Gransnet forums

Chat

Ponchos

(76 Posts)
Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 21:43:39

Has anyone got a (wool) poncho? Do you find you wear it much? Does it sit well over different clothes? I really fancy one, but not sure how much wear I’d get out of it? Like the one in the pic, but maybe teal or navy?

crazyH Thu 15-Aug-19 21:48:47

Had one years ago ....loved it ..so easy to wear instead of faffing about with sleeves and collars...must get another

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Aug-19 21:49:52

I have a light grey cashmere poncho from The White Company, take it on every holiday, goes with everything, more versatile than a cardigan, first thing in my hand luggage as planes can be chilly.

quizqueen Thu 15-Aug-19 21:54:40

I have a short one which I bought in Etams as a teenager, so it's over 40 years old now and it still looks brand new. I breast fed two babies under it and always take it on holiday with me so I can snuggle under it on a coach trip and go to sleep. I also have two long ones; one I wear occasionally to do the school run and the other is a good thing to wear for a fancy dress outfit as Clint Eastwood!

CanadianGran Thu 15-Aug-19 21:55:34

I don't own one, but admire them when I see them worn. I saw a woman at the grocery store with a cabled one that had a large cowl-neck and just one large button at each side (this was in spring). I thought she looked very fashionable and looked vainly in shops on line to find something similar.

MawB Thu 15-Aug-19 21:59:32

I love them as they will go over anything. I buy mine (yes, got more than one!) from Turtle Doves cashmere and I am fast becoming an addict as I find their colours irresistible.

MawB Thu 15-Aug-19 22:01:03

Canafian Gran what you describe sounds like the Joules Autumn/Winter 2016/17 poncho, was it in either grey or dark blue?

paddyann Thu 15-Aug-19 22:06:03

I had a donegal tweed poncho with matching skirt when I was about 14 ,maybe a bit older.I loved it.I had a much smaller neater bust then not the d cup have now so it sat well .I think I'd look like a tent on legs now

MiniMoon Thu 15-Aug-19 22:10:15

I crocheted a granny square poncho a coup!e of years ago. I don't wear it outside, but I throw it on over my clothes when we are between seasons, and I need an extra layer in the house.

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:11:42

Wow, quizqueen, you have quite a collection! The cashmere ones look lovely, Maw. We have an independent shop nearby that sells Italian linen clothes - I think they might have ponchos too. I just wondered how “ wearable” they were. Wondered if my lower arms would get cold.... I need to go and try one, don’t I?! I’ll let you know if I get one smile. Thanks

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:12:29

Paddyann grin

GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:14:03

I had one when I was 14. Mum knitted it for a surprise and it was on my bed when I arrived home from school.
It was a dark burnt orange in fancy stitches with a fringe round the hem.
Gosh! I can see it now.
Much loved and worn to death.
I do, currently, own two after admiring one a friend was wearing.
Fine wool/cashmere in an asymmetric style in a plain stitch, they have dainty mother of pearl buttons down one shoulder.
One is navy the other dove grey.

GabriellaG54 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:20:09

I beg to differ.
Big busts don't have to look tent-like in ponchos paddyann
I'm a 36GG and my ponchos certainly look just fine on me, not at all like a battleship coming into port.
It all depends on the shape of the bust and the lingerie supporting it. ??

annep1 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:21:59

I love ponchos - on other people. I've tried them on in shops lots of times but not brave enough to wear one. Ridiculous, I know. Having read these posts I think I might buy an aran one for winter.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 15-Aug-19 22:22:25

Love ponchos. I currently have 3. Light weight short one. Heavy wool (fabric), my daughter made and one that comes almost to my knees. M+S used to do some really unusual ones. My big one is from Long Tall Sally.

Wear them all year round. The light weight ones always on the back of a dining chair.

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:24:50

Yes, grey would be a good neutral colour.

Anniebach Thu 15-Aug-19 22:26:44

Love ponchos, have worn them for years, no trying to stuff sweater sleeves into a jacket.

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:30:36

Anniebach - yes, they do sound as if they’d be easy to pull on, rather than faffing, as you say. I only want a lightweight one, though - not keen on heavy woollens

Marydoll Thu 15-Aug-19 22:33:09

I have three cashmere ponchos, purchased in Rome, bought one a year over the last three years.: Cerise pink, baby pink and pale blue.
I intended to buy a camel shade and a black one, if my GP gives me the go ahead to go at the begining of September.

You would be surprised at how little I paid for them!
As you can probably guess, I enjoy wearing them! ?

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:42:57

They sound lovely, Marydoll smile. Hope you can get to Italy to buy more. I’ve just seen a pale pink one online (what, on a mission, me.
? grin ), but I’m sure it’s not a good idea to wear a poncho over a wide dress like this - not very flattering?

Anniebach Thu 15-Aug-19 22:50:41

I think they look great with jeans

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:52:01

Yes I agree Annie - that’s what I’d wear one with. Can’t wait to go shopping now grin

MissAdventure Thu 15-Aug-19 22:53:24

I've got three.
I like my crocheted one best as it has pompoms on the bottom.

Lisagran Thu 15-Aug-19 22:55:31

Yes I’m quite taken with the Pom Pom look MissAdventure. Oh, I’m enjoying this thread - I felt quite fed up earlier smile

Lilypops Thu 15-Aug-19 23:02:41

Lids gran , I have the same poncho in the photo you posted in a lovely apple green from White Stuff, I love it with jeans when it's a bit chilly and I don't want a cardi or fleece,