mention the children's names!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:24:32

My goodness this is a busy kitchen today!!!

I am supposedly sorting out my wardrobes, I have completed one shelf, now lying on the bed browsing GN.

It was our 11 yr old GSs birthday celebration yesterday, he had a "tropical theme", all in the garden and it rained and rained!!!!

Fortunately S and DIL had put up 2 enormous marquees so we stayed dry, the children however insisted in playing in the pool in the rain until they were nearly blue?????

Lots of fun for adults and children, came home very late as after the children had retired to play video games in the lounge, the adults cracked open the fizz and sat "blethering".

We got home (by taxi) about 10.30 leaving the "youngsters" to their own devices!!!!

We are having roast pork for dinner, so obviously D and her man are mysteriously able to join us.

Corner it must be very frustrating being so far away from your friend.

Annsixty pleased,your GD is on the mend.

Soop, the more information you can get from "Dr.Google" the better, constan "problems downunder" must be making you feel depressed as well as the pain and discomfort.

Apologise to those who I have missed out,

TOYA ????

P.S. I absolutely love afternoon tea ??

soop Sun 28-Jul-19 12:58:13

May I extend a hugely warm welcome back to our Carillion. Please continue to pamper us with lavish afternoon tea and cake. By George, I feel better for imagining such a treat. smile

First things first...an apology from me for yesterday's mega-moan. It really isn't fair when so many of you lot are dealing with far worse problems. Thank you, corner. I have joined the group that you mentioned in your message. I am feeling less alone and more confident as a result. flowers

Dragonfly I feel that it is unfair to discuss the negative side of Cancer treatments and outcomes. From my personal perspective, I can honestly say that I was diagnosed, duly treated, well cared for, given a realistic "pretend titty" and, apart from a being a tad tired (immediately after surgery) have recovered WELL. I look at my scar and think - good riddance to what was. Hello to the rest of my life. Big (((hugs))) for you.

Greyduster Sun 28-Jul-19 13:02:06

Hello the kitchen! We all have webbed feet here and the water butt looks like an infinity pool again! We keep pouring it on the lawn to make space for the next deluge! I got up at two o’clock feeling sick and generally yucky and I think it is down to the antibiotics I have another day and a half of, since we all had the same for dinner last night and no-one else has any ill effects. However, needs must and we have been gardening between the showers for an hour or so, replanting the trough at the front of the house and filling a few gaps in the rockery.

Maw I had been wondering where you had got to. I’m sorry you have, unsurprisingly, been feeling down. The photo is a lovely reminder of happier times.?

N&G it’s a slippery slope?! DS had his first taste of beer at around the age of twenty months when he picked up his father’s glass and took a mouthful! He then spat out the contents, dropped the glass and wailed horribly! He didn’t foreswear it forever though! As for Legoland, it is GS’s favourite place; they go every year and he developed something of a fixation this year for checking his phone to see the waiting times of the best rides - even when they weren’t there! Glad the boys had a great time!

Carrillion put me down for afternoon tea - I’ve never had one, and that looks delicious!

Corner I hope you had a good night’s sleep and are managing to have a peaceful Sunday in your garden now things sound as if they are on a relatively even keel!?

How are you doing behind the sofa, Charley? Anything we can get you??

To all I have missed, apologies. I have to go and empty the dishwasher. I will look in later.

soop Sun 28-Jul-19 13:07:31

Maw Your Paw was indeed an elegant, handsome man. Forty nine years of shared love and respect. Something to be treasured for always. flowers

N&G The boys are, without doubt, V.I.K. Their personal account of their amazing treat, gladdened my heart. Bless them. grin
What is the new gizmo? When you've mastered it, do share.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 13:46:55

I don’t like to show off about anything I have made - pride comes before a fall - but, inspired by the Nadiya TV prog I have just made the most heavenly ice cream!
Some on the side for you, but be quick, before it melts, even in today’s weather!
500ml of double cream, 1 tin of condensed milk whipped up together to soft peaks. I then folded in about 1/4 of a bag of frozen summer berries (but any soft fruit would do) which I had thawed out overnight in the fridge - the point being, for just a little juice too- and have tipped the whole into a couple of plastic boxes to freeze.
It is amazing!
DD and SIL and Flynn are arriving later today for a couple of days , hope they enjoy it.

soop Sun 28-Jul-19 13:49:37

Flynn is a darling boy. He'll lurve your award winning ice cream.

