Gransnet forums

Chat

That's not me in the mirror

(47 Posts)
Peonyrose Sat 24-Aug-19 08:00:35

I try to make the most of myself, but this growing old is rapidly escalating. I hardly know my face now. I look in the mirror to apply make up, give a nice smile at my reflection, then when the smile switches off, an extra wrinkle has appeared, more white hairs are coming through, neck needs surgery, too scared? so that's out, although not a fan of junk food and i don't eat too much, my waist keeps growing it will soon be the size of my hips. I used to be slim and attractive with a lovely set of teeth which I am now trying to hold on to with the help of crowns and fillings, soon it won't be me any more. I will go out one day and no one will recognise me. I have noticed people calling me dear, dearie and sweatheart, soon they will be crossing me across the road when I don't want to go. That's got that of my chest, just off to make myself presentable.?

Lona Sat 24-Aug-19 08:05:16

I could have written that word for word Peonyrose. In fact people haven't recognised me for a few years now.
Thank goodness for small mercies grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 24-Aug-19 08:06:38

We are all ageing all the time but when you get past 60 it's like someone has put their foot on the ageing accelerator.

I just try to do my best and try to avoid unnecessary damage by not staying out in the sun.

There's still a jowly old hag looking at me in the mirror.

sodapop Sat 24-Aug-19 08:23:13

I think its the same for all of us as we get older. In our heads we are still thirty something but then the mirror tells us differently. Maybe someone could invent a mirror which reflects what is in our heads.

supernannyjane Sat 24-Aug-19 08:31:01

I realised I was getting old when Jamie Oliver started looking middle aged and jowly....

Diane227 Sat 24-Aug-19 08:36:28

The long mirror in my bathroom makes me look slimmer while the wardrobe mirror makes me look small and fat.
I wonder which one is right.
As if I didnt know. LOL

Maggiemaybe Sat 24-Aug-19 08:49:01

Having the right mirror is so important, Diane227. Get rid of the other one. smile

JoyBloggs Sat 24-Aug-19 08:50:13

Someone has replaced all our mirrors with artists' impressions of me when I'm really ancient...

Nortsat46 Sat 24-Aug-19 09:01:34

We had family visiting and were listening to old albums, specifically the Rolling Stones (one of my favourites).
I popped to the loo, still singing along to the songs, glanced in the mirror and thought 'Who is she ?'.
I think the music took me back to my 20's and my older face was quite a surprise...

Coolgran65 Sat 24-Aug-19 09:01:38

My hair is stil good. Strong and thick a modern cut. The rest of me has gone to pieces.

In the last year skin tags have appeared on my neck and shoulders, so many. My waist has grown so look pregnant. (Awful meds’ side effect). My legs have blue veins so it’s only trousers or maxi dresses.

And what as happened to my feet, ankles a bit puffy and thread veins on top. Pretty sandals don’t look the same. Couldn’t wear them anyway now because arthritis dictates comfort so it’s Clark’s with Velcro , Hotter and Reiker.
smile

Grannybags Sat 24-Aug-19 09:14:18

I don't recognise myself at all. I thought when you get old you just develop a few wrinkles, I didn't realise your faces changes completely! Even my ears look old now...confused

I was watching my husband walking towards me yesterday and I suddenly realised he looks like an old man! When did that happen?

KatyK Sat 24-Aug-19 09:56:21

Same here. I'm 70 now. Lost my teeth, lost my hair, I have a spotty, blotchy face, not many wrinkles fortunately, about half a stone overweight. I have learned, however, to be good at camouflage. False teeth, false hair, concealer, foundation. It's no fun is it?

Teetime Sat 24-Aug-19 09:59:03

I think its not about trying to hold on to our look but making the best of what we have now with good grooming e.g. regular hairdo a bit of slap here and there and dressing comfortably but well- that's my aim she says sitting here in her egg stained dressing gown.

Katyj Sat 24-Aug-19 10:09:15

Oh I know it's very depressing.I've just been to buy new glasses, those mirrors! Not only did I not recognise myself,but a caught a look at my upper arms all I saw was crepeiness and flab.I couldn't wait to get home.

shysal Sat 24-Aug-19 10:23:54

It's not me in the mirror , it is my mother!
I hate having my photo taken because in them I look even worse than the mirror image.

sodapop Sat 24-Aug-19 10:48:47

Now I know what's happened JoyBloggs

JoyBloggs Sat 24-Aug-19 14:59:36

soda grin

lemongrove Sat 24-Aug-19 15:54:56

Ah well.....we’re still here, and that’s what counts!?
I am trying to train myself out of going ‘ooph’ when sinking onto a chair or getting up again.

shysal Sat 24-Aug-19 16:01:46

That isn't the only sound emitted when I get up out of a chair! blush
Oh the joys of getting older!

Purpledaffodil Sat 24-Aug-19 16:07:03

Friend who I recommended GN to had a look and thought people really nasty. Political threads? I hope she finds this one. So comforting. ?

Oldandverygrey Sat 24-Aug-19 16:07:17

I was no raving beauty when I was younger, now I have reached a certain age I feel quite content with my looks such as they are. Losing four stone in weight has helped!

CaroDane Sun 25-Aug-19 12:29:29

Oldandverygrey Wow! How did you manage that?
My bingo wings are so bad I look like I'm wearing a bat sleeved jumper when I'm undressed.

Oldandverygrey Sun 25-Aug-19 13:28:24

Took myself in hand last year and joined SW, way to go. I still have bingo wings alas, but its all part of me.

CaroDane Sun 25-Aug-19 14:33:24

You are amazing! Well done you smile

mrsmopp Sun 25-Aug-19 14:38:21

My face is OK but my neck is creased and needs ironing.
I hate wearing scarves.