Gransnet forums

Chat

A stranger did something really nice for me today

(100 Posts)
Chewbacca Fri 11-Oct-19 21:16:13

I've needed a new pair of boots for a while now but finances are a bit tight to say the least, so I nipped into M & S to see if they had any reasonably priced ones. Found a pair that I liked at the top end of my budget and took them to the pay point. The man who served me asked if I had the M & S discount code but I didn't even know about them and so just shook my head. He smiled at me and said "Well, you're in luck! I've got one here!" And he swiped the voucher and instantly knocked almost £10.00 off the price! I was so surprised and delighted, I could have hugged him but I thanked him profusely instead.

Tomorrow, I'm going to forward on "a kindness to a stranger". smile

Grannybags Fri 11-Oct-19 21:26:20

How lovely! Doesn't it lift your spirits when a complete stranger does something nice for you? 😊

EllanVannin Fri 11-Oct-19 21:29:15

I love hearing things like this.

Chewbacca Fri 11-Oct-19 21:29:41

Yup! And he was so lovely about doing it too!

Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 21:31:51

Same here EllanVannin ...I bet you will remember that chap for years to come Chewbacca!!

KatyK Fri 11-Oct-19 21:34:14

How lovely. I used to get M&S 20 percent off vouchers through the post with my Sparks card. For some reason I don't now but if ever I had a spare one and was queuing to pay, I would always offer one to someone in the queue.

SueDonim Fri 11-Oct-19 21:35:31

Ah, that's lovely!

I heard a 'kindness' story today, too. I met an old friend and asked after her mother, who is about 90yo. Mother had only gone and booked herself a solo trip to Las Vegas, because she'd never been!

On the trip out, the airline upgraded her to First Class. Then one evening when she went to pay for dinner in a restaurant the waitress told her that the family at the next table had already paid for her meal. She said they hadn't even spoken or anything but they took that very kind action anyway.

It gives you hope in humankind. smile

Nortsat46 Sat 12-Oct-19 08:14:53

I was once walking through Holborn, in London on a very wet day, with driving rain. I saw a homeless woman huddled in a doorway, asleep but she must have been soaked by the direction of the heavy rain.

Ahead of me was a 'City' type man, in a suit and an overcoat, with a large black umbrella. He ducked into the doorway and propped his umbrella over the sleeping woman, to shield her from the rain. Then he continued on his way umbrella-less, getting soaked himself ... What a guy!

Beckett Sat 12-Oct-19 08:37:33

I think these little acts of kindness happen more often than we know. We only hear about the nasty things that happen.

We are told when two neighbours fall out and have a fight but we are rarely told about the neighbour who regularly looks in on an ill or elderly neighbour

NanKate Sat 12-Oct-19 08:40:26

I got hopelessly stuck in a car park trying to reverse our car (a very long one then). A young man got out of his car and said he would direct me and I said I couldn’t do it but he insisted I would be fine. He got me out of a very tight spot. I wanted to thank him profusely but he jumped into his own car and zoomed off. He was so good looking too 😄

sodapop Sat 12-Oct-19 08:51:45

NanKate gringrin

I agree Beckett we hear about the bad things people do but not often the kind things, makes the day brighter doesn't it.

Maggiemaybe Sat 12-Oct-19 08:52:07

SueDonim and Nortsat46, your posts have really warmed my cockles this morning!

annsixty Sat 12-Oct-19 09:01:11

One of my friends has a very good and kind D.
Their elderly neighbours played on this a little, even to the extent of ringing any time day and night for help.
When the second one died they were absolutely astonished to be left over £100, 000 in their will.
Their very good deeds brought them a huge reward, they would have done it anyway.

Harris27 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:06:43

Aw these threads have lifted my heart!

Septimia Sat 12-Oct-19 09:13:01

I'm a dab hand at turning my ankle over and going flying.

I did it on two occasions when I was in town. Each time a young man came to help me up.

The thing is that neither of them looked very respectable, yet they had the kindness to help. No-one else did anything.

DoraMarr Sat 12-Oct-19 09:46:04

I was going by taxi to a hospital appointment. I had woken up that morning feeling very anxious about it, although it hadn’t bothered me up until then. We’d hardly left when I cried out “Stop! I don’t think I have my hospital letter!” I found it in my bag, and we carried on. The driver began chatting, asking me lots of questions about where I lived and...actually, I have forgotten most of it. When we arrived, he turned to me and said “good luck my dear, I hope all is well.” I realised he was trying to distract me, and that simple act of kindness gave me a lump in my throat, so I had to stop and take a breath before I walked in to the hospital.

bikergran Sat 12-Oct-19 10:06:04

Myself and family went on a little weekend away a few months ago, we had to leave a day early as my mum had a few weeks before been diagnosed with a cancer.

