Gransnet forums

Chat

Woke up uglier than yesterday

(144 Posts)
CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 08:18:18

I've woken up today with a huge spot on my nose AT MY AGE!
Haven't had a spot for about fifty five years at least so I'm aghast.
It's about the size of Mount Vesuvius and bright red. I have a funeral to go to this afternoon and will now look even worse than usual.
I've got used to waking up with a face like a creased paper bag that lasts most of the day, but this is awful.
What a pity funeral clothes don't still include veils like they did when I was a child!

Urmstongran Fri 23-Aug-19 08:23:19

Cheer up. It shows you’re youthful enough to still have hormones to spare!

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 08:33:57

Wondering now if I've been stung by something during the night.
OH insists on having the window open all night so going to bed is like an outdoor camping experience. Except the bedroom door slams every time he gets up for the loo.
Think the last time I saw a hormone was 1997 smile

dragonfly46 Fri 23-Aug-19 08:39:43

Retribution from DH for all you said about him yesterday ?

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 08:44:10

dragonfly46 you cruel hussy, little old moi? Everyone who knows me knows I'm famous for never speaking a bad word about anybody grin

MiniMoon Fri 23-Aug-19 09:22:00

It's no worse than having to go to a wedding with a large wart on your bottom lip!
I was waiting surgery to have it removed, and my nephew 's wedding was coming up.
I went, nobody mentioned it. I look awful in the photos though.
I don't suppose anyone at the funeral will bother about a spot on your nose.

EllanVannin Fri 23-Aug-19 09:44:20

Sounds more like a bite to me-------trying not to laugh.

crazyH Fri 23-Aug-19 09:47:54

Caro.....you're funny ?

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 09:50:02

Golly spot cream is so expensive! Last time I bought any it cost about 7s 6d.
One of my neighbours has just told me to put a bit of bicarb paste on it but I'm not sure how that will mix with my Creme Puff.

Lessismore Fri 23-Aug-19 09:51:13

Please don't put a biscuit on your face, it won't help.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 23-Aug-19 09:53:57

I read somewhere that models put toothpaste on spots to 'bring them out.' I tried it once but it was a bit vicious.
Could you gently and cleanly lance it so it doesn't look so angry?
Hope the funeral goes all right.

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 09:54:19

Lessismore grin

gillybob Fri 23-Aug-19 09:56:48

Well I wake up uglier every day, spots or no spots !

Just a thought though ..... why not paint spots all over the rest of your face and pretend to have a contagious lurgy ? Just for fun like ? grin

KatyK Fri 23-Aug-19 09:57:30

It's no fun is it? I'm 70 and about 5 years ago I started to get a spotty face. My nose in particular is a gathering place for them. Twice in the past couple of weeks I have had huge ones on my nose. I find that as I get older, things that I need disappear - hair, teeth - and things that I don't need appear - spots, rashes, lumps, bumps, warts. sad

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 09:57:53

I can't lance it, it's one of those spots like solid rock. Rodin could carve The Thinker out of this one.

Mind you I'm sure OH (Great Dane) would enjoy stabbing me in the face with a hot needle.
Must keep him away from this moby in case he reads it and it gives him ideas.

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 10:08:16

gillybob I find now there are so few contemporaries left that where I am everyone who's breathing and has an hour to spare gets press ganged into attending funerals just to make up the numbers.
The promise of a paste sandwich and a glass of white is usually enough incentive for Great Dane and I.

However in the case of the one this afternoon, I actually don't know the cause of death. If I took your advice and paint spots all over my face I might find out the deceased died of measles and then we'd have to up sticks and move.
Alternatively we could be driven out by an ugly mob with sticks like in Beauty and the Beast. You wouldn't want that on your conscience would you? You do have to think through the consequences of giving advice more carefully!!!

GrandmaSoSew Fri 23-Aug-19 10:12:21

At least a spot will go (eventually). I have been blessed with a huge nose and Dumboeske (good word?) ears all my life. At 66 I am coming to terms with the fact that your ears and nose carry on growing all your life (and after death probably). I shall have to be cremated or my nose will gradually work its way up and out and scare the children. What with the whiskers, open pores, hair sprouting out of every orifice, etc maintenance is becoming a full time job. Hurrah for retirement. I dye my hair bright colours (often by accident) and wear stupid clothes to detract from my face - I'm hoping it works ????

polnan Fri 23-Aug-19 10:14:55

dragonfly46!

Candelle Fri 23-Aug-19 10:20:11

Am old.... and still have the odd spot, here and there.

Try using neat tea tree oil - but only for a day or three as it is quite strong. It shrinks spots quite quickly. Not quickly enough for your funeral, 'though! Sorry!

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 10:21:41

GrandSoSew what a dreadful predicament ! You've made me feel better already.

We're having woodland burials (preferably after we're dead) as Gt Dane has expressed his desire to be wee'd on by wildlife.

Lessismore Fri 23-Aug-19 10:21:59

Don't slip a paste sandwich in your pocket for later. It won't end well.

DanniRae Fri 23-Aug-19 10:23:22

GrandmaSoSew - smilesmile

CaroDane Fri 23-Aug-19 10:37:22

Lessismore am sure you're right!!

We once had a terrible smell in the car (not an unusual occurrence due to Gt Dane's flatulence problems).
We tried everything. Leaving the windows open, wiping the seats, a little air freshener shaped like a sun with a smiley face dangling from the mirror. It still stank.

Gt Dane swore he'd thoroughly cleaned the car.
Of course when I investigated the cause didn't require the services of Sherlock Holmes.

Rotting sausages from the butchers jammed under the front passenger seat where they'd fallen out a shopping bag.

annifrance Fri 23-Aug-19 10:37:58

It's called geriatric acne!

Boots eucalyptus and witch hazel or tee tree spot wand is very effective.

Nanna58 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:44:15

Geriatric acne ? yea gods life just gets more and more cruel!!