Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost 2 stone but it doesn't show! (lighthearted moan)

(63 Posts)
giulia Mon 16-Sep-19 13:16:24

Over the past year, I've managed to drop from over 80 kg to under 69 - almost two stone.

You'd think I'd have something to show for it but NO! One notch down on my belt but am still XLL size.

Nobody seems to have noticed either -my daughter finally noticed last week. I've been 68k+ for a couple of months now. I am 1.73 tall and this is the upper part of normal for my height.

Where did it go? I suppose on my upper arms and thighs and my backside. My face is a little thinner too, but that's it.

Am rather disappointed. Think I'll stuff my face with cream cakes to console myself.

Have you found dieting to be disappointing?

silverlining48 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:22:31

It depends if you have a lot of weight to lose, the more to lose the slower it is before it becomes obvious. Don’t worry, keep going, your hips knees heart lungs everything will be all the better fir it.
Well done. You know it makes sense.

focused1 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:24:09

Not just weight loss but your general health will be better

silverlining48 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:26:41

Oh and yes I have found dieting disappointing but managed to lose 2 stones some years ago and by watching my weight have kept it off. Trouble is I still have another 2 to lose.

Oldandverygrey Mon 16-Sep-19 14:30:37

Giulia - I have lost four stone this past year and everyone asks me if I have been ill!

Anja Mon 16-Sep-19 14:31:46

That is a tremendous weight loss. Don’t be despondent you have done very well ??

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:32:39

At almost 5-9 and 10st 9lbs that's not hesvy but, mind you, weight sits differently on everyone.

One woman in the news lost 8st by dieting and is now 12st 9lbs and a size 12.

I myself am 5-6.5 and weigh 11st 2lbs but wear size 16 tops and 14 bottoms. Medium in some tops.
I have been 10st 7lbs but looked like death warmed up.
Your shape changes as you know and it's difficult to lose weight from specific areas.
I used to run until recently which gave me an adrenaline boost but I didn't lose any weight as I drank a lot of water.
I wish you luck on your journey. smile

Jane10 Mon 16-Sep-19 14:36:45

I seem to lose weight in unexpected places. Tops of legs first to go. Very annoying as that's virtually invisible to others but I certainly feel it.

paddyann Mon 16-Sep-19 16:06:29

I lost two and a half stone last summer ,I know my clothes are 3 sizes smaller but I think I just look the same when I look in the mirror.Maybe you're like me, Someone told me it takes time for your head to catch up with your body and I'm hoping I might see a new svelt me in the mirror sometime soon.For now I'm always surprised when I try on a size 10 or even an 8 in some shops and it fits

Alima Mon 16-Sep-19 16:27:09

Brilliant weight loss guilia, great achievement. (Conversely, I need to lose two stone. Is there any point if I won’t look any different? Reckon it would make me feel better though).

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 16:42:51

Why we're all fixated on being a size 8 or 10...heaven knows.
Lots of people on GN saying 'I used to be size 10 but the menopause.....
As long as the weight is proportionate to your body fat and height...and you're healthy, who cares whether you're 8 or 18.
It's not a contest. You do it for you and your health, not the congratulations.

Blinko Mon 16-Sep-19 16:46:34

Wise words, Gabriella54. Unless there's medical problem, what's the big deal?

paddyann Mon 16-Sep-19 16:54:04

I didn't do it for congratulations GabriellaG54 I did it because I have herniated discs and I was advised losing weight would avoid an operation .My back is much better since I lost the weight .The chance of an op is much less

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:37:45

I understand paddyann and I do recall reading about your disc on another thread.
Reading your post here simply reminded me of how many people (across all threads) would love to be a size 10 which is a dream for most of us...although I might have been born that size ??
I do realise that herniated discs can be so very painful (a friend had to wear a back brace for a few months due to slipped disc) and I'm pleased to read that you found a way to relieve that pain which was a win/win.
Best wishes flowers
Gabriella

watermeadow Mon 16-Sep-19 19:37:50

I lost almost 3 stone a few years ago. It took a year and nobody ever commented.
I wondered whether people thought I was ill so hesitated to congratulate me.

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:39:12

I find losing a few stones pretty simple...

midgey Mon 16-Sep-19 19:42:49

Guilia congratulations you must have worked hard! Unfortunately I seem to have found your missing stones ?

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:47:44

...I empty my shoes after walking on gravel...??

phoenix Mon 16-Sep-19 19:47:58

GabriellaG54, I found losing a few stones pretty simple too, 2 fell out of my engagement ring..................

M0nica Mon 16-Sep-19 19:57:28

giula that makes two of us. I lost 2 stone a couple of years ago. I have a before picture. The after picture shows me looking smaller but no thinner, a bit like I have been through the washing machine and shrunk all over.

However I am not complaining and enjoying all the benefits. Consistently lower blood pressure, no indigestion, or very little, no aching knee, I can bend over to tie a shoe lace without holding my breath.

Actually, watermeadow I had the same problem. I lost 2 stone in 4 months. One person did say that I was looking well, but that was all. hmm

Gabriella I think people define themselves by clothes size, because if someone says they are 5ft 7 and weigh 11stone, or 5ft and weigh 10 stone, for an example, unless you see a photo it is not always easy to work out whether that is fat or thin, healthy or unhealthy, but if someone says I take a size 8/10/20, it is much easy to understand.

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 21:01:44

phoenix ???
DO tell me that you found them...sad

GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Sep-19 21:05:20

Yes M0nica, I understand but I find 12st 9lbs and size 12 pretty difficult to compute unless the person is 5'10" or more. confused

BBbevan Mon 16-Sep-19 21:17:01

Gosh, I lost 2and a half stone 3 years ago. Arms, face and lower body, including feet are thinner. I had to buy new trousers and knickers. But my bust has stayed the same . Love wearing things I couldn't before.

M0nica Mon 16-Sep-19 21:36:39

Yes, I would agree with you Gabriella, but actually the problem could be that clothing sizes are very flexible and if someone has found one garment in size 12 that fits them.....

A year or two ago my wardrobe included clothes in sizes 8 to 18. All of which fitted me. On the other hand, most were sizes 10 or 12.

I was recently tidying out some clothes. I have a pair of Laura Ashley trousers, size 16, which I still wear and they are a close fit. I also found some size 16 jeans that I could hold a party in. The waist pulled over my hips without undoing the flies and were a comfortable fit under the armpits.

giulia Tue 17-Sep-19 07:43:48

It was taking statins that had given me liver damage so I had to cut out all dairy, meat fats and anything rubbishy (and alcohol!) and drink two litres of water per day.

I already knew I was on the obese border but the health problem scared me into eating correctly and the results came - but not the visible effects!