I explained to the hotelier that my mum had received and appointment and we had to leave a day earl.

When we went to pay the bill she didn't charge us for the extra night that we should have been there.

Persistentdonor Sat 12-Oct-19 10:18:31

I read once that many people never speak to anyone except shop assistants in an average day, so if I think something nice about someone I will say it to them, with a smile.

I shall probably be arrested one of these days, blush but if I can lift someone's spirits, I'm happy.

jacq10 Sat 12-Oct-19 10:25:14

When DH was poorly on the rare occasion I had some time to myself I used to nip into a favourite cafe in town for a coffe and croissant and sort out my head. One day I shared a table with a young Canadian girl who was tracing her Scottish ancestry. We chatted and I gave her some local info. When I went to pay my bill it had already been paid! The same thing happened some time later - this time it was a young chap about the same age as my DS and as he had left the area to go to Uni many years previous we discussed all the changes, etc. I think we had about a half hour chat and it gave me such a lift before I headed home. Thinking about it now I am wondering if they had sensed I had my worries.

Jane10 Sat 12-Oct-19 10:29:48

This is the sort of thing that really makes the world go round. Little kindnesses. I once had a puncture in the car park of a sports centre. I'd summoned help so was just waiting. A lady that I only knew by sight came and asked if she could get me a coffee as I might be in for a long cold wait. Such kindness!

Carillion01 Sat 12-Oct-19 10:31:35

Chewbacca, a lovely thread. It's really lifted my day. Thank you.
Xxx
💕💐💕💐

eebeew Sat 12-Oct-19 10:38:51

When we first moved to NewZealand many years ago we found it lovely that people you pass on a walk or in the street would smile and say “Hi”. We still do it and it really does enhance an outing. It doesn’t happen in the city but most other places it’s still very common. (Except for visitors who don’t know our friendly ways and look steadfastly ahead!)
Funnily enough when my son aged about 19 went to London he started chatting to people on the tube! Bit like Crocodile Dundee!

KatyK Sat 12-Oct-19 11:08:33

I've just remembered a recent act of kindness. We were on our way back from holiday, so quite a few miles from home. We went to a National Trust property with a view to getting our daughter a particular calendar that we buy her each year. There were none on the shelf but I spotted a lady with one she was buying. I ask her where she found it and she told me it was the last one. I asked the assistant and she said they hadn't got any more until the following week. I thanked her but said we lived too far away to travel back. The lady who was buying it said 'Have this one. I don't live too far away and can come back next week'. How kind.

toscalily Sat 12-Oct-19 11:15:46

This is so nice to read, little rays of sunshine amongst all the doom & gloom. Yesterday while in Waitrose (normally its Lidl) I wanted a pack of chunky fish fingers, there were only two packs left right at the back of the top cabinet, no way could I reach being far too short, no sign of floor staff anywhere. Further down the isle a tall gentleman was talking to two ladies so I went across and waited for a pause in the conversation, all three laughed when I asked for help, one lady obviously his wife said " he does come in useful sometimes" a light hearted encounter and he helped me out of my dilemma.

Maggiemaybe Sat 12-Oct-19 11:39:57

eebeew, people certainly still do speak in the street round here (Yorkshire)!

I actually think Londoners get a bad press. They may be more reserved in general, but we’ve always found people there as friendly and helpful as anywhere else when we’ve needed it. For example we’ve always had offers of help when obviously struggling with maps (yes, a common occurrence for DH and me!).

lemongrove Sat 12-Oct-19 11:49:18

Chewy.....it was your famous good looks and the fishnet stockings that helped.wink The assistants in my M&S ( all women) aren’t pleasant to customers at all, never mind going the extra mile.
I always ask tall men ( if my own tall man isn’t available)😁to reach things for me in supermarkets, after the initial shock if being addressed by a stranger ( and a woman!) has worn off, they are usually very eager to help and go off afterwards in a saintly glow.So, really it’s a service to allow them to be useful.
🤣 ( waits for the couple of men on GN to wade in with indignant posts.)

Most people are helpful if asked, but it’s the ones who help without having to be asked that are really kind.

