Gransnet forums

Chat

Family Greetings cards

(104 Posts)
DanniRae Sat 05-Oct-19 17:52:29

Running out of storage space I have spent all afternoon sorting through and getting rid of all my Adult children's greeting cards to me through the years - Birthday Cards......Christmas Cards......Mother's Day Cards.
It was a difficult decision but, realistically, whose going to interested in them when I am gone?
Has anyone else saved all their children's cards to them?

notanan2 Sat 05-Oct-19 17:57:56

Nope I barely display em. Read em and bin em.

Norah Sat 05-Oct-19 17:59:07

Bin.

notanan2 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:02:00

And on the flip side, I dont expect any cards I send to be kept. They function to convey a message then their job is done

Oopsminty Sat 05-Oct-19 18:04:35

Got hundreds in a deep drawer. Got them from my grandparents home as well. And a Great Aunts. Madness. But I can't bin them

Maggiemaybe Sat 05-Oct-19 18:08:23

Yes, I have, DanniRae. I really do need to tackle my attachment issues. grin

Sara65 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:17:13

No never kept anything like that, I appreciate them when I receive them, then after a few days they go in the recycling!

tanith Sat 05-Oct-19 18:33:03

I have a box of recent ones but I really must bite the bullet.

Harris27 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:35:13

Yes especially Mother’s Day cards and birthday cards from my sons.

Coolgran65 Sat 05-Oct-19 19:25:37

I have kept some where there was a message that particularly touched me. Especially a letter my son sort to me after his wedding. Could never bin that.

Nico97 Sat 05-Oct-19 19:53:50

Yes indeed - currently standing at forty years worth of birthday, Christmas, anniversary, mothers and father's Day cards ! shock shock blush

EllanVannin Sat 05-Oct-19 20:11:41

Stacks of them---going back 29 years ! I had ideas of buying scrap books for my GGC to cut out the flowers and animals etc from the cards---some of which are beautiful and making stories from the pictures like I did as a child. Some hope !

It feels like a betrayal to throw them out. Daft I know but that's me.

grannyticktock Sat 05-Oct-19 21:12:34

Unless you take an active enjoyment in looking at them, for goodness' sake put them in the recycling! When I cleared my step-mum's house after she died, I kept finding boxes and folders of old greetings cards. Getting rid of them was just another chore for the family - one of many we could have been spared if she'd done a bit more decluttering. It would never occur to me to keep greetings cards for more than a couple of weeks after the event in question, apart from a few special or handmade ones. A birthday card is for your birthday, not for life!

MissAdventure Sat 05-Oct-19 21:23:25

Mine go out in the recycling a couple of days after my birthday.

I do have some mixed in with the rubbish under my bed, but that is in the process of being sorted.

MiniMoon Sat 05-Oct-19 23:26:33

I keep very few. I have kept one or two 21st birthday cards, just for sentimental reasons.
I put birthday and Christmas cards up, but the birthday cards go into the recycling after about 5-7 days.
Same with the Christmas cards, they go in the bin at 12th night.

grannyqueenie Sat 05-Oct-19 23:54:05

Oh dear I'm beyond hope! I have cards for all sorts of occasions, masses of then going back to 1968 (actually earlier than that as I've some my mum kept!), they're a piece of social history and they're going nowhere! My children all know they’re there and as I’m otherwise fairly disciplined in what I hang on to I don’t think it will be a huge burden to them.

Chestnut Sun 06-Oct-19 00:03:03

I have quite a few including some old ones, even from the 1950s. I am going to sort them, but there are some really beautiful ones. I'm telling my children not to send such nice cards in future as they are too good to throw out! Let's stick to cheap ones as you have no problem getting rid of them.

Calendargirl Sun 06-Oct-19 00:11:48

Used to keep all the ones from husband and children, but decided this was madness. So binned a lot of them, just keep a few special ones. DH and I give each other birthday and anniversary cards from years gone by, just keep half a dozen of each and rotate them. Haven’t bought Christmas cards for each other for donkeys years, and other Christmas cards are recycled.
Think it’s easier because cards can be recycled now whereas years ago they couldn’t and it seemed wasteful to just chuck them.