Charleygirl5 Sun 28-Jul-19 14:07:44

Flynn had better get a move on because I may well have finished it by then. It was scrumptious thanks and naturally I will not put on an ounce of weight.

8maw* you were married to a very handsome young man and you have many happy memories.

Greyd do you charge much for your gardening services? I know the difference between a daffodil and a tulip and can recognise a rose! My mother could recognise every flower known to man- it all passed me by.

Luckily that innocuous thread has gone so I have been hanging out washing.

We appear to have missed the deluges here in NW London- apart I think from the odd trips away to see Cooper and his brother and Brodie, later on, I will not be travelling far.

Those two boys have no idea what a delightful childhood they are having. They have well balanced well brought up parents.

Are Hattie, Sam, Mia and Smokie et al surviving this hot weather? Apologies if I have forgotten any beauties.
TOYA

cornergran Sun 28-Jul-19 14:31:12

Having missed my breakfast croissant (someone who should remain nameless switched on the grill rather than the oven, fortunately the fire service weren't required. its been a very quiet few hours here) afternoon tea is just the thing, thank you Carillion.

I've been out taming the forsythia which will probably mean fewer flowers in the spring but at least it can hold its head up now and doesn't need the tree stake we were unable to buy earlier. Don't ask, its been an interesting day in corner land grin

Those boys are priceless n&g. Two of ours are off to Legoland next week, according to the weather forecast there will be a thunderstorm. Oops.

What did you do this time charley? Not sure where you get the idea that its hot, we're under 20 degrees today which as far as I'm concerned is positively chilly.

I do feel better today, thank you everyone.

Pleased the group seems helpful soop, good to have support from others who understand through experience.

That ice cream sounds delicious, mawb, not sure I should make any, it would disappear far too quickly. You're so right to go with your instinct, I'm sorry its been a difficult time but what a wonderful memory.

Blimey grannyg, that sounds some party with its unexpected swimming pool.

Oh well, can't avoid some indoor jobs now, the ironing from the first washer load seems to have my name on it today. Second nearly done which will definitely be the responsibility of the croissant-killer grin

TOYA

soop Sun 28-Jul-19 15:22:12

corner Since joining the group, I have had an unbelievable amount of support from ladies in the same position. I am very thankful for your good advice. flowers

Nannytopsy Sun 28-Jul-19 15:28:26

Just popped in for afternoon tea grin. Glad to hear some of you have showers - it has been relentless here, ranging from moderate to very heavy and cold too! I am told “my” birds need feeding but I am reluctant to go out there. ?
We have reduced 4 boxes of photos and albums this afternoon - lots have gone in the bin but still many saved. I intend to make a “This is my life” album for each of the children, when I get round to it.
TOYA and keep warm!

Panache Sun 28-Jul-19 15:29:04

Good afternoon my kitchen friends.

Strange as it may seem I hear with some envy of those of you talking about those rainfalls as it seems an era past since we last saw any of the wet stuff!!
Not only are our parks and verges browned off,totally parched, but sadly so are the abundant floral borders,baskets and the rest.

Thoughts go out to those of you facing these many differing "buggerations .......Soop I can quite understand your growing desire and need to get to the bottom of your problems, especially now knowing a certain Surgeon first advocated the use of this special material.After all it your body and sadly you are the one left suffering.
Whilst Maw indeed never easy meeting these special meaningful dates when your beloved, whom shared them, is no more.However thanks for sharing a picture of the special man looking very sauve ........and now onto the next occasion.Well done you.
Ice cream you said...................yes please and make it a double!!!
Corner feeling very much for you having read of your predicament with a very unwell distant friend.Such a problem.However, thankfully, it seems the feared situation has been suitably resolved and you can again have a more peaceful mind.
No more fretting now.
Whilst may those suffering beastly UTI`s clear up and soon.Beastly things.