Jane10 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:00:36

I agree Maggiemaybe. I've never forgotten coming out of a suburban railway station in London and being completely lost. I was turning my map around when a nice man (not creepy at all) came up and offered to help. He then asked a passing lollipop lady for her help and she said, 'jump in,' to me and drove me to the door of my destination in her mini.
DH was appalled that I'd spoken to a strange man and got in a stranger's car but it was patently obvious that they were just nice people.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:05:20

That's lovely chew - it helps to reinstate your faith in the human race doesn't it? Enjoy your new boots, I hope they're comfy and provide many happy years of wear.

giulia Sat 12-Oct-19 12:20:51

Years back I got a flat tyre on a provincial road outside Rome. Nobody in sight. I got out and started flapping around aimlessly.

A car stopped. Inside was Rossano Brazzi: his mechanic was accompanying home and it was outside his house that I'd got the flat tyre.

He got his mechanic to fix it. We got chatting and exchanged phone numbers.

A while later, I was able to return his kindness when he called me asking to recommend somebody to mend his boiler!

giulia Sat 12-Oct-19 12:29:37

Maggiemaybe Yes, Londoners can be great. I arrived at Victoria Station with a heavy case and needed the public loo.

I couldn't manage to get it either throught the turnstile or through the gap between the turnstile and the wall.

A young man ran over and sorted my problem and, once on the other side of the turnstile, three different ladies all rushed forward offering to carry it down the steep ramps of stairs for me. The lady who did it looked like a highly businessswoman too.

They both brushed off my thanks with a shrug.

Maybe I was looking extra delicate that day!

janipat Sat 12-Oct-19 12:50:07

Chewbacca what a lovely thread, so cheering on a gloomy day.
Thank you to those that have said Londoners can be nice smile you've made my day, it's very hurtful to constantly read how unfriendly Londoners are. I think people forget that London is populated with people from all over the country and indeed the world, some open and friendly, some not. I think the map reading thing often gets offered help. I know we'd barely exited Gare du Nord in Paris, opened the map and peered at it, when we were approached by a lady with fabulous English offering assistance. Given that my French is closer to non existent that was very welcome! I like to "pay it forward" too Chewbacca.

SueDonim Sat 12-Oct-19 13:00:04

Rossano Brazzi? :faint: grin

These are such nice stories. Where I live in Scotland it's pretty friendly and people speak all the time. I find London, where my son lives, quite lonely as few people pass the time of day with you there.

Luckygirl Sat 12-Oct-19 14:55:03

The Zimbawean carer who was with us for a month or so, had lived in London for about 20 years - this was the only place in Britain that she knew. When she came to stay with us there were things that she was pleasantly surprised by.

She was amazed that people wandering down the lane would stop and pass the time of day with her, wave to her, smile at her etc. And one day the bus picked her up and took her to town - in spite of the fact that she had had no plans to go to town! - the driver thought she was looking for the bus stop! She waited at the terminus for 10 minutes then got the next bus back! But every time afterwards that she went to town the driver would drop her off outside our house so she did not have to walk up the hill. She was blown away by all this.

Merelina Sat 12-Oct-19 18:10:10

We live almost opposite the hospital where my husband was to have a hernia operation and had to be there by 7,30 am. It is so close we decided to walk, even though he is hampered by two leg operations (he nearly lost it )due to cancer. There we were, two old things with his overnight bag, trundling along when I couldn’t resist an empty taxi passing. I hailed it, rather shamefacedly indicated the hospital almost opposite, apologising to the driver for the shortness of the fare. He helped us, did a U turn, deposited us on the forecourt of the hospital and resolutely refused my proffered fiver and wished us good luck. Such kindness

Septimia Sat 12-Oct-19 18:32:09

Going back to the comments about speaking to people, everyone used to know each other in our village and always spoke when meeting in the street. There are more new people now, but I make a point of passing the time of day with them - and with random passing cyclists and horse riders.

I don't know if it cheers them up, but it certainly makes me feel better!

Farmor15 Sat 12-Oct-19 19:13:30

We’ve been the recipient of various “random acts of kindness” over the years and try to pass it forward. One of the best was on a camping holiday with 4 children in France and Northern Italy in 2003 - year of the big heatwave. Having driven into Italy in searing heat in minivan with no air conditioning, we stopped for lunch at a pizza place. We’d no idea where we were going to camp that night but on an impulse, decided to ask advice from another customer. She told us she lived in a village not far away and we could camp in her garden! At first we thought it would be a bit cheeky to accept, but then decided we might as well, as offer seemed genuine.

We found our way there, and were welcomed by the rest of her family, and the neighbours, given the use of their bathroom and were lucky enough to be there on the night of the village festival, with music, food and dancing. When we left next day, with a good suggestion of where to go next, they gave us home-grown tomatoes and some other produce. We’ve never forgotten their generosity.

