Gransnet forums

Chat

Bra question.

(27 Posts)
Daddima Sat 07-Sep-19 12:17:41

Just looking online and wondering why anyone who wears a G cup would buy a padded bra.

GagaJo Sat 07-Sep-19 12:22:16

I used to be a G cup (breast cancer) and I'd agree. I wear padded NOW to make me look like the G cup I used to be.

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 12:22:51

No! I'm between a D and an E cup and that's quite enough already thank you.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Sep-19 12:44:35

To help conceal extremely large nipples?

Coolgran65 Sat 07-Sep-19 12:51:54

I’m a 36j and get offered padded. No thank you. Most shops can’t even offer me an option. Bravissimo is my friend

MissAdventure Sat 07-Sep-19 12:59:18

Maybe to even up the sizes of each breast?

Lazigirl Sat 07-Sep-19 13:02:03

Is it for a better shape/support? I am 34D/E and wouldn't wear padded or wired.

GagaJo Sat 07-Sep-19 13:39:59

GrannyGravy13, nipples aren't bigger on big boobs. LOL

Ilovecheese Sat 07-Sep-19 13:54:39

It just gives a smoother outline.

M0nica Sat 07-Sep-19 14:24:08

Why would anyone buy a padded bra? I am 32B and never wear them - and never have.

I certainly canot tell whether anyone is wearing a padded or unpadded bra by looking to see how smooth the outline is.

DD told me that they introduced those great padded breastplate bras because they are easier and cheaper to make. Just a moulded foam shape with fabric stretched and moulded onto it. To be a good fit, an unpadded bra has to have many more pieces to it which makes making it fiddlier and more expensive to make.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:25:53

Perhaps padded gives more support?

MissAdventure Sat 07-Sep-19 14:27:04

I was going to say that.
Mine are like a shelf if I wear padded bras, and about as comfortable as carrying a shelf around.

boho43 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:39:11

I’m a 42G & no way way would I buy a padded bra. I’ve got far too much padding already for my liking.

How l long to be a 36B!

GagaJo Sat 07-Sep-19 15:08:50

Be very careful what you wish for boho43. I used to wish for similar and now, post breast cancer, lo and behold I'm a large C or a small D, depending on how I measure them.

I wish I had my old boobs back. I'm happy to be alive OBVIOUSLY but still...

boho43 Sat 07-Sep-19 15:24:50

GagaJo.

As soon as I posted I thought what a careless statement I had made. Very insensitive, & I apologise to you & anyone else I may offend.

May I add that I have cancer too, so I should know better. I have Leukaemia.

GagaJo Fri 13-Sep-19 17:31:48

boho43, NOT OFFENDED in the slightest! My boobs are not anywhere near the top of my list of concerns in life! 1) I'm lucky I survived. 2) I had world class medical treatment. 3) I had the gold standard surgery and reconstruction.

So one of my boobs looks like a dogs chew toy? Meh. Don't really care much. My bloke doesn't seem bothered either.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Very hard when it's a 'live with it' strain, rather than a cut it off one. I was lucky I got mine where it could just be lopped off.

Wishing you all the best boho43. XX

phoenix Fri 13-Sep-19 18:44:02

Without padding or gel bra, my chest would like a slightly bumpy ironing board blush

However, to look on the bright side, what little I have doesn't droop! smile

I bumped into someone I hadn't seen for quite some time. She has always said that can't be bothered with bras.

Her bosoms have now actually reached her waist shock Before long, she will be tucking them into her trousers..................

lemongrove Fri 13-Sep-19 18:51:48

MissA your comment reminded me of the old limerick:
There was a young lady from Devizes
Who had breasts of varying sizes
One was small, really nothing at all
The other was big and won prizes! grin

In answer to the OP, it could be that if you have a very full bust/boobs/breasts ( choose a word you prefer) then a padded bra gives extra support.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Sep-19 18:57:46

'Bra'vo, lemon.
I do like a bit of a poem.

There was an old man from Nantucket... or maybe not.

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Sep-19 20:58:23

I can never find bras that are comfortable. M&S bras are my usual go to but have to admit to wearing the same ones for a long time .(obviously washing them though) It is just so difficult to feel comfortable, but I am too large to go without and would find it too embarrassing.

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Sep-19 23:41:30

I wear a 36j bra. Some shops can't even show me a bra to try on. A wire bra is the more supportive and shapely.
A non wired has less support but may be a little more comfortable.

Occasionally I have been offered balcony style ....really...with a J cup??
Or a plunge....
Full cup, surely not too much to ask? Apparently so sad

crazyH Sat 14-Sep-19 23:54:51

That's me Lemongrove
Not quite such a difference but I am lopsided...I too had a tumour removed , but it was benign.
My good wishes to anyone on here, who are going through treatment.flowers

Persistentdonor Sun 15-Sep-19 09:09:44

Miss Adventure
..... who bought a lemon to suck it..... smile

Persistentdonor Sun 15-Sep-19 09:11:41

The lemon was sour,
It did make him glower,
so he threw it right into a bucket......
sad

silverlining48 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:08:21

Watch (or check?) your lemons online is a basket of about 12 lemons describing all the different problems. Very clever. If I was techie enough I would be able to attach here but if interested you will have to google. Maybe someone who can might be able to do this as it is important to all of us.
I wish my dd had known earlier that a symptom she had was something that needed checking.
As to bras I find most are uncomfortable, whether fitted by someone, or not.