Gransnet forums

Chat

As long as I can (insert as applicable!) I'm not old!

(47 Posts)
phoenix Thu 10-Oct-19 21:37:42

Evening all,

This thought came to me just now, on the sofa, in my usual position, legs crossed and tucked up, can't remember ever seeing my mother sitting like this!

Septimia Thu 10-Oct-19 21:44:40

Cut my own toenails?

The district nurse came to give my mum an 'MOT' when she reached 70. Among the questions she asked 'And how do you manage with your toenails?'

Quick as a flash, Mum said 'I bite them!'

SueDonim Thu 10-Oct-19 21:45:04

How funny you should write that! It's the anniversary of the day I broke my leg. I thought at the time that I'd never again be able to sit with my legs curled up under me, but here we are, several years later and I sit like that without even thinking about it!

So, nope, I'm not old. grin

sodapop Thu 10-Oct-19 21:45:21

I hadn't given it much thought Phoenix but now you mention it my mother always sat on a chair in a lady like fashion. I don't ever remember her sitting downstairs in her dressing gown either. Different times.

lovingit Thu 10-Oct-19 21:47:53

As long as I can ride my horse I'm not old.

Greenfinch Thu 10-Oct-19 22:05:12

As long as I can get on and off a train I am not old.

paddyann Thu 10-Oct-19 22:10:42

as long as I can race my GD to the corner shop ,and not be out of breath

JackyB Thu 10-Oct-19 22:21:42

I can sit on my legs, but it takes ages for them to come back to life again afterwards. Awkward if I'm getting out of the chair to go to the loo in a hurry!

My mother could cut her own toenails at 98. I can't, but that's because I have a bit more tummy than she ever did.

As long as I can still ride a bike I suppose I'm not past it, though.

BlueBelle Thu 10-Oct-19 22:31:11

As long as I continue sitting on the floor (my normal place) to watch tv at night I ll know I m not that old
As long as I can still touch my nose with my big toe
( the fact I can still do a ‘full lotus’ is a real bonus)
I m just lucky I m fairly supple I don’t do any yoga or anything like that

Bellanonna Thu 10-Oct-19 22:46:27

Putting jeans on standing up

Merelina Thu 10-Oct-19 23:56:35

Lovinit

If you are like Our Dear Queen you will be

crazyH Fri 11-Oct-19 00:06:07

As long as I sing in the shower, I don't feel old ....

BradfordLass72 Fri 11-Oct-19 03:09:20

I'm old and there's a lot I can no longer do but I don't mind.

It's part of life's rich pattern, slightly smudged in my case.

What's wrong with being old?

kittylester Fri 11-Oct-19 06:18:56

As long as I can be busy I wont be old.

shysal Fri 11-Oct-19 09:11:08

As long as I can get in and out of the bath I am not old. I love my daily early morning soak with a book to read, so if the time comes when I can't I shall have to buy some sort of lifting gear.
Also would miss my morning walk terribly if I couldn't manage it, which would also make me old.

Gonegirl Fri 11-Oct-19 09:13:03

Can't think of anything.

Must be old.

And?

KatyK Fri 11-Oct-19 09:37:49

As long as I can run for the bus.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 11-Oct-19 09:45:09

As long as I can cycle with the use of an electric bike. I sit on one of those big training balls in the evening to watch tv, it makes my back feel so much better.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:01:17

As long as I can walk the white cliffs. (Dover).

EllanVannin Fri 11-Oct-19 10:35:38

As long as I can spring up from the armchair without holding on to the sides,using my own strength-----there's hope for me yet.

DanniRae Fri 11-Oct-19 13:48:14

Oh dear - after reading this thread I now know that I am old. However, when people find out that I have a 48 year old daughter they often say that I don't look old enough - so I guess my body is old (bad) but I don't look old (good).
I'll have to be content with that I suppose hmm

KatyK Fri 11-Oct-19 13:57:35

DanniRae My daughter is nearly 50. At the weekend, someone asked if we were sisters. I was thrilled. She wasn't.

MiniMoon Fri 11-Oct-19 16:04:43

As long as I can go for a walk, and find myself up Coniston Old Man, I'm not old!

Just spent three days looking after four grandchildren. I hadn't time to feel old ??

Nonnie Fri 11-Oct-19 16:28:19

EllanVannin Fri 11-Oct-19 10:35:38 me too and I can still do sit-ups easily. Can't touch my toes but I never could.

I think that as long as I can still take care of the garden I will be happy.

Nonnie Fri 11-Oct-19 16:31:18

Something else, I put my socks on standing up and not holding onto anything. I think that is good but not sure if my wobbling means I will soon have to sit down!

If you can do the following you must be young - stand on one leg in a corner and close you eyes. Best to put one finger on each wall before you close eyes or you will fall over. Then take your fingers away. It is much harder than you think!