Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris manspreading!!

(139 Posts)
Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 15:53:28

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/22/emmanuel-macron-backs-month-of-talks-to-agree-brexit-deal

Is this a good look? Feet on the coffee table?

Callistemon Sat 24-Aug-19 20:42:25

I think I'd look happy if I was in Biarritz grin

Minniemoo Sat 24-Aug-19 17:54:56

Very good, trisher. Made me smile. I love a good riposte.

trisher Sat 24-Aug-19 17:48:04

Oh but that's just a photo Minniemoo you don't know the back story grin

Minniemoo Sat 24-Aug-19 17:44:58

Well judging by the photos from the G Summit they all look very happy. There's a picture of Angela Merkel beaming at Boris. Alongside a jovial Macron.

Quite unusual to see such happy faces. They tend to look as if they've all been sucking lemons as a rule.

Callistemon Sat 24-Aug-19 17:35:26

too thick to understand what happened
grin

I think most people know now what happened, even those who aren't keen on Boris, unless they really, really hate Boris in which case they will never get it.
It was a joke.

Some of the media didn't get it.

POGS Sat 24-Aug-19 17:06:49

Lessismore.
"What a strange person you are POGs."
----

Thank you I will take that as a complement.

I am reminded of a post you made to Anniebach recently. :-

Lessismore Wed 21-Aug-19 15:13:05

The thing is Annie, we get it, you can't stand him. You have given some reasons why. It's done now.

You are clearly an intelligent and capable person, turn your thoughts and energies elsewhere.

Maybe time to practice what you preach.

Lessismore Sat 24-Aug-19 17:04:29

Really? I'm sorry about the dressing gown, its so hot. The room needs a dust too.

POGS Sat 24-Aug-19 17:01:14

Lessismore

Yes.

Lessismore Sat 24-Aug-19 16:55:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

trisher Sat 24-Aug-19 16:45:22

It's a picture of our PM in an undignified pose POGS. He's supposed to be a representative of our country, he's supposed to be a statesman, he's supposed to be a diplomat. Not an overgrown schoolboy who puts his feet up because someone suggests it. You can't escape the image whatever the back story. It was a mistake. It was stupid- but that's Boris.

POGS Sat 24-Aug-19 16:19:24

Lessismore

"no, this was a thread set up because I clicked on the Guardian and saw a picture. How on earth do you know what's going on in other peoples heads?"
-

Because you saw a picture you made an assumption without finding out what the back story was, the facts, therefore you made the assumption that suited your opinion which was to have a go at individual you dislike. That is how it is easy to understand what is in other peoples heads.

When the facts don't matter, the context is of no importance or even when the context is made clear the facts known they carry on because the object was never the photo it was hate for the individual.

If a picture of the kind in question arouses the heckles and causes such vitriol then sorry I think it says it all.

POGS Sat 24-Aug-19 15:58:37

Lessismore

"POGS, dear lordy a milkshake....really?"
----

Explain please?

MawB Sat 24-Aug-19 15:48:36

I’m very grateful to be filled in with the backstory (or context) of said photograph, but can’t think why it had to be explained so many times

Sadly atqui, based on the pages of posts (even allowing for those rivalling War and Peace) there are many who still take it at face value or a justification for strong opinions one way or another.

lemongrove Sat 24-Aug-19 15:44:52

MawB ......I think you may have to explain this non story to a few GNers on here.....they still haven’t ‘got it’ even though they pretend they have.They fondly imagine it’s a set up by Macron, what nonsense.

Atqui Sat 24-Aug-19 15:28:16

Although I have to confess I did skip one or two mini dissertations

Atqui Sat 24-Aug-19 15:20:11

Hmm, I think it’s more likely that many people cba to read the whole thread!

trisher Sat 24-Aug-19 15:11:56

It's because those who cannot accept criticism of Boris continue to believe that anyone who regards the photo situation as a major gaffe is too thick to understand what happened. The concept that regardless of the back-story the position was not a dignified one for a PM is so unacceptable to them.

Atqui Sat 24-Aug-19 15:00:42

I’m very grateful to be filled in with the backstory (or context) of said photograph, but can’t think why it had to be explained so many timesconfused

Lessismore Sat 24-Aug-19 13:54:04

Also POGS, dear lordy a milkshake....really?

