Gransnet forums

Chat

It wasn't until I was 70 that ....

(91 Posts)
Marmight Wed 14-Aug-19 19:01:02

I was told that broad beans not only had to be taken out of their cosy furry pods, but had to have their skin removed after cooking. I don't think my Mum knew that either which is why I always loathed them ? Having just spent an age doing just that (practically the length of Bach's Double Violin Concerto which I was listening to at the time) to a small handful of beans, I have come to the conclusion that Life is too Short.
What have you discovered in later life that you never knew before...?

SueDonim Wed 14-Aug-19 19:12:56

M&S sell bags of frozen bread beans, ready prepared. grin

My mum said that broad bean pods would cure veruccas, applied furry side to skin and kept in place with Elastoplast. Thankfully, I've never had a verucca so I didn't have to test out her theory.

Purpledaffodil Wed 14-Aug-19 19:21:03

Interesting Marmight but I have never had them minus their skins apart from once in a dinner party terrine. Thought they were slippery and slimy ? I have a favourite BBQ salad originating I think from Delia which uses fully clothed broad beans with a bacon and tarragon dressing. Delicious and not at all fiddly.?

Calendargirl Wed 14-Aug-19 19:21:55

I don’t remove their skin after cooking.

GabriellaG54 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:39:35

It looks like a mix of broad and butter beans.
Broad beans should look bright green.

GabriellaG54 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:41:25

The skins are horrible and add zero to the look on the plate or enjoyment of eating them, warm or cold.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Aug-19 19:47:41

With or without their skins broad beans are vile. Along with butter beans. And sprouts.

BBbevan Wed 14-Aug-19 19:49:23

My mum never removed the skin and neither do I. It is extra roughage,.Well that's my excuse anyway

jura2 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:52:18

could not believe my eyes when sil asked me to do that - what a waste sad crazy- especially if picked young.

Can't reply yet ;) won't be long.

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 20:39:17

If you have to remove the skin from the individual broad beans then they are too old and only fit for drying.

This is why I only ever eat home-grown broad beans that can be picked, shelled and cooked within minutes of being gathered. It means if the crop fails we skip a year of broad beans.

I would never buy them from a supermarket, by definition they have been picked several days earlier, so they will be all floury and are allowed to grow too big, because they are soldby weight.

BlueBelle Wed 14-Aug-19 20:47:21

I always remove the skins and I love broad beans my favourite veg I don’t mind removing them lovely soft bean in the middle

FarNorth Wed 14-Aug-19 21:36:48

Not being 70 yet, I was hoping for some valuable insights here.
Oh well.

I love broad beans, with their skins on (not the furry ones).

grannyqueenie Wed 14-Aug-19 22:09:16

I love them and have been known to polish off any leftovers cold with a bit of salt and pepper!
Although I know they remove the skins in posh eateries it would never occur to me to do that at home.

Pantglas1 Wed 14-Aug-19 22:31:02

Will let you know.......

mcem Wed 14-Aug-19 22:39:37

Since this thread clearly was not meant to focus on beans I'll add something I learned last year at the age of 70.
This may seem ridiculous to many of you but I had a block about turning the outside tap off/on.
Mentioned this to 18 year-old DGD and she told me to remember Left is Loose and Right is Tight.
It works!!!
How did I get to this age and still struggle with something so simple?

paddyann Wed 14-Aug-19 23:31:20

mcem sometimes I have to put my hand out as if to bless myself ..as in the sign of the cross..thats how I know which hand is my right hand ..its not something new though I've always done it .

GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 01:14:35

Don't know your left hand from your right?
I've never heard of anything so daft.
Truly unbelievable...

Ailsa43 Thu 15-Aug-19 01:22:37

mcem all carpenters, and engineers know the mantra Lefty lucy, Righty tighty..

smile

Hetty58 Thu 15-Aug-19 02:00:20

Gabriella, my friend has dyslexia and has never been sure about left and right. She is not daft at all, though!

BradfordLass72 Thu 15-Aug-19 02:12:53

My neighbour brings me broad beans from his garden and I've never taken the skins off

Neither did my Mum who served them in a white sauce, having bought them from the allotments up the road.

I was 68 before I heard of and knew what a dental dam was.

Someone gave me one, along with a handful of free condoms to pass on to the young people I was working with.
It was a real puzzler, looking at this soft fabric and wondering how it fit round the teeth.
grin

BlueBelle Thu 15-Aug-19 05:52:04

I think the garden broad beans are very different to the supermarket broad beans bradfordlass I never used to skin the ones my dad grew but the supermarket ones which are all I have access to now are very thick and tough if you don’t take them off

BlueBelle Thu 15-Aug-19 05:55:35

I have no idea what a dental dam is never heard of it and further back I always have to imagine ‘writing’ to know which is my right hand if asked directions or told to do something to the right or left .....it must be wonderful to be so perfect gabriella

kittylester Thu 15-Aug-19 06:28:22

Very judgemental, gabriella. DH and DD1 (both highly intelligent) struggle to remember which is left and right.

NanKate Thu 15-Aug-19 07:06:11

Put hands up in front of you with fingers together and thumbs at right angles. The hand on the left looks like the letter L. It works for me. ✋ ?

Newquay Thu 15-Aug-19 07:08:46

Our (clever, professional) DD1 can’t easily tell left from right either. I’ve known a few similar clever folk with the same problem-I agree, I find it strange too!
I love the ways to remember which way to turn things! Clever!