Gransnet forums

Chat

Gossip

(253 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:26:13

Today in Guildford, I was reminded if a thread a while back re persons who are fat/overweight.
I was beyond shocked to see 4 simply huge men and similar women, at different times, none of whom were together and all of whom were truly enormous.
I would find it unbelievable if all 5 were to fall back on the 'I'm diabetic' excuse.
The idea that people can let themselves get into that state and keep eating (as 2 of them were) is very sad indeed and then they moan that they can't fit into bus or airline seats and can't work because of A, B, C or D.
Are there no answers to obesity because there were also some seriously overweight men whose man boobs and bellies hung pendulously over their trousers.

On another note.
I had an appointment at Virgin Money in Guildford.
On arrival I was immediately greeted by a beautifully turned out advisor who offered me tea, coffee, biscuits...?? and showed me to the several sumptuous velvet armchairs and settees piled high with velvet cushions.
The 60" tv was showing the BBC afternoon news and weather and my drink was placed on a coaster on a glass table.
A man with a hi-viz vest was lounging on a swivel chair opposite, dunking biscuits in his tea and reading a newspaper.
At one end of the room was a fully kitted out kitchen with a white modern dining table and chairs and a 'rest room' with M&F loos situated on an adjacent corridor.
The ceiling lights were enormous with plush red, gold and black drum shades inset with circular mirrors which reflected the floor areas.

I completed my business seated on a red velvet banquette with a top spec Mac pc suspended from the ceiling which could be pulled down and angled to suit the advisor.
When I left, she invited me to drop in any time I'm in town to take refreshment and read, watch tv chill out.
This begs the question where does the money to support this, come from?
I don't even bank with them, mind you, the furniture was utterly luxurious. ?

Calendargirl Thu 12-Sep-19 20:31:55

Perhaps Richard (Branson) kits them all out. LOL.

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:48:01

Rather a nasty post regarding overweight people. You know absolutely nothing about their circumstances or why they are overweight. They could have medical issues, psychological issues or it can also be side effects from medication. Nothing changes, people are very quick to judge by appearances.

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Sep-19 21:08:24

Fiachna50
Thank you - you are absolutely correct.

I no longer get into arguments with stupid people who clearly know nothing (and care less) why there are so many bigger people in the world.

There are so many books about it now, my own included, based on decades of research.

But morons prefer to insult or laugh at fat people rather than learn and understand how they got that way and what appalling challenges they(we) face every day of our lives.

Why should they care, ^they have esaped those effects and now have easy targets for their bile.

There are so many eating disorders and suicides as a result of these despicable attitudes and every time I hear of one more fat child bullied at school (sometimes to death), one more teenager driven to suicide because they long to be thin - I blame those who have made this an unbearable world for those who, for many reasons have become and remain fat.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:00:59

I did not and never have insulted or laughed at overweight or obese people so that remark doesn't pertain to me.
Why is it so hard to accept that some people just eat too much and don't exercise enough.
Not every fat person has a medical or psychological reason behind their obesity, yet you talk as if every one of them must have a reason other than purely eating for eating's sake.
If you question my take on it, then by the same token I wonder how you can dismiss my view that many just overeat because they can...or are you saying that it's a fact that all fat people have a medical or psychological excuse?

Greenfinch Thu 12-Sep-19 22:07:46

Why is it something you feel you need to comment on here Gabriella? These people have done you no harm.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:08:34

Fiachna50

You conveniently missed out those people who are simply greedy. Not every fat person has issues and you actually know no more than I do regarding the 5 people I mentioned in the OP. It could be anything, including greed.
One of them was eating a 150g bag of crisps and had a can of diet coke...at 4pm. hmm

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:13:31

Whatever.

HettyMaud Thu 12-Sep-19 22:13:50

GabriellaG54, I'm totally with you. Sitting here tonight I'd happily munch on crisps, cheese, chocolate, cake.... I'm quite peckish. But I've had a substantial evening meal so all I'll have now is a bedtime drink because if I consumed what I'd really love to consume I'd be overweight. Simple as that. It's not rocket science.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:16:26

Then why comment on anyone, including the Royal Family, Boris Johnson or indeed anyone else who has done no one any direct harm.
It's a forum.
All kinds of questions, opinions and situations are allowed as long as it's kept within GN guidelines, as far as I know.
If you don't agree with my post then move onto another subject but don't stifle debate.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Sep-19 22:16:35

I do think that sometimes people get to a certain weight and the huge challenge of getting all that weight off just seems more than can be coped with so they give up - I can understand that. I am sure I would feel the same. It must be so hard. And food can be a great comfort. I have sympathy with anyone in that situation - no-one wants to be seriously overweight, as the health detriments and the discomfort must be a real trial.

I do think that there are far more overweight people around now than when I was a child; and that in the US this is becoming the norm. I guess we were on a post-war diet - uninteresting and definitely not fattening.

Patsy70 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:17:30

I agree with you, Gabriella. The majority of people I see are overweight, and are quite often either eating stodgy food or just lounging about, or doing both! The fact is that people these days eat too much and exercise too little! Face up to it! Don't make excuses. It is a matter of balance - 'a little of what you fancy does you good', with the emphasis on 'little'. I understand that there are medical reasons for a minority of people being overweight - diabetes, arthritis and other conditions - but, these are not generally the causes of obesity.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:18:06

That was to Greenfinch

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:22:22

Oh here we go, Im hungry but I dont eat. I would be overweight if I did. What do you want? A medal? People genuinely struggle with weight or eating issues. The OP sounds as if she has the perfect slim figure, well enjoy it. You lot that judge overweight people you know nothing. Yes Gabriella, you know nothing.Read up on weight issues, including overeating. Its all alot more complex. The smug and judgemental replies on here are unreal. Gabriella, maybe you dont like it, but overweight people do need eat too.

KatyK Thu 12-Sep-19 22:23:21

I wouldn't judge anyone. I struggle to keep my weight at a (semi) reasonable level. It's not easy but I try. I do however wonder about one of the GPs at our practice who is massive, I would say morbidly obese. Maybe he has a condition of some sort.

SirChenjin Thu 12-Sep-19 22:27:30

Perhaps they’re fat because they’ve been eating too many biscuits at Virgin Money in Guildford?

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:28:16

I was beyond shocked....simply huge your words Gabriella, not mine. If you think that is not insulting to people then what do you think is? You are judging them.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:31:24

What was 'funny', was the presence of several (6-7) Concern chuggers in North Street and possibly more elsewhere, looking to sign people up to making regular donations to their Health and Wellbeing initiative via DD.
They avoided anyone who looked comfortably well fed.

GagaJo Thu 12-Sep-19 22:32:21

I have a friend who is morbidly obese. She has some extremely complex mental health issues due to a long lasting childhood illness. Despite her weight and her mental health problems she works an extremely long week as a state school deputy head. In her free time, she volunteers for the Terrance Higgins Trust AND works in venues frequented by young adults, promoting chlamydia testing.

You can bet your life, she doesn't bitch and gossip about how disgusting anyone else is or how they should change their behaviour. She gives back to her community in so many ways.

If you've got nothing better to do than sit in judgement on those you see as part of your daily life, it makes you an unkind and arrogant person IMO.

Get a life. Mind your own business. Try doing something for others for once.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:33:24

I take it you are judging me...or are you going to call it something else?
Everyone makes judgenents every single day. Everyone.

SirChenjin Thu 12-Sep-19 22:35:42

I certainly do judge people who start rude, unpleasant threads about obese people. I also wonder why they felt it necessary.

annep1 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:37:03

Some people find it very difficult to find the willpower to cut down on eating. That's why there are so many different diets advertised and Weightwatchers etc.

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:37:06

If you are in a hole Gabriella, best to stop digging. You started this thread.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:37:58

GagaJo
You know nothing about me or what I do or do not do for society in general but it's clear that you have missed the news that obesity is on the rise and that is a fact.

GabriellaG54 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:40:24

I started so I'll finish....
If you don't agree then there are plenty of threads to amuse you.