Although a beautiful sunny day and all the ingredients for a Garage sale were there, it was not a very productive day.The cars passing were many........just a glimpse as they headed off smartly to enjoy any of our nearby beaches!
No one felt like spending!!
However we received a visit by our prospective purchaser if you please.He arrived with his buider and an arborist to give the once over to our property, they arrived on three of the most expensive motor bikes,clad from head to toe in black leather............like a bevy of Hell`s angels!!!
A strange man in that he took full advantage of a good viewing and said practically zilch............yet first thing today the estate Agent was on the phone with a string of questions ................quite frankly we were not too happy.
He had every opportunity yesterday to go through everything with us.None as strange as men, but we are certainly going along ........trying to appease him...... as the last thing we now need is for him to pull out.

We have just availed ourselves of a lovely roast dinner and for the first time I have been able to take my dear man for a wheelchair ride around our new gardens here,I may still be hobbling but it was so good not having to return to the clinic for another leg dressing this day.
So progress indeed and we both enjoyed the fresh air,the pleasant views and a little sunshine to take away our wan cheeks!!!
It is fast becoming our new home.

We are mainly straight indoors now too, though plenty of finishing touches and still a few small things needed to buy.

At least my dear man has seen quite a bit of the latter stages of the Tour de France so is very happy!!

Have yourselves a good day and week...........and may your troubles be few;TOYA and XX to all

soop Sun 28-Jul-19 16:05:55

Panache Many thanks for finding the time to update us lot in spite of having a very full agenda. You really are a marvel. sunshine

I've completed a pile of ironing that almost touched the ceiling that's a "porkie" and I now feel satisfied with the all the efforts I've made to compile as much relevant info' re mesh implants and suchlike. Next step...see our lovely, helpful lady GP on Tuesday.

There was a feline visitor last night. The food was half eaten. I'm guessing that the visitor was the younger black cat. Brodie scoffs the lot.

We've had some rain. The burn sounds a lot more healthy than it did last week.

I have the Sunday paper to read and the magazine that comes with it. Time for a brew but alas, no cupcake as I'm really trying not to indulge in such treats. It's just a phase. wink

TOYA and I look forward to blethering with you all again tomorrow. smile moon

chicken Sun 28-Jul-19 16:33:40

Panache--So glad to hear that you are mobile again and that the leg is healing at last. I do hope that the house sale goes through quickly in spite of the prospective buyer's odd behaviour; there's nowt so queer as folks.

In the last three days, we've had three blue tits fall down the chimney, landing in the wood burner---thankfully unlit---resulting in a frantic little bird scrabbling at the glass trying to get out. On our opening the stove door, the bird zooms out and crashes into the nearest patio window, knocking itself silly, then staggers out and flies off! Maybe it's the same bird each time and this is the bird equivalent of Alton Towers roller coasters!

We've had very little of that lovely wet stuff called rain. The garden is just clinging on with the help of every drop of waste water from kitchen and bathroom. Soon, I'm sure I shall have one arm longer than the other from carrying buckets. Nevertheless, the veg garden is producing well and I picked the first runner beans today, and a huge bagful of climbing French beans too. My friends will be pleased.

Apologies that I don't remember who has posted what, so don't respond individually. It doesn't mean that I don't read everything. I'm still TOYA.

Lins1066 Sun 28-Jul-19 17:07:00

Gosh reading these posts we must be one of the lucky few to have had no rain. It is warm and dry, if windy on the Welsh side of the Bristol Channel coast. I'm glad because the RNLI have organised a Seafest at the harbour. Everyone enjoys it including the holidaymakers.

We are about to have a BBQ and a friend gave me some plums from her garden, so have made a plum crumble. Feel free to have some, fresh custard on the side.
Have a lovely evening everyone.
Glad to hear that you are visiting your GP with plenty of info to hand Soop.

Charleygirl5 Sun 28-Jul-19 17:13:49

Not a sunny but a dry day here with T in the low 20's. I have enjoyed being in the kitchen with the patio doors open. At least the house is getting aired.