DoraMarr Sat 12-Oct-19 19:40:53

I’m actually in the process of writing down all the nice things people have done for me over the years, as well as little acts of kindness I have heard about. It’s really cheering! I’m calling it “The kindness of strangers” from “A streetcar named Desire.” Taxi drivers seem, with a few exceptions, to be extremely kind. In Paris recently a taxi driver drove me to a bistro he recommended for lunch, then told me earnestly to be careful of pickpockets in Gare du Nord, and suggested I put my coat on over my bag. And another taxi driver told me that he had driven, after midnight at the end of his shift, right across the city to return a bag with a purse and mobile phone a customer had left in his car “because she would be worried.”

Ginny42 Sat 12-Oct-19 19:49:26

Jayne10 your story jogged my memory of a similar incident with a puncture. I'd injured my foot quite badly, causing me to limp. I'd paid £25 for a charity lunch and decided to go anyway. At the end I limped to my car and flopped into the driver's seat when there was a tap at the window to hear that I had flat tyre. It was pouring down so I went back to reception to wait for the emergency repair man.

The girl asked if I'd like a coffee and she came with a lovely tray with coffee. a jug of hot milk and three chocolates.

The repair man arrived and lo and behold it was my usual garage. He changed the tyre and I asked if he would dispose of it and source me a new one. He said, It'll be Tuesday and get that foot seen to.

Tuesday morning I thought I've got to get to that garage. I can't go anywhere without a spare tyre. A short time later there was a ring on the doorbell. I opened the door and it was the mechanic. Imagine my surprise when he said I've come to fit your new tyre and put the spare back in the boot as there's no way you should be driving with that foot. As he drove off he called 'Don't forget, get to the hobble-in centre'.

TerryM Sun 13-Oct-19 09:27:52

Husband and I had just arrived in Prague. Snowing hard and no one would help (they thought we were gypsies as we spoke English ). We managed to get on a tram. Then the tram and many in front got bogged down in the snow
We were told to get off and catch a train
We walked across the road (I am almost in tears so tired and cold ) and looked at two very long sets of stairs to get down to the train station .
My husband and I were trying to work out how we could get down
This lovely brawny young man dressed in a suit picked up my cases and beckoned me and I followed him down.
My husband a good few steps behind me. The young man put my bags down at the bottom and then went back to help my husband
He didn't speak English and just smiled and walked off
He will never know how much we appreciated that rescue

TillyWhiz Sun 13-Oct-19 09:31:40

giulia Yes those loos at Victoria definitely need updating and made more accessible! I was helped by a man who looked after my cases whilst I used the loo and I returned the favour by giving him the 30p he didn't have to get through the turnstile. My SIL was horrified but it was siege mentality during Storm Miguel!

NannyG123 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:37:45

About 20 years ago my son was attacked, we got a cab to take us to him it was 10pm, when we got out of the cab the driver wouldn't except any money. He just wished us good luck and hoped they caught the people who attacked my son. This was in London.

flaxwoven Sun 13-Oct-19 09:46:25

Southerner here. We parked next to the swimming pool to take grandson swimming and my husband was about to put money in the meter when a builder from the site next door who operated a huge crane offered him the ticket he had paid for all day, as he said it was too windy to operate the crane. Another one - I was in M & S and went to the 2nd floor to have a quick lunch and had my shopping trolley with me. Then I found the lifts were out of order. A young girl assistant offered to carry my trolley down all the way to the ground floor. She told me she was at university and M & S was a part-time job.

4allweknow Sun 13-Oct-19 09:46:46

Occasionally I receive discount tickets for friends and family from M & S. I too have offered a ticket to a stranger to get the substantial discount. Better a discounted sale for the store than none at all.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:47:47

When I see anyone in London looking around and studying their maps, I always approach them gently with a warm smile and offer my help. You'd be surprised at the number of times I get a cold look and they turn away quickly, in case I stab or pickpocket them. Yet we hear of unfriendly Londoners more.

GrannyMosh Sun 13-Oct-19 09:48:09

Thank you for all these lovely stories, you have cheered me up no end! Been awake half the night hatching yet another cold - swollen glands, temperature, the lot - and wondering if I'll be able to have my Herceptin injection tomorrow. I get the injections every three weeks, and the infections with roughly the same frequency. You have all done a lot to raise my spirits, and I am very grateful thanks

Jane10 Sun 13-Oct-19 09:52:59

Sorry to hear that GrannyMosh. What bad luck. Hope you feel better soon. The first day of a cold is so miserable.