Lessismore Sat 24-Aug-19 13:52:05

This was a thread set up to attack an individual who is disliked hoping to gain likewise opinions of that person's behaviour. Which inevitably it did

er no, this was a thread set up because I clicked on the Guardian and saw a picture. How on earth do you know what's going on in other peoples heads?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Aug-19 12:15:13

Ah! I can add to the accusations of rudeness.

Some of the things said to or about the following people

Putin: Dobby the house elf
Erdogan: wankerer.
Various US presidents: crossed eyed a Texan, part Keynian, would avoid NY for fear of seeing Trump
Hilary Clinton: sadistic nurse
The French: turds
Papua New Guinea: cannibalism, chief killing
People of the Congo: watermelon smiles

GN has a long way to go to catch up with Johnson. And of course the many lies for which he has been sacked and disgraced.

trisher Sat 24-Aug-19 11:59:13

Oh *POGS! There is nothing new in a story or photo being twisted, taken out of context , there is nothing knew in the name calling of particular individuals, there is nothing knew in the kangaroo court / band wagon style of ' don't let facts get in your way' , there is nothing knew full stop
Howmany times has this been done by the Corbyn bashers on GN.?
Boris has a history of doing stupid things and he keeps getting caught doing them.

railman Sat 24-Aug-19 11:55:38

I think one issue that both May and Johnson have taken on themselves, is the tried and trusted 'divide and conquer' rule - irrespective of how statesmanlike or boorish their behaviours.

Like May, Johnson's little trip to Berlin and Paris, was and is just another example of that - clearly trying to persuade the larger economies to influence - or in management speak, to bully the smaller economies.

I rather doubt that this tactic will work in the long run.

railman Sat 24-Aug-19 11:33:46

Tillybelle - Having read through all 5 pages of these posts now, I think each of your comments was on the nail, and I agree entirely with what you say.

We too are saddened and - yes occasionally morose - about what has and is happening to debate and conversations in the UK. But, reading up on the facts and evidence - of which there is plenty now - shows just how little we were kept informed before 2016 by our politicians and the media in particular.

There seems now so much to do, and so little time to do it. The idea that ' a new deal' or even a revision of the already agreed deal can be done in the next few weeks seems far fetched.

The OP did seem to result in a very black & white view of what Boris' clumsy response in full view of the press could be taken to mean, or how his behaviour reflected on the entire country. In some ways it reminded me of that ludicrous claim about the EU forcing us to have straight bananas, or not being able to run steam trains, because coal would be banned!

Ah well, I wonder what will happen if UK train drivers on freight trains through the Channel Tunnel are required to stop and change crews at Folkestone, because their licences are not recognised at the other end of the tunnel. (Yes, there is or was a concern about that!)

Thanks for your interesting posts.

POGS Sat 24-Aug-19 11:31:57

It's a very simple really.

This was a thread set up to attack an individual who is disliked hoping to gain likewise opinions of that person's behaviour. Which inevitably it did.

The fact is the joke is on those who chose to see what the Guardian newspaper had printed to use as it's own attempt to belittle the individual. The ' CONTEXT' as always didn't matter, the facts only get in the way when it gives some people the opportunity to attack that individual.

The photo was neither here nor here really it was the starting gun, the apparatus for those who attack the individual at every opportunity to vent their opinions which they did vociferously :-

Loutish behaviour
Disgusting rude, arrogant, uncouth.
A Turd of the first order
Rude, juvenile
A liar, cheat, philanderer, entitled, old boys network buffoon, a complete prat.
Narcissistic oaf.
Silly dupe.
Boorish, ill-behaved,Ghastly man.
Boorish and uncouth.
Extremely rude, and a disgrace to Britain,
A prat
lA lout

There is nothing new in a story or photo being twisted, taken out of context , there is nothing knew in the name calling of particular individuals, there is nothing knew in the kangaroo court / band wagon style of ' don't let facts get in your way' , there is nothing knew full stop.

It's the same old, same old tried and tested ploy to discredit individuals that have become hated by many but dear lord a bloody footstool, ' really'!