Gransnet forums

Chat

What are your facilities like ?

(174 Posts)
NanKate Mon 26-Aug-19 14:53:26

I was reading in the paper today that many people buying houses today want a number of bathrooms/showers/loos.

We have a bathroom and added a shower room some years ago but we would still like a downstairs loo but there isn’t any room.

My Nan’s facilities were at the bottom of the garden and it had 2 seats ?

gillybob Mon 26-Aug-19 14:54:49

I live in a 2 bedroom town house and have 3 loos . Crazy I know but I can go to the loo whichever floor I am on.

Septimia Mon 26-Aug-19 14:59:53

I grew up in a house with no bathroom and an outside loo. Somehow we managed!

It's useful to have a loo in addition to the bathroom in case it's needed when the bathroom is occupied, but I don't understand the need for so many bathrooms. You see 2 bedroomed flats advertised for sale with a family bathroom and an en-suite - while the living room is like a postage stamp. I'd rather have more living space.

And if you have multiple bathrooms, someone has to clean them....

tanith Mon 26-Aug-19 15:18:30

Two bedrooms one bathroom, I would like a downstairs loo but no room. I think a family bathroom and an en-suite isn’t over the top.

eazybee Mon 26-Aug-19 15:29:07

I have a bathroom, shower room (ensuite) and a downstairs loo. Wish I had had them when the children were small, but it was good when there were three of us at home.

dragonfly46 Mon 26-Aug-19 15:33:36

I am afraid we have one main bathroom with bath and separate shower and two ensuite shower rooms. We also have a downstairs toilet. I have to buy an awful lot of toilet cleaner when the family come and stay!!!

KatyK Mon 26-Aug-19 15:34:57

One bathroom, with loo, sink, bath and walk in shower.

Fennel Mon 26-Aug-19 15:39:20

NanKate grin I remember 'facilities' like that, in the pit villages here.
Last year we bought an ex-council house in the same area. It has one lavatory upstairs, between the bedrooms. And downstairs a roomy shower room/ toilet. Beautifully tiled etc.
If I was younger I would miss a bath, but it's ideal for us oldies.

Charleygirl5 Mon 26-Aug-19 15:47:26

I have a three bedroom house with a bathroom upstairs and a separate loo downstairs. I had to have the bath taken out upstairs and a shower fitted

When helping a friend to house hunt 5 years ago we saw a new 2 bedroom flat each with an ensuite which meant any visitors would have to walk into a bedroom to use the loo. Not ideal I would have thought.

Ellianne Mon 26-Aug-19 15:52:20

I've just diwnsized from a 4 toilet house to a one bathroom property with the only loo in it. I am not happy. First job is to create a second toilet room and maybe include a shower.

kittylester Mon 26-Aug-19 16:21:27

When I was growing up (to age 13) we had an outside loo (very clean but with dozens of spiders and no light) about 20 yards away up the hill!

In our current house we have a downstairs shower room - the shower rarely used but the loo is often in use.

We have a family bathroom with bath but no shower and an en suite in the main guest bedroom. Our bedroom has a shower cubicle and hand basin.

Oldandverygrey Mon 26-Aug-19 16:36:35

In order for us to have a downstairs cloakroom we downsized from a 4 bed to a 2 bed, much better arrangement

harrigran Mon 26-Aug-19 16:37:15

We have a guest bathroom with bath and shower and an en suite which is bigger than the other bathroom.
Would have liked a downstairs cloakroom but it was not possible.

crazyH Mon 26-Aug-19 16:39:40

Downstairs cloakroom is a must as we get older. Better still, a bungalow with everything 'downstairs'.

callgirl1 Mon 26-Aug-19 16:45:38

3 bedroom house, one bathroom downstairs, converted to a wet room, which also houses the toilet. I have a walk in cupboard in my bedroom which I would love to have made into a toilet, but expect the cost would be too high for me.

paddyann Mon 26-Aug-19 16:57:56

5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms,hopefully not for much longer as we've been trying to downsize .Found the right house and had an offer accepted then the owner sold it to someone else ,the thought of going through the buying/selling process again is not a happy one .I do want to move though so I'll start again after a wee break .

Cabbie21 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:14:44

We moved to this house five years ago, after living in a five bedroomed house, with only an upstairs bathroom and separate loo. We decided not to knock them into one, as it was useful to have a separate loo, there being just the one.

Here, we have upstairs bathroom with shower over bath, washbasin and loo all in one. Downstairs there is a loo and shower, though as yet, we don’t tend to use the shower. It is not totally level access, if ever one of us could not get over the threshold, but is very useful.
Why is it,though, that whichever loo I go to, the seat has been left up?

blossom14 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:16:00

We have one bathroom on the first floor with loo, basin and over bath shower. On the top floor is a converted loft room with hand basin and small immersion heater ( conversion done early 80's). Now have room for downstairs loo under stairs but it would need all meters and trip switches moved to an outside cupboard and sewage connected so have no idea of cost and disruption so keep putting off making a decision.

Davida1968 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:18:01

Two bedrooms and two bathrooms (one bathroom is en suite). I say "bathrooms" but there isn't a bath in either; both have showers, which was our choice.

Juno56 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:22:22

Four bedroom house. Bathroom with bath, separate shower cubicle, basin, bidet and lavatory, ensuite with shower, basin and lavatory and downstairs cloakroom with lavatory and basin.

NanKate Mon 26-Aug-19 17:40:09

Fennel my grandparents lived in an area of coal mining in the Black Country, perhaps they all had outside loos except the owner of the Pits.

Kitty you could run a Guest House with ALL your facilities !

grandMattie Mon 26-Aug-19 17:44:06

Downsized from a 5 bed house with 2 bathrooms/loos to a 3 bed with 1 en-suite and one up one down loo/shower. like it a lot!

eilyann Mon 26-Aug-19 17:44:36

As Davida two bedrooms , 2 shower rooms with toilets etc. I think it was Michael Caine who said the secret of a happy marriage was separate bathrooms! Before we downsized we had 1 bathroom, 2 ensuite shower rooms and two downstairs loos! Yes = lots of toilet cleaner!

sodapop Mon 26-Aug-19 17:47:42

Well some people are very well equipped in the facilities area, that's all I can say.

I would love to have a downstairs lavatory and utility room, sadly we have neither the space or the cash.sad

Loulou798 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:50:29

Well be moving to a bungalow when my husband retires. At the moment we are in a three bed semi with a loo, shower and basin upstairs plus an additional loo upstairs. Made the decision to have an extra loo rather than a bath and it was invaluable while the two boys were still here.
Looking at bungalows, most have one bathroom and it has an over bath shower. We would take the bath out and replace it with a walk-in shower. If there was room to install a second loo somewhere, we would.