Gransnet forums

Chat

the heat

(60 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 25-Jul-19 11:56:05

Never was i so glad to get into the supermarket near the chillers and freezers to feel cool and comfy.Not long been back and have put on a old halter neck dress that i wear only indoors, bare feet and no bra, bliss!!! smile

I intend to do nothing for the rest of the day.We are having fresh crusty rolls with pate and salad for tea, no putting the cooker on. I may do some sewing with the fan on full blast, my poor garden is going to have to wait till it cools down then i will get the hosepipe out. What are you doing today in the heat????

MiniMoon Thu 25-Jul-19 12:06:04

I'm loving it! Lunch is a large salad with burgers for DS who visits on Thursdays. Flat iron steak sandwiches for DH and me. I will have to have the grill on, but thankfully, not for long.
This afternoon I will be busy doin nothing, and drinking plenty of cool water.

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 12:08:21

We have two excellent fans, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom - they are wonderful.

It is not s hot here today as we were led to believe it might be. Quite a bit of cloud cover and a gentle breeze - it is good.

tanith Thu 25-Jul-19 12:14:07

I went to the gym early it was bliss but coming outside was like walking into an oven. I’ll pick my daughter up at 3 to drive to my GS where we are treated to dinner and a few hours playtime with my GGD Evie no doubt dangling our feet in her paddling pool.
I need to sort dessert as I do every week I think I’ll just do a fresh fruit platter with melons, strawberries, kiwi etc. Have to pop to the grocery store for fruit but other than that sitting under the ceiling fan with an icy glass of water.

ninathenana Thu 25-Jul-19 12:14:48

Fan on full indoors but am currently sitting under the patio parasol trying to catch the slight sea breeze and have an iced drink to hand.
I too am bra less as I often am indoors, not that you would notice as am only a B cup and am wearing a cotton skirt and vest top not forgetting the pants wink

BlueSapphire Thu 25-Jul-19 12:20:13

Staying in, well away from the sun! Have a nice loose sundress on and sandals, and the fan is going full blast. Intending to sit and read this afternoon. Luckily no ballet class today, as our teacher is on holiday.
My only problem is that I have indoor cats who are not allowed to roam free outside, so cannot open windows in case they make a bid for freedom!
Once the back garden is in shade later this afternoon I will let them out and I shall sit in the shade with a long drink watching them. Luckily they are not very adventurous and just like to sit and watch anything that moves.
Cheese sandwich for lunch and probably cold chicken for tea.

seacliff Thu 25-Jul-19 12:31:12

I found this heavy wet heat quite exhausting, when I try to do anything much, so I'm doing the bare minimum. Just now I have been sitting down the field a bit where there is a nice cool sea breeze, even though we are about 4 miles away.

Now for a cheese and cucumber sandwich, maybe with crisps added. And lots of cold water, I find that most thirst quenching.

DanniRae Thu 25-Jul-19 13:05:58

I am not enjoying the heat and look forward to tomorrow when, I believe, it will be cooler.
Meanwhile I am sitting with a large fan blowing on me, minimal clothes on (sun dress and knickers) and doing as little as possible all day. Salad prepared and new potatoes ready to cook (with a ready made flan) for dinner.

Gonegirl Thu 25-Jul-19 13:11:16

I find I'm ok so long as I sit at my desktop 'puter and just Gransnet read up on interesting stuff. Inside is definitely better than outside. Did manage to water my containers but practically melted.

Gonegirl Thu 25-Jul-19 13:12:36

The nice cool sea breeze sounds lovely seacliff.

Grammaretto Thu 25-Jul-19 13:15:32

It's nice here in the Scottish Borders. max 28C today but there's a gentle breeze. Perfect .....sorry.
I am feeling sorry for you Southerners in the blistering heat.

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 13:17:11

Its due to be 34 degrees but feeling like 37 by 4pm today here.
I'm in for the day.

morethan2 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:18:27

As I often whinge about here I’m not a good sleeper. In this weather it’s a blessing because I did all my housework before 7 today. Then off to aqua aerobics (feeling smugly saintly ?) called into M&S for their crusty French stick for dinner and lost it so no crusty bread for us sad and it’s too hot to go out. Now I will sit in a darkened cool living room with dyson on full blast and watch the rest of ‘The Crown’ I may well finish my book later in the afternoon. Oh the luxury of retirement plus a few days without grandchildren, bliss, bliss

merlotgran Thu 25-Jul-19 13:21:30

I believe Yorkshiremen are hard wired to moan about the heat whilst doing nothing to try and keep cool.

I've managed to prise DH out of his work cords and dark red tucked in shirt. He's now sitting by a fan, in a pair of very light weight shorts (they're actually meant to be swimming trunks!) and a loose fitting shirt.

Lunch was a delicious cheese and melon salad and there's a fridge and freezer stocked up with cold drinks, ice cream and home-made ice lollies.

Guess what, folks? He's still moaning. grin grin]

Cabbie21 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:25:52

Sounds like my DH. Always cords and long sleeved shirt, whatever the weather.

EllanVannin Thu 25-Jul-19 13:28:03

Make sure your " wees " are a pale lemon colour.
Prawns thawing for sandwiches and I have an orange in the 'fridge for afters----it's a large one ! That'll do me.
No going outdoors, curtains closed but still that lovely breeze blowing through now and again. I'm not hot and my skin is cool to the touch but I feel sorry for those working in it or are having to travel .

Septimia Thu 25-Jul-19 13:29:26

The met office is forecasting 30 degrees about 4 o'clock this afternoon, here at the top end of the Pennines. It was 26 in our hallway (with the door open) earlier. We have quite a strong breeze which is helping to make it feel more bearable. Nonetheless, I'm doing stuff all this afternoon and waiting to enjoy the thunderstorm that's supposed to arrive at teatime.

Doodle Thu 25-Jul-19 13:29:28

I’m on holiday. It’s chilly, grey, overcast and might rain ?

joannapiano Thu 25-Jul-19 13:30:01

We have had the central heating on for part of the morning.
(Our boiler was being serviced.)

midgey Thu 25-Jul-19 13:30:16

All curtains drawn here so the house is not too bad. Washing has dried in record time....now have I the strength to wash the dog....Probably not!

Septimia Thu 25-Jul-19 13:31:26

I'm sure that reads wrong - by 'stuff all' I mean 'nothing' grin

Gonegirl Thu 25-Jul-19 13:32:59

merlot managed to stop mine continuing to dig a soakaway this morning. Apparently it was ok because it was in the shade. hmm Got him out of his thick winter shirt and working trousers a couple of days ago. Doing well.

sodapop Thu 25-Jul-19 13:34:11

Where are you Doodle I will join you. 38 degrees here. Too much for me.

giulia Thu 25-Jul-19 13:50:30

One small treat I give myself in the evenings here in Rome (we've been having from 34 to 38 degrees here for days): I buy blueberries, rinse them and then freeze them.
About 15 mins before I sit down to the news on tv in the evening I take a bowl and put in a handful of the frozen berries. When I sit down, they are STARTING to defreeze. I pop one on my tongue at a time and just let them melt in my mouth. Cooling and very healthy.

You can do the same with raspberries, which also freeze well. I sometimes mix the two.

merlotgran Thu 25-Jul-19 13:56:08

Thanks for the tip, giulia. I have just bought some blueberries so in the freezer they will go.

And I might just drop one or two in my 6 o clock G&T. grin