Gransnet forums

Chat

What a moment

(46 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 12-Oct-19 09:20:47

Just found tears running down my face as I watched Eliud Kipchoge run a marathon in 1 hour 59.40 secs The first man to ever run under 2 hours what an achievement A humble farmer who used to run 2 miles to school every day What a guy and I m not even a sports lover

grapefruitpip Sat 12-Oct-19 09:23:22

There is something incredibly moving ( like that?) about seeing this.

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:24:18

Oh me too, thought I was a bit mad feeling so emotional about.

We witnessed history being made; brilliant smile

Pittcity Sat 12-Oct-19 09:25:28

What a lovely man.
I feel exhausted just watching but he isn't even out of breath.

KatyK Sat 12-Oct-19 09:38:46

Amazing smile

BlueBelle Sat 12-Oct-19 10:40:38

I m so glad I wasn’t the only one getting all choked up thought I was going dribbly in my old age I was willing him on in those last few seconds I only caught it accidentally what a moment and such a humble man who just wants others to see that anything can be achieved what a role model

EllanVannin Sat 12-Oct-19 12:32:00

Bless him. What an achievement after adversity. This man showed the world it CAN be done ! It doesn't take money !!

glammanana Sat 12-Oct-19 13:07:23

What a great story after all the horrible headline we have been seeing lately.

Daisymae Sat 12-Oct-19 14:28:17

I think that you will find that it does take money, a great deal of it. The record is not recognised because of all the help he has had, from over 40 pacemakers to special designed shoes.

grapefruitpip Sat 12-Oct-19 15:02:15

Sorry , what do you mean the record is not recognised?

Daisymae Sat 12-Oct-19 15:05:56

It's not recognised as an official world record

grapefruitpip Sat 12-Oct-19 15:26:02

Doesn't take away from the tremendous achievement.

grapefruitpip Sat 12-Oct-19 15:27:35

His run won't count as an official marathon record as it was not completed in open competition.

Kipchoge does hold the official fastest marathon record having run 2:01:39 at the 2018 Berlin Marathon.

Nevertheless, his time is a landmark achievement which he compared to Roger Bannister becoming the first person to run a four-minute mile.

Daisymae Sat 12-Oct-19 16:04:37

Couldn't help responding to the comment that money doesn't come into it. The petrochemical company that sponsored it ploughed in £15 million

4allweknow Sun 13-Oct-19 09:48:58

Yes, and his energy at the end was also unbelievable.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 10:40:54

Well you will all probably have a go at me but I have to say it. He had during the run 41 pacers who took it it in turns to run. In a race you can't do that, you can't change your pacer.

I think he would have done far better if he waited and just carried on racing, he was only just over the 2 hr mark and it would have come sometime. Its about money.

vickymeldrew Sun 13-Oct-19 11:04:35

Sorry, I’m another old cynic shattering illusions. These things are always about money. The logistics are staggering, not least the 41 pacemakers. They don’t grow on trees. It was a huge achievement of course but don’t let’s kid ourselves. It was actually a marathon run in laboratory conditions for financial gain.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 11:26:29

My you vickymeldrew, you said it far better than me. Mr Barmey is a runner, does mostly fell races these days but he said it was done in factory conditions and a farce. Wasn't impressed.

GrumpyGran8 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:29:44

I'm another old cynic - his win involved even more than pacemakers and tailor-made shoes.
The pacemakers were following laser lines drawn across the road in front of them that kept them at the right speed; he had people on bicyles handing him water instead of him having to pause momentarily to take water off a table; when he handed back the bottle his water input was instantly measured and a sports nutritionist decided when he should next have water.
It was a blatant display of technological cheating, as bad as doping in my view. The other runners were probably wondering why they bothered to even get out of bed that morning.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:30:10

Dear me (shakes head) crying over a man running a sub 2hrs 26mile specially selected flat course wearing specially made shoes, in perfectly chosen weather and time conditions with specially concocted drinks delivered by bike to his hand whilst being shielded from the vagaries of wind resistance by 40 elite runners taking turns in specially designed formations behind a vehicle marking out with lasers the paths runner and pacemakers should follow.
That's no true marathon. It's as valid as a falsified passport. Looks good but doesn't bear scrutiny.
Any one of those pacemakers could have done it under the same conditions.
Vanity running, like paying to publish your own book.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:32:07

The drinks were concocted by 'elite' nutritionists.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:33:42

They contained gel which sinks in your stomach and gives you a final burst of energy...or some such rubbish.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:38:48

it doesn't take MONEY ?
EllanVannin
You've obviously not read the papers or listened to the news.
Ridiculous...

Barmeyoldbat Sun 13-Oct-19 11:39:10

Oh GG54 may I say what a wonderful post. You are training to run a marathon so like me (I have only ever run 10k) you know real running and achievement when you see it. Not often I agree with you.

GabriellaG54 Sun 13-Oct-19 12:04:53

Thanks for that Barmeyoldbat
I'm not quite sure that it isn't a leg-pull hmm however, I've applied but my place has yet to be confirmed.
It's the Yorkshire Marathon and one of my daughters is hoping to be listed as a runner too.
I'll prob be stone last but will be trying my very best. smile