BradfordLass72 Sun 06-Oct-19 01:02:36

Judging by the interest shown in Victorian cards; many in museums around the world; I'd say todays will be very interesting indeed if your descendants keep them and pass them on.

agnurse Sun 06-Oct-19 02:18:43

I just keep very sentimental cards - the first card my husband gave me, which was a Valentine's card he gave me the day we met in person, the cards we were given for our wedding, which will go into our wedding album, Mother's Day things my kid made for me in primary school, and the very last Christmas card I ever received from my late grandfather, written likely just days before he died or even the day of (he died right after Christmas a few years ago). Everything else I toss after the event.

BBbevan Sun 06-Oct-19 05:52:38

I have saved only the cards which were hand made . Some of them are so wonderful and I could never bin them. They will probably cause a tear when I have gone .

Willow500 Sun 06-Oct-19 06:11:38

Oh heck that's me! I have my own birth cards and even my mum's 21st cards which date back to 1941. When we cleared their house I found all the cards I'd made her over the years too so it must be an inherited trait grin I do periodically clear out more recent ones though.

Nortsat46 Sun 06-Oct-19 07:30:05

Oh dear, I can't throw mine away either.
I have all the cards received from my partner, 44 years worth, plus those from friends, family and the nice ones which are too lovely to dispose of ...
Too sentimental
I love sending and receiving cards ...

Brunette10 Sun 06-Oct-19 07:44:03

Yes I have. We have one daughter and I have kept all her cards to both DH and myself for the last 30 years. I know what you mean about who is going to be interested in them but I hope when I'm not here it brings memories back to DD and to her childhood. I just can't bring myself to dispose of.

Blinko Sun 06-Oct-19 07:58:27

I keep my cards for a year, then when sorting the fresh lot the following year, I bin last year's. I have kept some special ones, but not years and years worth, FHS!

Daisymae Sun 06-Oct-19 08:34:16

Yes, have recycled most of them. Just keep them from the past year. I think of the poor person who is going to have to go through this stuff at some point.

BlueSapphire Sun 06-Oct-19 08:44:24

Oh dear, I have a large plastic storage boxful! I occasionally go through them and get rid of a few, but then I feel so guilty.

I have my 21st birthday cards, cards sent on our engagement and wedding and when we had the children. Mothers Day cards from the children, anniversary and Valentine's cards.

I simply can't bin anything that late DH gave me, they are so precious now. I expect DS and DD will look through them when I'm gone and then get rid of them.

Jeanlizzie Sun 06-Oct-19 09:56:54

Goodness yes but I think I'm on the slippery slope to been a hoarder , I have a card that was sent to my grandmother on her 1st birthday , my christening cards from far too long ago, and all the cards from DD , who I doubt will be interested in any of them , apart from her great grandmas as she was very very close to her, but I look at my spare bedroom sometime and panic about the stuff that's been saved over the years by me and my mother
My DH on the other hand is ruthless and doesn't hoard anything just as well really x

CarlyD7 Sun 06-Oct-19 09:57:10

Can I PLEAD with you to tackle this now and not to leave it for others to sort? When my lovely Mum died she left 3 large carrier bags FULL of cards going back 60+ years. I put aside a shoebox to just keep a few dozen special ones) and then had to find homes for the rest. I donated one lot to a lady who uses them to make handmade cards; another to a local charity who does the same (check out your council's website for recycling - they may have some listed). Another lot went to a local craft group and the rest went into recycling. (Note; I kept some of the very old ones and intend to donate them to a local museum if I can find one!) The whole task took me well over a week (not to mention the tears shed when I was going through them and couldn't stop myself reading the messages) and it was so tiring (and that was in addition to everything-else she'd hoarded. I was exhausted doing it all). Please don't do this to someone that you love but start sorting now. (Maybe ask your kids if they would like some of them e.g. the ones they sent to you?)

nettyandmasey Sun 06-Oct-19 09:59:25

I keep the family ones but the following year through the previous years away. That way I will always have the last card someone sent me.

