Gransnet forums

Chat

The burning question this Christmas

(104 Posts)
Lilylaundry Fri 27-Sep-19 11:17:40

This year shall I wrap Christmas presents in:

1. Brown paper and tie them with string?

2. Wrap them in newspaper and tie them in compostable baler twine?

3. Use standard non-compostable wrapping paper and seal with selotape tape?

4. Is it a good idea to give present giving a miss to everyone except the under 18s and give ourselves a huge treat with all the money saved?

How will everyone be wrapping this Christmas?

I'm for No. 4 but not quite brave enough carry it through!

grapefruitpip Fri 27-Sep-19 11:21:03

4 and don't worry about it 3 months in advance.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 27-Sep-19 11:44:11

I'm going to use Oxfam's recycled roll wrap, which is basically brown paper with patterns printed on it, but it's a good size and quite strong, and is re-recyclable. I shall seal with real Sellotape, which is said to be biodegradable (not sure about cheaper brands, but they may be too). I also reuse paper from previous years if it isn't torn or written on.

It's the only thing I have thought about in advance, grapefruitpip, as I am not that organised!

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 11:51:05

I once made re-usable fabric gift bags (I am good at sewing and used lovely Christmas fabrics) and they got put in the bin with the rest of the christmas wrapping pile ?

So just a word of caution: know your audiences!
Compostable wrap wont get composted if the recipient doesnt compost etc! (It doesnt compost in landfill)

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 11:52:42

I use nice re-usable lunch or shopping bags as the gift wrap a lot.

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 11:56:09

This sort of thing. More pricey than dosposable gift bags but it then counts as part of the present:
www.amazon.co.uk/DWE-Lovely-Oxford-Waterproof-Canvas/dp/B07B8NL4L7?tag=gransnetforum-21

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 11:57:02

Ooo no my link went wrong: not the ugly black one! The pretty ones

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 11:59:34

Hope this works better
www.amazon.co.uk/Clearance-Lunch-Bag-Insulated-Quistal/dp/B07DKJ6R3Z?tag=gransnetforum-21

I dont buy them from Amazon though I buy them locally

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 12:00:09

Gift inside, tag on handle

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 27-Sep-19 12:06:49

As a family we adopted 4 years ago but we only buy or give money for the under 16s.

Exception since I move a long way from my daughter is that she and I buy each other a light small surprise gift (under £20) as we post them.

jura2 Fri 27-Sep-19 12:07:54

Gonegirl Fri 27-Sep-19 12:11:01

I will wrap everything in the cheeriest Xmas wrapping paper I can find, apart my XR obsessed devoted grandson. He can have newspaper.

TwiceAsNice Fri 27-Sep-19 12:18:15

I wrap in Christmas paper that can be recycled (no glitter). I buy for 2 daughters SIL, 2 granddaughters ( my only grandchildren ) 2 godchildren , 4 friends and 2 neighbours children. I don’t mind and like finding nice things for everyone. Not got huge amount of money but spread buying out so have already started. Immediate family make lists so anything we choose will be liked, lists long enough to be a surprise as nobody would get everything . We love Christmas and go a bit mad!

glammanana Fri 27-Sep-19 12:19:57

Gift bags of various sizes reused every year then brought back home when the gifts have been given out at the relivant house's,they get folded and put back in the case until next year.

jura2 Fri 27-Sep-19 12:26:45

Presents for kids only - time to stop the massive consumerism of Christmas.

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 13:20:31

I dont find that its family that are the problem. Its all the other stuff:

The boxes of biscuits and bottles of wine that are "thank you" "tips".
Like the secretaries at work, business associates, babysitters who turn up with trinkets for the kids and you have to reociprocate.

I dont MIND chosing thoughtful gifts for people I love, its all the tat for associates. You cant be the only one not chipping in at work etc. Its all the swapping of boxes of biscuits/sweets/wine, every time you go to someones house at Christmas or neighbours pop round with a load of christmas santas for your kids, then you have to get christmas santas for THEIR kids!

Family and close friends: no problem! You can do secret santa or say no adult gifts or swap meaningful gifts

But good god! All the biscuit/wine swapping! Eugh!

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 13:21:44

" chocolate santas"

notanan2 Fri 27-Sep-19 13:24:53

Because of our business there are quite a few people that we really do HAVE to thank with a gift at Christmas and it would just be bad business not to.

Yes that goes on the business books
But it can feel like I buy more for people like that than I do for loved ones!

Davida1968 Fri 27-Sep-19 13:36:19

Paper - mostly saved from last year.
Gifts (for a small family): for adults - small items only - mostly charity-shop purchased, (i.e. second-hand) if possible. Or maybe some (modest) edible treats.
For overseas DS & DiL: a "t-shirt type" clothing item each (sustainable cotton if possible). For 2 x DGC, something special that they have wanted, or maybe cash! (Plus a few small items, as in the adult's gifts.) For DH & me - we do each other a little stocking with a few small gifts, like the adults. Gifts for friends - no longer do these, because we've agreed with the friends to give to charity instead.

Lilylaundry Fri 27-Sep-19 13:46:53

Thanks everyone for your views and actions this Christmas. I can just picture my family's faces if I turned up with umpteen presents wrapped in a red top!

Maybe the regional newspaper paper will be a better bet but there again .....

tanith Fri 27-Sep-19 13:55:35

We do No 4 have done for years although we recently started a Secret Santa for the adults which is working well with a limited amount everyone gets a good present.

Trouble is now my GC have started having babies the list of under 18s is growing all the time ?

rosecarmel Fri 27-Sep-19 15:14:14

Oddly enough, the local recycle center will not accept giftwrap of any kind-

paddyann Fri 27-Sep-19 15:17:23

I bought brown paper with printed reindeer on it last January,everything should be wrapped and ready to go by 1st of November,then I can concentrate on the 10 cakes that I'll help the GD's to decorate although I may just do my own as their skills have come on in leaps and bounds this year

.Christmas day will be here as my daughter is too sick to even think about it .Might be 20 for dinner maybe more as we always ask anyone who hasn't family to go to to join us.I love Christmas ..even with 25 to buy for,I do collect all year though so I'm organised

Namsnanny Fri 27-Sep-19 15:17:50

Well, I let you off Lilylaundry it’s nearly October!
And you’ve reminded me that last c———-s I promised myself to get started early and MAKE as many c———-s goodies myself...starting with the wrapping paper!!! smile

Katek Fri 27-Sep-19 15:25:19

Christmas gift bags tied with ribbon-collected and reused each year. Initial outlay was about £15 on Amazon for 40 bags - now on year 5!