Mythbirtthedragon Sun 13-Oct-19 09:56:12

This is such a nice thread; I’m in the ‘pay forward’ mode and believe what goes around comes around. My big sister said I had the ability to look pathetic, hence people frequently offering to carry my suitcase etc, like the man who carried my case upstairs at a bus station and in the other hand had the front end of his child’s buggy. And this was when I was 19. On my way to uni a couple of months later, my suitcase was taken to the halls of residence by 2 blokes in a NW water van when they took pity on me lugging it up the street. I don’t think it matters where you are, you will always find thoughtful people

Agranbytheendofthesummer Sun 13-Oct-19 10:00:25

A few years ago I helped a very elderly lady off the bus with her shopping. She said ‘I don’t care what people say, I think today’s young people are very kind’ I was 58. Made my day 😊

GrannyMosh Sun 13-Oct-19 10:02:43

Jane10, thank you x
I read a long time ago that it is up to us to be the change we wish to see in the world. I try to live by that advice. Wouldn't it be lovely if we all seized every opportunity to do something kind for a stranger, and that inspired those strangers to do something kind, and so on...the best kind of epidemic!!

Bobdoesit Sun 13-Oct-19 10:06:24

A similar thing happened to me in M&S in Dorchester. I was telling my husband how much I liked a certain handbag but complaining it was way above my budget. I could not believe it when the lady stocking the shelves offered me her staff discount card! I thought she was joking but not a bit of it; she accompanied me to the till and handed over her card! This was three years ago, and I’ve never forgotten her kindness.

Thebeeb Sun 13-Oct-19 10:09:38

Like to put the other side of this.
I volunteer in a hospital cafe and often offer to take trays etc to tables if customers can’t manage or find spots for wheelchairs etc.
People are so pleased and thankful that it lifts my spirits too.
It’s such a pay back to me too. Come out feeling rather good.
Apologies if this sounds smug.

JanT2004 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:21:05

I have 6 online codes to get 20% off at M&S on clothing, beauty and homeware. They last until close of play tomorrow. If anyone wants one please message me and you are welcome to one. They are single use (one per transaction).

Nonnie Sun 13-Oct-19 10:29:40

Thanks for this thread Chew and all those who have posted their experiences, I needed something positive today.

I am fortunate to live in a place where people smile and say hello or whatever as they pass. I have also been the recipient of small kindnesses and hope I find enough opportunities to do the same. We have lovely neighbours and I'm sure if we wanted any kind of help they would give it.

The last one was when a lovely small man came to collect something we had given away on freecycle and did some heavy lifting while he was here. He then sent of photo of the item we had given erected in his garden with a pleasant thank you.

Heather51 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:30:56

Our post is usually delivered around 10 in the morning. On my birthday (a Saturday) we had a second delivery of a card. When I mentioned to the postman the following week about the additional delivery he said that he had found the card at the bottom of his bag when he’d finished but came back to deliver it as he thought it would have been a shame to miss the day. So thoughtful of him.

Riggie Sun 13-Oct-19 10:38:20

This was a couple of years ago. Near Christmas I was in Hobbycraft queuing to pay. The person at the till paid and she was given a voucher for her next purchase. Said she wouldnt use it and passed it on to the person behind her who used it for her purchase. She was then given a voucher and passed it on to the person behind her and so on, it was still going on when I left, much to the amusement of the cashier!

Eglantine21 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:38:51

I was in the DIY store yesterday, puzzling (and getting a bit despairing) over which products I needed for a problem in my new house when a man came up to me and said, “I’m a professional decorator. Tell me what you want to do.”

I explained and then he took me to what I needed and left with a cheery “Hope it goes well.”

GrannyMosh Sun 13-Oct-19 10:47:55

I do wish there was a 'like' button!

MTDancer Sun 13-Oct-19 10:48:16

Years ago when things were very tight someone on a forum read between the lines that I was hard up. She asked for my address saying she wanted to send a card.
She sent a huge Christmas hamper full of goodies for me and the other half.
She said she wanted to teach her kids about kindness.
I send her a card every year, it made me cry.
Then, 20 years ago, we were on vacation in America and I bought my son a hockey top and was presented with a 75% off voucher for the next week. I asked the next customer in line if she would like it and she was delighted. We got chatting and have been friends ever since. She even travelled across state with her husband (whom we had never met) to witness us retaking our vows in a country church in the Appalachian mountains. Her husband thought she was crazy and said we might me axe murderers for all she knew. He, also, is now a firm friend
The world needs more random acts of kindness. Pay it forward people x

RosesAreRed21 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:03:56

No matter how much the saving doesnt a gesture like that just make your day.

