Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm trying to save our planet

(167 Posts)
nanasam Wed 09-Oct-19 12:50:51

It's really scary, the thought of our planet in danger of dying and feeling helpless.

I have therefore tried to 'do my bit' and they say if everyone does their bit it will eventually build up to a big help.

So, starting this week I have bought bio-degradable kitchen wipes, face wipes and botty wipes. I've also decided not to use cling film or food plastic bags any more, instead I've bought some silicone food covers and am re-using takeaway containers for the freezer. (yes, I know we shouldn't buy takeaways in containers but there's no other option - YET)

I'm also buying as many loose vegetables as possible, not using the bags they provide.

It may not be much but I do hope if lots of others do a bit then it will eventually make a difference.

Has anyone else got any good ideas?

Teetime Wed 09-Oct-19 13:25:21

I gave up my car.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 13:33:34

I think most of us already do quite a lot nanasam although I suppose there are always more we could do.

Without listing everything I do (and I do try very hard) I am unfortunately unable to give up my little car. It is 8 years old and a huge necessity in my life and the life of my extended family where almost every member rely on it (and me) to help them in their lives.

aggie Wed 09-Oct-19 13:58:10

I must say I never use wipes , they are not totally degradeable , I use facecloths , washeable and reuseable . Toilet wipes are one way of blocking your drains , I don't care what it says on the packet

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 14:00:23

ooops correction

There is always more we could do.
or
There are always more things we could do.

Don't want to be told off by one of the "Edmond Elephants" smile

MissAdventure Wed 09-Oct-19 14:05:30

I use a flannel for my face and bum, and then when its worn out, it goes a few more years as a floor cloth.

I'm not sure endlessly buying things helps.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 14:13:37

I don't use a cloth on my face or bum MissA shock

I use old underknickerpants as floor cloth's or worn out thread bare tea towels or old nappies or anything else really.

Septimia Wed 09-Oct-19 14:18:30

What about switching off and unplugging all those gadgets that are on 'standby' ?

I'm trying to cut down on single use plastics, I have a load of old towels that I'm going to cut down for cleaning cloths, I've given up fabric conditioner......

Has anyone tried those bamboo cloths instead of kitchen roll?

If we all do as many little things as we can, together we can make a big difference.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 14:24:58

Oh step away from my Kitchen roll.....deep breath.....wink

Won't be giving up loo roll anytime soon either.

KatyK Wed 09-Oct-19 14:25:44

I'm going to try those blocks of shampoo etc.

Bathsheba Wed 09-Oct-19 14:30:56

Get a compost bin if you have a garden. Toilet roll and kitchen roll tubes can go in, as can card (I never buy eggs in plastic cartons). All veggie peelings, egg shells, grass clippings, newspaper and loads more besides. It all turns into lovely compost which can be forked into your flowerbeds. Simples smile

Make some mesh produce bags from old net curtains (charity shops usually have some), instead of using single use plastic bags. The beauty of these is that you can put them in your fridge or vegetable basket in the bags because, being mesh, they're breathable and your veggies won't sweat and go rotten.

MiniMoon Wed 09-Oct-19 14:32:19

I'm not using cling film. I bought some beeswax wraps to use in the fridge to cover bowls and wrap cheese. I even have a large one big enough to wrap a loaf of bread.
I had words with the husband about a melon he brought home. It has come from Brazil!

GillT57 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:42:05

Re-usable bags for fruit and veg, refillable kitchen spray cleaner (dilute concentrate into sturdy re-usable spray bottle), cloths for cleaning which then go into the washing machine, seriously reduced amounts of soap powder, NO WIPES! Bars of soap instead of liquid soap in plastic bottles, all food waste into LA collected food waste bin which is then composted, timers on lamps in hall, well insulated house with zoned, timed thermostats and 90% of meals are vegetarian. It is a drop in the ocean, but if we all do something it helps.

Davida1968 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:49:29

We have a veg box delivered each week from a local farm shop. (Veggies are not wrapped and the "box" is one of the ones they get deliveries in - and we return it.) Like MiniMoon we've gone over to "bees-wax" wraps. We pass our kitchen waste (veggie) to someone who can compost & use it because we have too small a garden. DH has turned off various appliances that were on standby - especially at night, such as the microwave. Loo rolls and kitchen rolls are the "recycled paper" variety. Now using blocks of soap (like olive oil soap) instead of shower gel or hand-wash in a bottle. And environmentally-friendly washing-up liquid and laundry liquid -in re-fillable bottles... We just keep trying....

GabriellaG54 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:52:06

Yes...stop buying wipes. No botty wipes, face wipes or kitchen/other wipes.
They have unseen plastic particles which separate but never diminish.
It's a fallacy that they are recyclable. After a few millenia...possibly.
Use a flannel. 1 each for face and fanny and reusable Jcloths ( Waitrose have similar - £2.50 for 25. They go into a tub of Milton overnight, can be put in washing machine. Dry in minutes, last for months then can be shredded/cut into thin strips and dug into the soil as compost.
Many many uses.
I use them all the time for cleaning windows/glass/mirrors, washing dishes, lining bowls after washing soft fruits so they don't go mouldy, washing down paintwork, wiping toilet seat and cistern...
Wipes are damaging to the environment.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 15:02:52

I don't use wipes for the home but I do use baby wipes . Not sure if there is an alternative . No way am I going back to the top n' tail bowls I used. Yuk and not convenient at all for those with a very busy lifestyle.

I use those coloured cloths for everything and they are easy washed (assuming you have a washing machine that is working...which mine isn't at the minute) Grrrrrrr

lemongrove Wed 09-Oct-19 15:49:18

Hi Nanasam I think a good idea is to use those fold up bags you find being sold in garden centres, and always keep one in your handbag......so useful! smile
Much better than plastic bags.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Oct-19 15:50:51

friendsoftheearth.uk/plastics/wet-wipes-keeping-them-out-our-seas-and-sewers

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 16:06:23

I never flush baby wipes (I tend to wrap them with the nappy) and put them in the bin but I appreciate they have to go somewhere as does the nappy itself.

Thank you for the link MissA I notice there is a "how to" on making your own baby wipes. I never use them on her face (to wipe food etc.) as she suffers from eczema so we have to be very careful. Not promising I will switch but I will definitely give it a go. smile

MissAdventure Wed 09-Oct-19 16:21:34

Oh, I might have a go myself.

A water company van drove past last week, and on the side is said something about wipes being the single most damaging thing to the environment (I think! It drove fast and my eyes are bad)

ineedamum Wed 09-Oct-19 16:25:01

I recycled food waste- egg shells, tea bags, banana skins, vegetable peelings etc etc

However the council have stopped this service due to cost!

Daisymae Wed 09-Oct-19 16:25:48

www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/oct/09/half-century-dither-denial-climate-crisis-timeline
This article makes interesting reading. Apparently the impact of fossil fuels was predicted in the 60s. The big polluters have been covering it up ever since. While every little helps, changes must be made at national and international level. Now.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 17:04:12

But we have exchanged one problem for another by shipping in colossal amounts of Biomass from Canada to burn .

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 17:04:53

These monster ships are at sea for almost 2 months before they even enter the Tyne .

Luckygirl Wed 09-Oct-19 17:17:38

I think most of us our doing our bit in one way or another. But I feel it is a drop in the bucket, until airports stop being built, flights are decimated, manufacturers stop their packaging etc. etc. But we can but try.