Rosina Sun 06-Oct-19 10:00:49

I kept every card that had been sent to my children while they were still living at home; not only their birthdays, but also cards sent to us when they were born, christening cards, the whole works. Somehow I didn't feel I could throw them away, both through sentimentality, and the fact that they weren't mine.. They were stored in individual bags, and when we moved house and the children came to help they binned the cards without a second look. I have to do the same now; they stay on display for a week and then out they go. So true Daisymae one day someone will have enough to sort out without a hundredweight of greeting cards.

Crazygran Sun 06-Oct-19 10:06:42

When my dear Mother died I found every card the family had ever been given !!!
I
Kept a few of the older style eg wedding cards from 1947 , my birthday cards etc from 1950s but binned the rest .
Don’t want my son to have to do the same thing as it’s hard enough when you lose a loved one.
Be brave and get rid .

Amry64 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:06:49

I treasure cards and keep some as they bring me pleasure to know that someone has taken time to think of me. Especially cards from people no longer with us. My late husband, grandma, mum, sister and all - in their handwriting. I probably will dispose of them before I go, as my sons have said they will "get a skip" to put all my stuff in! Not a happy thought. hmm

DanniRae Sun 06-Oct-19 10:07:54

I have kept all my cards for the births of my 3 children and the "Congratulations" cards for becoming grandparents! (Our first grandchild - born in May this year)
I must have been a strange child because I also have kept lots of my birthday cards from when I was little - mainly age 11!
I have lots of little notes and letters from my 2nd daughter - which made me cry when I read them again - such sweet and loving words! Letters home from my children's school journeys.
I have newspapers from important events - Diana's death...the Twin Towers disaster etc which might interest my family in years to come - so you can maybe see why I have cleared out bags and bags of greetings cards.

CedarC Sun 06-Oct-19 10:17:02

I've got all the cards from my wedding day,32 years ago. My husband died in June and I just can't get rid of them,yet I know they will probably be thrown out when I die.All other cards get binned after a week,but now I'm wishing I had kept some of the cards he sent to me,he always chose such lovely words.Feeling sad this morning.

TATT Sun 06-Oct-19 10:17:21

I keep them as something in me feels that it’s some kind of betrayal if I don’t. I keep one’s from my Mum, too but I know that neither of my kids keep the cards I send them. Don’t know whether my Mum keeps mine or not. I never seek them out to look at them later!

Fabulous50s Sun 06-Oct-19 10:18:47

I have recently recycled all hoarded greetings cards some going back to childhood - felt less “brutal” than binning them. I did save one card from each of my grandparents just to remember their writing.
Next project is to dispose of fifty three years of diaries. Plan to skim read through over a few afternoons, shudder at what was so important to me in my teens and condense any “big deals” / events into notebook which in a few years I will let go of too.
I go to so many vintage fairs where there are piles of photographs, postcards, letters etc that have been carefully saved for so long - for what?

Laurensnan Sun 06-Oct-19 10:22:59

I cleared out my mum and dad's bungalow. They were in their 90's. Dad had just died and mum has dementia so was moved to a carer home. In a box there was every card they had sent to each other for over 50 years. That's 2 anniversary cards, 2 birthday cards and 2 Xmas cards pet year. So I now have a box of around 300 cards! I feel I can't throw them but then I'll be just putting them in a box for my children to sort one day. I have some of the cards my children have sent me as kids and a few of them when they are adults (and now have grandkids ones). They don't amount to a huge about though which I feel it's fine to keep. But as for 300 cards over 50 years , it's put me in an awful position at what to do with them. So i'd say keep a few but not all of them.

