Gransnet forums

Chat

Threads about threads

(47 Posts)
Lessismore Sat 31-Aug-19 19:07:48

Why is this not permitted? Surely in real life we have conversations about conversations?

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 19:11:13

Odd innit?

Gransnet are terrified of arguments.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 19:12:19

Ohhh you’re pushing it good luck on this one
I can never understand the thought behind this and think it’s a rule that isn’t needed, when other rules are

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 19:13:51

Don't understand why.

Everybody likes following a good old shouting match.

sodapop Sat 31-Aug-19 19:15:28

Yes I agree BlueBelle there other things which are needed. It's very easy to get side tracked and not realise you are talking about another thread.

sodapop Sat 31-Aug-19 19:16:21

Gonegirl gringrin

Lessismore Sat 31-Aug-19 19:18:47

But why would it be an argument? If you read something it might spark up an idea, which then becomes a thread?

Carillion01 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:19:21

Hello Less and Gonegirl,

Still waiting for an explanation from a message I sent yesterday to HQ for their reasons behind cancelling a thread which exposed nastiness and highlighted GNHQ inability to monitor some who hide behind multiple changes of usernames.
Luckily I've kept copies of all bullying posts which relate to what I will challenge them over.

Lessismore Sat 31-Aug-19 19:25:10

For example, I read a thread about autumn clothing and I think to myself " Oh I must get a new coat....I'll ask for advice and start a thread"

Why is this problematic?

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 19:42:45

It wouldn't be a problem. You would just say "Following on from the other thread..." That would be ok.

merlotgran Sat 31-Aug-19 19:54:48

I've never understood it either. It's so frustrating when people are posting in secret code about another thread and I haven't a clue what they're talking about.

It gives the pearl clutchers something to report I suppose.

Urmstongran Sat 31-Aug-19 20:09:02

There must be a reason. Just that I don’t understand what it is!

Urmstongran Sat 31-Aug-19 20:11:30

some who hide behind multiple changes of usernames.

How do you work out who they are Carillion?
?

annsixty Sat 31-Aug-19 20:34:03

I admit I know I cant.
I know it happens, it would seem for normal mortals to be a hard thing to do but some seem to manage it without any problem.

kircubbin2000 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:40:05

How can you change your name? Do you need a new account?

Alima Sat 31-Aug-19 20:56:12

I don’t understand why a thread about a thread is such a crime. HQ keep droning on about why it is so but it goes straight over the top of my head. Not unusual. I find the multiple changes of username far more sinister. Some are quite reasonable. Others just seem to give more aggressive posters carte blanche to fire verbal shrapnel from another direction. (No, I don’t have examples to quote right now, this is an observation).

trisher Sat 31-Aug-19 20:59:19

It means when they delete a thread you can't set up a thread to discuss it. It's so useful for them.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Aug-19 22:20:40

Hello, the reason we and Mumsnet do this is when a thread is deleted for a reason, it defeats the purpose if the same conversation/issue is rehashed. Goodnight all moon

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 22:25:08

Lara, someone is offering crystal meths for sale to Gransnetters. You'd better not go to bed just yet. shock

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 22:28:06

'S alright. It's gone.

Night night Lara.

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 22:28:26

moon

FarNorth Sat 31-Aug-19 22:33:03

And if a thread isn't deleted? Why not talk about it then?

Lessismore if a thread about fashion caused you to want to discuss winter coats, I'm sure that would be fine as you'd be talking about the coats, not about what was said in the original fashion thread.

If you said, tho, "those people in that fashion thread haven't a clue - they're all posting pics of frumpy looking stuff." that might not be okay.

FarNorth Sat 31-Aug-19 22:36:37

As this is a thread about threads about threads, I expect that's all right as I've never heard it said we can't do that.

Riverwalk Sat 31-Aug-19 22:36:39

So this is a thread about threads about threads? hmm

Right Lara's gone to bed - a bit early in my opinion, it's Saturday night! What can we get up to?

Pity the crystal meths was reported we could have had fun with that one!

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 22:41:16

I think Lara's "Goodnight all. moon" might have been a polite way of saying "Now shut the fuck up". shock