Gransnet forums

Chat

Tate Gallery yesterday

(36 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 05-Aug-19 13:11:17

Like many others i was shocked to hear of the awful event which took place involving the 6year old and the 17/18 year old. How ever listening to the world at One today they said that some sort of arguement took place and that the gallery had adult waist high railings on the 10th floor platform. Now i am thinking was the 6year old climbing or attempting to climbe the railings, did the older boy try to grab him and stop him from falling and the whole situation was misconstrude. Or am i wishfully thinking????? What do you think.??

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 13:16:48

Oh I couldn't believe what I was reading travelsafar and felt sick to my stomach thinking about it.

The reports I have read make it seem as though members of the public tried to stop the boy (and detained him?) and that the 17 year old deliberately through the small boy over the barriers. I sincerely hope it was the other way around and that the elder boy was trying to save him.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:25:09

Even testimony from ‘eye witnesses’ seem a bit vague.No doubt it will come out soon (what actually happened) certainly a shocking event though.

EllanVannin Mon 05-Aug-19 13:28:24

Not enough evidence for me to comment on one way or the other. We'll have to wait for the full story. Shocking as it is.

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 13:28:38

Ooopsie…….threw not through

wildswan16 Mon 05-Aug-19 13:30:31

I can't see the point in speculating about what happened when we clearly know nothing about it. This is a matter for the police and authorities.

Whatever the cause, a little boy has been badly hurt and I'm sure we all wish him a safe recovery.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:32:03

At least the little boy is now stable and off the critical list.

Daisymae Mon 05-Aug-19 15:21:36

I think that it's fairly clear what happened but the police will interview and do a thorough investigation, so best leave it to them.

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 15:26:42

Another parent who was there with her small child said the young man had been following them around and she had felt concerned.

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 15:27:18

That's good news, lemongrove

felice Mon 05-Aug-19 16:09:56

When we visited the barriers in the viewing gallery were about shoulder height to me at 5ft 5ins, even my 7 year old DGS, aka spiderman, would have been unable to climb them.

Grammaretto Mon 05-Aug-19 16:13:27

I have a terror of something like that. Like when you see an adult teasing a small child and pretending to drop them but the child squirms and the adult loses their grip. Stuff of nightmares!

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 16:27:38

An eye witness interviewee said the railings were shoulder height not waist height travelsofar
What you mean like a Michael Jackson Grammaretto
A very unusual and puzzling scenario I hope the little lad makes a full recovery but the shock will stay with him for ever I would think and with the mum poor lady, a dreadful and almost unexplainable thing to happen

MawB Mon 05-Aug-19 16:30:06

DD, SIL and little Flynn were among those kept "locked down" for a couple of hours but in the main building.
I too felt sick that such a thing could happen however it happened.
TG the little boy is now said to be stable.

Day6 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:50:10

www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/tate-modern-incident-teenager-arrested-after-child-falls-from-height-at-central-london-gallery-a4205091.html

An horrific account of the incident. That poor mother and all those who witnessed it.

I think a 17 year old male has been charged with attempted murder.

Day6 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:53:22

Sorry arrested not charged, but that might have changed now after investigation.

notentirelyallhere Mon 05-Aug-19 18:15:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nico97 Mon 05-Aug-19 18:21:45

What an appalling post notentirelyallhere. Your name does you proud angry

Riverwalk Mon 05-Aug-19 18:24:28

FFS!

No, you're not entirely all here - I can't believe you've posted that shock

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 18:24:51

I agree with Nico97, an appalling post.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Aug-19 18:34:07

notentirelyallhere how insensitive!!!!

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 18:34:34

Oh dear that’s a huge judgement and really nonsense thing to say notentirelyallthere and is far from helpful
I can only think drugs or severe mental health will be the outcome no one in their right mind would ‘throw’ an unknown child over railings into the unknown unless they were very severely ill or ‘seeing’ things the fact that he didn’t even attempt to escape makes it even more puzzling and points to him being in some altered state I would have thought
Tragic totally tragic that poor family

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 18:35:59

neah You are blaming this terrible act of violence on people who voted to leave the EU?

Seriously?

Your post would be funny if it wasn't so ignorant and insulting.

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 18:36:28

Even if he makes a full physical recovery it is going to have an impact on him and his poor mother for a very long time.

Nico97 Mon 05-Aug-19 18:37:39

If you have a shred of decency notentirelyallhere you would ask for your disgraceful post to be removed.