Wennz Sun 06-Oct-19 10:29:03

I am a bit of a hoarder so keep hand made ones, cards from Grandhldren etc, cards from major birthdays. They bring back lots of memories when I look back through them.
My MIL kept my DH's first birthday cards , after she died they came back to my DH and the whole family were interested in looking at them, such different styles from today so from the historical aspect they will be interesting, depends on how many though. smile

PenJK50 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:49:27

I’m a hoarder as we’re both my parents, so I inherited their sentimental cards to add to my already ridiculously large collection! I’m sure my children won’t be interested in them, but you never know - I won’t be there to get upset.

Nannan2 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:50:15

I do save GC cards.& any special ones from my own children through the years.smile

Theoddbird Sun 06-Oct-19 10:55:17

When I bought my boat to live on I had to seriously downsize. I had three big plastic boxes...one for each of my adult children. All the cards and drawings etc belonging to each of them was put in their box. Was then up to them what they did with them. Decision was not mine...result

Nannan2 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:56:32

Yes they might enjoy looking back through them,but i doubt they will keep them,maybe the girls will,one or two from them for memories,but most ive kept will be recycled i guess.( yes GN's,you all mean,you recycle them,not bin them!)grin

Magpie1959 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:57:01

My friend is a terrible hoarder, along with everything else she hoarded, she used to keep every single card she ever received for herself and her children. Finally her loft was so crammed with 'stuff' the ceiling below started to sag and she was in danger of being buried under it all when it fell through!
She had to get ruthless so she doesn't keep new cards any more and has restricted herself to only keeping one special card per person.
She and her husband also keep and resend their Christmas and birthday cards to each other - just adding the current date each year. Quite a nice idea I think, they are up to five years now.
As she says, the sentiments in the card are just as valid now as the day it was first sent.

Nannan2 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:58:46

Oh thats a brilliant idea Theoddbird! I might just do that.wink

whywhywhy Sun 06-Oct-19 11:01:50

I've kept loads! Reading this has made me think though and it's not fair to leave them for others to sort later. I need to tackle them soon....

MBM Sun 06-Oct-19 11:03:32

I have saved all my daughters cards and l thought l would never throw them away but sadly now they just bring me heartache.
We have always been close , phone or text each other every day until she divorced and found a new partner
( before her divorce came through) the divorce was amicable
He took complete control of her life, the phone calls dwindled as did the texts and now nothing.
Divorce came through, we now have no contact at all .
I’ve been so near a breakdown, it’s as though he has taken over her Life,
She sent a text to my husband saying she never wants to see or hear from us again,
Hard to believe l know but there was no argument nothing happened.
I have now found out she has told a lot of lies and l can’t defend myself. We have no other close family .
My hubby is trying to stay strong for me but it’s so hard.
I sorted some of her cards a moth ago the last one she sent said

Mum if l am half the Mum to my boys as you have been to me l will be a wonderful Mum.
She is now trying to stop us having contact with our grandsons making threats to her ex if he lets them see us.
I don’t know if l should destroy them or keep them, to read them breaks my heart .
I’m not sure what to do .

srn63 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:03:37

I never send cards or expect to receive them, I think they are a complete waste of money. I always ring or visit or have a meet up on some one's birthday or other celebration to wish them the best and have a catch up and usually get the same back, which I think is worth a hundred cards.

Caro57 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:17:48

Only very special ones but am really trying to de-clutter............one of us has to 😆

DanniRae Sun 06-Oct-19 11:22:35

Really srn63? I am afraid I totally disagree. I LOVE getting cards - to be honest I'd rather have a card on my Birthday than a present. I so enjoy reading all my cards - my last Birthday card from my son had printed on the front "MUM you're Bloody Amazing" - "sorry for swearing!" Trust me when I later spoke to him - we all gather here on Birthdays for a takeaway (I have 2 daughters as well and their partners) - he was never going to say that to my face. I don't mind saying that I have kept that card and take a look at it often.

nipsmum Sun 06-Oct-19 11:29:26

I have just read this post. I have 2 small drawers in the table full of old greetings cards. I Wii put them in the bin as soon as I have finished posting this. They are no use to anyone. My daughters are not sentimental and certainly won't want to look at them when I'm gone. I would say get rid of them they are of no interest to the modern generation, who probably don't know the people who sent them in the first place. Go , do it now.

