Gransnet forums

Chat

Letterbox flowers

(31 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 05-Aug-19 22:47:47

I have just sent some to my DD for her birthday. Anyone ever done this? I am hoping that the buds will open and she will be happy with them.

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 22:55:06

I've had flowers sent to me from Bloom & Wild through the letterbox and they lasted longer than any I've had from Interflora. The buds are well protected in transit and as soon as they're put in water you can tell they're going to open just as they should.

I was very pleased with them and wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future.

sharon103 Mon 05-Aug-19 22:58:47

I too had some letterbox flowers sent to me for my birthday last year from Bloom & Wild and they were lovely.

paddyann Mon 05-Aug-19 22:59:51

I've been sending monthly bouquets to my MIL from Freddies Flowers.She aske dme to cancel as after 6 deliveries she thought the quality wasn't as good as it should be.I spoke to a young man on the phone an dhe tells me there have been issues with some suppliers but that its now sorted.I had the latest delivery sent to myself to check.The flowers are beautiful a lovely mix and they have really come into their own now in the second week .I would certainly recommend them

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 23:03:35

For a year or so I had flowers delivered from London company Freddie's Flowers.
They arrived by courier on the day they are picked and packed in a box about 3.5ft long with padding and a card suggesting how to arrange them.

They lasted about 3-4 weeks as it took 3-4 days for them to start opening.

Cost was £22 incl delivery but a price rise and the fact that I got a bit tired of seeing the same blooms for almost a month, caused me to stop my subscription.
I now buy from a Tesco superstore or M&S.

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 23:04:51

Haha...crossed post paddyann grin

SilverDarlings12 Mon 05-Aug-19 23:06:38

I always use Bloom and Wild now. Each flower is covered with
a little net to protect them in the box and bouquets are well worth the cost. Slainte.

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 23:10:39

...and you couldn't choose the blooms so they sometimes clashed with furnishings in my sitting room.

BradfordLass72 Tue 06-Aug-19 02:00:50

I'd never heard of this idea but used to send for Guernsey carnations every year for my Mum.

They wouldn't fit through the letterbox but they were absolutely gorgeous every time. Even now, a large bunch costs only £20.

GabriellaG54 How can flowers clash with furnishings? I didn't think flower could clash with anything, whatever their colour.

GabriellaG54 Tue 06-Aug-19 03:22:42

BradfordLass72
I don't like to have yellow flowers, gladioli or lilies indoors and decided that I prefer to choose my own blooms and greenery instead of having someone elses choice.
Having the same flowers for 3-4 weeks was boring and flowers, IMV, shouldn't 'jar' with the room.
I might just want twigs, cow parsley and greenery or a plant.
Flowers are part of the decor.
I wouldn't entertain carnations either.
That is why I almost always buy my own. grin

BlueBelle Tue 06-Aug-19 05:39:08

I used Bloom and Wild for my daughter for the first time this year and unfortunately I wasn’t very impressed so won’t bother again They certainly didn’t look anything like as pretty as the picture on their website

BradfordLass72 Tue 06-Aug-19 05:55:09

GabriellaG54

It all sounds gorgeous ( and very sensible), especially the twigs, probably because twigs are so wonderfully versatile and lend themselves to so many arrangements and decor.

I'm a minimalist at heart and a lovely twisted willow, or any bare branch with just one bloom or a pretty stone, is very much my preferred style.

I wouldn't like carnations now either - academic, you can't seem to get them here - don't like the smell but Mum loved them.

I am very partial to deep purple Irises - mine are just showing through the earth. I shan't bring them indoors, just enjoy them in situ.

LullyDully Tue 06-Aug-19 07:27:38

When I visited Wales as a young girl we boxed up some primroses we picked in the hills and posted the to my mother. My friend's mother helped me pack them carefully with damp cotton wool. Not possible today of course.
I often send commercial flowers by post for birthdays, they are very good.

Daisymae Tue 06-Aug-19 10:01:51

They look their best a few days after delivery, but they are good value and look great too.

Squiffy Tue 06-Aug-19 10:30:22

I've received a couple of plants through the post from from Bloom and Wild and they were/are brilliant.

They come, carefully packaged, as a sort of diy kit, complete with pot and compost. The pot is woven and lined inside so that it can be flattened for posting.

The two year old azalea is still going strong and flowered non-stop! (I did repot it with fresh compost and into a larger pot when it needed it)

Witzend Tue 06-Aug-19 11:15:42

Yes, I had some (1 a month for 3 months) from a dd. They were fine, v carefully packed and lasted well.

GabriellaG54 Tue 06-Aug-19 14:32:41

Thanks for the newsy reply BradfordLass72.
I love your stylistic photos which mirror two of my tastes.

I have one very small flower bed which is bare (at the mo) and lots of full pots. I meant to plant bulbs in the bed but forgot after ordering them so probably can't use them now, instead I will buy some iris bulbs and those tall purple headed pom-pom flower bulbs. I haven't decided on other colours except white.

Mealybug Tue 06-Aug-19 14:37:11

When they first arrive and you open the box, they don't look much but get them in water and watch them open up, they transform into beautiful flowers.

GabriellaG54 Tue 06-Aug-19 14:39:04

Contd...pressed send too soon blush
Blue and white (Muscari?) grape hyacinths are some of the bulbs I forgot to plant so I might bury a few and cross my fingers.
I'm reliant on local nurseries and Google for info as I'm not very knowledgeable re gardening. Plant and pray is more my style. winkgrin

GabriellaG54 Tue 06-Aug-19 14:40:22

14.39 post is to BradfordLass72

Squiffy Tue 06-Aug-19 18:01:39

GabriellaG Just a headsup in case you aren't aware, Muscari have a tendency to run riot!

GabriellaG54 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:16:05

Squiffy
Oh! Thanks for that.
The soil is enclosed with overlappingwood on 2 sides at right angles and a fancy water hyacinth woven 4 inch high 'fence' on the other 2 sides. Only about 7ft square. I keep putting off the planting as I can't make up my mind whether to plant bulbs or buy a bush which keeps some colour in winter. It's a shaded spot.

Desdemona Tue 06-Aug-19 18:20:40

I have used Bloom & Wild a few times and the quality is good. They do little letterbox Xmas trees in December that come with baubles, lights and a pot. I bought myself one and planted it in the garden afterwards

dragonfly46 Tue 06-Aug-19 18:24:43

My daughter has given me letterbox flowers from Bloom and Wild every month for my birthday.

On the whole they are wonderful. If you look after them as instructed they last longer than any flowers I buy in the supermarket and they are different from the normal bunch. As their name suggests they contain some unusual flowers apart from roses.
The only ones I was not too keen on were sent around Christmas and I suspect they were not delivered on time.

Gonegirl Tue 06-Aug-19 18:30:16

I have sent letterbox flowers from Bloom and Wild. She was very pleased with them. Said they were lovely.