Gransnet forums

Chat

Gin

(55 Posts)
annsixty Wed 04-Sep-19 23:00:27

Please forgive me for being totally flippant and trivial but today a crash involving 2 lorries on the M60 resulted in the loss of 32,000 litres of gin.
Those of us who love our G&T must feel the loss.
Yes Brexit is looming, hurricanes are happening, I do realise how pathetic I am but just allow me a little tear.
I will accept all negative posts, I have become immune to them.

Lilypops Wed 04-Sep-19 23:05:42

Oh no Annsixty, Catastrophe I say as one who does enjoy a nice G&T , I wonder if they needed any help clearing up, I would have done the right thing and volunteered myself just to help of course !!?????

MiniMoon Wed 04-Sep-19 23:57:52

To add insult to injury, the fire service sprayed the gin with foam to prevent it igniting.
It was then first thing I told my husband about when he came in from work. I'd just drunk the last of my rather delicious raspberry him when he arrived.

MiniMoon Wed 04-Sep-19 23:58:55

Raspberry gin. Daft autocorrect!

Teacheranne Thu 05-Sep-19 00:01:09

OMG! I hope there is not a shortage which puts the price up! Tescos currently have a litre of Gordon's for £17, maybe I ought to stockpile some?

SparklyGrandma Thu 05-Sep-19 00:04:49

I wonder if any drivers passing the crash site who inhaled gin fumes, would fail a breathalyser?

sodapop Thu 05-Sep-19 08:35:15

Not trivial at all annsixty that's almost a month's supply for us Gransnetters who like our tipple grin
The raspberry gin is delicious I agree Minimoon

mcem Thu 05-Sep-19 08:43:24

If this crash involved one of the big suppliers and a shortage does result from the crash, then I suggest you have to explore some of your local craft gins.
A challenge perhaps but go on, force yourself!

ninathenana Thu 05-Sep-19 08:44:06

You can have my share annsixty ?

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:45:46

Reminds me of 'Whisky Galore!" (1949)
Anyone remember that film?

kittylester Thu 05-Sep-19 08:49:00

And my share ann, I'll swap for any white wine you have going begging, I'm stockpiling, just to be on the safe side!!

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 08:51:55

The blackbirds will be partying with drunken earthworms.

Grammaretto Thu 05-Sep-19 08:56:59

Oh disaster! I'm with you . I love a Gordon's and best tonic with ice and lemon. None of the sweet Schweppes or fancy gin brands for me.

A fire in a Highlands' whisky distillery years ago ; cows were seen wobbling around in neighbouring fields.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 08:58:02

?
It’s an ill wind that blows nobody any good BradfordL

Presently we have a new bottle of Beefeater strawberry gin ready to open ( not at this early hour though)?
It was £13 from Sainsbury, the offer is still on Ann get yer coat on quick!

Dolcelatte Thu 05-Sep-19 09:07:36

I hope it wasn't in the sloe lane grin

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 09:20:34

Well I can't get away with a plain G & T but I do love the Gin Liqueurs that are around at the moment especially the raspberry and the Elderflower which are my particular favourites. I have tried using a better tonic (Fever Tree) and can just about get away with it if I use a flavoured tonic but not otherwise.

Has anyone tried the Kopperberg strawberry gin (its not a liqueur its a flavoured gin) now that is truly delicious with a dash of lemonade and plenty of ice.

KatyK Thu 05-Sep-19 09:36:13

Oh no. I don't drink gin by it's DH's favourite tipple. He'll be gutted!

fizzers Thu 05-Sep-19 09:55:50

I have not drunk gin since it made me 'poorly' many many years ago, but I can sympathise with the gin drinkers

Teetime Thu 05-Sep-19 09:58:28

I hope there wont be a shortage now!

EllanVannin Thu 05-Sep-19 10:08:04

It used to be Famous Grouse for me a long time ago but it pushed my BP up. I loved it with dry ginger. Had to stop alcohol.

Theoddbird Thu 05-Sep-19 10:35:29

I must be odd....I have only had gin once. Friend insisted I have a gin and tonic. I just don't get it though...

annsixty Thu 05-Sep-19 10:35:57

I read this morning it was 80% proof.
Being not very bright ,does this mean it is watered down before it gets bottled.?
That makes the shortage factor even worse as it means much more lost than 32,000 litres.
Oh, woe is me.

Auntieflo Thu 05-Sep-19 10:41:11

I've just checked the cupboard.
It's OK.
We have nearly 2 litres, so that will last me another 5 years
grin

Mollygo Thu 05-Sep-19 10:49:17

I’m sure someone referred to it as a ‘gincident’.

JackyB Thu 05-Sep-19 10:58:50

Our whole family loves a gin - from my "cool" 2 youngest DS to my DM who nearly made it to 100. We don't live in the UK though, and are always shocked at the price there. If you ever come to Germany, don't bother with duty-free, just raid the supermarkets.

Not for the moment though, the £££ being as low as it is.