GabriellaG54 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:35:56

I keep the ones from my children up until they married.
If I threw the cards away it would feel as if I was discarding a part of them and their care in making/choosing them.
Some of them are beautiful with hand drawn pictures depicting events in our lives or things I like.
No...I could never part with any of them, not for any amount of money.

gilld69 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:38:11

I keep them and those off my grandkids my hubby and my parents . I l8ve coming across them , when im gone they can bin them but they still bring me joy x

Anthea1948 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:38:37

When we downsized a few years ago, I had to get rid of a lot of cards, but I still have some in scrap books, even though I know they'll be thrown away when I go, and I have no problem with that. I've told our daughter that just because some items mattered to me I know she won't have the same attachment and she's free to get rid of everything without feeling guilty. But I still get pleasure from browsing through those scrap books of cards occasionally, so they're staying.

Zsarina Sun 06-Oct-19 11:46:42

Schools would be glad of them ..Especially the pictures

TashHag Sun 06-Oct-19 11:48:48

Today 09:57 CarlyD7

Can I PLEAD with you to tackle this now and not to leave it for others to sort? ... The whole task took me well over a week (not to mention the tears shed when I was going through them and couldn't stop myself reading the messages) and it was so tiring... etc

I’ve enjoyed looking at old cards and letters left by loved ones. It only takes a minute to throw what you don’t want to sort when you’ve had enough, or if you don’t want to look at all. No need for all this pleading and hand wringing. Jeez.

Nanny41 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:59:05

I have saved my Wedding cards, my 21st Birthday cards,Birthday cards when my children were born, but apart from that I have telegrams my mum saved, when I was born, thats going a long way back,I think my Daughter will apreciate them, the others will be re cycled I hope!

Jillybird Sun 06-Oct-19 11:59:15

Fellow hoarder here- I've got hundreds... every so often I get them all out and read them through intending to chuck, then pack them up and keep them... next time...

Jane10 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:59:28

There are some I can't part with. Just birthday/anniversary/Christmas cards with signatures only I can happily chuck but longer, more personal ones or hand drawn ones I really can't bring myself to.
Clearing my parents' house, I found the letters and cards sent after Dad died. They were absolutely beautiful. People, family and patients wrote such lovely letters of their memories of Dad that I couldn't possibly throw them out. Somehow they were so personal. I can't explain how it makes me feel. I'm looking at the bulging file they're in now!

polnan Sun 06-Oct-19 12:14:48

all those poor trees....

knspol Sun 06-Oct-19 12:17:00

Always kept all cards etc from DS going back to things he made at school but then on one house move some boxes went astray and one of them contained the cards. I was heartbroken at the time but since then I have regularly cleared out the new pile. Like you say who would want them when I'm gone?

Scentia Sun 06-Oct-19 12:17:27

I keep them all. When my FiL moved into a NZh last year we cleared his stuff and found piles of cards his late wife had saved from the children and GC it was so lovey reading them to my FiL and he was welling up at some cards from his late wife. I said “shall we keep them in a box for you to look at FiL?” He looked at me and said “No, bin ‘um, I can’t be doing with clutter!!!” I have them alongside mine now for my DD to sort when I’m gone😂😂😂

Bonnibiker795 Sun 06-Oct-19 12:19:47

bin them all they've don there job now recycle them

jaylucy Sun 06-Oct-19 12:21:08

I think I have all of my Mothers Day cards, especially the ones that he made me when he was little. I also kept all of the cards that were sent when he was born and put them in a scrapbook. Many of those that sent them are no longer with us so the messages are very special as he was my 3rd time lucky baby - I lost 2 before him.
Christmas cards go for recycling as do birthday cards.

fizzers Sun 06-Oct-19 12:53:29

I have kept a lot of things, not just cards but other 'sentimental' bits and pieces, but after my mother passed away at Christmas time we had to clear her old house ( it was council and they wanted it back!) very quickly, the amount of junk she had collected was horrendous, every bill she had even gotten from the year dot! I swore blind my daughter would never have to go through what we did, so am sorting stuff bit by bit and getting rid

Pollyanna2 Sun 06-Oct-19 13:03:44

I needed the space so sorted through a great pile of cards I'd kept over the years. Got rid of a lot but kept some gems and made a couple of large collages with them.

