Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(61 Posts)
12Michael Thu 29-Aug-19 06:14:12

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry after some overnight rain, but you have morning mist.
Usual bus trips out to Buckingham and Bicester , later this morning.
I leave around 10 ish but return around 1630 due limited bus link between Brackley and Buckingham.
Mick

Susan56 Thu 29-Aug-19 06:38:41

Good morning Mick and everyone to follow.An early start for us today in cloudy Shropshire.
We are going down to West Wales for a couple of days to see mu husbands parents but first a trip over the border into North Wales to collect our granddaughter who is coming with us.It is going to be a long day with a lot of driving but it’s a lovely route,very beautiful countryside with a couple of stops for breakfast and lunch.
Have a good day everyone.

Beechnut Thu 29-Aug-19 06:52:51

Good Morning everyone.
Misty this morning on Severnside. I can’t see over the river.

If possible I ought to mow the lawn as it hasn’t been done for weeks. I also want to go and see a friend before she has an operation.

I hope you all enjoy your trips, adventures and anything else you get up to today ?

NanKate Thu 29-Aug-19 07:20:25

Morning Mick and All.

Cooler sunny day in South Bucks.

Off for a couple of days to our oldest friends’ 50th Wedding Anniversary, so in preparation yesterday I had my hair done which I thought looked rather nice then I went on to a small Nail Bar for a manicure. The manicurist, as they do, asked what I was up to that day and then added ‘are you going off to have your hair done now’ ? . To avoid her embarrassment at being told I had been done I just said ‘I’ve got it sorted’.

Nortsat46 Thu 29-Aug-19 07:20:27

Good morning Mick and all who follow.
I just strayed onto one of the Brexit threads, which made rather unpleasant reading and reminded me why I always come to this thread.
I am very interested in politics but not in reading some of the unpleasant exchanges on GN and in other places.
I enjoy the gentle exchanges here and learning of peoples plans for the day.

It's sunny in East London, but fresher than previous days. We need to do something about our garden, it's like 'the day of the triffids'
Have a good day all and good thoughts to those facing challenges ...

Brunette10 Thu 29-Aug-19 07:21:43

Good Morning to all and to those who follow. It's quite bright here in Fife today, I hope the rain stays away. Have builders for next four days working outside on our patio area so don't want them 'rained-off'. DGS2 was very good yesterday at the teaching of ' ugh ugh' when he goes to touch something, all good fun wink. Hope everyone has a good day.

BlueSapphire Thu 29-Aug-19 07:21:49

Good morning all from a dry Northampton although it was torrential rain when I went to bed. Still quiet here as DGDs are still asleep, so I am enjoying a cup of tea in the peace. They have requested sausage butties for breakfast.

DS will be coming down to pick them up later, and he will have a look in the garage to see if there's anything he wants before it either goes in the skip or gets disposed of elsewhere. The skip has already been raided! Two very old bikes have disappeared, also a very old portable gas fire and a camping stove that hadn't seen the light of day for 35 years. I shall not put anything else in now until just before collection next week. Unfortunately they will not take late DH's old wetsuit and diving gear as it is made of rubber - but they will take the miles of electrical cable that he had hoarded and multiple plugs etc and about 20 tubes of bathroom sealant....

Dentist this afternoon to have a crown removed, which I am not looking forward to, but has to be done.

Hoping that all have a good day.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 29-Aug-19 07:22:25

Good morning from east London, no mist here, bright and blue outside. Helping out at foodbank this morning, then over to East Ham to join DP looking after GD (DD on long shift today). Then again, no kitchen today so we need to go somewhere. I managed to clear GD’s bedroom floor yesterday after the chaos of her party and was very chuffed when she started to help me and said how nice it was to see it tidy. I refrained from making any comment. Have a good day.

Marydoll Thu 29-Aug-19 07:27:10

Good morning all from Glasgow. It's a funny sort of a morning. It's obviously been raining overnight, but the sun is trying to peak through. I can't work out whether to put the washing out or not. ?

Susan, I wish you a safe journey, I'm sure you will have a great time with your granddaughter and family.
I remember driving around Wales lost, looking for Portmeirion. The scenery was indeed lovely, it was just a very LONG journey.

