Gransnet forums

Chat

Family Greetings cards

(104 Posts)
DanniRae Sat 05-Oct-19 17:52:29

Running out of storage space I have spent all afternoon sorting through and getting rid of all my Adult children's greeting cards to me through the years - Birthday Cards......Christmas Cards......Mother's Day Cards.
It was a difficult decision but, realistically, whose going to interested in them when I am gone?
Has anyone else saved all their children's cards to them?

notanan2 Sat 05-Oct-19 17:57:56

Nope I barely display em. Read em and bin em.

Norah Sat 05-Oct-19 17:59:07

Bin.

notanan2 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:02:00

And on the flip side, I dont expect any cards I send to be kept. They function to convey a message then their job is done

Oopsminty Sat 05-Oct-19 18:04:35

Got hundreds in a deep drawer. Got them from my grandparents home as well. And a Great Aunts. Madness. But I can't bin them

Maggiemaybe Sat 05-Oct-19 18:08:23

Yes, I have, DanniRae. I really do need to tackle my attachment issues. grin

Sara65 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:17:13

No never kept anything like that, I appreciate them when I receive them, then after a few days they go in the recycling!

tanith Sat 05-Oct-19 18:33:03

I have a box of recent ones but I really must bite the bullet.

Harris27 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:35:13

Yes especially Mother’s Day cards and birthday cards from my sons.

Coolgran65 Sat 05-Oct-19 19:25:37

I have kept some where there was a message that particularly touched me. Especially a letter my son sort to me after his wedding. Could never bin that.

Nico97 Sat 05-Oct-19 19:53:50

Yes indeed - currently standing at forty years worth of birthday, Christmas, anniversary, mothers and father's Day cards ! shock shock blush

EllanVannin Sat 05-Oct-19 20:11:41

Stacks of them---going back 29 years ! I had ideas of buying scrap books for my GGC to cut out the flowers and animals etc from the cards---some of which are beautiful and making stories from the pictures like I did as a child. Some hope !

It feels like a betrayal to throw them out. Daft I know but that's me.

grannyticktock Sat 05-Oct-19 21:12:34

Unless you take an active enjoyment in looking at them, for goodness' sake put them in the recycling! When I cleared my step-mum's house after she died, I kept finding boxes and folders of old greetings cards. Getting rid of them was just another chore for the family - one of many we could have been spared if she'd done a bit more decluttering. It would never occur to me to keep greetings cards for more than a couple of weeks after the event in question, apart from a few special or handmade ones. A birthday card is for your birthday, not for life!

MissAdventure Sat 05-Oct-19 21:23:25

Mine go out in the recycling a couple of days after my birthday.

I do have some mixed in with the rubbish under my bed, but that is in the process of being sorted.

MiniMoon Sat 05-Oct-19 23:26:33

I keep very few. I have kept one or two 21st birthday cards, just for sentimental reasons.
I put birthday and Christmas cards up, but the birthday cards go into the recycling after about 5-7 days.
Same with the Christmas cards, they go in the bin at 12th night.

grannyqueenie Sat 05-Oct-19 23:54:05

Oh dear I'm beyond hope! I have cards for all sorts of occasions, masses of then going back to 1968 (actually earlier than that as I've some my mum kept!), they're a piece of social history and they're going nowhere! My children all know they’re there and as I’m otherwise fairly disciplined in what I hang on to I don’t think it will be a huge burden to them.

Chestnut Sun 06-Oct-19 00:03:03

I have quite a few including some old ones, even from the 1950s. I am going to sort them, but there are some really beautiful ones. I'm telling my children not to send such nice cards in future as they are too good to throw out! Let's stick to cheap ones as you have no problem getting rid of them.

Calendargirl Sun 06-Oct-19 00:11:48

Used to keep all the ones from husband and children, but decided this was madness. So binned a lot of them, just keep a few special ones. DH and I give each other birthday and anniversary cards from years gone by, just keep half a dozen of each and rotate them. Haven’t bought Christmas cards for each other for donkeys years, and other Christmas cards are recycled.
Think it’s easier because cards can be recycled now whereas years ago they couldn’t and it seemed wasteful to just chuck them.

BradfordLass72 Sun 06-Oct-19 01:02:36

Judging by the interest shown in Victorian cards; many in museums around the world; I'd say todays will be very interesting indeed if your descendants keep them and pass them on.

agnurse Sun 06-Oct-19 02:18:43

I just keep very sentimental cards - the first card my husband gave me, which was a Valentine's card he gave me the day we met in person, the cards we were given for our wedding, which will go into our wedding album, Mother's Day things my kid made for me in primary school, and the very last Christmas card I ever received from my late grandfather, written likely just days before he died or even the day of (he died right after Christmas a few years ago). Everything else I toss after the event.

BBbevan Sun 06-Oct-19 05:52:38

I have saved only the cards which were hand made . Some of them are so wonderful and I could never bin them. They will probably cause a tear when I have gone .

Willow500 Sun 06-Oct-19 06:11:38

Oh heck that's me! I have my own birth cards and even my mum's 21st cards which date back to 1941. When we cleared their house I found all the cards I'd made her over the years too so it must be an inherited trait grin I do periodically clear out more recent ones though.

Nortsat46 Sun 06-Oct-19 07:30:05

Oh dear, I can't throw mine away either.
I have all the cards received from my partner, 44 years worth, plus those from friends, family and the nice ones which are too lovely to dispose of ...
Too sentimental
I love sending and receiving cards ...

Brunette10 Sun 06-Oct-19 07:44:03

Yes I have. We have one daughter and I have kept all her cards to both DH and myself for the last 30 years. I know what you mean about who is going to be interested in them but I hope when I'm not here it brings memories back to DD and to her childhood. I just can't bring myself to dispose of.

Blinko Sun 06-Oct-19 07:58:27

I keep my cards for a year, then when sorting the fresh lot the following year, I bin last year's. I have kept some special ones, but not years and years worth, FHS!