Gransnet forums

Chat

wireless society-are you having a laugh?

(53 Posts)
petunia Mon 07-Oct-19 07:34:22

So, is my house unique or does everyone have a wire drawer (or two). By wires I mean phone chargers, earphones, computer leads, camera leads, random wires whose purpose is long forgotten. And don't start me on remote controls. New ones, old ones, spare ones.....

As I sit typing this I realise that we have three drawers and two boxes of these wretched things. Periodically we have a blitz and sort through. The plan is to work out which belongs to what , discard the rubbish and label the others. It works for a while then a new one appears.

I despair. Each new device that comes into the house seems to come with a clutch of attachments and charging wires.

This week has been particularly painful as we changed our TV/broadband provider and had to buy a new printer. We now have 10 different remote controls. When did life get so complicated

dragonfly46 Mon 07-Oct-19 07:44:52

We are the same. my DH collects wires just in case but if he needs one he buys a new one so they multiply!

LullyDully Mon 07-Oct-19 08:13:17

When they get tangled up my son calls them a" snakes' wedding". They certainly seem to be able to reproduce quite successfully.

Marydoll Mon 07-Oct-19 08:23:50

When I was teaching, I was responsible for all the IT equipment in school. I had boxes and boxes of cables, kettle plugs etc, as I couldn't bear to waste anything.
All the school technicians used to come and raid the boxes, looking for obscure cables for other schools, to save them money.
However, it was an almost impossible task to separate them all!
I used to disappear and leave them too it! grin

Pittcity Mon 07-Oct-19 09:19:54

Here in Colchester there was a Cable Amnesty a few months ago. I took along a big bag of those that DH was happy to let go.
The huge donated mound was sorted and recycled. Whoever had that job deserves a medal.

I like to think that we are creating a nice home for spiders in the boxes, drawers and behind the TV where we have disused cables that are attached to the house as well as those in use!!

Luckygirl Mon 07-Oct-19 09:22:15

Yes - I too have a drawer full of charger leads - all neatly labelled I will have you know! smile

Teacheranne Mon 07-Oct-19 09:56:28

Too true! I tried to get rid of a box of cables when I moved house but somehow it must have followed me to my new house and multiplied several times!

GrandmaMoira Mon 07-Oct-19 09:59:23

I had lots of these boxes and drawers when my sons lived at home. After they left I checked if they wanted any more and chucked the rest. There is no need to keep phones from 20 years ago and leads for old chargers and other out of date technology.

Theoddbird Mon 07-Oct-19 10:18:34

When I moved last I found a massive box under my bed of all sorts of cables, controls and computer related wires. I had no idea what they were all for and as I hadn't used any of them for years. They went in the skip....

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 10:19:12

I threw away a large knotted bundle of wires, old extensions, headphones, phone wires, plugs and Lord knows what else a couple of weeks ago and what a blessed relief. It's just hard luck if there was anything needed as it was getting on my nerves and I wasn't going to sit for hours untangling. No more !

Rosina Mon 07-Oct-19 10:21:20

I can't understand why every mobile has to have its own charger - why can't the fit be univesal as it would save so much plastic waste.

Squiffy Mon 07-Oct-19 10:21:58

Ah, but you never know when they may come in handy!

Last week my H had a technical wizard here to sort out his new music system and guess what? They were missing a vital cable!

I tried (and failed miserably!) to hide my smugness as I raided the Spare Cables Bag and produced the very thing that they needed!

Of course, said bag has never before contained anything remotely useful in all the dozens of years that it's been around! This now means that I feel compelled to keep it for another hundred years Just In Case!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 07-Oct-19 10:22:44

I had a really bit sort out last month and that included the box under the spare bed with all the discs, cables etc. I jut threw out everything and haven't missed it since.

Craftycat Mon 07-Oct-19 10:29:05

MY DH has a study full on these things- I refuse to go in there except to water a plant on window ledge.
I cannot believe we actually need so many of the things & TBH I have very little idea what they are all FOR!!
I have 3 cables- one for my phone & 2 for my tablets. All tidy & out of sight in bedroom. More than enough.

H1954 Mon 07-Oct-19 10:30:00

Lovely to read something lighthearted on a gloomy Monday morning ?. The back of our tv stand resembles spaghetti junction and we also have loads of cables and connectors squirrelled away "just in case" ???

glammanana Mon 07-Oct-19 10:37:19

Same here a drawer in the shed has a large jumble of cables and controls from lord knows when some are many years old belonging to phones and techi stuff long out of date,OH is of the opinion that we will need them sometime hmm

whywhywhy Mon 07-Oct-19 10:39:43

Yes we have two large plastic boxes under the stairs which are packed with leads, plugs, chargers etc. I could scream but my youngest son and husband both say that they will be needed - one day!.x

Amagran Mon 07-Oct-19 10:44:52

Barmeyoldbat………..yet!! shock wink

pamdixon Mon 07-Oct-19 10:51:03

I seem to have random old cables, chargers, remotes in odd places all over the house! Am impressed to know that all of you keep yours in a box or a drawer - time for me to do that methinks! I can't bring myself to throw any of them away 'just in case'. My husband has so many cables on the floor by his computer that I liken those to a snake pit.....looks lethal!

travelsafar Mon 07-Oct-19 10:52:34

Every now and again my DH throws out old cables and chargers etc. Then you can be sure when he is doing something or moving something he needs the very cable he threw away!!!! smile

MamaCaz Mon 07-Oct-19 10:56:04

One end of the main kitchen worktop is taken up by these wretched chargers - there are four or five of them that are used so often that they never make it back into the drawer.

It's an untidy mess that can really bug me sometimes - it reminds me of those children's puzzles, where you have to follow the swirly, mixed-up lines to see where each one leads.
I've lost count of the times that I've supposedly put something on to charge, only to discover hours later that I've actually got this puzzle wrong, and the charger that I had switched on isn't the same one that I've connected to my phone or tablet!

jaylucy Mon 07-Oct-19 11:05:59

I bought a plastic storage box with a lid for my son to put all his wires in - they seem to multiply round the house with no help!
Instead of looking properly for a particular wire that he knows he has already, he orders another one - and so it goes on!
I have several rechargeable things - lawnmower, hedge trimmer, strimmer, vacuum cleaner, plus mobile phone, toothbrush, so all those chargers are in one box and labelled after I got fed up wondering why my strimmer wouldn't work after it had been "charging" for hours !
Whoever makes a one size fits all charger at some point, preferably without me having to replace what I already have, will deserve a medal and my everlasting thanks!!!

Patticake123 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:06:13

Petunia, you’ve made me chuckle. Yes, we have a similar situation here and I have experienced not being able to turn the TV on because I couldn’t work out which of the controls I needed. Also, wherever we’ve lived, I end up with a couple of drawers full of stuff, often enmeshed in a length of string or even knitting wool( amazing as I don’t knit) and to find anything, you haul the aforementioned string and examine the stuff trapped in the nest. And yes, I’m always going to sort it out once and for all, it’s just that ......... !

Tricia5 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:08:14

My husband also wants to keep the old replaced items as well! So old computer etc. I’m just beginning to get him to clear some stuff but he’s only doing it to save me problems ‘when he goes’. He has cancer and a limited time. So be careful what you wish for, I would keep everything old and broken that we have for things to be different.

Jaycee5 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:09:52

I had a sort out of cables a couple of weeks ago. Separated them into labelled bags, through away a few and put the rest int the bags in a box. I've already got a few loose ones on top so it is going to start again. I've got a key pile too which makes even less sense but 'you never know' so I put them back in the cupboard.