Bugbabe2019 Sun 06-Oct-19 13:16:53

I keep one or two special ones and a few of the things they made in school. I’ve binned the rest!

newnanny Sun 06-Oct-19 13:19:25

I keep the most recent cards from husband and children. Each year I get a new one I throw away the card form previous year. I also still have the last birthday card my Mum sent to me before she died which I actually put up with my other cards on each birthday.

glammanana Sun 06-Oct-19 14:13:05

I have kept all the cards from when my DCs where born along with their nametags/wedding cards and special anniversary cards.
Usually I keep birthday cards up for a week or so then throw them away unless they are handmade from my DGs such as I received this year from my little GGD aged 3yrs.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 06-Oct-19 14:13:41

I used to keep that sort of thing, but last time we moved I destroyed them, realising that I never looked at them, no-one will want them after my death, and honestly, I don't care for the thought of strangers going through that sort of thing.

The messages that meant something are stored in our memories, after all.

Mapleleaf Sun 06-Oct-19 14:15:01

I've got maybe 4 or 5 sentimental ones, but otherwise, out they go. With regards to other items, I'm not the best at de-cluttering generally, but every so often, I'll have a purge, and feel so much better for doing so! 😁

Llamedos13 Sun 06-Oct-19 14:22:36

I keep the cards that made me double over laughing,( you know who you are Edinburgh sister!)

I’ll occasionally look at them and laugh all over again.😂

Cabbie21 Sun 06-Oct-19 14:46:31

I had to get rid of a lot when we moved, and from time to time I get rid of a bit more, but I still have some of the more special ones, especially those sent when my parents died, those my children and grandchildren made me etc.
I am on the verge of another big clear out as I move my stuff into the small bedroom. What doesn’t fit will have to go. Sad, but realistic, as I know my children will just chuck everything away.

Incidentally , cards with glitter on should not go in the recycling!

Saggi Sun 06-Oct-19 15:35:34

Two days max.....then bin. Have kept the last one my mum sent me....can’t seem to bin that one yet! It’s been 12 years.

trendygran Sun 06-Oct-19 15:44:19

I keep cards for a year ,whatever they are and then recycle them. I don’t have room to hang on to them ,since having to downsize after losing my DH ,which happens to be 11 years today.

TheReadingRoom Sun 06-Oct-19 15:56:50

This thread has reminded me that I have 3-4 shoe boxes full of old greetings cards from over the years. I also have a similar amount of old photographs...... We're now in our mid-60s and with both sons living permanently outside the UK better get a move on and get rid of them [besides emptying the loft!

CBBL Sun 06-Oct-19 16:41:51

Sadly, I am a hoarder too! I have cards from my 21st Birthday (I'm 72) and have kept cards from people long deceased, such as my own grandmother, and my late husband. Yes. I really must throw them away, as the relatives remaining in my family don't even remember most of the people who sent these cards. I'm the eldest, and I have a sister who is fourteen years younger than me. My granddaughter never met my parents, Aunts, Uncles etc. all of whom are "gone before", as indeed is her own father.

