Gransnet forums

Chat

Naming a house

(79 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 30-Aug-19 13:46:02

Moving to a very small square boring 1960’s bungalow. Just for a laugh and because I can do what I like now I thought I would transform it into a cottage inside. Lots of wood, chintz and pink (have 3 sons so always been masculine colours) flowers, crotcheted blankets and lace. But I want a name to match. I have thought of Cuckoo Cottage as I’m heading that way. What would you call a cottage if you had one?

J52 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:52:23

I have a cottage that was first owned by a Miss Snowdrop. DH would agree to meaning it Snowdrop Cottage, so it just has a number.

J52 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:52:56

Naming* don’t know where meaning came from!

J52 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:54:12

Oh! DH wouldn’t agree to the name!
I pad has a mind of its own today!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:58:04

After I was widowed and various other misfortunes I downsized to a small new terrace in a town which I named Hope Cottage. If you haven't got any hope you haven't got anything, have you?

It's just a sign though. It's not officially on my address but I may do this one day.

Nanny41 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:00:22

"Blooming Cottage" may be appropriate if you have lots of flowers etc.Its just a thought.

ninathenana Fri 30-Aug-19 14:06:11

Is there a particular plant in the garden.....Rose Cottage or Laurel Cottage maybe
Windmill View.... Seaside Cottage

quizqueen Fri 30-Aug-19 14:06:16

I always wanted to have a house called RIVENDELL after the woods where the elves live in Tolkein's books, but I don't want to live in a valley- in case of flooding! I'm sure if you google 'cottage names', you'll get a myriad of suggestions.

Teetime Fri 30-Aug-19 14:58:03

artdecogran how about something connected with artdeco?

Jane10 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:12:24

Our secret name for our last house was 'Runways End' as that was what it felt like sometimes!

paddyann Fri 30-Aug-19 15:25:01

my husbands 2x great grandfather built a cottage in the mid 1800's it was called Illsington cottage .The origin of the name was lost over the years until I did the family tree and dicovered 2XGG came from Illsington in Devon and that there are still living relatives there who we now keep in touch with .
Although we've always lived in detached properties we've never given them a name .

Artdecogran Fri 30-Aug-19 15:40:23

Thanks for those lovely and amusing selections. I’ve been looking up house names and it is quite fascinating. I might go with Yaffle Cottage, it apparently means green woodpecker in Yorkshire and Kent dialect. My husband enjoyed our caravan in Kent where we had woodpeckers in the trees next door. Sort of a link to him that I like and the name sounds so funny, it makes me smile, and I don’t think anyone else would have it.

Jane10 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:42:57

Professor Yaffle in Bagpuss!

Marmight Fri 30-Aug-19 15:44:42

Our first tiny 2 up 2 down cottage out in the middle of nowhere in the S of England was ‘blessed’ with the name Braemar House. We renamed it Wren Cottage, for obvious reasons. I went back recently to have a sentimental look and, after over 40 years later, it is still called Wren Cottage..

Artdecogran Fri 30-Aug-19 15:46:46

Jane10 wow thanks for that, it is bizarre but my husband loved bagpuss, he even bought a soft toy bagpuss about 5 years ago and took it to work with him. He was a firearms licensing officer so not a soft person either. It just has to be Yaffle. Many thanks

sodapop Fri 30-Aug-19 16:40:29

Reminds me of Brookside and Casa Bevron. grin

NanaandGrampy Fri 30-Aug-19 16:41:35

We moved almost 2 years ago now into a little bungalow grandly named The White House.

But we have named my crafting studio at the bottom of the garden The West Wing, and Grampy's new potting shed is called The Oval Office :-) ( because of the trumping that goes on in there lol !!

chicken Fri 30-Aug-19 16:43:29

A house near us used to be boarding kennels. When it was sold, the new owners called it "Dunbarkin".

joannapiano Fri 30-Aug-19 16:44:09

We had a friend who retired from the police at the same time as DH. He called his new build house The Copse.

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 16:45:45

As a Yorkshire girl I second ‘Yaffle Cottage’ ?
It will make a talking point and won’t be confused with any other house nearby.
We had to change our house name as there was a house just around the corner, both had ‘apple’ in the name.

Jane10 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:07:12

Hooray! Are you going to have a launch party for Yaffle Cottage? Make it a virtual one and we'll all toast its official christening. ?

BBbevan Fri 30-Aug-19 20:18:19

I think Yaffle Cottage is a brilliant name.

GrandmaJan Sat 31-Aug-19 09:58:49

I can remember in the 1980’s Vera Duckworth (Coronation Street) bought a plaque and named her house The Rectory.

annifrance Sat 31-Aug-19 10:09:43

Put two small lion statues on the g ateposts and call it Shortleat.

Hellsbelles Sat 31-Aug-19 10:10:20

I also live in a bungalow, and have been thinking of names . Tbh because it is a bungalow I can't see myself as choosing xxx Cottage as in my eye it is not a cottage. I have a few ideas but I think it will end in xxx Croft , the Scottish for a low house ( and I live about 30 miles from Scotland )