Gransnet forums

Chat

Raging! Disgusting people

(75 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:45:52

My DiL and DD run a serviced apartment business. They work very hard and the apartments have just been refurbished to a high standard. Most occupants are nice people and they have lots of return business.
Yesterday a family checked out and SiL discovered that this group had comprehensively trashed the place. New furniture ruined and even filth up the walls. What animals!! It will take days to clean and refurnished as well as being unlettable in the meantime. I'm just ranting really. How can people think that's somehow OK or that they can get away with it?! They will be charged for the destruction of this property but would then put nasty reviews on websites. Luckily DD photographed all the ruined rooms so could happily post them. Maybe insurance might help as it's not exactly normal wear and tear.
Some people!!! angry

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 12:19:16

Why I ask.

I would be taking extra care of everything because it had been newly refurbished and I would not like to leave a mark anywhere. Can these folk be traced? I would happily appear on their doorstep to say a few choice words!

sodapop Fri 06-Sep-19 12:28:49

I know exactly how your daughters feel Jane10 it's heart breaking when people don't take care of your property. It's quite often the least likely people as well. We rented out a couple of houses some years ago, three young men who were in the navy left the place immaculate. A married couple no children kept a goat in the kitchen and left the place in a disgusting state. One lady even sent the curtains to be cleaned before she left

Davidhs Fri 06-Sep-19 12:33:04

Having rented out apartments for some years, any faith in tenants evaporated long ago. Now it’s basic functional furniture, vinyl floors and magnolia paint any extra they can add themselves. Present tenants are single men and are pretty good, in the past there have been several really bad ones.
You simply cannot judge in advance who will be good or bad

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 12:35:01

The house next door is permanently rented and one female with two boys and a dog thrashed the place. The dog was not allowed outside so it did its business in the living room and kitchen. How they could have lived with the stench was beyond me.

Not a lot phases me but I entered the house with the landlord after they had been evicted and the stench was out of this world. It cost a lot of money to get it cleaned and then he refurbished it outside and in, to a high standard.

KatyK Fri 06-Sep-19 12:38:40

I'll never understand some people. My sister's house backs onto a pretty canal. There are no fences up so the canal is part of the garden really. Recent she saw her neighbour tipping all her household waste into the canal! angry

paddyann Fri 06-Sep-19 12:44:35

In 25 years of renting property I've only had one bad tenant .She destroyed furniture and took anything that was moveable with her when she left.We had asked her to leave because her neighbours told us she was dealing drugs form the falt.So this was her revenge.
I think we got off lightly though,her 16 year old son was jailed for murder soon after .

He died before he was 20 and they came to us for photographs for his funeral order of service leaflets.I'm glad we could rise above the past and o them with no charge .He was still their son after all
Since then we have no issues with tenants ,some have been with us for 8 or 9 years before they move on .

fizzers Fri 06-Sep-19 13:04:02

The house next door to me is private rented, all the tenants have been pretty decent and quite, apart from one, and she was a right tramp, left the house and gardens in a disgusting mess, it had to be refurbished after she had gone, not only that it was riddled with fleas

Beckett Fri 06-Sep-19 13:04:34

When we were first married we rented out the top floor of our first house. One person did a midnight flit - leaving damaged furniture and removing anything not nailed down, another left washing soaking in the bath! However, the majority of our tenants were very good and became friends who we kept in touch with for several years after they left.

Nonnie Fri 06-Sep-19 13:44:45

A friend has a holiday let and she had bad tenants so she wrote to them and shamed them. They offered to pay for the damage. I think on some of the websites the owners can write reviews of the tenants. That might be a good idea with the photos as evidence that they are not being vindictive.

GabriellaG54 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:24:45

Your rental payments (and defaults) can now appear on your credit file ( Experian etc) but I've no idea how you go about it.

Jane10 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:54:33

I expect my SiL will be on the case and won't let them off. It was only a short stay and the apartment is already booked so it's all systems go to get it sorted again in time.
Their address will have been on the booking and their credit card will be charged with the costs but who knows if they're already on the limit!

