Gransnet forums

Chat

Grown women saying they’re ‘ a lucky girl’ on social media.

(26 Posts)
Daddima Mon 12-Aug-19 14:16:22

I’ve just read a post on social media by a 60 year old friend thanking her ‘ wonderful hubby’ for her new car. She has a very responsible, well paid job, but has posted a picture of a ( quite ordinary) wee car, and saying thank you to the aforementioned hubby, and ‘ I’m one lucky, lucky, girl’. That in itself is, to me, cringeworthy enough, but it was all the replies agreeing with her and praising the hubby which surprised me.
Am I going further down the road to grumpy old womanhood?

midgey Mon 12-Aug-19 14:17:29

That will be two of us then!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:31:58

Well, yes, me too. All this social media is just so that people can show off, isn't it?
It never ceases to amaze me when people go out for a meal and post a photo of it as though they've never eaten before. Downright silly.

Grandma70s Mon 12-Aug-19 14:43:15

I must say I find the word ‘hubby” cringeworthy!

(I’m feeling a very grumpy old woman today.)

Pantglas1 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:46:49

A car, fair enough. I do think photographing a plate of food, no matter how posh, is naff!

felice Mon 12-Aug-19 14:47:06

A friend of mine insists on calling his wife, his Girlie, they are in their 60s and it just makes me cringe.

sodapop Mon 12-Aug-19 14:49:20

I agree lovebeigecardigans1955 ridiculous showing off. I feel tempted to put something like
" look at the lovely scrubbing brush and bucket hubby bought me " ?

sarahellenwhitney Mon 12-Aug-19 14:58:54

Daddima I 'cringe' for such sad individuals no accounting for whatever floats their boats.

Calendargirl Mon 12-Aug-19 15:24:35

Yes, if it’s not pictures of meals out, it’s the latest nail colour, or pouty airbrushed made up faces of people you struggle to recognise in real life.

shysal Mon 12-Aug-19 15:29:05

I don't do social media, can't stand all the boasting etc., but have to admit that I am guilty of calling my friends 'girls' as in 'meeting the girls for lunch'. blush

Alima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:39:04

Must admit I do refer to our two oldest cats as the girls. They are only 10. Definitely think a mature woman cringeworthy if referred to as a girl. As when they use words like gonna and wanna. Arrested development?

GoodMama Mon 12-Aug-19 15:45:53

This is why I despise and don’t participate in social media. Why is everything that happens to you broadcast worthy?!
Your husband bought you a car, lovely. That’s between the two of you. Tell your friend about it over lunch, gush to your children. But broadcast to the world? I don’t get it.

The “girl” comment doesn’t bother me as much, but it’s all too cutesy for me.

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 15:50:40

I don't see a lot of boasting on my SM so cannot comment on that. I dislike calling women 'girls' and it does make me squirm. I think if DH suddenly went out and bought me a car I would share it on Fb and ask if anyone knew where he got the money to pay for it grin. I call him all sorts of things but absolutely never 'hubby'!

I'm not totally against showing a meal if there is a good reason. Perhaps if you are having your first authentic meal in a country you have not visited before or other reasons why its different but not just to say you are eating out!

Callistemon Mon 12-Aug-19 16:01:12

Girls!!! Listen up!!!

I bought my own car. It needs a good wash so I won't be posting a picture on here.

wink

Bellasnana Mon 12-Aug-19 16:09:00

Yes, you are going down the road to grumpy old womanhood!

Why must everything be seen as negative? Why can’t we just be happy for someone else’s good fortune? Why is it seen as boasting?

Personally, I am happy for my friends and family if they post these sort of things, but there is always the option to keep scrolling if something bothers you.

Oldandverygrey Mon 12-Aug-19 16:11:00

Agreed Bellasnana

Daddima Mon 12-Aug-19 16:14:54

I understand that, Bellasnana, but it’s the praise for ‘ hubby’ I find strange, the boasting doesn’t annoy me as much as much as the gratitude does!

GillT57 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:31:15

I find the word 'hubby' cringeworthy, irrespective of what he has bought.

RosieLeah Mon 12-Aug-19 16:36:40

You only have to watch a few American dramas to see where all this is coming from. Would be nice if it was genuine but it all seems so gratuitous and insincere.

Why some people have to share every moment of their lives with the rest of the world is beyond me.

BBbevan Mon 12-Aug-19 17:04:27

A Stepford wife I expect . Yuk

MissAdventure Mon 12-Aug-19 17:24:55

I'm a grumpy old bat.
I can't stand all the stealth boasting, all the pictures where people look nothing like themselves, all of it.
I hate it, hate it, hate it!

EllanVannin Mon 12-Aug-19 17:32:45

My mum used to call me girl or doll when I was in my 40's. I had no objection.
When I get emails from the work colleagues to meet up we're addressed as " Hi girlies " by whoever sends the mail.

BradfordLass72 Tue 13-Aug-19 03:28:39

Sounds a lot like envy to me smile

Joyfulnanna Tue 13-Aug-19 04:00:19

I'm not envious, I actually pity people who have to boast on social media. I can't tolerate it so I don't use it.

SueH49 Tue 13-Aug-19 05:05:46

I agree with Bellasnana and I see no reason why the husband should not be praised for his gift regardless of what it is.