Gransnet forums

Chat

Stopping saving things for best

(114 Posts)
Rosiebee Mon 05-Aug-19 17:11:46

Sorting out some jewellery to wear on holiday and it made me realise how much I have that is not worn. I have some lovely earrings which until now have been kept for "best". No more!!! I am now wearing my silver and pearl drop earrings, not flashy but quite dramatic. DGD will eventually get everything and so rather than her just rummaging through, I've decided to put aside all the jewellery that means something to me and wear it every day. Also to make little notes to explain to her what's special about each piece. Sometimes we get out my gold charm bracelet which DH started for me in our first year of marriage. She loves to hear about each charm on "our" bracelet. I should write it down. The rest I will box up and pass to a charity shop, but does anyone know if they take earrings? After the holiday, I shall start on my wardrobe. Why shouldn't I wear my embroidered silk jacket every day - well maybe not every day.wink

Willow500 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:19:01

I really need to do this - not with jewellery as I don't wear much but clothes I've bought and put aside 'for best'. We rarely go anywhere that requires best clothes and I find I've grown out of them they've shrunk when I do get them out. The charity shop does well out of me hmm

MawB Mon 05-Aug-19 17:23:16

Excellent intention Rosiebee but it is hard to shake off the habits of our upbringing and keeping things for “best”.
My mum always used to dress smartly for going shopping (à la Janet and John, with her wicker basket over her arm) and once refused point blank to let me accompany her as I was wearing jeans and knee high boots! grin
I would love to follow your example and will be looking out for you in the veg aisle, we will spot each other easily by the diamond earrings and tiara! tcrgrin

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:24:08

I’ve got quite a collection of crystal glasses.

They are lovely but now we use them. The children won’t want them so if they get broken at least we have enjoyed them.

Davida1968 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:29:09

Rosiebee, I couldn't agree more with you. Use things now is my motto. When our DM was widowed (overseas) and moved house, my sister & I saw some beautiful china. It had been a wedding gift (twenty years previously) and was supposedly "kept for best." But despite us both having stayed with DM (several times), neither of us had even seen it!

MiniMoon Mon 05-Aug-19 17:32:11

I decided long ago that I would wear my new clothes and not keep anything for "best" . We don't go out much, just for pub meals and with friends, and you don't need to dress in your finery for those. I try to wear all my jewellery on a sort of rotational basis, even the expensive pieces. Why keep things in a box?

MawB Mon 05-Aug-19 17:34:03

I think I have always had a fear of appearing “overdressed” yet I can admire a person who is beautifully turned out.
Time to make more effort! tcrhmm

Day6 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:38:39

I am guilty of not dressing up unless I have to be somewhere special. I'll wear clothes a couple of days running to get 'the wear out of them' rather than choose a different outfit every day.

I have so much to choose from too. I need a cull of clothes. And yes, my jewellery has to be sorted out too. I only have a few valuable pieces and a lovely gold watch I only wear 'for best' but I should wear more than cheap costume jewellery every day. I am worth it! (Mind you, I do like my beads and big necklaces and earrings - most in colours to match favourite 'every day' tops or jackets, etc.)

janipat Mon 05-Aug-19 17:47:31

I've always liked the quote by Erma Bombeck if I had my time again I would have burnt the pink candle that was sculptured like a rose before it melted while being stored.
It applies to so much in our lives, keeping things for special occasions that are never quite special enough. We're using our crystal glasses inherited from my parents, although our sons would love the whisky tumblers if they survive us smile

Day6 Mon 05-Aug-19 17:50:59

I feel quite sad when I spot beautiful bone china dinner services in charity shops. No one wants them any more but they've been saved over the years for best. The charity shops are also full of cut crystal glasses, decanters, fruit bowls etc.

Times change but lots of these items are in perfect condition. Such a shame they weren't used often before being discarded.

We have some crystal glasses. Sets were given to us over the years as presents or as leaving gifts. They have a bit of sentimental attachment, but we never use them! We prefer tall glasses with thin stems for our wine.

I have decided (because of this thread) to get out my absolutely beautiful bone china tea set. (I bought it second hand.) It is white with a fine green pattern and gold rims. The cups are a lovely fluted bowl shape and the handles beautifully intricate. I didn't want to get any of it broken so it's moved house with us but been put away in the bottom of the dresser. I really do enjoy drinking tea from them. I last used them over 19 years ago, when my Mum was alive and we made a point of having 'afternoon tea' and laughing because we both stuck our little fingers out when drinking from bone china.

I have a task now for this afternoon....

