Gransnet forums

Chat

'woman' - a change in the definition of the word

(39 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 11-Aug-19 16:14:56

In the new Bill, the definition was changed from “a female of any age” – the definition in the UK Equality Act of 2010, which protects women against sex discrimination – to include a “person who has the protected characteristic of gender reassignment”.

the legislation does “not require an appointing person to ask a candidate to prove whether they meet the definition of woman in the Act”.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/concerns-raised-over-scottish-government-s-definition-of-the-word-woman-1-4981283?fbclid=IwAR02vtyGSWay_S3cC3E7FiPaZ4t6iJZLgmTrhrq_LamWvmjoUxUJQUgk8xw

FarNorth Sun 11-Aug-19 17:17:13

www.scotsman.com/news/politics/concerns-raised-over-scottish-government-s-definition-of-the-word-woman-1-4981283?fbclid=IwAR02vtyGSWay_S3cC3E7FiPaZ4t6iJZLgmTrhrq_LamWvmjoUxUJQUgk8xw

MawB Sun 11-Aug-19 17:26:13

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTYIT8XhrCU

Oh dear do. superannuated civil servants and politicians really have nothing better to do?
Give me this definition any day

NanaandGrampy Sun 11-Aug-19 17:49:36

I love that song Maw .

I wonder how long it will take before the word woman is extinct ☹️

Wheniwasyourage Sun 11-Aug-19 19:49:48

I have just re-read 'The Handmaid's Tale' after many years (didn't see the TV series) and am alarmed to think that the obliteration of women's freedom was given great impetus in that book by computer manipulation of financial affairs. I just wonder if it would be easy enough to do something similar now that we are all so reliant on computers...

BradfordLass72 Mon 12-Aug-19 02:10:55

Why do we say, 'feminist' and 'feminism' ?

We don't say, 'masculinist' or 'masculinism' - we take male rights for granted.

We should be striving for human rights, which would preclude the torturous proving or disproving of gender.

absent Mon 12-Aug-19 07:41:12

*BradfordLass72" We say feminist and feminism because women have struggled and continue to struggle to get a fair share of the cake, among other things. There is no point talking about human rights when men have been able to take seven-eighths of the cake and leave the women with the leftover slice. The women have already been sidelined.

However, human rights also matter – in politics, in war zones, in education and so on. Because human rights matter for all, doesn't mean that women's rights are unimportant.

GabriellaG54 Mon 12-Aug-19 08:59:13

I can't be r- sd with all that nonsense.
Utter tosh.

FarNorth Mon 12-Aug-19 09:47:03

Human rights are tosh, GG54?

Fennel Mon 12-Aug-19 09:49:13

Maw I love that song too.
I sometimes wonder where the word 'woman' comes from.
A man with a womb?

GabriellaG54 Mon 12-Aug-19 10:02:45

I'm talking about umpteen genders, not rights.
Human 'rights' are a recent addition to the plethora of rules, restrictions and gags mainly imposed by the pc brigade.
I don't agree with any of it.
That is soley my choice and I certainly don't criticise anyone else's choice.
Each to their own.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:08:45

Well, if someone has (quote from article) "taken the decision to undergo a process for the purpose of becoming female”, then that person will have to be included as female. You can't have it all ways. Either you accept some people are living the wrong gender, or you don't.

I think what the article mainly illustrates is how easily the Scottish Government can get itself tied up in knots. And they want independence! grin

RosieLeah Mon 12-Aug-19 10:43:43

It's pandering to the minority again. What will happen to 'girl', 'lady', 'lass'...will they be redundant too?

This whole thing about gender is becoming ridiculous. Plus, whatever anyone says, you can't change your gender. You might cut off the superfluous bits and dress in clothes associated with the opposite sex, but genetically, you stay the gender you were born with.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:47:24

Maybe you can't genetically change your gender. But you can, or should, be allowed to live a normal, happy, life in the gender you are sure you should have been assigned to.

GabriellaG54 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:05:14

I doubt anyone is 'assigned' a gender at conception.
Your gender isn't doled out by a jobsworth at a desk in the labour ward.
Unless it's by artificial means, then it's decided when sperm meets egg over which no-one has control.
You are that gender from that moment.
Anything else is fantasy...IMO

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 11:15:25

Yeah, I do know that Gabriella hmm

Surely you know what I meant. hmm again.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 11:16:26

Your gender isn't doled out by a jobsworth at a desk in the labour ward.

Who knew?! shock

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 11:16:39

Got it wrong all these years.

knickas63 Mon 12-Aug-19 11:36:13

There are two genders - and some people are born into the wrong Gender. Not too difficult - happy with that. However - all this 'none binary', 'identifying as' nonsense drives me nuts. The minority shouldn't rule and decide for the majority. I still wish to be identified as a woman using she, her mrs etc. I take each individual as I find them. If I identify as slim - can that please be accepted? Or Rich! I hereby identify as rich.

FarNorth Mon 12-Aug-19 17:45:02

There are two biological sexes.
Whatever 'gender identity' you choose to have, you remain the same sex.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 17:46:40

Words words words. hmm

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 17:47:26

How long do you spend researching this stuff FarNorth?

FarNorth Mon 12-Aug-19 18:30:06

Well, if someone has (quote from article) "taken the decision to undergo a process for the purpose of becoming female”, then that person will have to be included as female.

Taking a decision makes it a fact that everyone else has to accept?
Do you find that usually works? I never have.

FarNorth Mon 12-Aug-19 18:34:11

Words have meanings. Sometimes it's really important to use the right words to avoid confusion.

Trans activism has deliberately caused confusion about the words 'sex' and 'gender'.

Most of this doesn't need much research, Gonegirl, as it's obvious.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 18:44:16

Well, I wouldn't think it's a decision taken lightly.