pamdixon Sun 13-Oct-19 11:12:24

I remember years ago, in Oxford Street, in London seeing a lost looking woman. Turns out she was russian and had lost the group she was with and didn't know how to get on the tube. I took her down various escalators etc at Oxford Circus, and put her on her tube. In halting english she said 'I hope one day someone will be as nice to you as you have been to me'. I never forgot that!!!

georgia101 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:18:50

I too have had a guardian angel. My car got a puncture in a narrow road in rush hour. It was absolutely pouring with rain. I'd never changed a tyre before, but was going to try to do it as I had no choice. All of a sudden a lovely man appeared and offered to do it for me. I was so grateful. He got soaked to help a stranger. I wasn't a good looking young woman or a helpless old lady. Just middle aged. The sort of age that you don't think anyone notices you. I've never forgotten him in over 30 years, and hope he received help when he needed it most.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:20:27

It doesn’t cost a thing to be kind and makes everyone’s day I regularly give all my mags I’ve read on a weekly basis to a senior citizen who does go out much makes her day, give vouchers away to ppl rather than putting them in recycling

Lancslass1 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:21:56

Heartwarming to hear all these stories.
The lovely thing is that the person who is doing the kind deed gets as much pleasure from doing so as the one who receives it.
Another thing that makes my day is when a stranger pays me a compliment.
I quite often do that especially when there is a small well behaved child on a seat near to me on a bus or train.
The mother always seems pleased when I compliment her on her child’s behaviour.

Happiyogi Sun 13-Oct-19 11:31:39

Thanks for starting this thread Chewbacca. All these stories of kindness from strangers are like a comforting light in the dark.

As a teenager I was hitch hiking in Europe with a friend (I know, I know!) and arrived in a port city in the early evening. The youth hostel was full and couldn't help with a recommendation of anywhere else suitable. This was long before the invention of mobiles and the internet, so we thought we'd ask local people if there was a small hotel nearby. A young couple with a small child and a baby insisted that we stay with them! It felt like the woes of the world had lifted from us. They were so lovely, and gave us breakfast too in the morning. They wouldn't accept any payment but we did send them a postcard from our next destination. I've often remembered their kindness to strangers when we were in real need - and it is staggering to think that their children will now be in their fifties!

Madmaggie Sun 13-Oct-19 12:20:47

I got some of those discount sparks vouchers recently, I gave them to my daughter to pass round at work. A lady once handed one to me in M&S and I was glad of it, I've never forgotten so now I try to pass on the love too ☺ you never know how much it might mean to someone.

MegrannyW1 Sun 13-Oct-19 13:24:51

How lovely to hear nice, positive things for a change. It has made my day

newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 13:44:04

My sister works in a service station at a Moto she gets a very fgood 79% discount card and a 40% off for family and friends which she has generously given to me. I use it, I lend it to my 2 sons who also use it to get the discount for themselves and their friends, I lend it to my foster child and his social worker and last time we were using it at a serve station on a journey home I was in a queue and about 8 teenagers who were there looking at prices saying they were starving and working out what they could afford. After I had bought our meals I went to one of teens and told them I had card that could get them 40% off and they were absolutely delighted. I think we should all try to offer help and kindness if we can.

newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 13:46:28

I have also given my dd and her friends the free 6 cinema vouchers you get with a Club Lloyds bank account as we don't have the right cinema near to me and I don't want magazines. She is glad of them as cheap night out for her and friends.

Jennyluck Sun 13-Oct-19 14:40:08

I’d been in town shopping alone, and was having a really down day. I decided to pop into preta manger for coffee, to take on the bus with me.
Asked for my drink and the young woman serving said , have it me. So shocked I said pardon, she said it again.
She made my drink and I thanked her.
Really lifted my spirits that day.

Coyoacan Sun 13-Oct-19 14:53:51

Once when I was young, a lot of things had gone wrong and I was very seriously thinking of killing myself.

On my absolutely worst day, I wandered into a second-hand clothing shop and picked up a scarf to buy. The young man behind the counter gave it to me for free. With that action he changed my mind and I decided to get on with life.

LizH13 Sun 13-Oct-19 15:11:01

Oh Coyoacan that just proves that we never know how much a small good deed might have on another person. So glad that he changed your course. flowers

Sueki44 Sun 13-Oct-19 15:31:15

My husband and I always let the person behind us in the supermarket queue with only a few items go before us when we have a trolley full. It’s such a little thing, but it cheers everyone up....especially if it ends up being a couple of customers ! Not trying to be smug, but these days little actions make us remember how lucky we are.

schnackie Sun 13-Oct-19 15:35:58

This thread has been a joy to read so thank you all for sharing your stories. I also have an important UPDATE for some posters- Refurbishments of the toilets at Victoria Station are now complete! The are accessible, larger, and best of all - FREE.

