Gransnet forums

Chat

If you had just bought your old feller some clothes for his holiday from JD Williams...

(113 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:19:34

... (having given up on Marks and Sparks) and they were made in Bangladesh, would you wash them before he wears them?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:20:15

Or just bung 'em in the suitcase?

SueDonim Tue 13-Aug-19 14:24:01

Nope, I wouldn't. I'm not sure why being made in Bangladesh would make any difference.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:28:15

Well, it's a cheap brand isn't it? Huge factories. Maybe stuff would get thrown on the floor.

Or perhaps, I am obviously being totally racist. Obviously. hmm

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:28:51

Very obviously. Obviously.

Alima Tue 13-Aug-19 14:39:17

Where is M&S stuff made nowadays? Only asking. Is JD Williams a cheap brand? If so, wouldn’t wash the new holiday stuff as if liable to shrink the poor old fellow won’t get any wear out of the new stuff at all. Without looking simple that is.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:41:03

Well, this lot was cheap cos it was mostly in the sale.

Wish I hadnt asked now.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:41:15

THREAD CLOSED

SueDonim Tue 13-Aug-19 14:43:57

confused

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 15:00:22

Once opened a thread is open until GNHQ closes it down or it runs out of steam.

I never buy clothes for DH, unless, under his direction I buy some as a present. If he ends up anywhere with insufficient or inappropriate clothes, that is his problem. He is an adult and not a child.

Clothes get dropped on the floor wherever they are made and all along the price spectrum. Even couture clothes sometimes get dropped.

kittylester Tue 13-Aug-19 15:00:24

Well, gonegirl, I wouldn't buy Dh new clothes from any where. He's a grown man and I'd get it all wrong!

mumofmadboys Tue 13-Aug-19 15:07:32

Just pack them, no need to wash them

MissAdventure Tue 13-Aug-19 15:10:39

I'd presume he would wash them himself, if he were that fussy, but I doubt he would be.

Into the suitcase with 'em!

Floradora9 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:13:35

I wash every new garment before it is worn . Sadly I would not get away with buying DH any clothes. DGD asked him one day if what he was wearing was all the clothes he had .

M0nica Tue 13-Aug-19 15:21:12

Never wash clothes before they are worn.

Callistemon Tue 13-Aug-19 15:35:40

DH used to mutter a lot about new garments needing washing before wearing because they contained 'dressing'.
I think 'dressing' went out in about 1930 and I usually ignored him.
Occasionally he asks me to wash something new before he wears it and occasionally I show him the washing machine.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:39:26

Gonegirl

I think you're being a bit precious. The vast majority of M&S clothes M,F & C are made in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka along with China India Hungary etc on the labels.
I buy from M&S and I know that to be the case.

GabriellaG54 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:41:46

...and I never wash new clothes or bedlinen before wearing/using and have never had any skin disease or irritation...ever.

DanniRae Tue 13-Aug-19 15:57:52

I never buy clothes for Mr R unless, as already said, he points something out and says, as he did today, someone can buy that for me for C........s.
I don't get involved when he packs for our holidays either. I might be asked my opinion on which polo shirt/shorts etc to take. This normally involves me making a choice and him saying "Oh really I prefer the other one!" hmm

Bopeep14 Tue 13-Aug-19 16:34:20

I always wash clothes before wear, you never know who has tried them on before you.

Minniemoo Tue 13-Aug-19 16:36:15

I always wash new clothes and towels and bedding etc. Always have done. I drive the family mad. And it's nothing to do with where it's made either. It could have been whipped up in Buckingham Palace by angels, I'd still have to wash it.

Why? No idea

RosieLeah Tue 13-Aug-19 16:40:44

Funny...I buy most of my clothes on-line and most are made in the east but I never thought of washing them before wearing. I suppose they will harbour bacteria, but we are not going to put them in our mouths, are we?

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 16:43:01

My OCD has gone into overdrive, due to the stress of going on holiday. That's all.

I don't think I will wash them.

Calendargirl Tue 13-Aug-19 16:43:16

Never wash new clothes first, wherever they are bought from. If I were to buy something second hand, would wash that.

paddyann Tue 13-Aug-19 16:45:20

I wouldn't even buy socks for my OH ,he's very stylish and image conscious and he loves to spend time and money on the kind of clothes he likes .