I have an emergency dental appointment this morning on the insistence of my GP and RA and Osteoporosis consultants, as I'm due an Alendronate infusion when I return from Rome. (If I get, that is).
It's as if I have to undergo a series of trials to get on holiday! I'm scraping through by the skin of my teeth, if you pardon the pun. grin
My mouth is in a bit of a mess, with mouth ulcers and sore gums, a side effect of three of my drugs. sad They don't know which one is the culprit, but are adamant I need to persevere.
They just want to check nothing sinister is going on.
I absolutely HATE going to the dentist!
You will be glad to know, it has not curtailed my ability to talk, much to DH's, (a very taciturn man) disappointment.

W have a nursery pick up this afternoon, so I will get a boost on seeing my wee DGD.

Marydoll Thu 29-Aug-19 07:29:34

Blue Sapphire, I feel for you. I have had a few crowns removed. However, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.
Best wishes. [flowers}

NannyJan53 Thu 29-Aug-19 07:32:42

Good Morning from a Black Country with bright blues skies and very sunny! Albeit there is a slight nip in the air when I took DP to train station at 7.00am

Meeting up with DD, 2 DGD's and Mum for lunch in the village DD lives.

Norstat I sometime read the political threads, but do not comment as there are some really nasty comments.

NanKate I am sure your hair looked lovely, and she was just making conversation smile . I remember when my DD was younger and we would be shopping, she would pick out an item and say this is nice. I would say 'do you think so'? Yes, she says ' for you'! not megrin

Wishing you all a lovely day.

cornergran Thu 29-Aug-19 07:32:57

Morning Mick, morning All from a cloudy corner of Suffolk. We’ve had a couple of days visiting a friend who is in hospital 6 weeks on from a brain bleed. We last saw her in the first week and while delighted to see progress it hurts to see what she has lost. It’s scary how life can change in an instant. Very sad to be leaving her, not sure when we can next travel back. Off home after breakfast. Hope Thursday is kind to everyone.

Sar53 Thu 29-Aug-19 07:34:16

Good morning everyone from a grey Essex by the sea. I think the sun is trying to get through the cloud.
We are off for a trip to Eastbourne today, DH is taking an old colleague out to lunch before he retires, colleague not husband, and I am going along for the ride. I'll have a mooch around the shops and a walk along the beach before he collects me for the long ride home.

MawB Thu 29-Aug-19 07:38:34

Good morning all and a hug for being brave Bluesapphire
Teeth are Nature’s bad joke to me. They hurt when they come through, they can cost you a fortune and sadly the Tooth Fairy doesn’t come to you any more just when a few quid might come in handy!
Much cooler today , for which relief much thanks.
Off to London to have lunch with Dd’s Godmother whom we met when we first moved to Tooting in 1974. Lovely woman, she has recently had surgery for ovarian cancer and chemo which will continue every 3 weeks until March apparently.
Wishing you all a pleasant day!
(And a sticker for Bluesapphire)

gillybob Thu 29-Aug-19 07:47:32

Good morning from a very dull North East coast although we are due a little sunny interval later on.

Just reading about your garage clear out BlueSapphire I wonder if you’ve though about Freecycle? I have put loads of stuff on there over the years and everything has gone to a new home to be recycled and reused. This last month alone I have given away everything from bags of sand and paving slabs to a vacuum cleaner, gardening tools and a patio umbrella . All very gratefully accepted too. Okay so it’s a bit time consuming waiting for collection etc. but very much worth it and better than going to the tip .

Speaking of crowns being removed I have a crown holding a bridge that has been niggling on and off for a few months. Dentist says it probably needs to be removed but will mean breaking the bridge which is right at the front of my mouth. I don’t know what I will do with three teeth missing at the front? I’m bloomin’ ugly enough without being toothless as well .

Just enjoying my cuppa then off to “that place” in about 45 minutes . I’ve got a lot to fit in today with it being a short week.

Enjoy your scenic trip Susan and enjoy spending time with your DGD too. I hope your trip to the dentist goes okay Marydoll I wonder have you tried Corsydyl mouth rinse? It takes a lot to shut me up too and like you I hate the dentist, especially after my lovely dentist of 30 years retired and new people took over.