I cooked a beautiful spag bol last night and tonight I am going to have to reheat it in my new microwave. Like my new phone, it needs somebody with a degree in technology to work the thing. I was last in the queue for brains I think.

TOYA

annodomini Sun 28-Jul-19 17:19:11

chicken, you would be welcome to the stuff that has been falling on my garden for over 24 hours now. It's still coming straight down. It's quite cool too and I've just fished out a big cardi to warm me up.

Panache, it's good that your leg is healing well enough for you to go out and enjoy the sunshine with your husband. I would need wellies (or webbed feet) if I were to venture out this afternoon. Amused to hear that your purchaser is a biker. I wonder if he is a 'born again' biker. They are middle-aged men who buy big powerful bikes to re-live their younger days. My DS1 is one of them.

Maw, you have made my mouth water. The ice cream sounds deliciously rich and fruity. I don't suppose there is any left now!
TOYA, everyone.

Charleygirl5 Sun 28-Jul-19 17:51:32

anno you were too late, I scoffed the lot, enjoying the sunshine here at present. It is so quiet here in NW London I could be in the middle of the countryside if I was not surrounded by houses.

Panache good the pair of you explored your new garden and better still knowing you do not have to remove a weed or mow!

Galen Sun 28-Jul-19 18:27:47

Lins it’s dry on the Bristol side of the channel as well.

chicken Sun 28-Jul-19 18:32:31

annodomini---if only there was a pipeline to send all that water my way, I'd be very grateful. As it is , I've "borrowed" the recycling bin from the big old abandoned house next door, positioned it next to my veg. garden and tip in all the waste water from the house. It's ideal as, having a hinged lid, it's easy to scoop out a canful and the lid stops the water going green with algae.

Maw-- I'm going to have a go at making that ice cream and I'll try tweaking the recipe as well, using caramel condensed milk with raisins and chopped toasted nuts. Can't wait to try it. Wish I had the cream in the fridge now.

Greyduster Sun 28-Jul-19 18:53:28

Maw we were only talking about ice cream last night so your recipe is timely. It’s sounds a lot easier than faffing around making a custard with eggs and milk before adding the cream and any flavourings. I had to admit yesterday that my ice cream maker has been consigned to the loft. Raised eyebrows from DD as she bought it for meblush! I pleaded lack of cupboard space!

Lins I love plum crumble so yes please, I will have some! Despite early promise I lost every plum but one from my tree this year, and one plum will not get me very far!

I am rather disappointed today to find that we will not be having GS for the day tomorrow; he has has an invitation to go out with a friend and his parents, and of course, we wouldn’t dream of standing in the way of that, but he is going on holiday on Tuesday so we won’t see him for ten days. To be fair they did come over yesterday so I shouldn’t complain. I’m a clingy old bird!

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 18:55:05

Good luck chicken let us know how it goes. I have experimented further and done one batch with cardamom seeds (a la Nadiya) and one with Matcha- dead cool but I think Matcha tastes like fish food ??
I might try an espresso coffee version or lemon curd - so many possibilities!

Nannytopsy Sun 28-Jul-19 19:21:13

Sounds good Maw! If only we weren’t on a low carb diet ?

Synonymous Sun 28-Jul-19 20:52:38

We called into the restaurant to check and they had reserved a table for us and left a message for us on the answer phone but we didn't get it as we were at the morning service, lovely meal anyway. So thanks for the invite to join you for afternoon tea N&G but I think it will have to be just a cup of tea Carillion and maybe a strawberry if there is one. smile We don't seem to be eating as much as we used to and lunch seems to last until breakfast ..... so why don''t the scales show the same trend? If I lose 1/4lb it is a cause for celebration if it stays off for at least three days but not much celebrating happens nowadays! confused hmm

So lovely to hear about the little boys N&G, it made us both chuckle. smile

Glad to hear you got through another 'first' better than you thought you would Maw. Loved the photo, weren't we all so young?! How fast the years speed by. flowers

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion