Gransnet forums

Chat

Washing new clothes

(87 Posts)
Esther1 Mon 16-Sep-19 09:35:34

My dil washes all new clothes before wearing them. Even things bought on-line all sealed and packaged. Even ‘non intimate’ clothes like cardigans. Do other people do this? And why?

Feelingmyage55 Mon 16-Sep-19 09:36:56

Yes always. My granny did it!

Pudding123 Mon 16-Sep-19 09:42:27

No ,never heard of this before,is she a bit OCD.?

Esther1 Mon 16-Sep-19 09:46:15

Not at all ocd - in fact housework is very low on her agenda. (I say this in the nicest way because she is a lovely girl who plays with her children and cooks healthy meals for everyone, but tidying and cleaning is definitely not a priority).

Daisymae Mon 16-Sep-19 09:54:52

No, would not dream of it. Bad enough doing it when it needs to be done.

Bopeep14 Mon 16-Sep-19 10:09:07

Yes i do, i would never wear anything that hasn't been washed first.

Someone else has probably tried it on.

A lot of clothes are finished with a product that may be an allergen to some people.

Just got my husbands new work shirts in the washer to make them less stiff.

maddyone Mon 16-Sep-19 10:11:20

No, I don’t wash new things. I wear/use them and then wash.

Poppyred Mon 16-Sep-19 10:13:12

No of course not! ??

EllanVannin Mon 16-Sep-19 10:18:52

My mum used to do, and boil new towels too ??

Davida1968 Mon 16-Sep-19 10:21:14

Good grief, no, other than possibly baby clothes. Life's too short!

Scribbles Mon 16-Sep-19 10:39:50

I bought some jeans which came with an instruction to wash before wearing as, otherwise, "loose" dye was likely to migrate on to your skin/other clothes.
I ignored the instruction and still have the blue-stained knickers and t-shirt which resulted.
Apart from that, the only other things I've ever washed before first wear are towels.

harrigran Mon 16-Sep-19 10:53:15

Washing before wear spoils the look of the garment, it takes out the dressing and skirts and dresses hang poorly.
I would never buy jeans that need the excess dye removed, a reputable company would have done that at manufacture.
I did wash all new baby clothes for DIL when she asked me, even winter coats and pram suits even though they did not look good after.

Anniebach Mon 16-Sep-19 10:56:27

Yes, I do

dragonfly46 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:12:04

Never - what if things need dry cleaning - do you do that too. I only did the baby clothes.

Framilode Mon 16-Sep-19 11:14:57

My husband will not wear anything new that has not been washed. It's the same with bedding. I have just bought a lot of new bedding for a holiday home and I have to wash it all before it can be used.

I can't understand it, I love the feel of new things before they have been washed.

Margs Mon 16-Sep-19 11:24:25

Yes, I always wash first. Many fabrics are 'finished' with God knows what chemicals to make them look and feel nice.

Not too keen on contracting psoriasis.

grannyqueenie Mon 16-Sep-19 11:27:22

Only clothes for a new baby nothing else, life’s too short!

Charleygirl5 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:32:05

Occasionally- if I saw clothes being "fingered" in a store.

Arry Mon 16-Sep-19 11:32:08

you can't catch psoriasis Margs

Annsan Mon 16-Sep-19 11:35:35

What a terrible waste of water!

sazz1 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:41:38

Son is allergic to most of the starch or dressings used so always washes everything. Saves having a rash

Anthea1948 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:42:42

Yes, I do it. Especially with new sheets. My mother used to relate a tale of when she was in Belgium she slept in new sheets and that somehow made her so ill she 'almost died', I'm not sure how much truth there was in that, but I know wash every new piece of fabric that comes into the house that will be worn or slept in. Except sofas - well, you've got to draw the line somewhere, haven't you?

Mollygo Mon 16-Sep-19 11:45:22

I wear and wash mostly though I sometimes prewash sheets and pillow cases. Once when my daughter had an ‘all-over’ rash, the doctor, gingerly grasped her collar between his finger and thumb, peered down her back and asked in an accusing voice, “Has she had any new bedding recently?” With visions of things hiding in the packs from M and S that I’d just used, I guiltily admitted that she had.
“She’s probably allergic to the finishing they use.. You’d better wash them first!”

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:46:29

No, never.
When I wash dark jeans I put a colour catcher sheet in the drum no matter how many times they've been washed and I wash everytbing at 30°
There really is no need to boil towels.

Craftycat Mon 16-Sep-19 11:50:24

No- never -unless like jeans they say to wash them first to get rid of excess dye. Better that than blue legs!
Actually thinking about it I do wash new towels before I use them too.