YorkieGothGirl Sun 06-Oct-19 16:57:19

My late dad almost always left the card writing to my mum. Going through mountains of old cards at my mum's recently I found a birthday card he had sent to me, so a rare find! Also came across a Christmas card my lovely gran had sent to me in the 1970s - the decade she passed away. So both very special cards and will never be thrown away by me but will be destined for the bin one day. I've taken to scanning the greeting cards I want to 'keep'.

myfiloli Sun 06-Oct-19 17:15:57

I showed my visiting 32-year son a Mother's day "card" he made on a folded paper when he was in high school. The protestation (against being "monitored") and the faith in parental loving intention came through on the paper that made us both laugh and moved. I am glad I kept this card to show him the joy child brings. Hint, hint,,, get married and enjoy what Ihave ! Other than this I totally agree that cards should be recycled,

optimist Sun 06-Oct-19 17:29:33

No. I enjoy the children and the grandchildren now but dont save cards etc from the past. Live in the moment!

Witzend Sun 06-Oct-19 17:53:57

I have a lot of Valentine's cards sent by my father (died 1989) to my mother (died 2015 aged 97). She had kept them so,long, I can't bring myself to bin them.
I also 'inherited', still in its original box, the 'lucky horseshoe' thing she carried on her wedding day in 1939.

I'm not generally a hoarder at all - we've chucked loads of stuff in the past few years - but these are things dds will have to bin one day.

Kayjay Sun 06-Oct-19 18:07:08

If you have a scanner, why don't you scan them and store on your computer? It takes time, but think of all that drawer space you save.

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 18:53:42

I keep a few special ones but I bin 95% of them. I’m largely lacking in sentimental attachment, I can’t decide if it’s a good or a bad thing!

Scrappydo Sun 06-Oct-19 18:54:38

I keep immediate family cards, the rest I make into postcards to use for competitions I enter.

sodapop Sun 06-Oct-19 19:00:26

Me too SirChenjin I don't have sentimental attachment to cards either. It's nice to receive them for the occasion then time for them to go.

TyneAngel Sun 06-Oct-19 19:14:04

I have boxes full, and get one of them down from the loft every now and then for a bit of nostalgia (and a little mixed-emotions cry), but this thread has really made me think and I'm going to talk to my children about this and ask them what they'd like me to do. Thanks girls.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 06-Oct-19 19:27:42

I bin about 99% of my cards. These days Mr B and I don't bother sending cards to each other, just a hug and a kiss. Means much more.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Oct-19 19:28:15

dannierae I m with you all the way the card means as.much or more than the present I have the last card my dad wrote me which was exactly 2 weeks before he died he got my daughter to buy it He was so very ill but his beautiful handwriting was still as good as ever it’s on my bedroom wall and brings tears to my eyes now just thinking if it
I have kept all the cards from my children and a few that have been made from special friends
I make all my Christmas cards and a few friends have told me they always keep mine

GeorgyGirl Sun 06-Oct-19 20:13:53

I too always keep special cards and have boxes and boxes full of them, taking space up I know, but I cannot part with them, there is something very special about them, having been chosen specially for us. I do look at them from time to time and they bring pleasure. You never know, your family might look at them and realise how much they meant to you and will bring back memories. Go with your gut instinct and don't worry about what will become of them, just enjoy them and keep them if you want them.

sharon103 Sun 06-Oct-19 21:02:48

I thought I was the only one with a mountain of old cards and sentiments
All were in my drawers and wardrobes until a few months ago in bags and decided to box them all up and got one of my sons to put them in the loft. I doubt I will ever see them again. Reminiscing the good ole days mad me sad.
I have two birthday cards from mum and dad from when I was about 8 years old. Birthday cards and Christmas cards going back to the early 70's but just from my immediate family and children. Valentines cards from my ex husband from 1971 onward. Notes on scraps of paper that he sent me. Wedding cards and the ribbons from our wedding cake. Children's birth cards, the clothes they wore when we bought them home from hospital. Wristbands. Daughters first pink dummy. Even the tin of talc I had to put on the belly button cord when I came home.
Pictures, cards and pottery they made at infants and junior school.
School reports of mine and children's and yes, even a few of their first teeth that fell out and supposedly went to the tooth fairy. Each in a little white paper bag and named.
Newspapers of when Elvis, John Lennon, Michael Jackson and Princess Diana died.
Anyone remember having to learn to play a recorder in senior school but buy your own. Mine's in the loft in the box and I've written my name and the year 1966. Can you imagine what my family and neighbours went through grin
There's a teddy bear that belongs to my sister from 1960. She doesn't want it but I can't throw it away. The complete set of Enid Blyton 'Famous Five' books. I've got as she doesn't want them either. I can't let them go as our mum personalised them.
I dare say there's Uncle Tom Cobley and all among that lot and there it will stay. I'm sure my daughter will want some of it to keep but the lads would bin it.
P.S, this years cards so far are in a carrier bag in a drawer. smile.

