Gransnet forums

Chat

1st August - Yorkshire Day

(75 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:24:39

Dusta knaw abaht it? Tha mun celebrant owt fra Yorkshire, knawn near an' far as 'God's Own County'*:

Puddings
Frugality
Dales and Fells (ee, am capped to have such champion memories of these)
Capt. Cook
Guido Fawkes
Dynamo
Judi Dench
David Hockney
Kiki Dee (or Pauline, Mum's hairdresser, before she became famous, Kiki that is, not me Mum)

And everyone on this list:
www.localhistories.org/yorkfam.html

*as is pretty much every county and country {grin]

Feel free to share memories of Yorkshire - good, bad and indifferent.

EllanVannin Wed 31-Jul-19 22:23:21

Sadly,North Yorkshire has taken a battering with all the rain they recently had so nobody there feels like celebrating anything. Peoples homes flooded farmers devastated at all the bales of animal feed saturated. Rivers overflowed and brought walls down with the force of the water making everywhere more vulnerable to flooding.
It's just heartbreaking to see it on the news.

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 22:32:36

Funny you should mention Kiki Dee, her Mum used to work in the millinery dept at Busby’s.
Curd tarts,
Real fish and chips ( the best in the world)
Alan Bennet
Ilkley Moor ( with or without a hat)
Sooty

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 22:35:08

The Bronte family
Parkin
Yorkshire stone cottages

Missfoodlove Wed 31-Jul-19 22:55:50

I have been fortunate enough to live in each riding and also Winifred Holtby's fictitious South Riding.

A superb coastline, beautiful hills, amazing rivers and some of the warmest people I have ever met.

I am lucky to live here still.

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 22:56:50

Joe Cocker. DH always though he was at school with him but then realised it was a different Joe Cocker. grin

Bridlington High School - where I was boarding until my father's posting was changed and we moved to Bucks.

DH says, The blond who was in charge of the waltzer at Thurston's fair! hmm

Coal mining

matson Wed 31-Jul-19 23:01:28

Cup of Yorkshire tea, the moors and beautiful coastline.

Urmstongran Wed 31-Jul-19 23:06:04

‘..’Ow much?’!!

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 23:14:04

It’ll see us out!
Wheer tha’s muck theers brass
Flat caps
Mill chimneys ( the mills themselves pulled down or used as art galleries, usually for David Hockney’s works.) grin
Shipley Glen (going up on the little rail cars)

gillybob Wed 31-Jul-19 23:15:15

Oh jeez I’m married to a Yorkshireman ! Best not start him off. Born and bred in Howarth (Bronte country) .

Walls of Jericho (near Thornton) confused

It were rayt gud it were confused

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 23:20:36

My MiL used to say I was fussy about my children. I was a bit put out until DH told me it meant proud.

annodomini Wed 31-Jul-19 23:21:27

I'm going over there on Friday to celebrate friends' golden wedding. She assures me that the trains are running.
My parents retired to Yorkshire, near Knaresborough and my aunt and uncle lived near Harrogate so I got to know the countryside around there and loved it.

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 23:24:21

Haworth steam railway ( Worth Valley)
Bilberries
Scarborough

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 23:30:52

My Yorkshire MiL would have me in stitches all the time. She was so funny.

I hadn't been married very long when we went to a pub to celebrate her birthday. They were promoting a particular sherry and MiL was very taken with the decorated glasses.

DH decided to buy another round as we were about to leave and asked his mother to pass him her empty glass. He asked her about four times before she turned to me and whispered, 'Eee, I can't. It's in me 'andbag. grin

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 00:02:29

Time for a ( very old) Yorkshire joke.

Tom’s wife passed away, and he thought he would pay for a really lovely headstone. Talking to the stonemason he told him that his wife had been very religious and he would like the inscription, (after her name ) Lord, she was Thine.
The stonemason agreed and said come back in a week.
Tom went back, and was proudly shown the headstone, it read Lord, she was Thin.
That’s no good, raged Tom, you left the E out!
Oh sorry sir, the man said, come back tomorrow.
Tom returned the next day, and the inscription now said
E Lord, she was Thin.
?

seasider Thu 01-Aug-19 00:03:56

I am Yorkshire lass exiled in Lancashire but I will celebrate tomorrow with a cup of Yorkshire tea and a piece of parkin. Just lately people have been saying Guy Fawkes had the right idea.
For a good laugh search u tube for the Hale and Pace sketch about Yorkshire Airways ! Happy Yorkshire Day

BlueSapphire Thu 01-Aug-19 06:36:00

As DH would have said, "The only thing wrong with Yorkshire is that it's not Lancashire!"

Yorksherlass Thu 01-Aug-19 08:18:48

To all Yorkies out there Happy Yorkshire Day xx

sodapop Thu 01-Aug-19 08:50:34

grinlove it Lemongrove.
I'm a Yorkshire lass born and bred so Happy Yorkshire Day to all.
Commiserations to all those communities caught inthe flooding,it looks awful. I hope you get help to put things right.

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 09:28:32

Yorkshire Tea?

I've never understood the concept but it's always my cuppa of choice and I'm a nesh southerner.

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 09:30:56

I want that mug merlot !
Wheer’d tha buy it?

lemongrove Thu 01-Aug-19 09:34:38

Sending a virtual bunch of white roses to all Yorkshire lasses today, ( and lads.)

Flooding is awful, my heart goes out to anyone who has to leave their flooded house at the moment.

12Michael Thu 01-Aug-19 09:35:20

I am up there for 9 days in September staying in a B & B in Harrogate to watch the world Cycling Championships, its a pity that some of the men's elite road race course around Reeth , has been effected by the Floods and Landslides on Settle -Carlisle line as well.
How much as the climate change had to do with the weather to one of the most visited peoples republics in UK.
Mick

12Michael Thu 01-Aug-19 09:36:33

as to food do not forget Yorkshire Curd Tart as well.
Mick

Gagagran Thu 01-Aug-19 09:46:05

Another Yorkshire rose here - in exile on the south coast. Wishing all fellow Tykes a Happy Yorkshire Day!

My late brother-in-law used to go out with Kiki Dee before he emigrated to Australia in 1964. She is always referred to as "Aunty Kiki" by my DGC - even though she wasn't!