Anyway whatever you are doing, wherever you are, hope you have a good Thursday x

kittylester Thu 29-Aug-19 07:49:34

Morning all from a slightly soggy North Leicestershire.

Bit of shopping and then some games with dgds whilst trying to follow the news!

NanKate Thu 29-Aug-19 07:49:52

Thanks for your kind words NannyJan. We will be in your neck if the woods. Going to Coughton Court today then onto to FarmStay for 2 nights. The WA Do tomorrow is in Bromsgrove. It will be lovely to meet up with a number of old friends. Four of us met at Secretarial College on the 1960s, happy days. ?

NanKate Thu 29-Aug-19 07:50:32

Morning Kitty.

aggie Thu 29-Aug-19 08:02:00

Good Morning all , looks like we had a lot of rain in the night , but dry now , got my case packed for a weeks visit to DD3 , have been told the GDs are eagerly awaiting my visit , hope I live up to expectations .
My visit incudes a trip to buy an ipad ! All my lot are tec whizzes . Then a craft day with some of DDs friends , think she has exaggerated my crochet abilities
since starting to use Chrome on the laptop ,I (as you can probably see) have lost my spell checker , I keep forgetting to ask eldest GS to fix it

Grammaretto Thu 29-Aug-19 08:05:06

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Looking decidedly autumnal. I'm home from my hols which were magic. Every time we go to Ireland some Irish magic happens.
The hardest part was the drive in darkness home from the ferry terminal. DH didn't feel up to it since he's been on the new drugs. However when I was lost in roadworks and had been around a roundabout three times somewhere near Glasgow, I remembered I have sat nav on my phone and the Google lady guided us.
Marydoll I waved. Good luck with the labours of Hercules. I hope you get away.
NanKate grin sorry to laugh. I'm sure your hair looks lovely.

Pantglas1 Thu 29-Aug-19 08:09:02

Morning everyone from a cloudy Spain- my friends will be quite pleased as they’ve struggled a little with the heat. More shopping today and that’s after two markets already since arriving!

Lunch with friends and a quieter evening in as they leave tomorrow and I don’t want to share them!

A good day to all.

Lins1066 Thu 29-Aug-19 08:10:13

Good Morning from a dry and bright S Welsh coast.
Will take DS's little spaniel for a walk later, she loves walking along the prom and watching the world go by when we stop for a coffee, as do we.
Cleared a load of ironing yesterday so I'm feeling very virtuous.
Wishing all a very good day.

dragonfly46 Thu 29-Aug-19 08:12:52

Good morning the sun is now shining in Leicestershire but a much better temperature.
Bathroom fitters coming later today so having a lie in - maybe because the schools are back.
Going to see Mum today as not sure when I will be able to go and see her next.

Urmstongran Thu 29-Aug-19 08:14:49

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s promising another glorious day. I shall go for my swim in an hour when Cesar, the gardener, unlocks the doors to the gardens. He does such a fantastic job.

He was showing me a plant yesterday, bearing fruit after 4 years - a passion fruit! He told me he’d brought a cutting over after visiting extended family in Uruguay. He said the climate in Spain has similarities but different and he was delighted to see small fist sized fruit growing!

BlueSapphire you’re doing an amazing job. Please rethink about not putting any more of your stuff into the skip? I love that your unwanted items could be of use to others. Recycling on a personal scale!

Hope Thursday (where is this week going?) is good to us all whether we have plans or (like me) none. x

harrigran Thu 29-Aug-19 08:14:59

Good morning from a dull NE.
We have men coming to clean all the gutters and upvc, long overdue.
Eye test yesterday was interesting, along with retinal photography I had a scan which shows in detail whether there is any macula degeneration and also the state of the optic nerve. The optician says everything was fine but I am developing cataracts.
Went out to dinner last night, a little bistro with a French type menu, limited choice but very good. Should have held back on the tarte au citron with tiny lemon meringues, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.
It was the most beautiful night when we returned home, absolutely clear sky and the stars were amazing.