Bijou Sun 13-Oct-19 15:57:29

I have to use a scooter when shopping and it is very painful for me to get on and off it to reach items

out of my reach. Often elderly people offer to help me whereas younger folk watch me struggle. One elderly lady accompanied by her son offered for him to go round the supermarket with me.
In Sainsburys one of the checkout ladies helps me sort out and packs my bags and puts the cold stuff in my cold bag.

newnanny Sun 13-Oct-19 15:58:43

I always give my vouchers for schools to people with school aged children. They always seem pleased too.

Erlinda Sun 13-Oct-19 16:23:56

Santa Fe, NM USA. This post touched my heart. Kindness can turn a day into blessing. I worked for the NM State Senate and often took my lunch break down to our picturesque plaza from the Capitol building. One day a lady stopped me and said, ‘I just love your earrings!’ I took them off and gave them to her, with the understanding she would give them to the next woman who liked them. Wonder how far they have gone?

GardenerGran Sun 13-Oct-19 16:53:52

I was out in town one evening with my best friend going from one bar to the next when as I crossed the road in my ridiculously high brand new shoes, I went flying full length. As I lay in the road a young man rushed to my side to help me up, saying ‘Are you ok, let me help you up’. The as I staggered to my feet we looked at each other and I heard the words ‘Mum!’. I don’t know who was more surprised! I was gratified that my son had rushed to help someone but a bit shamefaced even though I’d not had much to drink at that point. I never wore those shoes again!

Jane10 Sun 13-Oct-19 17:01:07

grinblush GardenerGran!!

Dollybird1 Sun 13-Oct-19 17:48:55

I believe in earth angels.

BusterTank Sun 13-Oct-19 17:50:27

I'm true believer in what's goes around comes around . So if you do something nice for someone else , someone will do something nice back to you . It also goes the other way so don't do bad to others .

Urmstongran Sun 13-Oct-19 19:31:58

I found a tenner on the pavement yesterday. No one about so I picked it up and passed it on to someone later who I know is having financial worries. When she answered the door I just pretended I’d found it on the pavement outside her house - so it wasn’t really from ‘me’ anyway.

suzette1613 Sun 13-Oct-19 19:56:04

Happiyogi, I met some lovely kind people years ago when hitchhiking too (we didn`t call it backpacking then.)

Coming from Switzerland down into Italy, 5 of us split up and had arranged to meet in a little coastal town on arrival. We got together quite quickly but had nowhere to sleep and needed to go to the local post office for something. No one in those days seemed to speak any English there. A lovely Italian woman came up to us in the queue and not only helped us there but invited us to her and her boyfriend`s place for a meal and found us a place to sleep.

I shall never forget her kindness to 5 scruffy students she had only just met.

Katyj Sun 13-Oct-19 20:00:04

I'd been called to the hospital late one evening to see my poorly mum.In my panic i hadn't thought to check if i had any money for the machine ,a middle aged man approached and asked me if I was okay, i explained the situation he immediately put 4 pound in the machine for me .I was so grateful, I didn't know what to say apart from thank you very much.It put a smile back on my face.

grannybuy Mon 14-Oct-19 05:00:11

I am in New York, as we speak, and the kindness and helpfulness of so many people has astonished me. I challenged myself to the task of getting from the airport to the property DD and family have rented in Brooklyn. There was always someone offering to take my suitcase up and down stairs when there were neither lift nor escalator. Any time we have asked for directions, if the person doesn't know, they have found it on their phone. One couple walked with us to find the subway that we wanted. I have been offered a seat on the subway on most journeys if the carriage has been full. I haven't come across any rudeness or negativity so far. It has been heartwarming.

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 13:38:14

I don't want this thread to end!

I keep coming back to it to read the latest stories.

They have brought a lump to my throat on several occasions and put a smile on my face.

Oldandverygrey Mon 14-Oct-19 17:19:33

I travelled through London recently on the Underground, and every train I got on I was immediately offered a seat. Such kindness, but it also brought it home to me I really do look my age!

GrannyMosh Tue 15-Oct-19 08:05:55

giulia;

Me too!!

NfkDumpling Tue 15-Oct-19 08:35:03

I was nearly banned from our local Sainsbury’s as I’d bought a string bag of satsumas with a BOGOF offer. I took the free bag and once through the checkout, passed it on to a lady with a couple of children. It was an offer they had often - so I did it several times over a few weeks. In the end the cashier manager had a quiet word with me! She didn’t have a leg to stand on but the satsuma BOGOF stopped!