M0nica Fri 06-Sep-19 15:00:55

My worst tenants were two lovely irish lads traight from uni in Ireland. Mammy had done everything for them since they were born.

The flat was left uncleaned, in a year it had never ocurred to them to move,even a dining chair when cleaning. It took months for them to get duvet covers so the bedding had to be replaced. They left the grill on overnight and melted all the burner taps.

Finally, after I had charged them for the professional cleaning, new duvets etc and returned what was left of their deposit I got the elelctrician in to get the necessary certificates and he found that the Consumer Uint in a dangerous state following the grill left on incident - another£400- which it was too late to recover.

As I said lovely lads, completely well meaning but having had their mothers do everything for them for 21 years, is ignorant as a new born babes when it came to matters domestic.

jenpax Fri 06-Sep-19 15:24:29

Plenty of homeowners don’t clean or mend stuff either its not just tenants

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 15:32:04

Jane10 there are some people who live in a state that an animal wouldn’t.
Hope your family aren’t left out of pocket by it.

M0nica Fri 06-Sep-19 15:48:59

jenpax pooping on the floor in your own home is entirely different from messing up other people's property.

Home owners have to clear their own mess and if they do not then that affects how much they can sell their grotty home for. With tenants, it is the landlord who often ends up footing the bill.

humptydumpty Fri 06-Sep-19 15:58:37

I don't think they should be deterred by negative comments on websites, respond by posting pictures of how they left the apartment.

JenniferEccles Fri 06-Sep-19 15:59:46

What an horrific story Jane10

We have property we rent out and your family's awful experience is one of my dreads. We recently spent quite a lot of money getting a house ready for tenants to move in, and I would be heartbroken if it was trashed after we had spent so much time and effort making it look lovely.

What these awful people need to realise that if landlords are unfortunate enough to have too many of these dreadful tenants, then they will give up and sell their properties. We certainly would.

If enough do that then there would be a serious shortage of homes to rent, and then what? Council estates aren't being built these days, so where would those people live who can't afford to buy?

Doodledog Fri 06-Sep-19 16:54:47

I have no idea, but does the OP's case not count as criminal damage? I don't suppose it would get any money back, but you might get some satisfaction fro reporting it.

Gonegirl Fri 06-Sep-19 17:13:06

Unbelievable! Destroys your faith in humankind doesn't it?

We have just got back from a short break. We left the property looking immaculate. I did, however, have to leave a note to the owner apologising for what I managed to do to her little Roman blind in the bedroom. Still don't know how those things are supposed to work. Think she will have to re-string it. blush Sorry nice lady in Wales.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Sep-19 17:56:23

I'd be scared in case 20 families took over these places. It's a heck of a risk letting properties.

jura2 Fri 06-Sep-19 18:01:34

So sorry for them - stories like this are the reason why we go against family and firends advice to rent our apartment in the UK.

The only way is to avoid for short term lets is to have a high credit card deposit and to have an inspection before departure.

JenniferEccles Fri 06-Sep-19 18:18:54

Yes I was going to suggest a huge deposit but that would penalise tenants who cause no problems whatsoever.

It’s not possible to predict which tenants might cause problems.

Rents are not cheap these days and in fact it’s often cheaper to have a mortgage if people are willing or able to save the necessary deposit to buy.

kircubbin2000 Fri 06-Sep-19 18:52:24

When I let rooms one couple used the bedroom armchair as a toilet.Another young man wet the bed every night and blamed his elderly companion. He gave me money for a new mattress but my neighbour told me he had done the same in her house.
I had towels and hairdryer stolen on other occasions.

PamelaJ1 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:22:21

I have had my share of horrible tenants. My sister kept us appalled with her tales of woe when she was a chambermaid for a period as part of her hotel management course.

I think that the owners of holiday accommodation and chambermaids must rejoice when they go into the rooms we have left. I even clean round the sink!