Calendargirl Mon 05-Aug-19 18:01:45

So true. My “best” jewellery sits in the safe most of the time, often because I can’t be bothered to get it out, but also because in my everyday humdrum life I just don’t wear any jewellery! Same with clothes. Today I’ve been to aquacise and swimming, hung washing out, picked tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, sorted out stuff for charity shop which didn’t sell at Saturday’s car boot sale, cooked tea,...... do you get my drift, just don’t need to dress up.???

Rosiebee Mon 05-Aug-19 18:08:16

I don't wear a lot of jewellery, but I do tend to wear the same things each day.

kittylester Mon 05-Aug-19 18:11:01

That could be my post too calendargirl. I prefer to wear the jewellery that dh has given me but I have other stuff in the safe that I should wear. Also, it's a fag to get it out of the safe.

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 18:31:14

We have lovely crystal glasses too but I use ones I bought in Wilkos unless we have visitors, because they go in the dishwasher hmm

And clothes which I kept 'for best' but never wear because they seem a bit old-fashioned or not quite right.

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 18:38:03

I have no jewellery of any value . I wear a wedding ring and a silver necklace at best .

I do have a couple of dresses and jackets that I “ keep for best” . Why on earth ? I don’t know, as I never go anywhere to dress up . I wear the same black trousers and white shirts 5 days a week for work and tend to slob in jeans /cutoffs and tee shirts at the weekend .

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Aug-19 18:39:27

I do wear jewellery . Earings every day ( don’t feel right without them) always wear a necklace when I go to work. Have some expensive jewellery and lots of costume stuff.

I do have some lovely china and glass that doesn’t get used often but love using it when we are all together ( birthdays Christmas etc) when the Royal Albert China comes out and the best wine glasses. Maybe should try and use them even more often. I do think tea tastes better from bone China but don’t think to use it all the time. Silly isn’t it you can’t take it with you!

annep1 Mon 05-Aug-19 18:53:36

I prefer to use my good crockery etc.
I see no point in keeping things in cupboards for years. I don't use my best cutlery though.
I am trying to wear all my clothes more - a bit difficult when you don't go out much.
And if things get worn looking I get the pleasure of buying something new.
I'm a bit fed up of not needing new things!

rockgran Mon 05-Aug-19 18:57:03

I often have a cup of tea from my Mum's wedding china. It is beautiful and very delicate but no one will want it when I'm gone so I like to have that connection with Mum now and then. Also the tea tastes lovely! cafe

sodapop Mon 05-Aug-19 18:59:01

Yes I agree, wear it, use it enjoy it.
When my mother died many years ago now I found all wrapped up in tissue paper the presents I bought her. Nighties, cardigans, jewellery all unused, such a shame.

janipat Mon 05-Aug-19 19:05:21

Callistemon We have lovely crystal glasses too but I use ones I bought in Wilkos unless we have visitors, because they go in the dishwasher I have a feeling this is why there are so many in charity shops, people don't want to wash them by hand. And to be honest, we don't use the wine glasses from the set as often as the tumblers for that very reason. I never had a dishwasher until after all the kids had left home, and it has made me extremely lazy about washing up by hand. blush

janipat Mon 05-Aug-19 19:07:55

sodapop how sad. When my paternal grandmother died it was a very similar situation. Drawers and cupboards full of beautiful linen, china, jewellery all still in its original packaging.

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 19:09:15

I rarely wear earrings and never wear any other jewellery.

I don't need jewellery to look good nor do I keep any clothes for 'best' - that idea went out with the ark.

I wear the items most appropriate for the occasion regardless of cost so it might be Primark, M&S, H&M, black raw silk Versace tuxedo trousers or my fav pencil skirt from VB.
I buy what I love regardless of label.
I'm a shopaholic. ???

MawB Mon 05-Aug-19 19:32:35

I don't need jewellery to look good nor do I keep any clothes for 'best' - that idea went out with the ark
Nobody needs jewellery/high end designer clothes or expensive fabrics to look good. Some women would look stunning in a bin bag (usually younger ones) but what is wrong with enjoying objects of beauty?
But you enjoy being patronising again - however I am glad to see your entire wardrobe does not come from Primark.

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 19:36:20

I think that some people just exude style and could wear almost anything and look amazing . It doesn’t matter what I wear I always look like a “bag of slack” grin

Merseybelle2 Mon 05-Aug-19 20:28:43

Yes I follow gillybob in being a style icon.
People should enjoy what they have, wherever they are in life and squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of each day. I’m sure there are many beautiful and elegant Gransnetters on here and good luck and happiness to you all , along with those of us who don’t give a flying duck about appearances. Each to their own smile