We regularly pass on car park tickets with time left on them (perhaps that’s why so many car parks make you put in your car number), and I really like the idea of passing back the £* off your next bill in supermarkets. I don’t know why it hadn’t occurred to me! We wouldn’t do it in our little local supermarket though as it’s an independent up against a Tesco up the road.

GrannySomerset Tue 15-Oct-19 08:56:08

Some years ago I was driving to an event in Cardiff and, as often happens, got lost (pre everyone having a satnav). I pulled into a service station and went in, carrying my map book, to ask for help. A young white van man, covered tattoos and piercings, was paying for patrol and said “follow me, I can go that way”. So I followed him and was delivered to my destination and learned again that you should never judge a book by its cover.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 15-Oct-19 09:47:27

And I bet he felt good as well. He must have really enjoyed your thankful response and delight. Well done both of you.

suzette1613 Tue 15-Oct-19 09:56:10

Recently I was struggling by train from Oxford to Birmingham Had a couple of changes, with lots of heavy luggage and was helped spontaneously by a young man with a shaved head, tattoos and piercings. He couldn`t have been kinder and carried my cases for me to the right platform and once on the train another lovely girl helped me find a place to put them. I have very fond memories of Reading station for those reasons! It made me realise I am seen as old though!

Blondiescot Tue 15-Oct-19 11:36:25

I'm sitting here choked full of the cold and feeling a bit sorry for myself, but this thread has really lifted my spirits. There are more good people out there than we often realise...

humptydumpty Tue 15-Oct-19 11:57:00

When DD was at primary school I was on my way to pick her up and stopped for a few groceries, parking on the opposite side of the road. Returning to the car I tripped and fell flat on my face in the middle of the road. Two ladies picked me and my groceries up and took me to my car, and bought a bottle of water for me; the one asked where I was going, and took me to the school and picked up my daughter, then delivered both of us back to my car, because she thoought I looked too shaken up to drive. I've never forgotten their kindness.

JenniferEccles Tue 15-Oct-19 12:13:20

This lovely thread actually confirms what I have always said, that in the main most people ARE kind and polite.

Obviously there are exceptions but I encounter far more pleasant folk in my day to day life than rude or unpleasant ones.

Every single time I go out in the car for instance, at least one person will flash to let me out of a junction.

We hear so much about bad manners and selfishness these days don’t we, so it is lovely to see the other side on this thread.

SueDonim Tue 15-Oct-19 15:16:47

It's my book group this week but one of my friends is in hospital with a broken leg. The ward sister has given us permission to have our meeting in one of their community rooms so that our poorly friend can join us! How lovely is that?

seacliff Wed 16-Oct-19 14:50:35

I'd been really enjoying this thread, very heart warming amongst all the doom and gloom. Now suddenly and unexpectedly, a stranger has done something lovely for me.

I was asking questions on a forum about best way to update my non smart TV by getting a gadget. It is quite complicated, there are various options, as I have rubbish broadband. Considering a Fire Stick etc.

Then one of the contributors messaged me and said he had a spare Now TV box I could have, just for the costs of postage. He even sent it before I'd put the postage money in his account. They aren't very expensive but even so, it was so lovely of him to offer, and to do it, and to give advice on how to set it up etc. It made my day.

Even better I now have much more TV choice, and have found The Camomile Lawn mentioned on a separate thread. Happy days. Yes I will be sure to "pass it on" as soon as I get an opportunity.

seacliff Wed 16-Oct-19 14:52:10

I meant to say, he sent the whole box with all leads, plugs, instructions, and even batteries in the remote. smile

Jane10 Wed 16-Oct-19 15:49:48

Very kind of him seacliff.

grannysquaresandteddybears Mon 28-Oct-19 18:53:15

This was around two weeks ago. I was at the local retail park with friends, and as we were walking back to the car, I slipped on a wet leaf in the car park, dropping my shopping bag and everything falling from my handbag as I collapsed onto the wet ground, my friends heard a thud, turned round (the two of them were walking in in front of me), looked down and saw me in a heap on the ground with my shopping and the contents of my handbag strewn all over the zebra crossing, some lovely young man came over, pulled me up and put everything back in my bags! I was so embarrassed but very very grateful.

timetogo2016 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:40:28

I love M n S staff.
Always kind/helpful/happy to show you what you can`t find instore.
Nothing is too much for them.
I go to the Four Oaks branch in Sutton Coldfield and Cannock.
Always a pleasure.