SalsaQueen Sun 06-Oct-19 21:37:19

I've got cards from my 2 sons and my grandchildren, for the last 10 years. Eldest son always writes such lovely words in his. I probably ought to get rid of some, but don't like to. I was 60 in April, but I'll certainly keep all those.

GabriellaG54 Sun 06-Oct-19 22:58:31

sharon103
Your post made me smile.
I too have my first and only recorder which is in 2 parts. I never did get the hang of playing it. Still got my old threadbare teddy (Rupert) and a tiny glove belonging to one of my sons.
I don't think men are nearly as sentimental as we mums are.
Their 'rubbish' is our treasure.

sharon103 Mon 07-Oct-19 00:29:53

Thank you GabriellaG54
Yes I did learn to play tunes on it. We all had to.
So glad that music lessons were abolished by the time my three children went to senior school. If they had had to play a recorder I'd have told them to take it and toot toot down the park. grin

Grandy2 Mon 07-Oct-19 01:05:22

Yep, i'm a hoarder of special cards. I've got every birthday, Christmas and mother's day card my son and daughter have ever given me (now 33 and 30) Could never throw the early handmade ones away or indeed those they've chosen over the years. And its getting even more difficult now my little granddaughters have started making Grandy's cards.

FunOma Mon 07-Oct-19 04:58:06

I only keep the ones that I find appealing/special or that have an interesting message in them. I have saved lots of letters from the past and it is neat to take time to read some of them; I mean they go back to the days before email! Typed with a typewriter or handwritten smile Especially the envelopes with stamps are neat to see. I'm not sure yet what I can do with them, but it seems a shame to throw meaningful correspondence away.

Callistemon Mon 07-Oct-19 05:26:40

I have a large storage box - my 'memory box' with some of the DC's and DGC's cards and treasures which they made for me over the years, some special cards but I have thrown a lot out recently.

I suggested to DH that we keep ours to each other and re-send them every Christmas.

I suppose you could make a scrapbook of the nicest or most special ones.

Apricity Mon 07-Oct-19 08:55:30

Other than a very few, very special cards from very special people the answer is no one. As another hoarder I really struggle with this but having had to sort through mountains of my parents stuff I know the answer. Start sorting and discarding now. Stern words to self on this matter!!!

The other stuff that no one, not even your children are or will ever be the slightest bit interested in are the thousands of holiday photos and travel movies you may have accumulated. Other people's old holiday snaps are just not interesting to anyone else. You were there, they weren't. With the relatively rare exceptions of photos that are of historical interest or photos with very particular or very loved people in them they are now just rubbish.

And what to do with the hundreds of miles/kms of unlabelled reels of parents holiday/travel home movies- she asks herself, followed by weary sighs!!!!

DanniRae Mon 07-Oct-19 09:09:51

I have the beautiful, lacy shawl that my darling mum made for my daughter - her first grandchild. All three of my children wore it their Christenings and next January my precious grandson is going to wear it to his smile

harrigran Mon 07-Oct-19 09:39:59

I have 56 years of greetings cards in boxes, they are in the attic which I am unable to reach and nobody else fit enough to scale a ladder, never mind.

GillJames Mon 07-Oct-19 13:30:06

One daughter makes her own and the other daughter, who is very artistic and often sends a small painting or sketch. I tend to want to keep those. When they sort thought my things after I've gone at least they'll know I appreciated their efforts - and then they'll bin them! I'm getting rid of loads of other things - old letters etc. so they won't have too much to do!