Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, I've paid my entry fee........

(105 Posts)
phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 19:31:59

Evening, and sending good wishes.

This coming Saturday is our local Village Show! (Archers listeners, think Flower & Produce grin)

A few neighbours suggested that I should enter my hanging basket. Despite living in the village for 15 years, I have never entered anything before shock

Mr P made it very clear that he didn't want me to enter it, as he was sure it would be damaged in transit sad

So, with the deadline for entries approaching (Wednesday, 8pm) yesterday afternoon I trundled round to the show secretary's house, paid the fee and submitted my entry form!

I now only have to get it to the village hall.confused

Now, my hanging basket is BIG! 16" across and very heavy!

It has been suggested that the best option would be to hang it from a broom handle and get a couple of strong people to take an end each and carry it, as putting it in a car or van might result in damage.

My neighbours son is a big strong lad and has offered to help, but Mr P is flatly refusing to be on the other end.

I'm pretty determined to get it there, even though I probably don't stand a chance of even getting placed, the whole thing is VERY competitive!

Wish me luck in getting it there, and if I do, a bit more luck in the thing getting the judges approval!

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 19:35:30

Good luck getting there and Good Luck getting the winners
certificate x

trisher Thu 25-Jul-19 19:39:21

You need one of those things they stack milk in at supermarkets. Balance broom handle across the top, secure and hang on basket then push to Show! Would it work with a wheelbarrow or shopping trolley? Good Luck hope you win!

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 19:44:23

Why would it be damaged in a car or van Phoenix ?
Just place it carefully and pack something round it.

FarNorth Thu 25-Jul-19 19:44:53

Why is Mr P so against it? Has he put effort into creating the basket?

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-Jul-19 19:49:44

2 tall lads and broom handle for basket sounds just the ticket Phoenix

You at the front waving a red flag.
MrP bringing up the rear.

Brass Band playing Terry Wogan's and Floral dance?

On the way back Brass Band playing 'We are the champions, ?

phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 19:51:42

Thank you all for the responses!

I planted the basket, Mr P waters all the baskets & tubs every evening, does the feeding and turns the baskets every Sunday.

lemongrove and trisher it's the trailing plants that are the worry, I don't want to end up with my surfinias all crumpled and the helichrysum (sp) bent!

shysal Thu 25-Jul-19 19:54:09

If there are no plants coming out of the bottom of the basket you could balance it on one bucket on top of another upturned one and put in a van or car if you sit beside it.
Let us know when you win and post a pic please. Good luck!

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 19:55:07

No, nothing worse than a bent helichrysium, haha!
If you put the basket on the back seat, it can trail down, you can sit next to it and hold on to it.

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 19:55:36

X posts shysal

Lisagran Thu 25-Jul-19 20:12:54

Ha ha - great post Cherrytree59 - I can see the video now smile

phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 20:13:56

Thank you!

Erm, my car doesn't have a back seatblush

shysal loving your positive "when you win" grin it's highly unlikely,but at least I will have a go!

phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 20:50:25

Cherrytree grin grin

annsixty Thu 25-Jul-19 20:50:59

If you live in a small village I would make the suggestion that in future years the judges visit the baskets in situ on the evening before the show.
Other people may be feeling the same as you and would be very upset if their prize blooms were damaged.

phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 21:22:49

Ooh annsixty that would be regarded as anarchy!

The show even has separate classes, local flowers, (people who live in the parish) open flowers (people who dont) same applied to the vegetable classes!

There is also a statement in the rules that states "All persons exhibiting fruit, flower or vegetables not grown by themselves shall forfeit all claim to prizes and have their conduct publicly exposed" shock

Surprised they don't actually threaten them with the stocks!

Charleygirl5 Thu 25-Jul-19 21:29:30

phoenix is the hot weather affecting you?!!!!

It seems a difficult job to do if Mr.P is being so awkward. Would a "talking to" from me help? I think he is being mean especially as you have paid the fee- you do not want to waste your money.

farview Thu 25-Jul-19 21:40:32

Oh good luck!! Sensing a winner!!!

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 21:43:11

Good luck phoenix

I sometimes think I should enter some craft or jellies in the local show but never have.
The same people do seem to win every year, though!!

phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 21:50:38

Hello Charleygirl! Heaven knows what possessed me to enter, but I have!

Perhaps I should have gone for the 6 cheese scones class, or the "petite flower arrangement in shades of purple, after all there are 190 classes to choose from, but as I don't currently grow any veg, that rules out quite a few grin

Mr P was very anti when I first mentioned that I was considering it, but I had hoped he would come round when I came up with the broom handle option, especially as I already had one person lined up, but no.sad

Anyway, I have a couple of options lined up,so I WILL get it to the hall on time!

Thankfully it's not far, walking distance even, but perhaps a bit tough carrying the damn thing!

Thank you for the offer of giving Mr P a talking to, but I don't think he will be moved on this one!

phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 21:55:43

farview thank you for the vote of confidence, but I've already been told that I might be marked down as the planting isn't even all the way round!

I went for a variety of plants and colours, not symetry!

sodapop Thu 25-Jul-19 22:04:45

Good luck Phoenix made me laugh thinking of your strapping young men with the broom handle and basket. Fingers crossed.

Coolgran65 Thu 25-Jul-19 22:07:38

Your hanging basket is of the 'random and rustic' genre.

'Even all the way round' and 'symetry' is too easy... and without character !!

I think a pp has already mentioned a wheelbarrow. Have you considered this or are your trailing plants too long for a wheelbarrow..

There has to be a way..... wanders off thinking.....

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jul-19 22:08:27

Good luck Phoenix I love cherries idea of Terry Wogan floral dance ‘piping you in’

Coolgran65 Thu 25-Jul-19 22:09:01

Surely a few strapping Sixth Formers on school holidays would be glad to help. Or even be tasked with coming up with a solution smile

Wandering off .... still thinking .....

crazyH Thu 25-Jul-19 22:09:05

Good luck Phoenix .......with brute strength and determination you will get there and you will win. Keep us posted..