Gransnet forums

Chat

New bag less Tesco delivery rant

(44 Posts)
Artdecogran Thu 22-Aug-19 12:03:44

Well I’ve just had my first and last bagless Tesco delivery, what a palaver. It is supposed to be saving the environment but as the paper bags and plastic bags are all recyclable anyway I can only see it as a profit making exercise for Tesco’s. I find standing difficult but had to stand at front door holding on to my walking stick with one hand and holding an old carrier bag and trying to pick things out of the plastic crate with the other. The driver was holding up the crate so I could get at the items easier. Well no thanks Tesco it was a complete shambles, you have lost me as a customer. Whoever thought up this stupid idea should be made to stand in the corner and think about what an idiot he is.

Maggiemaybe Thu 22-Aug-19 12:13:47

The driver should have brought the crates into the house for you, Artdecogran, that's so thoughtless.

You can opt to have the groceries delivered in bags when you check out online. They do charge for each one, but if you then give them back empty they refund that amount.

Too late for this particular delivery though.

Anniebach Thu 22-Aug-19 12:16:18

They emailed me to explain no more bags but the delivery man will carry the green crate into your kitchen

Artdecogran Thu 22-Aug-19 12:30:46

Maggiemaybe, you can’t opt for bags any longer, and I don’t want someone I don’t know walking through my house. I think you will find it is Ocado who charge and refund because Tesco never have.

Maggiemaybe Thu 22-Aug-19 12:32:19

You're right, Annie, on both counts. I hadn't heard about the change. Apparently it's bagless deliveries only from this week.

And yes, the delivery driver is supposed to help.

Our delivery drivers will be happy to take your shopping straight into your kitchen, so you won’t need to unpack your groceries on your own. Or, if you’d prefer to receive your shopping at the front door, our drivers can help you put your shopping into any bags you have already.

I'd get in touch with them if I were you, Artdecogran.

SueDonim Thu 22-Aug-19 12:36:33

I have bagless deliveries from Tesco. They take the crates into the kitchen and unload them onto the table or wherever I want them.

My dd was ill one time and the delivery man climbed up four flights of stairs to her flat and then put away her shopping in the cupboards and fridge for her!

Don't condemn them because they got it wrong once. Tell Tesco and give them a chance to put it right.

Gonegirl Thu 22-Aug-19 12:40:01

Go over to Ocado. It's a myth they are more expensive. They come round to my kitchen door and put the carriers on the table. Carriers are charged at 5p and refunded off of next weeks's delivery. Drivers are all so lovely too. Never get a grumpy one. Always smiley.

Tesco are being rubbish with that scheme.

dragonfly46 Thu 22-Aug-19 12:52:04

Ocado also get the goods straight from the warehouse unlike Tesco who give you goods which have already been on the shop floor.

Maggiemaybe Thu 22-Aug-19 12:56:32

I find they're all much of a muchness, so I use whichever I have vouchers for at the time. Sainsburys this week (£12 off a £70 shop). I'm a supermarket tart.

ninathenana Thu 22-Aug-19 13:03:06

I understand your caution regarding strangers and of course sadly we have to think of these things but I think on this occasion you need to be a little more trusting. Tesco will have checked out anyone doing home deliveries and the drivers are there to help.
I've just had two strangers in my kitchen who came to look at my broken washing machine. Not meant to sound critical but how do you cope with workmen ?

SueDonim Thu 22-Aug-19 13:07:50

Agreed, Ninathenana. I've just had the most enormous bloke traipsing in and out of my house, to service the boiler. He was in more danger than me as he had an allergic reaction to my cats! blush

BlueBelle Thu 22-Aug-19 13:24:14

Ocado don’t operate in my area so not everyone can use them I don’t have deliveries but I d just let the guy take them to the kitchen no different to having any workman into your house You have to have some trust Sometimes you have to have a plumber or electrician in you wouldn’t leave them, outside
My Dad used to have Wiltshire Farm dinners a fortnights worth at a time the delivery man used to take them through to the kitchen and put them in the freezer for him Most people in the world are kind

annsixty Thu 22-Aug-19 13:30:43

Sainbury's here and the driver always takes it to the kitchen for me and together we unpack onto counter tops.Never had a problem.

kathsue Thu 22-Aug-19 14:07:53

I get my groceries delivered from Asda and they've just gone bagless as well. Some of the drivers offer to bring it in to the kitchen but I've got a narrow hallway with an awkward turn . I worry that carrying those big trays through would result in chipped paintwork (its just been painted) so I struggle unloading at the front door.

Pittcity Thu 22-Aug-19 15:10:08

I always get the driver to bring the boxes into the kitchen and help unpack.
You could get them to transfer the stuff into your own bags or shopping trolley at the door.
Whatever happened to those handled boxes that Sainsbury's used to have for self scanning? They would've been ideal.

TwiceAsNice Thu 22-Aug-19 16:18:18

Love Ocado. Drivers bring shopping in to kitchen. Always cheerful . I also like the warehouse system no iffy dates etc. I think they are excellent

callgirl1 Thu 22-Aug-19 17:07:20

The Tesco delivery men always bring the crates into the kitchen for me. The only part of being bagless that I don`t like is that I no longer get free bin liners and cat litter tray liners!

Nandalot Thu 22-Aug-19 19:09:21

Exactly, Callgirl, that’s what we do with ours.
I hate to say it but we have several crates delivered weekly for the 5 of us and there will be 2 more of us from Sept! How long will it take for individual items to be taken out from them? We used to unload very quickly with the bags.

Deedaa Thu 22-Aug-19 20:40:43

DS delivers for Tesco and as far as I know he takes the crates in for people who need it.

CaroDane Thu 22-Aug-19 21:27:20

Gosh!
I was thinking of trying a Tesco home delivery but I don't think I'll bother now after reading this thread.
My daughter says they make a lot of silly substitutions as well which really annoy her.

SueDonim Thu 22-Aug-19 21:40:51

Our Tesco delivery drivers will leave the crates with you if you ask, and collect them next time. You need storage for them, obviously, but if you've the space, then that's one solution.

callgirl1 Thu 22-Aug-19 23:15:32

Our Tesco delivery men are great!

Teacheranne Fri 23-Aug-19 01:07:45

I use Tescos and rarely have substitutions anymore. The delivery men also warn me if any goods have short use by dates and I can refuse to accept them.

I don't think they fill delivery orders in the stores anymore, it's a long time since I've seen the trollies in the shops.

GabriellaG54 Fri 23-Aug-19 02:37:58

Be grateful for home delivery. Whatever did you do before that method of shopping was introduced. It's so easy for people to become accustomed to something then start finding fault with it.
Surely that's an ungrateful attitude.
You want it delivered and you can't stand by the door for long but you don't want the driver to assist by taking your shopping into your kitchen.
You moan about overuse of plastic but you prefer home deliveries in plastic bags as you don't like the driver entering your home.
You want home deliveries but not store-picked items...preferring warehouse pick n pack.
If you did your own shopping it would be in store.
How about a smile and a thank you and being grateful that the service exists?

Plumcushion Fri 23-Aug-19 05:23:40

Hear, hear, Gabriella.